Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Anew: A TNA Site

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Feb 2010, 18:51

One of my long-time goals has been to create my own website. For ages I didn't know what to do it on. I thought about the Avengers, but I wanted to do something that didn't just reiterate what all the other Avengers websites had done so much better than I ever could. I needed something unique and different.

Well, I finally got there. :grin:

I actually designed most of the site a year ago, but my search for web space was unsuccessful and much-delayed by school, etc. I finally got some over the weekend, though, and my very own domain name. So now I have a bona fide web page! :squee:

It's called "Anew," and truth be told it's mainly a way for me to put all my stuff--videos, fiction, scans--in one place. Not everything from my photobucket is up yet, but I'll fix that over several updates. If you haven't read any of the articles before because it was just too hard on photobucket, now you can download them as shiny new PDFs! :hyper:

Also on there are a couple of non-fiction pieces, all my stories up on ff.net, images, a script, and all sorts of other good stuff. From now on, anything I post will also be updated on the site. It's a TNA site, though, so it'll just be Steed, Purdey, and Gambit stuff (unless there's something original Avengers-wise I really want to share. :wink: )

Designing the site took a lot of work, and there are probably still some kinks to work out, so I'm only posting this here first, before doing it on the Avengers forum. Have a look and let me know if everything works okay. Be kind. I love writing HTML from scratch, and that's how I did this web page, but I haven't designed a site from scratch in a very long time, so I'm a bit rusty.

Anyway, enjoy!

<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 17 Feb 2010, 20:59

Re: Anew: A TNA Site

I've just had a look on it but I'm sorry, I can't help a lot at the moment cause I can't concentrate enough (bloody steroids killing my mind again).

Just a few details :
- it surprised me a lot by its sobriety, maybe because I usually prefer a few touches of colors in the middle of black and white.
- I think it's more comfortable and less tiring for the eyes to read black letters on white than white letters on black. I tried to read the review called The Eagle's nest and had to give up after a few lines cause the contrast was too strong and the text became blurry, as if I was tipsy (and I swear I hadn't drink anything before reading! :grin: ). Maybe the black you use should be less black, if you understand what I mean, less contrast would make the reading much more pleasant.
-I would have let more space for the text. For example, on the Home page, I would have reduced a bit the blank between the top line with the topics and "Welcome!" and the other blank between "Welcome!" and the text.

Anyway, I know you must have spent hours and hours to create this site and these are details because of personal tastes so maybe the other forumers will say they adore all the black and white thing! :lol: You've made a great job! :thumbs:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Feb 2010, 23:34

Oh, you've finally launched your website - fabulous! :squee: I haven't time to read the whole of it (so you'll get a decent review later) but it looks exciting!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Feb 2010, 23:59

Yay you've launched it! That's amazing!
I'm just taking a look now, and you've done a brilliant job. The website looks stunning and very detailed. I bow to you :worship: :thumbs:

Also I made this a sticky topic, so this topic will stay at the top of the page where it's easy for everyone to find :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Feb 2010, 04:38

Mara wrote:Oh, you've finally launched your website - fabulous! :squee: I haven't time to read the whole of it (so you'll get a decent review later) but it looks exciting!

Philippa wrote:Yay you've launched it! That's amazing!
I'm just taking a look now, and you've done a brilliant job. The website looks stunning and very detailed. I bow to you :worship: :thumbs:

Also I made this a sticky topic, so this topic will stay at the top of the page where it's easy for everyone to find :grin:

Thanks guys! :grin: I'm glad you like it. Like I said, there's still more content to be added--this is just the launch. It would have never been launched if I put everything on it before launching. :lol: And I got a sticky for my little site. I feel special. :blush:

Esther, I want to thank you for your comments. Does anyone else find it too hard to read, or that the text box is too small? I chose the colours I did because I find plain white backgrounds hard on the eyes, and lots of light-coloured backgrounds look rather bland. Plus, complicated colour schemes on websites never work. I considered a red, white, and blue theme because of the British aspect, but I always find sites end up garish-looking when they try. I liked the black and white because it was stark and dramatic and worked with black and white pictures, since most pictures aren't in colour. But if no one can read it, I'll have to change it. I like colour, too, as a rule, but in web design it's very difficult to choose colours that are easily readable and go together. I was trying to work with that and not make it bland. I like it, but I'll change it if I have to.
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Feb 2010, 07:49

I had no problem reading any of it. I quite like the black with white letters, it's easier on the eyes than vice versa. I agree that it's very hard to come up with a good colour scheme for a website, without it becoming either too bland or hurting the eyes. And it fits in nicely with all the B&W pictures.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Feb 2010, 11:48

Just checked out the site- I love it! I found it easy to read, and could see everything. Congrats, it is brilliant!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Feb 2010, 18:23

Thanks, guys, this is really helpful. I've taken courses on web design, and one of the first things you have to work out is a colour scheme that's readable and doesn't nauseate the audience. It's a hard balance to strike. I know a lot of the content is old news for a lot of you, but I'm hoping that at the very least, if you haven't read some of the articles, that this will make it easier for you. I have a lot of PDFs to link up, but I'll only do them a few at a time. When you're coding everything from scratch, these things take awhile. :lol: Anyway, like I said, enjoy browing! :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Feb 2010, 18:40

Yeesh, PURRR already linked my site! I've only had it up a couple of days. No idea how they found it that fast. Guess that makes me official now, eh? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Feb 2010, 20:39

Fabulous :thumbs:

<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 18 Feb 2010, 22:07

Purrr may have an application to know on which websites it's linked, if so, as soon as someone clicked on your link, Anew appeared on the application.

I couldn't find you on google, if we all click on the link on Purrr, you could appear soon on google, and the more we click, the easier it will be to find you on google in the 1st or 2nd page. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Feb 2010, 22:48

It usually takes weeks before you start appearing in Google results. It was the same when we'd just started the forum.

<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 18 Feb 2010, 23:17

When I created my school website, it took only 2 days, just because I managed to post the link on a famous website very easy to find on google and many people clicked on this new link to have a look. I cheated a bit too clicking a lot myself and asking my students and other teachers to click. :angel:
Result : the 1st week, when I googled the school name it appeared on page 2 and after a week, it appeared in 2nd position on 1st page and it took a few days more to place it in 1st place. :thumbs:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Feb 2010, 06:53

Froggie wrote:Purrr may have an application to know on which websites it's linked, if so, as soon as someone clicked on your link, Anew appeared on the application.

I couldn't find you on google, if we all click on the link on Purrr, you could appear soon on google, and the more we click, the easier it will be to find you on google in the 1st or 2nd page. :wink:

Really? I didn't know any of that. I do have PURRR listed in my links (one of my favourite sites), so that makes sense. Either way, it's exciting. Thanks for explaining all that, Esther. :hug:
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 19 Feb 2010, 11:24

When I created my school website, I used a publishing system called SPIP (I'm a dummy with html :blush: ) and this application was included : it's very useful because you can check where your site's been linked and in which conditions (it can help to detect a bad promotion on an offensive website for example or a bad use of your stuff) or you can sort of thank the website linking him back and I've discovered very interesting sites thanks to this application. And it gives you a better idea of how the visitors find your site and where they come from.

I can't promise you Anew will appear very soon in google thanks to this method but we never know : it worked fine for me so let's all click on the links to other TNA/Avengers sites in case they detect your link and link you back. The more other sites will link you and the more people will click on these links, the faster you will appear on google.

I've just clicked on all the links on your site and you'll have to refresh a bit this part :
- The avengers tv : error message, maybe a long momentary bug, not sure. I've tried a few times to open it during 2 hours and impossible to load anything.
- FOLLI in Avengerland : is "no longer available"
- Zircon's Fiction : "Sorry, one or more specified tags do not exist."
- CurlyWurly's Youtube Channel : doesn't exist anymore.
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Feb 2010, 12:23

CurlyWurly's YouTube channel doesn't exist anymore? That would be a right shame, she had uploaded so many fab things!

Edit:
I've just checked, and the account has indeed been suspended.

Edit 2:
Yay, you've linked my YouTube channel as well. Thanks Timeless :squee:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Feb 2010, 16:07

Froggie wrote:I've just clicked on all the links on your site and you'll have to refresh a bit this part :
- The avengers tv : error message, maybe a long momentary bug, not sure. I've tried a few times to open it during 2 hours and impossible to load anything.

That might be your computer refusing to open the page properly there. :wink: I tried as well and Google pop-up defender did block at first, but the link works fine for me now.

For the website: I like how you've kept the colouring rather simple. Indeed many of the promo pictures are in black and white, and picking all sorts of fancy colours. I also like the design of the page with the menu on top: it does help to navigate around the website rather quickly. Maybe you could add some more info. about the actors and their parts (if you need any help on Joanna, I'm sure people here are willing to help) but as you've only just started: well done you!

And thanks for linking the forum. :thumb:
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 19 Feb 2010, 18:07

Mara wrote:
Froggie wrote:I've just clicked on all the links on your site and you'll have to refresh a bit this part :

That might be your computer refusing to open the page properly there. :wink: I tried as well and Google pop-up defender did block at first, but the link works fine for me now.

I've tried again this afternoon, with Mozilla Firefox and IE and disabling my anti pop-up but still nothing, it buggers and doesn't load : really odd!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Feb 2010, 18:34

Froggie wrote:When I created my school website, I used a publishing system called SPIP (I'm a dummy with html :blush: ) and this application was included : it's very useful because you can check where your site's been linked and in which conditions (it can help to detect a bad promotion on an offensive website for example or a bad use of your stuff) or you can sort of thank the website linking him back and I've discovered very interesting sites thanks to this application. And it gives you a better idea of how the visitors find your site and where they come from.

I can't promise you Anew will appear very soon in google thanks to this method but we never know : it worked fine for me so let's all click on the links to other TNA/Avengers sites in case they detect your link and link you back. The more other sites will link you and the more people will click on these links, the faster you will appear on google.

I've just clicked on all the links on your site and you'll have to refresh a bit this part :
- FOLLI in Avengerland : is "no longer available"
- Zircon's Fiction : "Sorry, one or more specified tags do not exist."
- CurlyWurly's Youtube Channel : doesn't exist anymore.

Yeah, I know the link page is out-of-date. Like I said, I created most of the site over a year ago, and only just found the hosting recently. That's why I'm only linking it here first, as a trial run. The only one that should work is theavengers.tv, which is strange.

I've never heard of that application. Any chance of a link? I've also used page builders, but I wanted to go back to my HTML roots for this one.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Feb 2010, 18:39

Philippa wrote:Edit 2:
Yay, you've linked my YouTube channel as well. Thanks Timeless :squee:

Mara wrote:For the website: I like how you've kept the colouring rather simple. Indeed many of the promo pictures are in black and white, and picking all sorts of fancy colours. I also like the design of the page with the menu on top: it does help to navigate around the website rather quickly. Maybe you could add some more info. about the actors and their parts (if you need any help on Joanna, I'm sure people here are willing to help) but as you've only just started: well done you!

And thanks for linking the forum. :thumb:

You're welcome for the linkage. If I can spread forum/TNA love, why wouldn't I? :grin:

Glad you like the colour scheme, and that navigation is easy. That's what I like to hear. :grin: As for actor/character info, well, I'm going to be posting all my articles on Gareth, Patrick, and Joanna, and those are pretty comprehensive biographies. Between those and the bios at The Avengers Forever and The Authorised Guide to TNA, I don't think there's much point in my writing yet another set of bios. I don't think I can improve on any of those! The characters, though, I hadn't thought about, though TAF has done a pretty good job of those, too, and they're available in the annuals. I'll think on that one, though.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Feb 2010, 19:13

Dead links removed, and links updated. Thanks for the reminder. :grin:
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 19 Feb 2010, 20:53

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've never heard of that application. Any chance of a link? I've also used page builders, but I wanted to go back to my HTML roots for this one.

As I said I created the website using SPIP http://www.spip.net/en and the application was included and was in the options by default. I think this sort of application is called "backlink checker" in english. Maybe you can find a free good one on one of those many websites with tools for webmasters. I know this application exist on line too but I don't know if it works fine, I've never used it on line.
You should look for some info about backlinks, it will help you to get a good rank on google and other search engines. :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Feb 2010, 21:01

Froggie wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I've never heard of that application. Any chance of a link? I've also used page builders, but I wanted to go back to my HTML roots for this one.

As I said I created the website using SPIP http://www.spip.net/en and the application was included and was in the options by default. I think this sort of application is called "backlink checker" in english. Maybe you can find a free good one on one of those many websites with tools for webmasters. I know this application exist on line too but I don't know if it works fine, I've never used it on line.
You should look for some info about backlinks, it will help you to get a good rank on google and other search engines. :wink:

Thanks Esther! WIll do. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Feb 2010, 22:17

Site update! Two new interviews, and some bits and pieces. :grin:
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 26 Feb 2010, 16:41

I've tried to access to the new stuff clicking on the links (Joanna - Gareth - General show info )but they don't work! :no:
Next

Return to The New Avengers