Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Class Act: why is it so underrated?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Feb 2012, 01:08

Class Act: why is it so underrated?

Although the people who remember it from the old days look back on it fondly, I've always felt CA never got as much credit as it deserved. It's mission impossible to find some background material (photos, interviews, ect.) and it didn't get much coverage in neither of Jo's autobiographies either. So why the lack of attention? (it took the producers a hell of a long time to release a proper box set...)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 01 Feb 2012, 01:56

Re: Class Act: why is it so underrated?

It's true--just a few publicity photos and that press pack I got a few years back. That's all I've ever found for publicity/merchandise. It had Joanna as a star, Verity Lambert as a producer, and a theme song by Roxy Music member Andy McKay. Apparently it had good ratings too. All I can think of was that a) perhaps it didn't have the budget to be really heavily-promoted, b) it didn't get a lot in the way of reruns, so once it was gone, people forgot about it, and no one new could discover it, or c) the fact that AbFab was gearing up around the same time meant it sort of got lost in the shuffle. The last one is the one I tend to think of, but I honestly don't know what the deal was. Maybe because there were so few episodes? :unsure:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Feb 2012, 10:12

I don't think the number of episodes have much to do with it, to be honest. It's quite normal for British shows to only have about 6 or 7 episode per series. But I do think that it wasn't promoted enough, and also that it might've been overshadowed by the immense success of AbFab at the time. I keep repeating this, but it is a real shame. I'm just glad that it even got a DVD release, which doesn't always happen to older series when they're not considered to be that popular or well known.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Feb 2012, 14:08

Philippa wrote:I don't think the number of episodes have much to do with it, to be honest. It's quite normal for British shows to only have about 6 or 7 episode per series. But I do think that it wasn't promoted enough, and also that it might've been overshadowed by the immense success of AbFab at the time. I keep repeating this, but it is a real shame. I'm just glad that it even got a DVD release, which doesn't always happen to older series when they're not considered to be that popular or well known.

I wasn't meaning the number of episodes per season so much as the number in total. 14 in two years versus 38 for AbFab over 20 years--the screen presence just wasn't as major. Again, I wonder if it's ever been rerun since its original broadcast--that would make it hard for other people to catch it, or for original viewers to remember and rewatch it.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Feb 2012, 18:41

Yes, I agree that it must have had something to do with AbFab airing around the same time. :yes: The marketing for AbFab wasn't brilliant at the time, but at least the producers successfully released it in the US as well - with CA, that would never have worked. Was it ever even broadcast outside the UK? I was a kid in the nineties, so I have no idea if it ever made it to the Dutch TV channels but it would be interesting to know.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Feb 2012, 18:58

Mara wrote:Yes, I agree that it must have had something to do with AbFab airing around the same time. :yes: The marketing for AbFab wasn't brilliant at the time, but at least the producers successfully released it in the US as well - with CA, that would never have worked. Was it ever even broadcast outside the UK? I was a kid in the nineties, so I have no idea if it ever made it to the Dutch TV channels but it would be interesting to know.

I don't know what the international distribution was like--if it never aired outside the UK, that would also explain why it wasn't so widely known. :huh:

Return to Class Act