Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Charities Joanna supports

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 20 Jan 2011, 10:37

Charities Joanna supports

Since these charities obviously mean a lot to her so I thought it would be nice to open up a topic for news updates and info.

Apparently Jo had designed a bra for that will go up for auction to raise money for Pink Ribbon! The bra isn't up for auction yet but here's a preview already: http://celebrities.glam.co.uk/articles/ ... 2541312647

I like to think she did this with Jennifer in her mind. :wub:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Jan 2011, 11:17

Re: Charities Joanna supports

Good idea to open a new topic.

Where did you find Joanna's creation? I'm blind right now...
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Jan 2011, 12:29

LunaFive wrote:Where did you find Joanna's creation? I'm blind right now...

It isn't up yet, I just posted it so we can keep an eye on this website. :wink:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Jan 2011, 12:53

Maartje wrote:
LunaFive wrote:Where did you find Joanna's creation? I'm blind right now...

It isn't up yet, I just posted it so we can keep an eye on this website. :wink:

Okay, I'm not blind, I'm sooo relieved :lmao:

We definately should keep an eye on that page :wink:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Jan 2011, 23:18

Free Tibet, Born Free, Gurkha Justice, National Doodle....
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 22 Jan 2011, 15:54

Thank you, your right Mara she did. :wub:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2011, 11:43

the bra auction is on now!

sorry, I can't get the bigger imagine in here, you'll have to click on the Auction page
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Feb 2011, 13:16

Cool! We must make sure we'll spread the news by posting this on the forum's Twitter page too. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Feb 2011, 09:07

Another chance to meet Joanna if you're in London on March 3rd and have enough money for a ticket:

Joanna Lumley To Save Wild Tigers At Celebrity Charity Gala
Joanna Lumley's charity work and causes

Born Free Foundation, Environmental Investigation Agency, WildAid
Causes

Animals, Environment, Conservation

February 18, 2011

As few as 3,200 tigers survive in the wild today. That’s why wild tigers need all the friends they can get, and on March 3, 2011 celebrities, conservation leaders and campaigners will attend an exclusive Gala Night in London to raise funds for this critically endangered species.

Showing their support for tigers at the Gala will be stars including Joanna Lumley, Bill Oddie, Jimmy Greaves, Ronni Ancona and Alistair McGowan, Jimmy Choo, TV chef Ching-He Huang, Virginia McKenna and Will Travers, Donal MacIntyre, Liz Bonnin and Steve Backshall.

The event, at the prestigious Mandarin Oriental Hotel, is the first major fundraiser for Save Wild Tigers, a partnership comprising the Born Free Foundation, the Environmental Investigation Agency (EIA) and WildAid. The event has been created and promoted by The Clinton Partnership, which has donated all its services.

“The fact that tigers continue to become more and more endangered is an indication that the world isn’t as civilized as it thinks it is or as it should be,” said Bill Oddie. “The dire plight of the tiger is a symbol of humanity’s ignorance.”

The exclusive event will begin with a blessing by monks from London’s Buddhist Society. Other highlights include the unique dancing spectacle King of the Forest, rarely performed and specially prepared for the occasion by famed Balinese dancer/choreographer Ni Madé Pujawati and Indian dancer/choreographer Gauri Sharma Tripathi. There will also be a traditional Chinese Lion Dance and music from a Thai orchestra to complement what promises to be an extraordinary evening.

Adding a note of competitive fun – and to raise funds for the tiger protection work of the three charities – an auction with guest auctioneer Nicholas Parsons will give guests the chance to bid on lots including a chance-in-a-lifetime tiger-watching safari in India, a week’s stay at The Estates at Pangkor Laut in Malaysia, Air Asia flights to Kuala Lumpur, dinner at Michelin star restaurant Texture, a foraging day and dinner with Master Chef winner Matt Follas, a one-day cookery class at award-winning food school Thyme, dinner at world-renowned chef Daniel Boulud’s newest restaurant Bar Boulud, a tiger sculpture by Laura Lian and a week’s stay in Samara’s flagship lodge in South Africa.

Save Wild Tigers was formed in the aftermath of the St Petersburg International Tiger Forum convened by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin in November last year. With funding sources under pressure, Born Free, EIA and WildAid saw the value in pooling their resources to generate funds collectively to help ensure the Forum’s words were turned into action.

The monies raised by the Tiger Gala will be used for a variety of different and complementary tiger conservation activities, captured in the Save Wild Tiger partnership’s Mission Statement:

“No one can save the world’s wild tigers … on their own!

“That’s why three international organisations have joined forces and are working together to end the tiger trade and protect wild tigers. The Born Free Foundation’s field projects engage communities to help secure vital tiger habitat and keep wildlife in the wild; EIA’s investigations protect the environment with intelligence by exposing the criminal networks that exploit the tiger trade to such deadly effect; WildAid’s innovative demand–reduction programmes target consumers so that when the buying stops the killing can too.

“From Vladimir Putin to Leonardo DiCaprio and Joanna Lumley, everyone’s talking tigers! But when money’s tight, it’s critical to make sure you support effective, credible organisations that can turn words into action. Support Save Wild Tigers and make a difference today!"

You can join the stars on March 3; tickets priced £250 are selling fast and available here.

Read more: http://www.looktothestars.org/news/5820 ... z1EZwH3s6G

Here's the link: Look to the Stars
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Apr 2011, 09:43

Joanna has been on a Jewish fundraiser, I found an article here

It has also 3 pictures in it, Joanna looks very very skinny too me, I wish, she would have gained a lot more weight by now, but that's just MHO. sorry, but I cannot copy the photos in here :huh:

Joanna Lumley fielded questions at a Manchester charity event last night.

The Absolutely Fabulous star was interviewed on stage by radio presenter Nicky Campbell at a dinner to raise money for the Federation of Jewish Services.

She was quizzed by some of the 600 guests at the Sheridan Suite on Oldham Road, including a handful of Coronation Street actors.

Chief executive Karen Phillips said: “Joanna’s a charismatic and entertaining character with a charitable perspective on life and a commitment to important causes.

“We just thought she would be absolutely fabulous for our event.”

The dinner was part of a £1m fundraising drive for the charity which provides a range of social services including end-of-life support and child care.

Guests were played a moving appeal video of a woman who lost her sight during pregnancy and has never seen her baby.

Ms Phillips added: “The people we help are everyone from those who have absolutely nothing through to people who though they would never have to turn to a charity.”
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 18 Apr 2011, 13:17

Thank you, Joanna look's amazing !!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 23 Apr 2011, 08:58

Thanks for posting Britta! I think Joanna looks fabulous too, but I agree, she''s still very very skinny..

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Apr 2011, 10:52

Thanks Britta! I agree, she looks lovely but still rather skinny indeed. Gorgeous dress she's wearing though. :yes:
<<

joannafrenchfan

Target

Post 17 Aug 2011, 07:05

I've just learned that Joanna is involved in the Drawn to Darfur project; her drawing "The Goatherd" will be auctioned off this coming September! ^^
http://www.spoonfed.co.uk/spooners/spoonfed-arts-team-8139/cliff-richard-david-cameron-rolf-harris-and-the-pope-join-forces-for-drawn-to-darfur-5686/
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Aug 2011, 11:42

Thank you very much, great find! I hope she'll raise a lot of money with this! :thumb:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 17 Aug 2011, 15:09

Thank you!
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 18 Aug 2011, 02:13

She's such a great drawer!
<<

joannafrenchfan

Target

Post 18 Aug 2011, 08:16

Becky wrote:She's such a great drawer!

I agree with you :thumb: I watched her documentary on giraffes yesterday and they showed her drawing on camera -- I thought it was really good!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Aug 2011, 08:56

Becky wrote:She's such a great drawer!

She is and I think she should publish them. She could do the illustrations to a children's book or perhaps even write her own. Did you also see the drawing of that cottage that she made in the Nothern Lights doco? Amazing. :yes:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Aug 2011, 10:48

I also remember her drawing from "Girl Friday". Maybe we'll get lucky and see some of her work in her new book. :hearteyes:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 18 Aug 2011, 18:00

What a great project, I'm sure Joanna's drawing will raise a lot of money! :yes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 01 Nov 2011, 19:22

Just heard on Radio 2 that Joanna donated a hat for "Woolly Hat Day" in aid of St. Mungo's Charity. The hat she donated is the one she used while filming the Greek documentary. It's up on ebay, complete with a note signed "with love from a hat freak." :thumb:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ws/eBayISAPI. ... 0762132152

Charity site:

http://www.auctionforacause.co.uk/clien ... ut-Me.html
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Nov 2011, 23:48

Hihi, I love how she wrote a big cross through 'with compliments' and changed it to 'with love'. :lol: I'm not really a hat person myself but I like this one. What does the button say?
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Nov 2011, 06:45

Mara wrote:Hihi, I love how she wrote a big cross through 'with compliments' and changed it to 'with love'. :lol: I'm not really a hat person myself but I like this one. What does the button say?

That's really lovely, I think it's nice that she does that for charity. I am still thinking of giving her back her gloves when I will travel to London (the ones I won in an auction last year), but I'm not sure...

the button says "I love the Major" :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Nov 2011, 20:17

Yup, there's another doodle up on Ebay for charity: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Absolutely-Fa ... 1e68250dcc

Sexy lips! :hearteyes:
Next

Return to Joanna discussion