Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

A closer look at the episodes...

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 30 Jan 2009, 22:46

A closer look at the episodes...

AbFab never gets boring, and that's partly because there are so many subtile and hidden jokes to be discovered. I've seen all episodes more than ten times, and I'm still discovering new things when I'm paying less attention to the lines. Here's an example Phil mentioned in an other topic - look what Joanna's doing in the background:

I had never seen this until she pointed this out to me. :lol: These 'lil jokes make me realize once more what a brilliant show AbFab was...

(I know the caps are quite big, but you really have to take a closer look to see her hilarious facial expression)
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Jan 2009, 22:49

Re: A closer look at the episodes...

*takes a bow* thank you thank you, you're too kind :lol:
But seriously, it's fantastic to watch a whole episode, and just pay attention to the person in the background all the time. You see so many things you normally wouldn't notice, because the main focus of the scene is distracting you from the rest of the people. It's hilarious!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Jan 2009, 23:01

Philippa wrote:But seriously, it's fantastic to watch a whole episode, and just pay attention to the person in the background all the time. You see so many things you normally wouldn't notice, because the main focus of the scene is distracting you from the rest of the people. It's hilarious!

That's absolutely true.. :lol: When you're first watching a show, you usually pay attention to the lines, but that often makes you forget about the acting that happens in the background, but that's something very typical AbFab. Here's my favourite example: (again, focus on Jo)

And again, (it seems so silly now...) I had seen 'Small Opening' countless times 'till I finally noticed Jo taking the drugs in the background, partly because the timing is brilliant: the funny bits of the lines are said exactly at the same time Joanna is chewing the pills and hiding them, it's brilliant.
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Jan 2009, 23:27

Oh I love that bit! The first time I watched it, I didn't really understand why Patsy fell over at the end of that scene. But when you take a closer look at what she's doing before that moment, you realise it's because she took so many drugs, that even Patsy can't handle it anymore :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Jan 2009, 23:31

Philippa wrote:But when you take a closer look at what she's doing before that moment, you realise it's because she took so many drugs, that even Patsy can't handle it anymore.

Haha, oh I never thought about it that way! I just assumed she just collapsed 'cos she suddenly realized that the police wasn't there to arrest her, (but to help out Saffy and Eddie instead) and that she had just been spilling all her drugs.. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Feb 2009, 14:51

I was watching series 1 lately, and I noticed a couple of other jokes:

The first ever scene between Pats and Eddie, they're discussing Edina's children. Look what Jen is doing after Joanna says: ''you've got tits down to your knees and what for?!''

:lol:

And here's the episode 'Fat', Pats enters the kitchen with her new flirt 'Georgie':

Jo's face in the very last cap, haha!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Apr 2009, 20:06

I love this:

It's a good photo, isn't it? I think the photographer really caught something. :whistle:
<<

Philippa

Post 10 Apr 2009, 20:13

Syphillis :whistle:

No but seriously, it's a great picture!
And Jo's face in that previous one, it's amazing! So hilarious, I can't believe I didn't comment on that one before! :lolol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Apr 2009, 20:20

I love the Paris episode - they're are so many cleaver and small jokes hidden in this episode.. Anyway - beside the old model's photograph there's more to see in this screencap: see the 'scars' think? I bet she put that after she had been 'scared for life' in Bettina's home. They used Joanna's real height, but they marked out her year of birth, haha.
<<

Sammy Stone

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 14 Apr 2009, 10:54

Syphillis :lmao: I Love that episode!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Apr 2009, 16:15

Series 2, 'New Best Friend' episode.

Look at the store she's going into:

Betty Jackson, the woman who did the clothing on AbFab, and also dressed her for the Avengers.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Apr 2009, 02:45

Maartje wrote:Series 2, 'New Best Friend' episode.

Look at the store she's going into:

Betty Jackson, the woman who did the clothing on AbFab, and also dressed her for the Avengers.

That is almost as genius as the Purdey flashbacks! I love in-jokes. Thanks for posting that. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Apr 2009, 09:09

^I'm not sure if it's just an Avengers in-joke though. Betty Jackson is also a close friend of Jennifer Saunders, and she's even godmother to one of her children.
But apart from that, it's still a funny coincidence that she also dressed Joanna in TNA! :d

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2009, 16:06

Oh, I'm not sure if it was meant as a joke towards Joanna's TNA past either, since she - indeed - is a close friend of Jennfer as well. (I'm not even if it was a joke at all, because only the ''real'' fans would get it) But I still like it.. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Apr 2009, 16:43

Then it's a quadruple in-joke. That's even better! :wink:
<<

Sapphire

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 16 Apr 2009, 18:32

Oh my, I would have never gotten this. :lol: .... You're the in crowd, really.
I worship you!
A ballanced diet is a drink in each hand.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2009, 18:34

Sapphire wrote:Oh my, I would have never gotten this. :lol: .... You're the in crowd, really.

Haha, I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment, haha. It means I've been watching so much AbFab that I'm now even paying attention to these little details.. :lol:
<<

Sapphire

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 16 Apr 2009, 18:36

Maartje wrote:Haha, I'm not sure whether to take that as a compliment, haha. It means I've been watching so much AbFab that I'm now even paying attention to these little details.. :lol:

Oh believe me; it was totally meant as a compliment.
And you can never watch too much AbFab ;) ... I was planning on watching some episodes again over the weekend. :)
A ballanced diet is a drink in each hand.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2009, 18:38

Sapphire wrote:Oh believe me; it was totally meant as a compliment.
And you can never watch too much AbFab ;) ... I was planning on watching some episodes again over the weekend. :)

Haha, good! But I really am aware of the fact that I'm obsessed with the show, I must admit that. I'm pretty sure no one here has seen all the episodes many times as I have. Well Ok, except for Phil maybe.

Both Joanna and Jennifer have said that they known there are fans 'round that know more lines from the show then they do - what can I say? I'm one of them, probably. :whistle:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 16 Apr 2009, 19:48

Anyway - here are a couple of other caps! These are from the French and Saunders, series 6, which was filmed in their actual office.

Top right corner.

They're doing a parody on 'Kill Bill' so that explains the ''blood'' on the walls, haha: :lol:

It's the Radio Times' cover, with this picture:

I've spotted a couple of other AbFab picture in their office (among an off-set picture of Jen and Jo as the old Eds and Pats) but I couldn't take caps of those because it's hardly visible.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Apr 2009, 20:49

Maartje wrote:Haha, good! :wink: But I really am aware of the fact that I'm obsessed with the show, I must admit that. I'm pretty sure no one here has seen all the episodes many times as I have. Well Ok, except for Phil maybe.

Both Joanna and Jennifer have said that they known there are fans 'round that know more lines from the show then they do - what can I say? I'm one of them, probably. :whistle:

Ahahah yeah I'm definitely a competitor for the member who's watched AbFab the most.
And I know whole episodes by heart :whistle:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jun 2009, 21:33

From White Box. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Jun 2009, 21:44

^Oh I love that :lmao:

<<

Erin

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 12 Jul 2009, 13:33

My FAVORITE thing about series 6 of French and Saunders was seeing how they decorate their offices, and I loved seeing all the Ab Fab pics on the walls. There's one near the door of Jennifer and Joanna dressed up in their "old lady" gear that's absolutely priceless!
<<

Philippa

Post 15 Jul 2009, 09:52

^Really? I've never even noticed that one! Unfortunately I haven't got my F&S DVD box with me at the moment, because I really want to see that now :lol:

Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous