Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 03:38

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:Yes, your aversion does help your case immensely. :thumb:


Also my initial favourable reaction to S&S. :whistle: (See, Maartje and Philippa, my attempts to gently steer this back on topic? :lol: )
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 04:12

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Hmm..my last post disappeared...Anyway, back to the topic at hand. :blush:
What amazed me was that this was supposed to be a children's show. Since there were many scenes that made me jump and one scene that made me close my eyes, I can imagine that had I viewed this as a child, I would have been traumatized for life. :happy:

It's been awhile since I've watched S&S, so I think I'll spend my vacation re-watching it so that I can fully appreciate and guide Timeless through her introductory period. I know. I know. It's a sacrifice, but I gladly do it in order to welcome a new S&S fan into the fold. :angel:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 04:20

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:Hmm..my last post disappeared...Anyway, back to the topic at hand. :blush:
What amazed me was that this was supposed to be a children's show. Since there were many scenes that made me jump and one scene that made me close my eyes, I can imagine that had I viewed this as a child, I would have been traumatized for life. :happy:

It's been awhile since I've watched S&S, so I think I'll spend my vacation re-watching it so that I can fully appreciate and guide Timeless through her introductory period. I know. I know. It's a sacrifice, but I gladly do it in order to welcome a new S&S fan into the fold. :angel:


Don't worry about it, Kim--I'm sure Maartje and Philippa will have mercy on our off-topic souls. :lol:

Reading a lot of articles in SFX about old children's shows in Britain, I've been struck by how scary so many of them are. Even Doctor Who, which is really meant for kids, features stuff that still gives me the heebie-jeebies now, and I certainly never would have watched when I was younger. The definition of what is suitable for kids seems to be different in North America than it does in Britain, it seems--our stuff is much more innocuous, it seems. The difference is quite fascinating, actually.

It'd be great fun if you chose to "watch along" with me as it were. I may take breaks as I watch other stuff on TV, but I'm going to plug away at it. Maybe we can get this part of the board a little more active between us. ^^
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 04:38

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Of course I'm more than willing to do my part. :angel: In fact, I have a whole weekend off this week. :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 06:07

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:Of course I'm more than willing to do my part. :angel: In fact, I have a whole weekend off this week. :happy:


Yay for you! ^^

Well, I finished the first assignment. I enjoyed it. It's very much a slow burn, and at certain points I sort of started to wonder how they were going to drag it out to fill the number of episodes they had left, but they manage it somehow. They kept the tension high all the way through, and I warmed to the characters, even Steel, who takes things pretty seriously, and Lead, who sort of goes too far the other way. They took back an awful lot of time at the end, though it seemed to me that more than half a day had elapsed throughout the episode, and quite why Rob is the only one to remember anything is a bit up in the air--I guess because he wasn't in the room when everything kicked off. Anyway, I enjoyed it in a cozy little way--it wasn't anywhere as scary as I'd feared (but I guess the really creepy ones are yet to come). The effects are pretty good for the time--I enjoy seeing what they managed to put together with the old technology--but the little spotlights were a bit low-rent--they were hard to take seriously in themselves. That incarnation of the mom was creepy though!

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the next assignment. Man, David McCallum is shorter than I thought--he's the same height as Joanna, which I imagine is why they put her in flats--having the leading woman taller than the man is usually a big no-no in showbiz.
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 09:26

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I did watch some of S&S last night (via YouTube). About half an episode as it was getting late. I'm keen to watch more after, but I agree it was slow. I'll see how I get on with the rest of the episode tonight.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMorsWt4W8

So far the spookiest thing about it is the kid at the start looks a little like me (although I was a few years older), even down to the hair and clothes! Brrr.

S&S was meant to be a family show, not specifically a kids show. Like Doctor Who is a family show. I remember it came on around 7pm either every week (or was it twice a week - I forget).

Another thing that interests me is it was made on video, like the earliest Avengers episodes. So I don't know if international sales were a factor. Shame, as David McCallum was well-known in the US and abroad.
Image
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 12:42

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Yes, it is a slow mover, but as you say, the suspense is high. Wait until you see the one on the train station platform. That assignment is my favorite out of all of them. Very scary.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 16:58

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Avengerdan wrote:I did watch some of S&S last night (via YouTube). About half an episode as it was getting late. I'm keen to watch more after, but I agree it was slow. I'll see how I get on with the rest of the episode tonight.

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAMorsWt4W8

So far the spookiest thing about it is the kid at the start looks a little like me (although I was a few years older), even down to the hair and clothes! Brrr.

S&S was meant to be a family show, not specifically a kids show. Like Doctor Who is a family show. I remember it came on around 7pm either every week (or was it twice a week - I forget).

Another thing that interests me is it was made on video, like the earliest Avengers episodes. So I don't know if international sales were a factor. Shame, as David McCallum was well-known in the US and abroad.


Yep, that's the assignment I finished last night. It's slow, but somehow they manage to pull it off. They're really good at baiting you with the cliffhanger, making you want to see the next part right away. Because the tense bits are so tense, the quieter, slower bits in-between are actually welcome--they give the audience chance to breathe and recover for the next climax. The first episode sets everything up, though, and that's possibly the dullest part, waiting for S&S to show up. See if you start to like it more when it starts in earnest in episode 2.

Does the kid really look like you? I liked him a lot, actually (his little sister, who really needs to learn how to enunciate, got on my nerves a bit). He holds his own pretty darn well against S&S--hugely mature for his age. I sort of forgot he was a kid sometimes.

Even for a family show, S&S and Doctor Who would have been considered too much for anyone under 10, at the very youngest, at least when I was a kid--the rating system seems to have gotten laxer in the past decade. "Family" shows for my generation were things like Road to Avonlea and Wind At My Back--period pieces set during the Great Depression and the 1800s, slightly saccharine dramas. The closest we had to anything like S&S was Emily of New Moon, where I first saw Linda, and which scared the living daylights out of me. I quit watching it--I was getting into the Avengers at that point, anyway.

It hadn't occured to me that it was done on video, but looking at it, it must have been. I don't know how many overseas sales it got. As you say, McCallum was well-known, and Joanna, too, with TNA's sales, so it would seem odd if they didn't try to exploit that.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 17:15

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:Yes, it is a slow mover, but as you say, the suspense is high. Wait until you see the one on the train station platform. That assignment is my favorite out of all of them. Very scary.


That's the most famous one, I think--it's the one I've heard about the most, anyway, and it's the next one in the set, so that'll be the next one I watch as well. :yes:
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 18:17

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I really think you'll like this one the most Timeless. It's my favorite. I'll be interested in reading your take on it as well as a couple of later ones.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 18:26

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:I really think you'll like this one the most Timeless. It's my favorite. I'll be interested in reading your take on it as well as a couple of later ones.


Well, I haven't heard anything about anyone spitting up rose petals in it, so that's a start. :lol:
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 19:45

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Hmmm...how sensitive are you to blood? Can you tolerate a little?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:10

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:Hmmm...how sensitive are you to blood? Can you tolerate a little?


Well, I'm not really a gore fan, but I don't have a fit every time I see a drop of the red stuff (I watched Life on Mars, after all, where more than one character ended up with their throats cut). Less is better as far as I'm concerned, but it's the creepy faceless people and stuff I'm dreading more than the gore. :shock:
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:15

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I won't say anything more 'till you've seen it then . :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:20

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:I won't say anything more 'till you've seen it then . :whistle:


Fair enough. ^^ I'll probably start it tonight. At the moment I'm editing fanfic, though, so the faceless people and gore will have to wait. :lol:
<<

Kim

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:22

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I'd tell you to get your priorities straight, but what do you do when you have two of equal importance? :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:31

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Kim wrote:I'd tell you to get your priorities straight, but what do you do when you have two of equal importance? :happy:


It's a tough one, isn't it? :lol: But "Anew" is due for an update, and I have time to kill while I wait to go the dentist. S&S works better as evening viewing anyway. :wink:
<<

Avengerdan

User avatar

Lumley Looney

Posts: 847

Joined: 02 Sep 2009, 10:29

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 21:58

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Does the kid really look like you? I liked him a lot, actually (his little sister, who really needs to learn how to enunciate, got on my nerves a bit). He holds his own pretty darn well against S&S--hugely mature for his age. I sort of forgot he was a kid sometimes.


I was older. I would have been 18/19, but yes - same hair and brown clothes. I still wear brown but the hair is noticeably diiferent. Well, I say 'hair' ... :no: :cry:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It hadn't occured to me that it was done on video, but looking at it, it must have been. I don't know how many overseas sales it got. As you say, McCallum was well-known, and Joanna, too, with TNA's sales, so it would seem odd if they didn't try to exploit that.


I think it comes down to cost, like the earliest Avengers days, and how the ATV budget was apportioned. It might be they knew it was going to be a series that would have an a particular audience, but with a bigger budget and bigger special effects - who knows. It might have been a different type of show though. I kind of like the claustrophobia atmosphere.

I think they were very lucky to get the calibre of McCallum and Joanna and that casting may have given it legs it may not have had with less charismatic leads.
Image
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Jun 2010, 22:40

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Wow this topic has grown significantly since last time I was online :squee:
I'm so glad you're enjoying Sapphire & Steel so far, Timeless! It really is a great series and it's been far too long since I've watched it. Luckily I'm at home now so I've got my DVD box here, so I might just join you in watching the episodes. It's definitely spooky isn't it?

Oh and assignment 2 is my favourite as well Kim :grin:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jun 2010, 01:01

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Avengerdan wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Does the kid really look like you? I liked him a lot, actually (his little sister, who really needs to learn how to enunciate, got on my nerves a bit). He holds his own pretty darn well against S&S--hugely mature for his age. I sort of forgot he was a kid sometimes.


I was older. I would have been 18/19, but yes - same hair and brown clothes. I still wear brown but the hair is noticeably diiferent. Well, I say 'hair' ... :no: :cry:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It hadn't occured to me that it was done on video, but looking at it, it must have been. I don't know how many overseas sales it got. As you say, McCallum was well-known, and Joanna, too, with TNA's sales, so it would seem odd if they didn't try to exploit that.


I think it comes down to cost, like the earliest Avengers days, and how the ATV budget was apportioned. It might be they knew it was going to be a series that would have an a particular audience, but with a bigger budget and bigger special effects - who knows. It might have been a different type of show though. I kind of like the claustrophobia atmosphere.

I think they were very lucky to get the calibre of McCallum and Joanna and that casting may have given it legs it may not have had with less charismatic leads.


I'm sure you're just as loveable now as you were then, Dandy. :hug:

I don't know what the budget for S&S was, but cost-cutting was probably the reasoning behind it. The production schedule seems to have been a bit haphazard and by the seat of their pants, so I don't know how much support it was really getting from ATV. The fact that it never got a proper finale speaks to that. It's sort of similar to the way they skimped on Jason King by shooting it on 16mm to save costs, because Lew Grade didn't have a lot of faith in it, effectively killing overseas sales. A bigger budget would probably have killed some of the atmosphere, though, definitely.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jun 2010, 01:04

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Philippa wrote:Wow this topic has grown significantly since last time I was online :squee:
I'm so glad you're enjoying Sapphire & Steel so far, Timeless! It really is a great series and it's been far too long since I've watched it. Luckily I'm at home now so I've got my DVD box here, so I might just join you in watching the episodes. It's definitely spooky isn't it?

Oh and assignment 2 is my favourite as well Kim :grin:


I fear I may have started something by running out of other DVDs to watch. :lol: This board could use a little action anyway. :wink:

Yes, I enjoyed the first assignment much more than I thought I would--a very tense, gripping piece of drama. They keep the suspense high even though they stretch it out over multiple parts. We'll see if my view on it changes with a new assignment, though. But I'm glad I'm finally watching it--I keep hearing about it all the time, so I figured I may as well see what it's like for myself. 'Tis spooky, but not as bad as I thought it would be. I think I keep worrying about Joanna in those contact lenses more than anything. Ouch, ouch, ouch! :lol:
<<

Kim

Post 03 Jun 2010, 01:12

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

I'm watching assignment two now since it's too hot to sleep. Watch it with us Phil and Dandy, then we can really make this topic rock. :hyper:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jun 2010, 08:33

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Yeah then we can move over to the 'Assignment 2 discussion topic', it could do with a boost as well :yes:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jun 2010, 18:47

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Philippa wrote:Yeah then we can move over to the 'Assignment 2 discussion topic', it could do with a boost as well :yes:


This whole board could, in actual fact. I love how everyone here is suddenly into Sapphire and Steel - it's the only board that pretty much got forgotten unfortunately. Nice work guys. :yes:

(I shall later join in the fun of discussing this assignment myself, as soon as I've finished watching it)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jun 2010, 18:56

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:Yeah then we can move over to the 'Assignment 2 discussion topic', it could do with a boost as well :yes:


This whole board could, in actual fact. I love how everyone here is suddenly into Sapphire and Steel - it's the only board that pretty much got forgotten unfortunately. Nice work guys. :yes:

(I shall later join in the fun of discussing this assignment myself, as soon as I've finished watching it)


All I did was finally get around to watching the DVD set--now everyone seems to be watching it. Did I start something? :huh:

Anyway, this board has been pretty dead, so maybe we can liven it up a little for a change. I'm more likely to watch this than Sensitive Skin, and I'm enjoying the opportunity to chat about a different Joanna project in a different part of the forum, though I don't think I'll be abandoning TNA any time soon. At the very least, I've already given it at least one wordy post. :tongue:
PreviousNext

Return to Sapphire & Steel

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred