Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Assignment 5 discussion [contains spoilers]

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:33

Assignment 5 discussion [contains spoilers]

Here's the place to discuss Sapphire & Steel Assignment 5: Mr. McDee Must Die!

Fire away! :party:
No Room For Secrets
<<

Louise

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Jul 2009, 13:37

Re: Assignment 5 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

I watched this one last night, a very clever episode but what was the meaing of the kiss?? I really didn't understand the significance of it. I loved how Sapphire has to explain to Steel in which order to use his cutlery!!
'and I happen to like marshmallows....!'
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 13 Jul 2009, 07:21

Re: Assignment 5 Discussion *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Hm, I don't know about the kiss, either. I always thought that was to kinda distract time, convince it for a little longer it was dealing with Miles and Virginia instead of Sapphire and Steel?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jun 2010, 17:53

Re: Assignment 5 discussion [contains spoilers]

Only seen the first episode of this one, but I can see why it's well-liked. A party in the past, S&S masquerading as a married couple (why don't Purdey and Gambit ever do this?), Steel in a bad moustache and slicked do (I love Sapphire's reaction: "Wow!"). Sapphire's first dress is terrible and cheap looking, but she soon changes into a lovely black evening gown. I actually own a photo of it that was taken by a fanzine journalist when he went to interview Joanna on the set of the episode.

I can just tell that S&S as Miles and Virginia are going to be fun--Joanna in particular is having fun, being rather Purdeyesque as she instructs Steel on etiquette--"Chin chin"-- and asks him which side of the bed he wants. He just looks at her as though he doesn't get the significance at all. A bit thick at times, is Steel. :lol:

This was the only assignment not written by PJ Hammond, he having run out of time and not gotten a script written in time for production. Ironically, right around this time, Douglas Adams was also having trouble coming up with material in time for the next episode of a little radio series called The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and roped in extra material from his old friend John Lloyd. Presumably PJ didn't spend so much time in the bath, though. :lmao:

More on this one when I see more of it.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Jun 2010, 17:54

Watched episodes 2-4 last night. You can definitely feel that this one was written by someone else--the mood is subtlely different--but I'm enjoying it. The whole twist on the murder mystery genre is quite clever, with strange murders and secret love affairs. And some genuine scares--the bit where Sapphire gleefully tries to stab herself is horrifying (Joanna acts it so well--she looks genuinely insane), and then she turns the gun on Steel (I had mild Purdey flashbacks, I'll admit). I'm not quite sure why Sapphire does either--is she possessed by the evil force, or is she reenacting the murders? Maybe this'll become apparent as the episode goes on.

The whole time paradox is a bit confusing, but clearly intentionally so--some of the people accept the resurrected McDee, others don't, and some start calling poor Howard Malcolm instead, while others keep his identity straight. By the end they all seem good with it, and Emma is replaying her affair with McDee. Ooh, scandalous!

Anyway, it's a fun romp thus far (Sapphire continues to be Steel's etiquette teacher, on everything from drinking to cutlery use). I have to admit I don't get why Sapphire kisses Steel, either. The only reason that seems plausible is to continue to keep the personas of Virginia and Miles alive--as they say, it makes it hard for the force to deal with them if it has to do so on more than one level. They keep talking telepathically throughout and neither of them seems particularly affected/surprised by it. They just do it as a matter of course, so that seems a likely explanation. Anyway, two episodes to go. Stay tuned...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 18:55

Finished this one! As Shaun O'Riordan said in the intro, it feels very different from the rest of S&S, but that's okay--it's fun to have a good old-fashioned murder mystery and S&S in period clothes. It's also nice that no one had to die for real in the end--well, except Dr. McDee, but that was sort of the point, wasn't it? He had to die to set everything right. The reenaction bit was fun, with S&S trying to discern where the break in time would come. But the funnest bit of the last couple episodes is Felix, who is so inordinately thrilled to be able to talk telepathecally--he's like a little kid, he's so excited to play with it, even if he gets it wrong sometimes. He wants to help out, too, so badly, and he even wants an elemental name--Brass. What a fun, light touch. When he died, I was sad because it meant we weren't going to have him wandering around playing honourary element.

We get more S&S background--they're not from this planet, and definitely not human, which sort of wrecks Joanna's ghost theory. They spell out their role and identity pretty well here, though--it's nice to have a little clarity near the end. And, of course, in the end they were never really there at all. Naturally.

I enjoyed this one. I'm enjoying the whole series, really, and I'm a bit sad I only have one assignment left. Pretty soon it's going to go very badly for S&S...
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Jun 2010, 19:01

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I actually own a photo of it that was taken by a fanzine journalist when he went to interview Joanna on the set of the episode.

I haven't watch this episode yet unfortunately, but I have to say I absolutely adore this picture: stunning! Thanks very much for sharing. :squee:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Jun 2010, 19:05

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I actually own a photo of it that was taken by a fanzine journalist when he went to interview Joanna on the set of the episode.

I haven't watch this episode yet unfortunately, but I have to say I absolutely adore this picture: stunning! Thanks very much for sharing. :squee:

Isn't it, though? ^^ The guy (the actual journalist who ran the fanzine, took the photo, and did the interview) was selling a bunch of them on ebay, all of Joanna in different poses, and I liked this one the best, the way she looked in it. I must have liked it a lot because I've had it for a few years, and I only started watching S&S last week. I love her hair and her dress in that story--she's undercover as a human, and she looks great. So I thought I'd dig it out of my files when I went to talk about this episode. Glad you like it. :grin:
<<

Kim

Post 11 Jun 2010, 04:26

I really enjoyed this particular assignment. As you say, it was very different from the other assignments. I'm so glad you are enjoying this. I would have felt guilty if you hadn't. :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 16:03

Kim wrote:I really enjoyed this particular assignment. As you say, it was very different from the other assignments. I'm so glad you are enjoying this. I would have felt guilty if you hadn't. :happy:

Well, no guilt for you. I really enjoyed it. I enjoyed the whole series. I'm glad I watched it now. And I didn't end up traumatised. ^^
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jun 2010, 23:48

I'm really looking forward to this assignment, i love the whole vintage look going on there!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Jun 2010, 00:19

Laura wrote:I'm really looking forward to this assignment, i love the whole vintage look going on there!

The vintage setting definitely adds to the mood. It's one of the best stories of the series, no doubt. I hope you enjoy it. How much of S&S have you seen, Laura?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Jun 2010, 17:21

I've only seen #1 and #2, I might watch some more tonight actually. :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Jun 2010, 17:32

Laura wrote:I've only seen #1 and #2, I might watch some more tonight actually. :happy:

Oh, well, then you've got lots of fun stuff to go. :yes: #3's a bit dodgy, but at least it has Silver in it. :lol:

(And there's no background knowledge needed for my fic--I wrote it with only about half the episodes anyway :lol: ).
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Jun 2010, 17:48

I'm watching #5 now :happy:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Jun 2010, 09:39

Finished #5 last night. It was good, I adored the vintage feeling, but again I thought some of the assignment was too long. An interesting story compared to #1 and #2 (these being the only others i've seen so far,) once again S&S were great.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jun 2010, 16:02

Laura wrote:Finished #5 last night. It was good, I adored the vintage feeling, but again I thought some of the assignment was too long. An interesting story compared to #1 and #2 (these being the only others i've seen so far,) once again S&S were great.

I didn't feel like that one was too long, actually. I've come to the conclusion that six episodes is the perfect length for an S&S story--eight drags, but four isn't enough. That one just built nicely, I think, ticking off the murders and building up to the reeactment of the past. It's one of the standout stories, I think. And Sapphire's dress is awesome. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Jun 2010, 22:12

I agree with you on the terms of it being a standout, its my favourite of the ones i've seen so far. :happy: The old woman really annoyed me though!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jun 2010, 01:54

Laura wrote:I agree with you on the terms of it being a standout, its my favourite of the ones i've seen so far. :happy: The old woman really annoyed me though!

Which one? There were a couple knocking around. :lol:

I loved Dr. McDee, though, even though he was kind of a jerk, just because I love listening to his accent. I'm such a sucker for a Scots accent. :hearteyes:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jun 2010, 12:01

Haha yea he was funny. Oh Emma and Felicity, really annoying.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jun 2010, 15:57

Laura wrote:Haha yea he was funny. Oh Emma and Felicity, really annoying.

Yeah, they were. Figures they were at the bottom of it all, for one reason or another. Makes you want to yell, "Just dump him! The guy's a jerk!" at the screen. :lol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Jun 2010, 13:06

Haha exactly! I had my suspicions about them as soon as they appeared hah.

Return to Sapphire & Steel