Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 2 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Jun 2010, 09:43

Re: Assignment 2 discussion [contains spoilers]

It's been a while since I saw the ending as well, but I do seem to remember that Tully was aware of what was going to happen to him. It seemed as though he sort of accepted his fate. Quite sad and bittersweet, but a very brave last act too.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Jun 2010, 16:55

Laura wrote:What a brilliant review Timeless, you summed up many of the feelings I had when I watched the Assignment a few months ago. I thought the range of Joanna's acting in this particular case highlighted her talent and depth of acting perfectly. It was a scary situation I think, but the first assignment scared me more.

I better get on with the other assignments now!

Thank you, Laura--I didn't know if anyone was reading my big long-winded posts. :lol: Yes, I'm wordy, but I wanted to get all my thoughts in there--do a proper analysis of the series as I watch.

Joanna's acting in this one is particularly brilliant, definitely--they gave her a lot to work with, and she took advantage of it all. I think the first one freaked me out more, too, though.

Yes, get on with the rest--I'm just flying through them, so if you want to join in, you're very welcome to. :grin:

Philippa wrote:It's been a while since I saw the ending as well, but I do seem to remember that Tully was aware of what was going to happen to him. It seemed as though he sort of accepted his fate. Quite sad and bittersweet, but a very brave last act too.

Yes, Tully's final moments are heartbreaking, but he seems to be very accepting of his fate. That little wave says it all. :cry:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Jun 2010, 23:02

Pfew, I've finally made it through assignment 2. I really have the patience to sit down and watch a series properly for a long time, but I have to say I struggled to get to all the 24 parts on Youtube because the plot does evolve really rather slowly.

I can definitely see why this must have been the most frightening thing in the early eighties - the special effects are, considering the era they were shot in, really good. I can't say I found it incredibly scary (except for the end) probably because so much creepier stuff is shown on television nowadays. (but then again, the ''low budget'' kind of set really does contribute to the atmosphere in this series)

I loved the scene in which darkness took of possession Sapphire though - great acting by both Joanna and David. It reminded me in a way of the seventies horror movie ''The Exorcist'' that I recently watched, and I wonder if that movie inspired the writer of this show to use that ''demon takes over innocent woman/girl'' idea and adapt it to the set of this series. All I could think of was ''poor Jo'' though, having to wear those contact lenses and being practically blind through those scenes.

As for the final scene: poor mr. Tully! His friendliness and willingness to take care of Sapphire makes you wish they had not left him to suffer such a cruel faith. :no:

Plus, the thing the demon creature did to her face... I didn't see that one coming at all so I couldn't oppress a little scream. (this is what happens if you watch a science-fiction series in the middle of the night in a house that is fasten asleep...) Jo honestly scared me there for a moment, pfew.

I ought be watching something Lumleyish that doesn't freak me out now, like Catwoman or Sensitive Skin or something. :blush:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jun 2010, 00:06

Yeah, the meat on her face was pretty sudden and horrifying. I jumped when I saw it, and I'd been reading about it in Cult TV the night before. It's not really meant to be horror, but slow-burning suspense with the occasional horror element. I wasn't really scared by it, either, but it keeps you on your toes. Once you get into the feel of it, it holds your attention pretty well, I think.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Jun 2010, 08:36

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yeah, the meat on her face was pretty sudden and horrifying. I jumped when I saw it, and I'd been reading about it in Cult TV the night before. It's not really meant to be horror, but slow-burning suspense with the occasional horror element.

I think it would be fair to say I didn't see it coming at all. I rethought the whole episode later that night but only then I vaguely remembered the story of Joanna having to put meat on her face to film this, which must have been utterly disgusting. (especially for her, since she doesn't eat meat either) I had no idea what it was when I first watched the scene either, so they did very well, I must say.

Yuck. :yuk:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Jun 2010, 10:06

Especially assignment 2 does have some scary stuff in it, so I can definitely see why it scared you. Also when she's possessed by that demon or whatever, and she opens her eyes and they're all black, I thought that was really frightening. Like I said, I haven't seen the episodes for a while, so I might be scared stiff all over again when I rewatch them.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Jun 2010, 10:16

I think it'd be fair to say I'm - again - absolutely taken by her performance. Like Timeless pointed out, this assignment is pretty much based on Joanna's great acting. Apart from the special effects, it would have been pretty dull otherwise. Is there anything this woman can't do? From on screen action in TNA to science-fiction in this series, back to grotesque comedy and to pure drama with Sensitive Skin... Wow.

Philippa wrote:Especially assignment 2 does have some scary stuff in it, so I can definitely see why it scared you. Also when she's possessed by that demon or whatever, and she opens her eyes and they're all black, I thought that was really frightening.

It was a bit disturbing, but somehow not as frightening as the meat face. Partly because - like I said - I more or less already saw it coming (the whole dramatic 'I can't open my eyes!') and the fact that I knew about this scene and how it had been filmed. Haha, I guess that's the consequence of getting to grips with an actress before having watched a particular series.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That’d be a shame, though, because Joanna essentially owns these two episodes with her performances. This seems surprising considering she spends a good chunk of the start of the first one lying in that corridor, and an equally large chunk at the end with her eyes closed, her consciousness disconnected from her body because Steel broke the séance circle too soon. (Here’s an idea—run while holding hands. It can be done.) Not only does she get a bit chippy with Steel and his methods, but she does some fantastic acting while under the influence of the various lost souls. First she does her great little masculine voice while channelling the dead submariners, complete with sneer. Joanna can sneer better than anyone in the whole world, as she proved again and again in AbFab—her top lip goes so far up it should be physically impossible.

Haha! :lmao: That description is so hilariously accurate that it almost made me spill my tea over my keyboard. I can just picture Joanna sneering as we speak and I tell you, I wouldn't very much like to be crossing paths with her when she does that...

Did I also mention how I love how Sapphire is so much taller than Steel is? I'm guessing David and Joanna are about the same height, so putting her in heels was naturally going to make her look taller.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jun 2010, 16:14

Mara wrote:I think it would be fair to say I didn't see it coming at all. I rethought the whole episode later that night but only then I vaguely remembered the story of Joanna having to put meat on her face to film this, which must have been utterly disgusting. (especially for her, since she doesn't eat meat either) I had no idea what it was when I first watched the scene either, so they did very well, I must say.

Yuck. :yuk:

Oh, the meat was gross. I'm really glad they only showed it once, to be honest. But they said that they put it all over Joanna and she didn't mind at all, even though she was a vegetarian. Like you said, I was expecting the black eyes because I'd heard/seen so much about them, but the meat face I didn't expect in that episode, so I really jumped for that one. :lol:

Mara wrote:I think it'd be fair to say I'm - again - absolutely taken by her performance. Like Timeless pointed out, this assignment is pretty much based on Joanna's great acting. Apart from the special effects, it would have been pretty dull otherwise. Is there anything this woman can't do? From on screen action in TNA to science-fiction in this series, back to grotesque comedy and to pure drama with Sensitive Skin... Wow.

Philippa wrote:Especially assignment 2 does have some scary stuff in it, so I can definitely see why it scared you. Also when she's possessed by that demon or whatever, and she opens her eyes and they're all black, I thought that was really frightening.

It was a bit disturbing, but somehow not as frightening as the meat face. Partly because - like I said - I more or less already saw it coming (the whole dramatic 'I can't open my eyes!') and the fact that I knew about this scene and how it had been filmed. Haha, I guess that's the consequence of getting to grips with an actress before having watched a particular series.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That’d be a shame, though, because Joanna essentially owns these two episodes with her performances. This seems surprising considering she spends a good chunk of the start of the first one lying in that corridor, and an equally large chunk at the end with her eyes closed, her consciousness disconnected from her body because Steel broke the séance circle too soon. (Here’s an idea—run while holding hands. It can be done.) Not only does she get a bit chippy with Steel and his methods, but she does some fantastic acting while under the influence of the various lost souls. First she does her great little masculine voice while channelling the dead submariners, complete with sneer. Joanna can sneer better than anyone in the whole world, as she proved again and again in AbFab—her top lip goes so far up it should be physically impossible.

Haha! :lmao: That description is so hilariously accurate that it almost made me spill my tea over my keyboard. I can just picture Joanna sneering as we speak and I tell you, I wouldn't very much like to be crossing paths with her when she does that...

Did I also mention how I love how Sapphire is so much taller than Steel is? I'm guessing David and Joanna are about the same height, so putting her in heels was naturally going to make her look taller.

Oh, Joanna's acting in this one is first-rate. Just magnificent. Some of those episodes are essentially built on her performances. She really is multi-talented. She plays Sapphire very differently from Purdey, probably her closest role to Sapphire (Patsy et al. are grounded elsewhere). Just a pleasure to behold.

Hee, I made you giggle. :grin: I have been fascinated by Joanna's sneering abilities since I saw her in Faces chewing that gum and sneering away. She gets her lip right up her gum. It shouldn't be possible. But man, is she good at it. I need a sneering Joanna avatar. It's a wonder to behold.

If you look elsewhere in this thread, you'll see that I discuss the height issue at length, but yes, Joanna and David are exactly the same height, 5'8", but they put her in the sort of heels Purdey would be proud of. In the first assignment she had flats, so I though they were trying to d disguise it, but they never do it again, and she towers over him as a consequence for the rest of the episodes. I love this because it shows that a) David isn't so vain and insecure that he doesn't care if he's shorter than his female co-star and b) they're not afraid to show it on TV. It's refreshing. ^^

But I should point out that that was never a problem when she acted with Gareth. :whistle:
<<

Marina_Wilkie

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: Sapphire & Steel

Post 21 Jan 2013, 20:47

This is probably my favourite assignment! I love how you see both Sapphie and Steel develope, and I know that sounds cheesy but we see a lot more of them in this assignment. I love how we see that they have a supposal relationship, Steel asking whether she is the sapphire he has come to know and to love, kissing her on the cheek etc. And to be honest I don't really like it when Steel is blunt and horribe to Sapphire but then again I think it makes it a whole lot better when he is nice to her because you see how he really feels because he kind of strip backs his stress. And, just for the record, I love the blue dress joanna wears in this assignment, I wish I could get my hands on it!!
Previous

Return to Sapphire & Steel