Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Did you know...

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:30

Did you know...

I opened this topic on the Jennifer forum a while ago, as I'd seen many interviews by both Joanna and Jennifer, and found out about some nice facts.

* Both Julia Sawalha (Saffy) as Joanna told they'd asked their agents to get them out of the series after the first pilot episode? Julia said she didn't know what she was doing at all, and Joanna commented she really didn't understand what Jennifer wanted.

* It was Deborah Harry (Blondie) who sang the theme song for series 5 with Ade Edmondson? (Jennifer's husband)

* They've had some familiar faces on the set? Not only Jen's comedy partner Dawn French appeared but also Ade Edmondson, both in the same episode? (Magazine, series 1) Also Ruby Wax (who worked on the script, but had been involved in an eighties comedy show with Jen and Dawn before that) appeared in series 4, in Menopause. (I'd never noticed that until I paid attention to the credits!)
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:37

Re: Did you know...

Yeah it's great what you can discover when you pay attention to the details, for instance references to other people or shows, and when you read the credits you notice that certain people end up working together all the time. They use the same directors and producers on various shows, and like to use the same guest stars. It's great :d

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jun 2009, 12:47

Yes, that is certainly true. A couple of guest stars who have appeared on F&S could be seen in AbFab later on, like for instance Lulu. (of whom, I'd never heard of before AbFab actually) :lol:

Random observation in series 3, Happy New Year: when Jen ''skates'' to the corner of the kitchen where Jo stands (and grabs herself to the cupboard) something happens to fall of the wall: I don't know what it is, but it probably wasn't supposed to fall.

Jennifer did - of course - alll the falling over herself, as that was part of the fun, according to herself. To make it less painful for her, they sometimes adapted the set, and you can clearly see that in Birthday (series 1). A small, white plank is put over the steps of the stairs, to make sure Jennifer wouldn't hurt herself too badly.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Apr 2010, 10:37

I just remembered this:

cap1.jpg

It's a bit of a blurry cap (Youtube, too lazy to get my DVDs out) but the guy standing behind Jennifer and Joanna and who is serving them wine, is Jon Plowman, the executive producer of AbFab. (and various other French and Saunders related productions)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Apr 2010, 10:51

And so it is! I thought it was when I first watched this ep. He's also the theatre usher in 'Small Opening.'
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Apr 2010, 10:58

Laura wrote:And so it is! I thought it was when I first watched this ep. He's also the theatre usher in 'Small Opening.'

Haha yes, he is. I suppose they thought it'd be unnecessary to get any more extras in. :lol:

* I really didn't know about this, but Jane Horrocks (Bubble/Katy Grin) tells in the Story of AbFab that she auditioned for the part of Saffy at first. Jennifer commented she was wrong for Saffy, but nice for Bubble.

* It was Ade Edmondson (Jennife'rs husband, The Young Ones, Bottom) whom made Jennifer aware of Joanna. Jo at the time did a bit of presenting in 1991 for Wogan. According to herself she said that 'her career had just slipped towards zero', when Ade came up with the fabulous idea to 'use her' to which Jennifer responded with 'alright'.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 19 Apr 2010, 18:39

Mara wrote:I just remembered this:

cap1.jpg

It's a bit of a blurry cap (Youtube, too lazy to get my DVDs out) but the guy standing behind Jennifer and Joanna and who is serving them wine, is Jon Plowman, the executive producer of AbFab. (and various other French and Saunders related productions)

I only just noticed that the very last time that I watched that on Dvd. :grin: :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Apr 2010, 18:49

One more then: did you know that all the regular cast members differ from age with about 10-15 years? The youngest in row is Jane , followed by Julia, Jennifer, Joanna and June. So Julia is in fact only ten years younger then Jennifer, and yet she did player her daughter in the series.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Apr 2010, 19:40

Jane is the youngest?! Wow, I thought Julia was :lol: You learn something new every day!

(Where are you getting all these gloriously wonderful facts from Mara? :grin:)
<<

lexxilee

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 19 Apr 2010, 23:44

Ruby Wax was also in Season 3, The End, and worked on the magazine In the US with Patsy and also Kathy Burke!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Apr 2010, 15:13

:grin: Love Ruby! I'll rack my brain for some trivia.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Apr 2010, 16:25

Laura wrote:(Where are you getting all these gloriously wonderful facts from Mara? :grin:)

Interviews in magazines, biographies, filmed interviews... Because I love AbFab so much, my brain seems to suck trivia up like a sponge, haha.

* Joanna did her own make-up for the show? I don't exactly know during what series, but she said so. Professionals did her beehive though.

* Obvious one, but nearly all the names of the cast members start with the same letter: Julia, Jennifer, Joanna, Jane and June. On the Light Lunch interview (that was taped before series 4 aired), June said that if Edina's son were to appear, his name would have to start with a J as well and it did. (Serge's real name is Josh)

* Did you notice that Saffy's boyfriend Danny in series 3 is actual fact played by James Lance, who played the part of Joanna's son in Sensitive Skin?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Apr 2010, 16:53

I love how Jo did her own make-up, probably one of my favorite facts :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Apr 2010, 17:42

Laura wrote:I love how Jo did her own make-up, probably one of my favorite facts :grin:

Yes, she's always loved messing about with her own makeup, so Jan Sewell (who did the hair and makeup design on AbFab) let her do it herself. She used to do so in her modelling days as well and I must say she's rather good at it, even though Joanna nowadays admits she uses way too much eye makeup.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Apr 2010, 18:07

I think her 'look' is great- she sticks to colors which suit her palette- pale or gold eyeshadow, a bit of kohl + mascara and some lippy. Beautiful.

Maybe she should open 'The Joanna Lumley School of Make-Up and Hair Design?' I'm sure we would all want to enrol!! :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Apr 2010, 18:31

Laura wrote:I think her 'look' is great- she sticks to colors which suit her palette- pale or gold eyeshadow, a bit of kohl + mascara and some lippy. Beautiful.

Yes, but Patsy's look is a very different to Joanna's. It's basically even more layers of mascara, plus a bit of red lipstick which I think, has always suited Joanna very well.

Feel free to open up such a topic though!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Apr 2010, 19:16

Same, I think she has the coloring for it, and for the character of Patsy, it fitted perfectly.

Haha, a Jo make up thread?! :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Apr 2010, 13:36

Jo should so write a book on fashion and make-up and hair etc. That would be fabulous :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 22 Apr 2010, 15:47

^ ^ ^ ^ She should, now that would be ' Absolutely Fabulous ' :grin: :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 May 2010, 21:34

* I personally love how everyone who has ever worked on AbFab has said that Jennifer is always late with her scripts. Whether she's writing AbFab or French and Saunders, it's all last minute because she feels writing it up kills the joke and is pretty much her ''homework''.

* The version of Wheel's On Fire they used for the first three series has been sung by Julie Driscoll and Adrian Edmondson, who Jennifer is married to? He also made a guest appearance in series 3.

* The Ziggy Played Guitar Bit (taken from Bowie's song) was put into the tag scenes of all series 4 episodes? Jennifer only wanted to include it in Fish Farm, but before she knew it, they'd used it for all episodes. (with Bowie's permission)

* Dawn French is always credited for the show, because the original concept is based on a sketch they did years ago. When Dawn's personal problems got in the way of doing French and Saunders, Jennifer figured she could turn the sketch into a series and showed the script for the pilot to Jon Plowman. (their executive producer)

Some of these you might already know, some perhaps not. I'll try to think of more soon...
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 15 Jul 2010, 09:01

I think I have got this right but they won these awards at the British comedy Awards.

1993 ~ Best new TV comedy: Absolutely Fabulous
1993 ~ Best comedy actress: Joanna Lumley (Absolutely Fabulous)
1993 ~ Top TV personality: Joanna Lumley
1993 ~ Top female performer: Jennifer Saunders and Dawn French

1997 ~ Best TV comedy actress: Dawn French (Vicar of Dibley)

2000 ~ Best Of British: The Vicar of Dibley

2004 ~ Outstanding achievement: Matt Groening, French and Saunders

I know they are not all Ab Fab sorry but I thought that I would add them in, hope that is ok. :happy: :happy:
<<

Philippa

Post 15 Jul 2010, 13:09

That's more than ok Becka! It's nice to have their winnings listed all together for once :happy:

<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 15 Jul 2010, 13:46

It's ok, I hope that I have got them right. :lolol: :hug:

Return to Absolutely Fabulous