Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 20 Oct 2009, 18:10

Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

Mara wrote:Well, go for it! I love this series so much, and this section has been way too quite. Gotta catch up with the TNA board eh? :lol:

*runs off to post more in the TNA thread* :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 20 Oct 2009, 18:14

Re: The Patsy character

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Mara wrote:Well, go for it! I love this series so much, and this section has been way too quite. Gotta catch up with the TNA board eh? :lol:

You lie about 2000 posts ahead of me, so I wouldn't worry too much. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Oct 2009, 19:52

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

You lie about 2000 posts ahead of me, so I wouldn't worry too much. :lol:

Just trying to give the board itself a fighting chance. :whistle:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Oct 2009, 20:05

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Just trying to give the board itself a fighting chance.

You better help us to get this board active sweetie, we needed hyperactive typists like you in every section to keep the forum alive. :wink: (You have seen the show, haven't you?)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Oct 2009, 20:17

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Just trying to give the board itself a fighting chance.

You better help us to get this board active sweetie, we needed hyperactive typists like you in every section to keep the forum alive. :wink: (You have seen the show, haven't you?)

Hyperactive? Me? I'm just wordy, dear. :lmao:

Yes, I have seen the show--all the episodes, and quite a few of the specials, but I know I'm missing one or two of those. Gay, and whichever one has Patsy getting stuck on the ski-lift (which I remember seeing when I was little, but never found again when watching the episodes). I had access to this fabulous library at my university, and I spent much of fall 2005 watching all the VHS copies of the first three series (I already owned season 4 since my mother had bought it for me for Christmas, what with my rabid TNA fannishness). It was quite interesting to watch it in order, really, because I saw how it evolved from sort of a straightforward parody of the fashion business, with Eddy and Patsy a little more "concrete" (i.e., we see them doing more in terms of their jobs, and they come across as real, albeit shallow, people), and then gradually got more and more outrageous, until the end, when it's downright surreal. I loved the Christmas special because it seemed to tie everything up with some closure. I hated White Box because it undid all that. I find it a very hard series to watch in many ways, mainly because the humour can be very black and cruel, especially in terms of how Patsy and Eddy treat Saffy.

I was surprised to discover recently that Saffy's friend, the one who goes a bit nuts at the end, was, in fact, Tosh from Torchwoord, Naoko Mori, another very tortured character who met a tragic end. She gets work, does Naoko.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Oct 2009, 21:52

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Hyperactive? Me? I'm just wordy, dear. :lmao:

You do know that's just a reference to Edina in the episode Panickin' (series 5) eh? :whistle:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yes, I have seen the show--all the episodes, and quite a few of the specials, but I know I'm missing one or two of those. Gay, and whichever one has Patsy getting stuck on the ski-lift (which I remember seeing when I was little, but never found again when watching the episodes).

You're talking about The Last Shout there - I've recently found a copy in a shop in Amsterdam, so if it's not already in the media, I can upload it for you. I'm pretty sure Gay's already in there if you want to do a rewatch of that one.

What can I say? I totally agree with you - Cold Turkey was just such a fantastic special to end a show on, and to be quite honest, I wish they had not done White Box either. It has some truly funny scenes (like Patsy travelling back in time and Saffy who kicks the two out of her house) but I didn't like the ''vibe'' of this episode. The shown is known for pushing the boundaries a bit, but I personally think Jennifer went to far when she wrote that abuse scene in. (in which Eddie hits her grandchild) You're right about the development when it comes to the characters: they gradually became stranger and stranger, and the plots followed.

I truly love this show, and for me it's - still - the best comedy show I've ever seen. (and believe me, I've seen a lot of them, haha)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 00:06

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Hyperactive? Me? I'm just wordy, dear. :lmao:

You do know that's just a reference to Edina in the episode Panickin' (series 5) eh? :whistle:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Yes, I have seen the show--all the episodes, and quite a few of the specials, but I know I'm missing one or two of those. Gay, and whichever one has Patsy getting stuck on the ski-lift (which I remember seeing when I was little, but never found again when watching the episodes).

You're talking about The Last Shout there - I've recently found a copy in a shop in Amsterdam, so if it's not already in the media, I can upload it for you. I'm pretty sure Gay's already in there if you want to do a rewatch of that one.

What can I say? I totally agree with you - Cold Turkey was just such a fantastic special to end a show on, and to be quite honest, I wish they had not done White Box either. It has some truly funny scenes (like Patsy travelling back in time and Saffy who kicks the two out of her house) but I didn't like the ''vibe'' of this episode. The shown is known for pushing the boundaries a bit, but I personally think Jennifer went to far when she wrote that abuse scene in. (in which Eddie hits her grandchild) You're right about the development when it comes to the characters: they gradually became stranger and stranger, and the plots followed.

I truly love this show, and for me it's - still - the best comedy show I've ever seen. (and believe me, I've seen a lot of them, haha)

Oh, I missed that reference. I don't know AbFab as well, I'm afraid, not a quarter as well as you. :blush:

I never did manage to see The Last Shout/Gay. I'm sorry to say that after I saw White Box, I felt a bit betrayed by the series, and I haven't had the heart to watch another episode since. Now that I know how it ends--bleakly and hopelessly, for all the characters--I can't bear to watch the rest knowing there's never going to be any real resolution. I really think that last special was ill-advised--it feels like it's straining plotwise, as though Jennifer was out of ideas and just sort of threw a bunch of the bcommon Abfab ingredients in without blending them properly. Cold Turkey was so well-done (no pun intended) that it seemed like a betrayal of what she achieved with that. I like bFab best when they poke into the characters a little and expose all their little insecurities, and learn a little from that. I did like the Huntin' and Shootin' and Fishin' one. though, if only for Joanna in a bowler, as well as one of my favourite lines. "You could play golf." "Oh, piss off, we're not that old." You will be happy to know i quote that often. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Oct 2009, 14:57

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, I missed that reference. I don't know AbFab as well, I'm afraid, not a quarter as well as you.

Haha, thanks. I don't think there's any other show I've seen as often as I've seen AbFab - together with Philippa, I think we'd be able to literally write down most of the scripts. :blush: I do sometimes wonder why I still watch the series, but the good thing is that I keep discovering new things.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I never did manage to see The Last Shout/Gay. I'm sorry to say that after I saw White Box, I felt a bit betrayed by the series, and I haven't had the heart to watch another episode since.

I know how you feel, but I think you should give at least Gay a change. The Last Shout isn't as good as some of the other episodes either, especially when you realize it was orginally meant as the last ever episode. It almost seems like Jennfier has problems writing finals: same goes for White Box actually. The plots are getting rather strange, and indeed it feels as if she's repeating the series, which is partly true in fact. Just pay attention to lines like ''I hardly know her (first used in series 4). I do think there's a fair change they'll done one more special in the future, in which case I hope they'll only broadcast it if it's good.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I did like the Huntin' and Shootin' and Fishin' one. though, if only for Joanna in a bowler, as well as one of my favourite lines. "You could play golf." "Oh, piss off, we're not that old." You will be happy to know i quote that often.

The best episode of series 5, I'd say. ''How do you think we are?'', and of course: ''Is it a hat?'' (which is obviously a variation on ''Is it a bee?'', but thanks to Joanna's brilliant acting, she got away with that) :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 17:01

Mara wrote:Haha, thanks. I don't think there's any other show I've seen as often as I've seen AbFab - together with Philippa, I think we'd be able to literally write down most of the scripts. :blush: I do sometimes wonder why I still watch the series, but the good thing is that I keep discovering new things.

I know how you feel, but I think you should give at least Gay a change. The Last Shout isn't as good as some of the other episodes either, especially when you realize it was orginally meant as the last ever episode. It almost seems like Jennfier has problems writing finals: same goes for White Box actually. The plots are getting rather strange, and indeed it feels as if she's repeating the series, which is partly true in fact. Just pay attention to lines like ''I hardly know her (first used in series 4). I do think there's a fair change they'll done one more special in the future, in which case I hope they'll only broadcast it if it's good.

The best episode of series 5, I'd say. ''How do you think we are?'', and of course: ''Is it a hat?'' (which is obviously a variation on ''Is it a bee?'', but thanks to Joanna's brilliant acting, she got away with that) :whistle:

I sometimes feel like, if you gave me a bowler, a bobbed wig, and a pair of flares, I could act out most of the TNA triumvirate's exchanges. You know you've seen a show too many times when.... :lol:

I remember reading less than impressed reviews of The Last Shout, so Jennifer does seem to have issues wrapping things up. Sometimes it's just better to write an ordinary episode and leave people with the feeling that things will carry on as normal. She did a really brilliant job with the Christmas one, though--better to quit while she was ahead on that one, I think.

Is the hunting one the one where Patsy ends up with the bird in her hair? It's one of the best stories all the way around--less cruel humour.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Oct 2009, 17:47

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I sometimes feel like, if you gave me a bowler, a bobbed wig, and a pair of flares, I could act out most of the TNA triumvirate's exchanges. You know you've seen a show too many times when....

That can be arranged. Make sure you bring a camera too. :whistle: I'm a big fan of quoting comedy, but not many often understand what I'm drivelling on about, unfortunately. (that's why lunch with Philippa is always so good, haha)

You're right there, although I'd generally say every AbFab episode is worth seeing. There are the weaker ones, and The Last Shout is one of them. But hey, you know me - if I find something AbFab I haven't got yet, I'll buy it.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Is the hunting one the one where Patsy ends up with the bird in her hair? It's one of the best stories all the way around--less cruel humour.

Yes, that's the one - genius, isn't it? It's so funny to see two ''grown-up'' women going out of their minds because of a little pheasant, haha. ''It wouldn't flush'', haha!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:36

Mara wrote:Haha, thanks. I don't think there's any other show I've seen as often as I've seen AbFab - together with Philippa, I think we'd be able to literally write down most of the scripts. :blush:

Not only could we do it, but we have, on several occasions :blush:

And I know you're not very fond of The Last Shout, but I am. When I first saw it, I absolutely loved it! It's different from the regular episodes, but it has some hilarious and priceless scenes. It's definitely worth watching in my opinion :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:41

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I sometimes feel like, if you gave me a bowler, a bobbed wig, and a pair of flares, I could act out most of the TNA triumvirate's exchanges. You know you've seen a show too many times when....

That can be arranged. Make sure you bring a camera too. :whistle: I'm a big fan of quoting comedy, but not many often understand what I'm drivelling on about, unfortunately. (that's why lunch with Philippa is always so good, haha)

The scary thing is, I'd probably do a better job of Gambit than Purdey (well, I do wear flares. :lmao: ). I can only imagine what your AbFab lunches are like--dinner and entertainment! :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:47

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Mara wrote:

The scary thing is, I'd probably do a better job of Gambit than Purdey (well, I do wear flares. :lmao: ). I can only imagine what your AbFab lunches are like--dinner and entertainment! :wink:

It involves wine too :lmao:
We would invite you to come along, if only you didn't live so far away :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:48

Philippa wrote:Not only could we do it, but we have, on several occasions :blush:

Oh yes, that too, hihi. And yet, we still haven't really watched full episodes together. We should turn off the sound and see how far we can come, haha.

I don't regret buying the Last Shout at all, and appreciate more than I did before I think. It's just one of the very few AbFab episodes I haven't seen over ten times, haha.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The scary thing is, I'd probably do a better job of Gambit than Purdey.

For some silly reason, that kinda reminds me of Joanna playing Steed on the Friday Night Project. Brilliant!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can only imagine what your AbFab lunches are like--dinner and entertainment!

Oh, absolutely. And yes, there is always the wine, haha. I really love our lunches, especially when there's a sandwich called ''Chicken Tikka'' on the menu. :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:52

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The scary thing is, I'd probably do a better job of Gambit than Purdey (well, I do wear flares. :lmao: ). I can only imagine what your AbFab lunches are like--dinner and entertainment! :wink:

It involves wine too :lmao:
We would invite you to come along, if only you didn't live so far away :lol:

Oh, dear, and wine, too? You've never been kicked out of a restaurant for falling across the table next-door while trying to light a cigarette, have you? Gotten a little too much in character. :lmao:

I'd love to come, but it's a rather long commute. And since there are approximately 9 timezones between us, you'd end up with one jetlagged Canadian passed out in her salad. No liquor required! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:55

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The scary thing is, I'd probably do a better job of Gambit than Purdey.

For some silly reason, that kinda reminds me of Joanna playing Steed on the Friday Night Project. Brilliant!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I can only imagine what your AbFab lunches are like--dinner and entertainment!

Oh, absolutely. And yes, there is always the wine, haha. I really love our lunches, especially when there's a sandwich called ''Chicken Tikka'' on the menu. :lmao:

Y'know, when I saw Joanna as Steed, I thought "Yes! Forget Ralph Fiennes! They should hire her!" She actually did a pretty darn good job. I think she could pull it off. :yes:

Not the Chicken Tikka! :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Oct 2009, 20:58

Re: Bugger bugger bollocks (the AbFab schmoozin' thread)

They should do a remake of the Avengers movie. Lose the teddybears and cast Joanna as Steed :lmao:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 21:01

Philippa wrote:They should do a remake of the Avengers movie. Lose the teddybears and cast Joanna as Steed :lmao:

I'd go see it! If they had Gareth in there as well I'd be happier than Patsy with a bottle of Bolly. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Oct 2009, 21:05

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'd go see it! If they had Gareth in there as well I'd be happier than Patsy with a bottle of Bolly.

Haha! But then there is the problem of the female leading character - who would play her? I'd be a bit strange to cast Diana Rigg right? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Oct 2009, 21:15

How about Jennifer :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Oct 2009, 21:18

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'd go see it! If they had Gareth in there as well I'd be happier than Patsy with a bottle of Bolly.

Haha! But then there is the problem of the female leading character - who would play her? I'd be a bit strange to cast Diana Rigg right? :lol:

Hmm, do you need a girl if you have Gambit? The Avengers was always about swapping gender roles... :whistle:

Or if that's too scary, think Linda would come back? :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Dec 2009, 23:30

Now that there will be no more Jam and Jerusalem, I feel sort of empty. As Edina would say, all Jennifer's walls have gone flop, flop, flop and the only possibility of a comeback of one of her shows is AbFab. Since Joanna is still up for it, I've started thinking of how great it'd be to have a series 6. :blush: Y'know, just wishful thinking. I want this to happen! *throws tantrum*
<<

lauraa

Target

Post 02 Dec 2009, 16:44

:lol: You never know, she may write another one! But I think a AbFab special would be more likely, and as much as I love Eddie and Patsy I would personally want Mrs M, Saffy and Bubbles included in it :)
And as long as its not like White Box - watched it for the first time on Saturday and I was really disapointed. I didnt like the marriage between John + Saffy because it made me feel really sorry for her :(
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jan 2010, 17:05

lauraa wrote::lol: You never know, she may write another one! But I think a AbFab special would be more likely, and as much as I love Eddie and Patsy I would personally want Mrs M, Saffy and Bubbles included in it :)

Of course! The series wouldn't work without Saffy's disapproval of everything her mother does, Bubble's ridiculous outfits and lines and Gran's wicked sense of humour. The only special Jennifer and Joanna didn't do the series much justice I must say. But to be quite honest, I'd watch anything both ladies are in - I still think it'd be a great idea to give them a chat show, but hey, that's me. :lolol:
<<

Georgia

Donkey

Post 04 Jan 2010, 21:57

White Box never bothered me that much...I guess I'm always just happy to see our girls doing what I love so much. Still, I was never thrilled with the ending when they were living in Jeremy's and suddenly the house had always belonged to Saffy. I just didn't get that. I know Jennifer has never been much on continuity but I think all that was a bit of a stretch, even for her. Its a very good reason to do another series or special...just to clear a few of those things up.
Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous