Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 26 Nov 2010, 03:42

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Today I was sitting in torts class, and I noticed the girl sitting next to me was on Facebook and there was an avatar using that photo of Patsy in New York. I asked her whose it was, she said it was hers. This is an incredibly rare occurance for me to meet someone else in person who actually knows who Joanna is, so I asked her if she was an AbFab fan, and she went "Yeah, big fan! How about you?" And I said how I liked it, but I was bigger on some of Joanna's other work, and rattled off Class Act, Sapphire and Steel and TNA, naturally. She didn't know any of those, alas, just that Joanna was "a real sixties babe." "Yes she was" I agreed. Then the prof started talking, so that was it. Because of that, I watched 15 minutes of "Doorhandle" when I was AbFab was on this evening. And that was my AbFab moment for the day sweetiedarlings. :hyper:

(I sort of wish they'd shown Patsy swiping that doorhandle, btw. She says "do you want me to get it for you?" with such confidence that I think she must have some idea how to do it. Screwdriver in the beehive?) :lmao:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 26 Nov 2010, 11:16

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless, that is fabulous! Because I know you prefer a whole bunch of other shows to AbFab, it really is kinda nice that this girl made you watch another episode... just one question: why 15 minutes and not the full ep? :lol:

I fear most people still only know her as Patsy these days. Philippa and I actually get that response a lot when people come and visit our flat, because of the portrait in the corridor. It's fun. ^^
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 26 Nov 2010, 13:37

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless, I wish I had someone next to me who likes Joanna or AbFab or whatever related show. It's nice that you ended up watching the Doorhandle episode, one of my favourites, I hope you did enjoy the 15 minutes you watched.

And Maartje, I think it's great that you and Philippa have a portrait in your corridor! :wink:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Nov 2010, 16:07

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Haha that's brilliant Timeless! Often people don't know who Joanna is, so when you do meet someone who knows her it's all the more fun ^^
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Nov 2010, 20:01

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

How fabulous Timeless! Strangely though, when I was in the USA, more people knew who she was compared to those individuals on my uni course- weird world!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Nov 2010, 21:53

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Maartje wrote:Timeless, that is fabulous! Because I know you prefer a whole bunch of other shows to AbFab, it really is kinda nice that this girl made you watch another episode... just one question: why 15 minutes and not the full ep? :lol:

I fear most people still only know her as Patsy these days. Philippa and I actually get that response a lot when people come and visit our flat, because of the portrait in the corridor. It's fun. ^^


I've come across one other person who knew her as Patsy as well. Other than that her profile isn't as high for other series--most of them have been more cult/niche, alas, and don't get enough attention.

It was fun to come across someone else who knew her, though, definitely. Already wondering if I should now address her as sweetiedarling in class. :lmao:

And as for why I only caught 15 minutes, well, I saw it was on, but that day Danny Williams, beloved premier of Newfoundland and Labradour, announced he was stepping down from politics. I love Danny dearly, so I watched his interview instead, and after that was done that left 15 minutes for Patsy and co. The poli sci junkie was stronger I'm afraid. :wink:

LunaFive wrote:Timeless, I wish I had someone next to me who likes Joanna or AbFab or whatever related show. It's nice that you ended up watching the Doorhandle episode, one of my favourites, I hope you did enjoy the 15 minutes you watched.

And Maartje, I think it's great that you and Philippa have a portrait in your corridor! :wink:


It was fun, but the end was a real downer for me. I think that's my essential problem with AbFab--the rest of it is a good lark/parody/satire gleefully taking the mickey out of the fashion industry, youth-obsessed culture, the sixties and seventies, entertainment industry, and generally letting Joanna and Jennifer run around being disgraceful, but the cruelty to the Saffy character cuts me to the quick. Some of the episodes leave me really sad as a result. I think if they'd toned down that element a touch I'd enjoy it more. As it is, some of the episodes are actually painful for me to watch. :no:

And I love that you have Joanna in your corridor, too. :grin:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Nov 2010, 23:04

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

I think Philippa and I discussed that the other day too - I feel really sorry for the Saffy character too sometimes, especially in series 5. But since they're all fictional characters I don't let it bother me - besides, they're all mad anyway. It's just not Pats or Eddie; Gran, Bubble and Saffy are completely bonkers too. It's just satire/comedy that makes me laugh and I must admit I sometimes like that kind of cruelty a bit too - it's not one of those happy family shows you get in America when they all end up sober and hugging each other. That's why AbFab would never have worked in the US.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Nov 2010, 03:19

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Maartje wrote:I think Philippa and I discussed that the other day too - I feel really sorry for the Saffy character too sometimes, especially in series 5. But since they're all fictional characters I don't let it bother me - besides, they're all mad anyway. It's just not Pats or Eddie; Gran, Bubble and Saffy are completely bonkers too. It's just satire/comedy that makes me laugh and I must admit I sometimes like that kind of cruelty a bit too - it's not one of those happy family shows you get in America when they all end up sober and hugging each other. That's why AbFab would never have worked in the US.


I take your point. As Joanna says, they're a dysfunctional bunch. :lol: And it goes far beyond what they would show in the US, to be sure--British TV is brave enough to go over the top to get things right in ways American TV often doesn't. Like I said, the Patsy/Eddie larking is fun. But whenever they're cruel to Saffy, I feel for her and what she's going through. It can kill the comedy for me. That was why I loved the Christmas episode so much, because it showed the characters evolving and sort of coming to an understanding, and then White Box went and undid it all. I still think that last special was a mistake. Maybe they can make up for it with the 20th Anniversary one?
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Nov 2010, 13:30

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Who knows?! It's going to be exciting to see if it does materialize.
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Nov 2010, 00:29

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

JackieO wrote:Who knows?! It's going to be exciting to see if it does materialize.


I suspect it will--Joanna wouldn't have blabbed about it if it was just a flight of fancy. With the 20 years connection,I think it'll prove too much for Jennifer to resist. :grin:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 29 Nov 2010, 11:07

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
JackieO wrote:Who knows?! It's going to be exciting to see if it does materialize.


I suspect it will--Joanna wouldn't have blabbed about it if it was just a flight of fancy. With the 20 years connection,I think it'll prove too much for Jennifer to resist. :grin:


Oh, I'm fairly sure they're up to something - Jennifer's usually very clear about these things but with AbFab she's always been kinda vague. Besides, they're good friends and I refuse to believe Joanna would go spreading rumours in the press if none if it were true. The question remains: will it be a series or just a special?
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Nov 2010, 18:35

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

I bet on a special.
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 29 Nov 2010, 19:54

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

JackieO wrote:I bet on a special.


That's what I think, too. A series would probably be too time and money intensive.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Nov 2010, 20:22

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

LunaFive wrote:
JackieO wrote:I bet on a special.


That's what I think, too. A series would probably be too time and money intensive.


I suspect so, too. I doubt either of them have the time or incentive to invest in the long haul that is a series. A special would keep things short and sweet.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 28 Jan 2011, 19:08

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

I know this seems to come out of left-field, but I have a couple of questions about the series. I've seen the lion's share of the episodes, but it's been awhile, and why should I go trawling the internet when I have a bunch of AbFab experts right here? :wink:

I'm wondering about a few dates, namely do they ever give an indication as to when Serge and Saffy were born, and when did Eddy marry and divorce each of her husbands? Also, do they ever flashback or talk about what Patsy and Eddy were up to in the eighties? I know we see the seventies a couple of times, but is there anything about the years in-between then and the start of the show? Maybe around 1980/81? Anything you guys can come up with, even rough estimates, would be appreciated. :yes:
Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on 29 Jan 2011, 00:34, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Jan 2011, 23:11

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Interesting question.
They never go into details, but my guess is Saffy would have been born around 1975. When the series started in 1992 she was around 16-17. Serge is a bit younger but probably not that much. Eddie wasn't married for long to either husband.
They do have a couple of flashbacks on the show, mostly from the 60s, but one from the late 70s as well when Patsy and Eddie take Saffy to the park :lol:
Hope this was of some help to you.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2011, 00:47

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Philippa wrote:Interesting question.
They never go into details, but my guess is Saffy would have been born around 1975. When the series started in 1992 she was around 16-17. Serge is a bit younger but probably not that much. Eddie wasn't married for long to either husband.
They do have a couple of flashbacks on the show, mostly from the 60s, but one from the late 70s as well when Patsy and Eddie take Saffy to the park :lol:
Hope this was of some help to you.


Thanks, Philippa. :grin:

So Serge is younger than Saffy. Okay. So Saffy was born in the mid-seventies, '75/'76ish. Am I remembering wrong, or did Eddie marry Saffy's (Canadian) dad after Saffy was born?

About much younger would you say Serge is than Saffy? (I never did see Gay, so I have no idea what he looks like.) Two or three years? Presumably enough time for Eddie to get a divorce, meet Marshall, and be pregnant. Was she married when she had Serge? :unsure:

And there's no mention of the eighties at all? I don't remember anything myself, but I thought I might have missed something along the way. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 29 Jan 2011, 00:56

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:So Serge is younger than Saffy. Okay. So Saffy was born in the mid-seventies, '75/'76ish. Am I remembering wrong, or did Eddie marry Saffy's (Canadian) dad after Saffy was born?


That's right. I'm not sure which one's the oldest though. I always thought Serge was supposed to be the older. She mentions her two husbands in one episode, describing them as ''too short'' and the other as ''gay''. The first description clearly refers to Marshall. The order could be something completely random though.

She did actually marry both: Justin admitted it was his best option at the time (probably because she was pregnant) en Marshall was stoned when he married her. :lmao:

The swinging sixties are mentioned a lot but the only real 80s reference is the little flashback scene in Small Opening, when we see Pats and Eddie in a playground with Saffy, dressed in punk clothes. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2011, 01:09

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:So Serge is younger than Saffy. Okay. So Saffy was born in the mid-seventies, '75/'76ish. Am I remembering wrong, or did Eddie marry Saffy's (Canadian) dad after Saffy was born?


That's right. I'm not sure which one's the oldest though. I always thought Serge was supposed to be the older. She mentions her two husbands in one episode, describing them as ''too short'' and the other as ''gay''. The first description clearly refers to Marshall. The order could be something completely random though.

She did actually marry both: Justin admitted it was his best option at the time (probably because she was pregnant) en Marshall was stoned when he married her. :lmao:

The swinging sixties are mentioned a lot but the only real 80s reference is the little flashback scene in Small Opening, when we see Pats and Eddie in a playground with Saffy, dressed in punk clothes. :lol:


The order confused me when I watched the show, which is why I'm seeking clarification. Websites tend to contradict each other, too. I have to admit that when I was watching, I got the sense that Jennifer sort of forgot what she'd said about the whole situation from one script to the next, and fudged in hopes that no one would look too closely. :lol: About all I was ever able to nail down was that Serge was Marshall's kid, and Saffy was the daughter of the sweet Canadian. :grin:

I have to admit I always figured Serge was older, simply because he wasn't around and was off doing things that suggest he was already an adult (didn't he spend six months submerged in a submarine or something?). On the other hand they frame Saffy's birth as though it's a new experience for Eddy, which would make Saffy older. Why does this have to be so confusing?

I remember the playground scene, but I always assumed they were still supposed to be in the seventies. Guess it depends on how old Saffy is then. Is she a really tiny kid? :unsure:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 29 Jan 2011, 01:19

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I remember the playground scene, but I always assumed they were still supposed to be in the seventies. Guess it depends on how old Saffy is then. Is she a really tiny kid? :unsure:


This is a scene from AbFab series 4 which was, if I'm not mistaken, filmed around 2003. (series 4 and onwards were set around 2000) The kid who acted in that scene must have been around 6 or 7 and I think Saffy was supposed to be 24 when she remembers how Eddie took her to the park. (Eddie mentions her age in that episode as well) Saffy wasn't supposed to be in her thirties in series 4, so that would mean that scene was set in the 80s.

I always assumed Serge was the older one because he ran off, leaving his sister to look after their mother. Jennifer has never been clear about this though and I to be honest I don't think she even thought about this. When series 1 aired in the nineties, I very much doubt if she knew was even going to be so succesful and last as long as it did. There are a lot of details that are not right simply because AbFab was written with huge hiatuses in between. Jennifer must have forgot a lot.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2011, 01:32

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I remember the playground scene, but I always assumed they were still supposed to be in the seventies. Guess it depends on how old Saffy is then. Is she a really tiny kid? :unsure:


This is a scene from AbFab series 4 which was, if I'm not mistaken, filmed around 2003. (series 4 and onwards were set around 2000) The kid who acted in that scene must have been around 6 or 7. I think Saffy was supposed to be 24 when she remembers how Eddie took her to the park. (Eddie mentions her age in that episode as well) It must have been the 80s then because Saffy was not supposed to be in her thirties yet.

I always assumed Serge was the older one because he ran off, leaving his sister to look after their mother. Jennifer has never been clear about this though and I to be honest I don't think she even thought about this. When series 1 aired in the nineties, I very much doubt if she knew was even going to be so succesful and last as long as it did. There are a lot of details that are not right simply because AbFab was written with huge hiatuses in between. Jennifer must have forgot a lot.


You're pretty much following the same reasoning I am, then. I didn't know that season 4 and on weren't supposed to be set in the "present day" (i.e., when they were shot) though. If the little Saffy is older than four or something, then you're right, it must be the early eighties. Do you think Saffy's dad was still with Eddy at that point, or had they split by then?

Like I said, Serge seems to have skipped town and be on his own, something he couldn't do if he was 15 or something. Like I said in my last post, I think Jennifer was guilty of a lot of fudging. Not only did she have the gaps, but even in the nineties series writers weren't doing detailed "Series Bibles" listing everything they ever said about every character for continuity purposes. It's only recently, with VHS and DVD releases and fans scrutnizing every frame that they've started keeping track. So she probably did contradict herself more than once. What's the general AbFab fan consensus on the matter?
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 29 Jan 2011, 11:07

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Do you think Saffy's dad was still with Eddy at that point, or had they split by then?


I think they'd split by then - there is no way Patsy and Eddie would volunteer to take Saffy to the park. :lol: Many people have wondered why Saf never went to live with her father in the first place anyway but that would, of course, totally ruin the hilarious relationship between her and Edina.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:What's the general AbFab fan consensus on the matter?


I'm not completely sure, everyone has his/her own ideas/thoughts based on single lines in the show. In fact, these are the questions I would love interviewers to answer - there much, more more interesting to fans than '''was this part written for Jo?'' (no) and ''how did it come about?' (F&S sketch) They never bother to ask these questions though which is why I don't think Jennifer has the answer to them myself. What I hope for the next series/special is that she'll finally pick up these loose ends and give us more insider's info on the characters - hey, one can dream? :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2011, 13:25

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Do you think Saffy's dad was still with Eddy at that point, or had they split by then?


I think they'd split by then - there is no way Patsy and Eddie would volunteer to take Saffy to the park. :lol: Many people have wondered why Saf never went to live with her father in the first place anyway but that would, of course, totally ruin the hilarious relationship between her and Edina.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:What's the general AbFab fan consensus on the matter?


I'm not completely sure, everyone has his/her own ideas/thoughts based on single lines in the show. In fact, these are the questions I would love interviewers to answer - there much, more more interesting to fans than '''was this part written for Jo?'' (no) and ''how did it come about?' (F&S sketch) They never bother to ask these questions though which is why I don't think Jennifer has the answer to them myself. What I hope for the next series/special is that she'll finally pick up these loose ends and give us more insider's info on the characters - hey, one can dream? :wink:


No, I can't really see Patsy and Eddie wanting to go to the park. :lol: I always wondered why Saffy didn't go live with her dad, too, but I think at some point Saffy says something about feeling responsible for Eddie, because she's not going to look after everything herself. So she stays out of duty.

It'd be nice if Jennifer laid some of this stuff down concretely, wouldn't it? :lol: So basically everyone has their own take on it, eh?
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Jan 2011, 22:37

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

I've certainly learned something!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jan 2011, 23:32

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

JackieO wrote:I've certainly learned something!


I think I'm more confused than ever. Curse you, Jennifer Saunders! :lmao:
PreviousNext

Return to Absolutely Fabulous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred