Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

AbFab the movie?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 22 Nov 2011, 00:11

AbFab the movie?

Because we need to have a place to discuss the possibility of an actual movie! :D

By the way, I found this the other day which I thought I should share. It's a pretty interesting read I think: http://www.newstatesman.com/blogs/cultu ... ders-movie
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Nov 2011, 19:30

Re: Absolutely Fabulous the movie?

I need to check my cell phone, some fan asked Joanna about the movie and I think she said something like if Jennifer will write it, she'll be doing it. I wouldn't mind, :lmao:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Nov 2011, 01:33

Jen said that she'd love to write a movie, if someone'd be willing to finance it. I'm pretty sure that won't be much of a problem as soon as the new episodes go out, but it's probably too early to get my hopes up yet...
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Nov 2011, 11:36

Well, let's cross our fingers than, I think it would be wonderful if they could bring up enough money to do it! :yes:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Nov 2011, 12:46

An AbFab film would be epic :hyper:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JoannaFan

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 01 Jan 2012, 07:23

I'd love to see this! I'd love to see Pats and Eddy doing something really crazy!
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jan 2012, 10:36

I've seen another interview somewhere, I believe it was in New York Magazine, where Jennifer said that they're definitely going to do an AbFab film! I'll go and find the article in a minute and post it later :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Jan 2012, 13:13

The Giant fruit? The City that only sleeps twice? (sorry - couldn't resist) :lol:

I'm still not quite ready to believe this - it takes a hell of a lot to make a proper film, but there's a live F&S radio show today so she might drop it then. :patsy:
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jan 2012, 20:40

I found the article here.
She says:
Now there are rumors of an Ab Fab movie. Not sparked by Joanna.
Yes, I’m definitely going to do it. I’m aiming to shoot this in a beautiful part of the Riviera. I fancy the south of France in the spring.

This may sound strange, but I'm never quite sure whether to believe Jennifer when she says things like that. For all we know she was joking, but the interviewer didn't get it and thought she was being serious. I guess time will tell :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Jan 2012, 21:05

No that's not strange - Jennifer's always a little weird when it comes to these things. I have a feeling that she might not have said a definite 'yes' to this project because then there is no going back. Think we'll find out soon enough though!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Mar 2012, 19:21

Re: Absolutely Fabulous the movie

Just read in an interview that this is definitely happening! Kind of mixed about this. She's really going to have to live up to the expectations because the show itself was brilliant and a two hour plot is something quite different than a 30-minute episode...
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Mar 2012, 19:41

Mara wrote:Just read in an interview that this is definitely happening! Kind of mixed about this. She's really going to have to live up to the expectations because the show itself was brilliant and a two hour plot is something quite different than a 30-minute episode...

Well, maybe to her it's nothing else than combine 3 half hour shows, I am sure she can manage! She must! :hyper:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Aug 2012, 22:30

I'm really confused by all this movie talk: one moment it's confirmed, the next Jennifer claims it hasn't been written yet. Anyway, nice Telegraph interview with Emma Bunton and with lots of quotes! And here's a little piece about it from the Mirror.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Aug 2012, 05:26

I agree with you Maartje, it's really confusing, I thought it would be clear that there would be a movie but now I'm not so sure either. Let's just hope for the best :huh:
What I think is strange that Joanna seems to part from her beloved Jean Muir clothes AND her Patsy dresses. In her M&S swopping campain interviews she said she would never part from them but now... strange... and a little sad, I think, I just hope she wont regret that.

Uh, by the way, the photo of Joanna leaning against the pallets.... :wub:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Aug 2012, 10:05

I've been thinking about that as well. We don't usually see her in Patsy's clothes either, do we? I know she's kept one of her coats but I can't name much else...

As for the movie - I'd definitely go and see it but if Jen decides to stick to television, it's fine by me as well. I just hope people don't push her too much - she should write whenever she feels like doing so. It's quite a challenge and I wouldn't want to see such a great sitcom get ruined by a mediocre film.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Aug 2012, 13:33

I find it somewhat worrying that she's selling the Jean Muirs as well--it's as though she's gone a bit charity-mad and is moving everything out. Those dresses meant a lot to to her. I hope she doesn't regret it, too. :shock:

I loved the bit about shwopping her husband's socks, though--"They practically jumped out and said 'take us!'" I'll bet she's been wanting to get him to let them go for years. :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Aug 2012, 06:25

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I find it somewhat worrying that she's selling the Jean Muirs as well--it's as though she's gone a bit charity-mad and is moving everything out. Those dresses meant a lot to to her. I hope she doesn't regret it, too. :shock:

I loved the bit about shwopping her husband's socks, though--"They practically jumped out and said 'take us!'" I'll bet she's been wanting to get him to let them go for years. :lmao:

Ha yes, that was funny! So what did we learn from that: she doesn't seem to buy him proper socks! :lmao:

But about the Jean Muir suits - I agree with you timeless, just hope she won't regret selling them as from the way she talked about them they must have meant a lot to her. :huh:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Aug 2012, 13:16

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I find it somewhat worrying that she's selling the Jean Muirs as well--it's as though she's gone a bit charity-mad and is moving everything out. Those dresses meant a lot to to her. I hope she doesn't regret it, too. :shock:

Ha yes, that was funny! So what did we learn from that: she doesn't seem to buy him proper socks! :lmao:

But about the Jean Muir suits - I agree with you timeless, just hope she won't regret selling them as from the way she talked about them they must have meant a lot to her. :huh:

Either she doesn't buy him proper ones, or he's very attached to the ones he already has. :lmao: Maybe they're his lucky conductor's socks? :lolol:

And I do hope she thinks twice before selling everything. I know she probably thinks they're not doing anyone any good in storage, but at least they're there when she wants them. If she wanted to keep them and still have them do some good, she could always lend them to a museum or gallery as an exhibit, and donate the proceeds to charity. That way lots of people could enjoy them, but they'd still be hers.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Aug 2012, 07:34

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Either she doesn't buy him proper ones, or he's very attached to the ones he already has. :lmao: Maybe they're his lucky conductor's socks? :lolol:

And I do hope she thinks twice before selling everything. I know she probably thinks they're not doing anyone any good in storage, but at least they're there when she wants them. If she wanted to keep them and still have them do some good, she could always lend them to a museum or gallery as an exhibit, and donate the proceeds to charity. That way lots of people could enjoy them, but they'd still be hers.

Ha, ha, you're hilarious... lucky conductor's socks! :lmao: But you might have a point there, I guess we'll never know!

I agree with you, I think it might be fatal to sell off all the clothes, it's not that she can ever get any replacements and she might regret it - I know from things I gave away, like childhood toys, that I now regret some of that because I would love to have them back. your idea with lending these clothes is a good one by the way and that way even more people could profit from them.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Aug 2012, 13:02

LunaFive wrote:Ha, ha, you're hilarious... lucky conductor's socks! :lmao: But you might have a point there, I guess we'll never know!

I agree with you, I think it might be fatal to sell off all the clothes, it's not that she can ever get any replacements and she might regret it - I know from things I gave away, like childhood toys, that I now regret some of that because I would love to have them back. your idea with lending these clothes is a good one by the way and that way even more people could profit from them.

You never know--musicians can be a superstitious bunch. :wink: I have this mental image of Joanna and Stephen wrestling for them on the floor. "Let go, Stephen! It's for a good cause!" :lmao:

You're right, those clothes aren't easily replaced--they're a part of her history, really. I know what you mean about giving away childhood stuff, and then regretting it. I think it's happened to everyone. So a loan would tick all the boxes. Yet another case where we should be Joanna's PA. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Jan 2013, 20:17

And now Vogue confirms that there'll definitely be a movie. I'm not believing any of this until I hear it straight from the horse's mouth (which, in this case, is Jennifer) :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Jan 2013, 23:30

I read that too, and Jo has hinted at it repeatedly. But I'm not believing it either until Jen confirms it herself, if only for the reason that she's a master procrastinator and we'll never be sure if or when she'll actually write it :lol:

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 25 Jan 2013, 07:44

Let's hope for the best then! :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Oct 2013, 07:28

AbFab returns!

Joanna Lumley has revealed she would definitely be up for an Absolutely Fabulous reunion.
The 67-year-old admitted she would be open to reprising her role as booze-loving Patsy Stone alongside Jennifer Saunders' Edina Monsoon in the TV series, which returned for three special episodes in 2011 and 2012, after previously ending its second run in 2004.
"Let's wait and see what Miss Saunders does, because she's the one – she's the fountain of all writing on that," she said.
"If she writes something else, we're all there. We just go, 'Yeah, please, please'. She's just done a book so that's going to be great. I haven't read it yet, but I think I'm in it, I hope I'm in it."
Joanna, who's promoting the Marks & Spencer "schwopping" campaign to encourage people to swap and recycle their unwanted clothes, said she is glad she 'owns' the character of Patsy.
"Nobody else can play Patsy. People say, 'Are you Patsy?' I am not Patsy, but Patsy is mine," she said.
Jane Horrocks, June Whitfield and Julia Sawalha also starred in Absolutely Fabulous, which was created by Jennifer and Dawn French. The show first aired on BBC One in 1992.
The actress, who next stars in Martin Scorsese's The Wolf Of Wall Street, will appear on the small screen in a travel programme.
"I've got a big travel programme – I can't say what, but it's for next year. I love doing the documentaries, mainly because I'm passionately interested in the world, the people, the climates and the customs," she said.

http://uk.tv.yahoo.com/lumley-im-ab-fab ... 17297.html

Yay! :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Oct 2013, 15:09

Re: AbFab returns!

http://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/f ... -saunders/

Apparently, Jennifer says she's not writing a movie at all and she blames Joanna for keeping on mentioning it. :lolol:
Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous