Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Auctions

<<

AnnaB

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Sep 2013, 10:14

Auctions

Have just found out that there are 2 items to be auctioned donated by Joanna to help the Sanctuary, you maybe interested. http://www.thefarmanimalsanctuary.co.uk/auction/
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Sep 2013, 09:00

Re: Auctions

AnnaB wrote:Have just found out that there are 2 items to be auctioned donated by Joanna to help the Sanctuary, you maybe interested. http://www.thefarmanimalsanctuary.co.uk/auction/

Grreat find. I hope they will raise some money with that. I don't like these closed auction stuff, so I won't do it, but on ebay I would have been tempted...
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

AnnaB

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 05 Sep 2013, 19:28

Hi Luna Five,

I know exactly what you mean - never mind, they may get something else so I can sell it on Ebay for them. I posted it here as it was Joanna related.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Sep 2013, 06:50

AnnaB wrote:Hi Luna Five,

I know exactly what you mean - never mind, they may get something else so I can sell it on Ebay for them. I posted it here as it was Joanna related.

Well, good luck then! :thumb:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Sep 2013, 13:05

I really, really want that script :squee: Anna, do you happen to know what the highest bid is?
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 08 Sep 2013, 15:59

Oh wow that script :hearteyes: It would be amazing to have that.

The fact that it's a closed bid means you don't know what the highest bid is, because it's not disclosed. You have to wait until the auction ends to see if you have won.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Sep 2013, 22:43

Philippa wrote:The fact that it's a closed bid means you don't know what the highest bid is, because it's not disclosed. You have to wait until the auction ends to see if you have won.

Oh I see, I didn't actually pay attention to this (focussing too much on Joanna's notes I suppose - 'cheers sweetie!') :wub: Some kind of indication of its value would have been helpful though, as I have absolutely no idea what a signed script might be worth. Fifty quid sounds reasonable...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Sep 2013, 03:06

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:The fact that it's a closed bid means you don't know what the highest bid is, because it's not disclosed. You have to wait until the auction ends to see if you have won.

Oh I see, I didn't actually pay attention to this (focussing too much on Joanna's notes I suppose - 'cheers sweetie!') :wub: Some kind of indication of its value would have been helpful though, as I have absolutely no idea what a signed script might be worth. Fifty quid sounds reasonable...

I have absolutely no idea what an AbFab script would be worth, but given it's an original script (not a copy), is Joanna's personal script, and is personally signed by her, my estimate would be "lots." :wink: I think I paid somewhere in the range of 100-200 pounds for my original, Joanna-signed TNA script. That's older and slightly rarer, but I can see the AbFab one being worth at least 50, easy. Bottom line is what you want to pay, though--it's worth whatever the person who buys it thinks it is. Closed auctions are nice because you can set yourself a maximum, submit it, and if you get it, you get it. You're not tempted to keep upping your bid that tiny bit more incrementally until you're paying way more than you planned. Which isn't fun. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Sep 2013, 21:42

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Closed auctions are nice because you can set yourself a maximum, submit it, and if you get it, you get it. You're not tempted to keep upping your bid that tiny bit more incrementally until you're paying way more than you planned. Which isn't fun. :lol:

Ah yes, which is why I sometimes force myself not to log onto Ebay: it's just too tempting to keep on bidding. I can easily see why an original copy of a script would raise up to 200 pounds, but the funny thing is that lots of AbFab memorabilia has actually raised that much over the past few years. I remember someone who tried to sell a couple of costumes for two hundred quid and sure, people where interested, but it took quite a while to sell them.

It probably helps that the Avengers has a more 'matured' fandom I guess. A lot of AbFab fans are in their twenties and struggling to pay their uni fees and bills as it is :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Sep 2013, 13:39

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Closed auctions are nice because you can set yourself a maximum, submit it, and if you get it, you get it. You're not tempted to keep upping your bid that tiny bit more incrementally until you're paying way more than you planned. Which isn't fun. :lol:

Ah yes, which is why I sometimes force myself not to log onto Ebay: it's just too tempting to keep on bidding. I can easily see why an original copy of a script would raise up to 200 pounds, but the funny thing is that lots of AbFab memorabilia has actually raised that much over the past few years. I remember someone who tried to sell a couple of costumes for two hundred quid and sure, people where interested, but it took quite a while to sell them.

It probably helps that the Avengers has a more 'matured' fandom I guess. A lot of AbFab fans are in their twenties and struggling to pay their uni fees and bills as it is :lol:

I understand the risks of incremental bidding all too well (let's not talk about the time I meant to bid $40 for an Ian Hendry autograph, and accidentally submitted it as $4000 :whistle: ). AbFab's twenty-odd years old now, so there must be some fans by now with the money to sink into collectibles. One thing that might affect memorabilia sales is that there's simply more of it on the market, because it's a more recent series, and they're much more aware of the desirability of original costumes and such to fans. There have been quite a few auctions of AbFab clothes by Joanna, and the BBC, and the like, who kept them and dig them out for charity. All Diana Rigg's clothes got given away to the production crew's wives, or went to Diana herself, who in turn gave them to Rachael to cut up for school projects and something. So the AbFab stuff is just more "available", and the more there is of something, the more demand goes down. Whereas Avengers fans are lucky if we see one original costume every ten years.

Return to Absolutely Fabulous