Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

AbFab returns!

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Apr 2011, 09:03

AbFab returns!

It's official now, 3 new episodes of AbFab will be filmed in August!!! :squee: Joanna confirmed it in this week's Hello Magazine. I am beyond excited now, this is brilliant news. And 3 episodes as well, it's just amazing :hyper: :faint:

Many thanks to JD on the Jennifer Saunders fan forum for the scan

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Louise

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Apr 2011, 09:05

Re: AbFab returns!

OMG!!! Cannot wait, it's gonna be hilarious!
'and I happen to like marshmallows....!'
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 16 Apr 2011, 09:23

Philippa, I've passed your news onto the Avengers Forum. Hope that's okay with you, I wasn't sure you were still posting over there.

Just added it to a thread I started in November!
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Apr 2011, 09:26

Philippa wrote:It's official now, 3 new episodes of AbFab will be filmed in August!!! :squee: Joanna confirmed it in this week's Hello Magazine. I am beyond excited now, this is brilliant news. And 3 episodes as well, it's just amazing :hyper: :faint:

Many thanks to JD on the Jennifer Saunders fan forum for the scan

Oh my God, this is fantastic news, thanks for the scan (love the pix), I'm doing the happy dance now! :hyper:

Too bad I cannot read what the article says, it's to unclear but maybe we'll get the text somewhere else?
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Apr 2011, 12:59

I'm surprised they're doing so many, but I'm happy for you guys. :grin: Wonder where they'll take the show now?
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 16 Apr 2011, 14:05

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm surprised they're doing so many, but I'm happy for you guys. :grin: Wonder where they'll take the show now?

Will you not be watching, Timeless? :unsure:

As for the topics they might cover - Twitter would be an obvious one. Reality shows - Kardashians, Katy Price. Lady Gahgah (Joanna ?), Justin Beeber ...

I'm just picking things off Digital Spy - I don't know any of these people ........ erm ..... :whistle:
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Apr 2011, 15:36

So many things have happened since 2005, Twitter and Facebook, Lady GaGa etc. so Jennifer will have plenty of ammunition for new episodes :grin:
And of course Lacroix has gone bankrupt. Perhaps Eddie is still in mourning :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 17 Apr 2011, 05:20

wooo...!
Excited about the wardrobe and new Patsy-isms! :lmao:

She looks so beautiful in green :wub:
<<

Sunday Girl

Target

Post 17 Apr 2011, 11:40

:hyper: This is amazing!
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 17 Apr 2011, 12:30

This is fantastic news - can't wait !!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Apr 2011, 13:25

Avengerdan wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm surprised they're doing so many, but I'm happy for you guys. :grin: Wonder where they'll take the show now?

Will you not be watching, Timeless? :unsure:

Probably not. I've never really been a bona fide AbFab "fan"--I sort of watched it casually because Joanna was in it. I sometimes find it difficult to watch because of the way they treat the Saffy character, too--the cruelty can be more than I can stomach. So I'll probably give it a miss, I'm afraid.

I don't want to drag this thread down, though. I'm glad for all the AbFab fans that you get a whole three-episode stint. My best bet was a special. Let's if this is the final go-around for the series, they wrap it up better than they did in White Box. The fans deserve a really good send-off. :yes:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Apr 2011, 15:59

Excited!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Apr 2011, 22:54

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH! (that's all I'm saying) :whistle:

I do understand where you're coming from Timeless but wouldn't it help to bear in mind that it's just comedy? :wink: Besides, Eddie and Saf did have some good moments on the show as well. Either way, I'm beyond excited about it! :hyper:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Apr 2011, 02:16

Maartje wrote:I do understand where you're coming from Timeless but wouldn't it help to bear in mind that it's just comedy? :wink: Besides, Eddie and Saf did have some good moments on the show as well. Either way, I'm beyond excited about it! :hyper:

I know, and it's a very good comedy when it's Patsy and Eddie running about being ridiculous. And I thought Cold Turkey was a brilliantly done way of moving the characters along in the way they related to each other. But sometimes it doesn't feel like a comedy to me, and it gets dark in ways I find unsettling and upsetting to watch. It's not a criticism--it's just never clicked with me the way it has with so many others. I'm glad they're doing more, because I think White Box was pretty underwhelming as an ending. I hope they knock it out of the park. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Apr 2011, 18:19

I completely agree with what you say on White Box, hence why I'm so happy that they're doing three more episodes. :wink:

Don't get me wrong by the way, I do understand you - a lot of people like AbFab but naturally, not everyone's going to love the show and I guess you're one of those people who are not too big a fan of it. It's just a matter of taste but because I'm such an AbFab junkie I'm (still) finding it hard to believe that some others don't like it as much as I do. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2011, 02:17

Maartje wrote:I completely agree with what you say on White Box, hence why I'm so happy that they're doing three more episodes. :wink:

Don't get me wrong by the way, I do understand you - a lot of people like AbFab but naturally, not everyone's going to love the show and I guess you're one of those people who are not too big a fan of it. It's just a matter of taste but because I'm such an AbFab junkie I'm (still) finding it hard to believe that some others don't like it as much as I do. :lol:

White Box felt so forced, I'm surprised Jennifer Saunders agreed to do it. I got the feeling that someone upstairs was reluctant to let it end, and wanted one last cash-in on the franchise. It didn't feel as though Jennifer's heart was in it when she wrote it. Hopefully this time around she's coming back to it because she feels there's somewhere else for the characters to go, not because someone has her under contract.

I'm glad you get that I'm not slamming the show. I can understand why people are fans, and I really enjoyed a lot of the episodes, but there are just aspects of it that never clicked with me. I could say much the same thing about Doctor Who, which has a fanbase a mile wide, but which I watch with a casual eye. Everyone's going to connect with different series differently, and that doesn't make anyone's love of it more or less valid. But it's tough to understand why anyone else would think otherwise. I get it, believe me. Keep in mind there are umpteen Avengers fans out there who are still convinced TNA was some sort of strange seventies aberration. So I get where you're coming from. :lmao:

Anyway, I hope these new episodes are real fan-pleasers. It occurred to me last night that we're not clear on whether they're going to be regular half-hour stories, or a series of hour-long specials. Do you know?
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Apr 2011, 08:11

Considering all the budget cuts that have been going on at the BBC recently, I'd be surprised if they'd get to do hour long episodes. My guess is they'll just be 3 half-hour episodes.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2011, 12:48

Philippa wrote:Considering all the budget cuts that have been going on at the BBC recently, I'd be surprised if they'd get to do hour long episodes. My guess is they'll just be 3 half-hour episodes.

It's AbFab, though--guaranteed audience, a slamdunk for good ratings. You'd think they'd be more willing to push some money its way because of that. :unsure:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Apr 2011, 17:21

Philippa wrote:Considering all the budget cuts that have been going on at the BBC recently, I'd be surprised if they'd get to do hour long episodes. My guess is they'll just be 3 half-hour episodes.

You're probably right - AbFab used to be a huge success but with all the budget cuts that have been going on and which even included a Jen Saunders production, I doubt if they'll give us 60 minute episodes this time. I guess we should be lucky that we even get three these days... :doubt:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2011, 17:33

Maartje wrote:

You're probably right - AbFab used to be a huge success but with all the budget cuts that have been going on and which even included a Jen Saunders production, I doubt if they'll give us 60 minute episodes this time. I guess we should be lucky that we even get three these days... :doubt:

Wow, I'll be surprised if that's the case. Usually they jump on the chance to do established series because the audience is built-in, so you'd think that would be reason enough to be generous. Have to see, I guess.

Do you think they'll have a continuing overarching storyline, or will be little self-encapsulated tales?

And you know all this talk has gotten me writing this tiny little fic idea I had ages ago, right? :lol:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 20 Apr 2011, 20:17

It's on the front page of today's DS

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Apr 2011, 22:04

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Apr 2011, 05:27

Maartje wrote:Here's the exact link: http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a31 ... umley.html

:hyper: :grin:

I couldn't resist and just watched the clip with the "best off" scenes. That made me realize even more that I can't wait to have new shows to watch! :hyper:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Aug 2011, 21:48

Few words: AbFab. Filming. This week.

:hyper: :cheer:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Aug 2011, 23:05

And for people who want to try and get tickets, I've heard from a very reliable source that you can try to get them these coming 3 Fridays via the BBC. Not sure if it's via their website or if you have to phone them though.

Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous