Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jun 2010, 20:29

Re: Assignment 1 discussion [contains spoilers]

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Anyway, this board has been pretty dead, so maybe we can liven it up a little for a change. I'm more likely to watch this than Sensitive Skin, and I'm enjoying the opportunity to chat about a different Joanna project in a different part of the forum, though I don't think I'll be abandoning TNA any time soon. At the very least, I've already given it at least one wordy post. :tongue:

It has been, but remember it's not a recent project at all and I doubt if many people here have watched it when it first aired. I really do think we ought to keep this board though: where else are you going to find a place where people can discuss this show? It has been a very popular show after all.

There's nothing wrong with having a (slight) preference for one of the four boards dedicated to the shows, but it's nice to keep the discussions going.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jun 2010, 20:42

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Anyway, this board has been pretty dead, so maybe we can liven it up a little for a change. I'm more likely to watch this than Sensitive Skin, and I'm enjoying the opportunity to chat about a different Joanna project in a different part of the forum, though I don't think I'll be abandoning TNA any time soon. At the very least, I've already given it at least one wordy post. :tongue:

It has been, but remember it's not a recent project at all and I doubt if many people here have watched it when it first aired. I really do think we ought to keep this board though: where else are you going to find a place where people can discuss this show? It has been a very popular show after all.

There's nothing wrong with having a (slight) preference for one of the four boards dedicated to the shows, but it's nice to keep the discussions going.

I definitely think it's a good idea to have it--it was a major Joanna project, after all. I didn't think my post was saying that we should get rid of it, but there's no doubt it's been the most neglected section of the foru. S&S is a very niche show, and not everyone is a fan of sci-fi (though I have been since a very young age). It's also not widely screened, so its profile is low. I've known about it for years, and only just gotten around to giving it a shot. There are a lot of shows out there battling for attention, and it takes time and a certain degree of commitment to choose to watch a new one. We seem to have kicked some watching off, now, though, so we'll give this board some activity fo a change. I'm happy to chat about it. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 03 Jun 2010, 20:50

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

For as long as this forum has been here I think we've discussed AbFab and TNA, so it's nice to move on to something else too for once. Perhaps you'll love this show so much you'll start writing fanfic about it. Who can say? :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:They took back an awful lot of time at the end, though it seemed to me that more than half a day had elapsed throughout the episode, and quite why Rob is the only one to remember anything is a bit up in the air--I guess because he wasn't in the room when everything kicked off. Anyway, I enjoyed it in a cozy little way--it wasn't anywhere as scary as I'd feared (but I guess the really creepy ones are yet to come).

Pretty much my thoughts on the first assignment: not incredibly freaky like some say, but then again: I've grown up in an era where they were really exploring the boundaries of the special effects, so I tend to like things that are a bit simpler. There's nice chemistry going on between Joanna and David though, so that's always a good thing. I don't think this show will ever become my favourite Lumley project, perhaps it could have been if I watched it when I first aired.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2010, 01:20

Re: Assignment 1 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Mara wrote:For as long as this forum has been here I think we've discussed AbFab and TNA, so it's nice to move on to something else too for once. Perhaps you'll love this show so much you'll start writing fanfic about it. Who can say? :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:They took back an awful lot of time at the end, though it seemed to me that more than half a day had elapsed throughout the episode, and quite why Rob is the only one to remember anything is a bit up in the air--I guess because he wasn't in the room when everything kicked off. Anyway, I enjoyed it in a cozy little way--it wasn't anywhere as scary as I'd feared (but I guess the really creepy ones are yet to come).

Pretty much my thoughts on the first assignment: not incredibly freaky like some say, but then again: I've grown up in an era where they were really exploring the boundaries of the special effects, so I tend to like things that are a bit simpler. There's nice chemistry going on between Joanna and David though, so that's always a good thing. I don't think this show will ever become my favourite Lumley project, perhaps it could have been if I watched it when I first aired.

I actually already do have one small fanfic idea, as it happens. We'll see where it goes... :whistle:

I actually really love vintage special effects, because when they're good it's wonderful to see what they did with limited technology--Randall and Hopkirk and I Dream of Jeannie were particularly brilliant at it. So was The Champions. They could do some really great things with a bit of a string and some lights. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy was absolutely gorgeous and all put together with retro animation effects in 1981. So I definitely don't hold the effects against it (except the spotlights--that's a bit low-rent even for me. I did that with a flashlight when I was eight. They need to work a tiny bit harder than that :lol: ). I'm still getting the feel of Joanna/David's partnership. So far I feel as though he treats her worse than she does him. I'm hoping that'll rectify itself over time.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 Jun 2010, 11:31

Ooh a fanfic idea. I like the sound of that :whistle:

And I agree about the special effects. One of the reasons why I really like them is because they managed to do so much with so very little technology. It just makes it that extra bit special.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2010, 16:10

Philippa wrote:Ooh a fanfic idea. I like the sound of that :whistle:

And I agree about the special effects. One of the reasons why I really like them is because they managed to do so much with so very little technology. It just makes it that extra bit special.

Just a small one. We'll see what comes of it. :grin:

The stuff they managed to do back in the sixties, seventies, and eighties without CGI is pretty amazing at times. Sometimes it just comes off as ropey, but S&S has done admirably thus far (except for the spotlights :lol: ).
<<

Kim

Post 04 Jun 2010, 23:52

This may have been mentioned here before, but I've come across a site that has novelized the series.
http://www.fortunecity.com/tatooine/hal ... steel.html

Fair warning..the novelizations seem to be very true to the original show, so if you haven't seen S&S or are just now watching it, avoid this site for now. :happy:
Previous

Return to Sapphire & Steel