Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Absolutely: A Memoir

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 16 Sep 2011, 11:06

Re: New Book Coming this Autumn!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'm a bit confused to be honest--the review sounds very positive to me. The reviewer's point seems to be that she hasn't written one of those doom and gloom memoirs where the author goes on about all the terrible things that happened to him, and how terrible it was to live through it all--the kind, the author says, that publishers love. Instead, Joanna took the "things happen, you deal with them, move on, keep smiling" approach, and in the last line of the review, the writer seems to think it's a refreshing take. He/she doesn't want Joanna to moan about everything that's happened--they like it better that she didn't. Maybe it's just me, but I think the reviewer is meaning it as a positive review. :happy:

You summed that up pretty well I think. :yes: I do understand Britta's confusion over this though. When I read the first sentence I feared that it was the introduction to another snobby ''haven't we read this a 1000 times before already'' kind of review, but it didn't. Not sure about the title 'Life the Joanna way is so simple' though. Personally, I would have left out the word 'so'. Jo proved that she's the absolute queen of relativizing her successes but the title almost sounds as if life just presented itself to her this way.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Sep 2011, 13:32

Maartje wrote:You summed that up pretty well I think. :yes: I do understand Britta's confusion over this though. When I read the first sentence I feared that it was the introduction to another snobby ''haven't we read this a 1000 times before already'' kind of review, but it didn't. Not sure about the title 'Life the Joanna way is so simple' though. Personally, I would have left out the word 'so'. Jo proved that she's the absolute queen of relativizing her successes but the title almost sounds as if life just presented itself to her this way.

Yeah, the way it started made it kind of confusing, I think--it made it sound as though the reviewer thought Joanna was making everything out to be light and sweetness, and wanted her to moan more, but in fact it was the other way around--he/she was glad she didn't moan, because so many authors do. I agree that life hasn't been a walkover for Joanna--she was pretty much broke when she got TNA, and it wasn't until the nineties that she had a career that was consistent enough to let her not worry about where her next job was coming from--but I like that they are willing to laud her for trying to put a positive spin on things, as opposed to criticising her for being unrealistic. :happy:

LunaFive wrote:Well, you might be right here (hopefully) as I said, sometimes I get a different meaning out of something when it's written in English (and my school English is about 30 years old now and was never good), so maybe they should just write in German, so that I will understand it correctly! :lmao:
Maybe I should delete that posting.... :zip:

Don't beat yourself up about it, Britta. The way it's written makes it confusing even for a native English speaker. It wasn't until I read the last line that I was certain whether it was supposed to be positive or not. I think it's safe to say we were all puzzled by it. :hug:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 16 Sep 2011, 17:09

Britta, I'm as English as one can be and I read that review just the way you did until the last sentence. The British media is often so cynical that it's hard to read anything without sensing a derisive tone behind it. The Australians don't call us "whinging poms" for nothing.

Joanna is an exception; she's rarely critical and she always seems to take a positive approach. Very often the Brits love to wallow in misery - I know I do! *wink*. Very soon after the Ghurka's story I expected there to be an anti-Joanna backlash and of course there was. Which she overcame again.

I do feel very protective of her, because I think with such sensitivity and understanding she has a potential to be hurt as well.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Sep 2011, 21:01

Thank you Timeless and Dan, that's really nice of you to let me know that I was not the only one who got confused with what this reviewer wrote.

I do feel very protective of her, because I think with such sensitivity and understanding she has a potential to be hurt as well.

It's nice that you feel protective of her, I couldn't agree with you more on that one as I feel the same.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Becky

Obsession

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Sep 2011, 06:15

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Sep 2011, 11:09

Oh, I had not read that article before. Thanks! :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Sep 2011, 09:31

I love the photos! If this is only a preview, I wonder what else we can expect :hyper:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Sep 2011, 20:54

Got my preorder done, let you know when it arrives
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Sep 2011, 11:35

I just went home in my lunch break and found Joanna's new book laying there. I nearly fainted. I had only time to flip through it (not even everything) but I love it. There are a lot of photos we already know but a lot of nice new ones, family shots. All I can say is that one should really own a copy of that book :wub:

I know what I'll be doing tonight! :hyper:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Sep 2011, 17:04

LunaFive wrote:I just went home in my lunch break and found Joanna's new book laying there. I nearly fainted. I had only time to flip through it (not even everything) but I love it. There are a lot of photos we already know but a lot of nice new ones, family shots. All I can say is that one should really own a copy of that book :wub:

Lovely, Britta! :grin: Let us know what the ratio of new/old pictures. I'd particularly like to know if there are any new TNA pictures, or stuff from Class Act or S&S that hasn't been seen before. If there's a lot of repeat, I may not get it.

Enjoy! :wink:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Sep 2011, 17:19

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
LunaFive wrote:I just went home in my lunch break and found Joanna's new book laying there. I nearly fainted. I had only time to flip through it (not even everything) but I love it. There are a lot of photos we already know but a lot of nice new ones, family shots. All I can say is that one should really own a copy of that book :wub:

Lovely, Britta! :grin: Let us know what the ratio of new/old pictures. I'd particularly like to know if there are any new TNA pictures, or stuff from Class Act or S&S that hasn't been seen before. If there's a lot of repeat, I may not get it.

Enjoy! :wink:

Sorry, Timeless, I think I am not able tell you what's new or not, at least not for TNA since you seem to know EVERY photo there is. but I'm afraid there are not new ones on TNG.

I saw a few from Class Act I haven't seen before but maybe it was just ME.

I really need to got through the book tonight to check it all out!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Sep 2011, 19:56

Mine came today too, just read it and it's really good.
In terms of new photos, i'd seen all the TNA ones so nothing new there, Class Act there is a poloroid and a poster which I haven't seen before. It's generally a gentle read, more photos than words, and is similar in style to Helen Mirren's In My Frame in terms of the concept.

There are alot of new modelling photos, a chapter on the Gurkhas with artefacts (letters and things), some nice family photos, a few pages on the tv documentaries (Nile, Northern Lights, Girl Friday, Thunder Dragon and one I hadn't heard about before, In Search of the White Rajahs.) It's a nice book, so I would recommend getting it, although most of it isn't new... to us anyway!
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Sep 2011, 11:08

JackieO wrote:Mine came today too, just read it and it's really good.
In terms of new photos, i'd seen all the TNA ones so nothing new there, Class Act there is a poloroid and a poster which I haven't seen before. It's generally a gentle read, more photos than words, and is similar in style to Helen Mirren's In My Frame in terms of the concept.

There are alot of new modelling photos, a chapter on the Gurkhas with artefacts (letters and things), some nice family photos, a few pages on the tv documentaries (Nile, Northern Lights, Girl Friday, Thunder Dragon and one I hadn't heard about before, In Search of the White Rajahs.) It's a nice book, so I would recommend getting it, although most of it isn't new... to us anyway!

I agree with you, although I didn't manage to read it yesterday, only managed half the books photos. But the photos that are in there are in such great quality, it's a joy to read the book. I love the first one where the young Joanna looks into the camera... or the one from the advert where she's dressed as a queen. And the family photos are very nice, too (I had to flip through that chapter first). It's really similar to the one from Helen which is a great book, too. At least I can say that there are a few new photos for me in it but I'm not as long a fan of Joanna's as most of you are.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Sep 2011, 11:12

I don't want to double post but I just found a wonderful clip on Youtube where Joanna promotes her new book!

:wub:

promotional clip
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Sep 2011, 13:03

LunaFive wrote:Sorry, Timeless, I think I am not able tell you what's new or not, at least not for TNA since you seem to know EVERY photo there is. but I'm afraid there are not new ones on TNG.

I saw a few from Class Act I haven't seen before but maybe it was just ME.

I really need to got through the book tonight to check it all out!

Thanks, Britta. :hug: I know it's tough to know who's seen what, but if the TNA pics are generally familiar, then she's probably sourced some of the usual ones.

Thanks, Laura :hug: I can't justify another Amazon order after my last one a couple months back, so I have to pick and choose. The Class Act ones sound good. No S&S in there?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Sep 2011, 16:21

Yes some S&S, although majority I have seen before too!
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 01 Oct 2011, 05:28

I haven't got mine yet. But would someone care to upload photo scans of the photo pages to the appropriate section of this board?
I won't be able to scan up mine as our scanner has got kaput
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Oct 2011, 12:15

So all in all you'd still recommend buying it? I mean, it's not just the stuff from the old biographies copied + two or three new chapters on her recent work? (like they did with the unauthorised biography...) I'll probably recognise most of the photos anyway but new info on old shows would be fun. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Oct 2011, 13:03

Yeah, that's what I'm worred about. Even if the pictures are old, it's always fun to read new anecdotes, but if those are repeat it'll influence whether I get it or not...
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Oct 2011, 18:07

Re: New Book Coming this autumn!

Well, for me, most of it wasn't new but the chapter about the trip about the Search of the White Rajahs was nice to read and yet alone all the modelling pictures and the different hair pictures etc. A true fan would want to have that book, but that's just MHO!
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 03 Oct 2011, 03:44

would someone care to scan them up to here. So I can make graphics with them? Etcetera, etceterea... :whistle:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Oct 2011, 15:42

Sorry, I won't do it. This book is much to valuable for me to put it on a scanner. :no:
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 03 Oct 2011, 15:49

OFFS... :roll:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous