Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Did you know...? TNA Trivia

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Apr 2010, 22:34

Re: Did you know...? TNA Trivia

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Diana's legs and profile are very distinct, too--her body (not stunt) double looked nothing like her on either front. I know Diana's movements as well as Joanna's--she carried herself in a unique way, too, so it's hard to copy her.

I guess I just haven't watched Diana both long and closely enough to be able to tell the differences, apart from those very few moments where the stunt were filmed in close-up. Thank you for uploading that article on Cyd by the way - very interesting! It's nice to hear both Diana and Joanna were just lovely on set, such a shame she didn't get along with Linda that well. If you ask me, it was a bit foolish of her to insist on doing the stunts herself, it would have been far too dangerous. I sometimes wonder how on earth they let Joanna do all those things - hiring stunt people costs money, but the risks they were willing to take... Ridiculous.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 22 Apr 2010, 01:52

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Diana's legs and profile are very distinct, too--her body (not stunt) double looked nothing like her on either front. I know Diana's movements as well as Joanna's--she carried herself in a unique way, too, so it's hard to copy her.

I guess I just haven't watched Diana both long and closely enough to be able to tell the differences, apart from those very few moments where the stunt were filmed in close-up. Thank you for uploading that article on Cyd by the way - very interesting! It's nice to hear both Diana and Joanna were just lovely on set, such a shame she didn't get along with Linda that well. If you ask me, it was a bit foolish of her to insist on doing the stunts herself, it would have been far too dangerous. I sometimes wonder how on earth they let Joanna do all those things - hiring stunt people costs money, but the risks they were willing to take... Ridiculous.

Yeah, I've seen the Emma episodes just as much or more than TNA (they were all I had for Avengers for a few years there). So yes, I know her legs, and I can tell when it's not her.

Glad you enjoyed the article! It's one of my favourites, because Cyd has a completely fresh perspective on the show and its cast. Linda eventually figured out that she shouldn't be doing the stunts, at least, and it sounds like things were smoothed over. They really were often quite risky, and there were qualms about Gareth and Joanna doing what they did, because they were uninsured and if they broke a leg they would have lost everything. But on the flip side they wanted to save every penny they could with the funding issues, and Gareth and Joanna were, as Gareth put it, "young and stupid," and really keen to do as much as they could. They felt left out whenever they had to stand there and watch someone else do stuff for them, so they wanted to be involved, risk or not. But Gareth stated more than once that they did stuff they never should have, and I think they both paid for it with their bodies later on. But it's hard to put down your stars when they're so game for it.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Apr 2010, 09:28

Yes, it is lovely! You can't blame her of course, but Joanna did tend to tell the same stories over and over again, partly because she was always asked the same questions. (like she still is today, in actual fact) Cyd's saw it all and as the girls were very much depending on her, you get some behind the scenes information that is hugely interesting. I thought it was lovely to read she could get along with Joanna so well, and that both she and Gareth put all their energy into getting fit and slim for the show. It was her first, real acting job after all, so she might have felt like she had to prove herself. They were lucky to get off with limited body damage later on in their lives though.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 15:58

I watched Sleeper very closely last night, and if you squint, you can see in that car scene that it was Cyd bashing through the glass :lol:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 18:15

Mara wrote:Yes, it is lovely! You can't blame her of course, but Joanna did tend to tell the same stories over and over again, partly because she was always asked the same questions. (like she still is today, in actual fact) Cyd's saw it all and as the girls were very much depending on her, you get some behind the scenes information that is hugely interesting. I thought it was lovely to read she could get along with Joanna so well, and that both she and Gareth put all their energy into getting fit and slim for the show. It was her first, real acting job after all, so she might have felt like she had to prove herself. They were lucky to get off with limited body damage later on in their lives though.

Joanna is actually one of the better Avengers actors in terms of bringing up new TNA anecdotes in interviews (better than Honor or Diana, for example). Both her and Gareth came up with a lot of fresh insights, probably because they did so many stunts. The problem is few people give Joanna a chance to say much beyond "Yes, I did stunts and had a bobbed cut," before they rush her along. But whenever you can get a fresh take from someone else, it's welcome, and Cyd is incredibly detailed about her time on the show. She loved both Gareth and Joanna, even though she pretty much tortured them in that gym in Pinewood. :lol: They were both so very keen to get it right--they were lucky to pick two people who were so willing to put their bodies on the line, even if they paid for it a little. Part of them probably knew they'd never have a chance to do stuff like that again, and thought "All right, let's just go for it." I'm so glad they did--knowing that's really them, seeing them do it, makes TNA that much more authentic and visceral.
Laura wrote:I watched Sleeper very closely last night, and if you squint, you can see in that car scene that it was Cyd bashing through the glass :lol:

Yeah, she doesn't look quite right, does she? But the likeness is so close that you'd never guess. I wince a bit now because I know Cyd gashed herself in the process. :shock:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 19:24

Yea, her hair looks mega thick compared to Jo's. Nevertheless, I shall pretend that it is Jo anyway!! haha
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 19:37

Laura wrote:Yea, her hair looks mega thick compared to Jo's. Nevertheless, I shall pretend that it is Jo anyway!! haha

It's a wig, so it probably doesn't sit on her head quite right. But it looks close enough I can pretend it's Purdey. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 19:53

:grin: Indeed! I love that ep, one of my top faves.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 20:17

Laura wrote::grin: Indeed! I love that ep, one of my top faves.

It's a fan favourite, though there are quite a few season one stories I'd rate above it. One thing it does have that I adore? The Purdey/Gambit kiss, the only genuine liplock in Avengerland. That's worth it right there. :wub:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 20:30

Haha, yes I thought you might say that! :wink:

Was most of that episode filmed on location, or were some of the streets filmed in the studio?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 20:50

Laura wrote:Haha, yes I thought you might say that! :wink:

Was most of that episode filmed on location, or were some of the streets filmed in the studio?

Surprisingly enough, Sleeper was shot 100% on location (except, of course, for the scenes in Purdey and Gambit's flats, which utilise the usual sets). But no, all the streets and everything else were genuine. I don't know how they managed to get them so deserted, but I suppose shutting stuff down for filming fixes that. I have a book that lists all the shooting locations, and there's also a site about that sort of thing. I remember reading that, strictly speaking, shooting Gareth and Patrick in the Post Office Tower violated the Official Secrets Act because the building was still on that list at the time. Whoopsie. :lol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 20:59

Whoops, but still, its TNA so its allowed! Oh would you be able to post the link to the site, or perhaps some of the locations? I'd love to find out more about them :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 21:02

Laura wrote:Whoops, but still, its TNA so its allowed! Oh would you be able to post the link to the site, or perhaps some of the locations? I'd love to find out more about them :happy:

Yep, it's Tony McKay's site. He's been documenting cult TV locations for years. So many were reused, especially in the sixties when everything was shooting at Elstree. His TNA stuff is here:

http://avengerland.theavengers.tv/newaveng.htm

There's a whole whack of locations listed for Sleeper, so that could keep you busy for awhile. So many of them you can still go to--Philippa and Maartje did. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Apr 2010, 21:10

Fab, I'll check that out. If you find anything else, please let us know! :grin:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2010, 21:35

Laura wrote:Fab, I'll check that out. If you find anything else, please let us know! :grin:

What, trivia or location-wise? Rest assured, I've always got my eyes open. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Apr 2010, 09:42

Haha both :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Apr 2010, 18:14

Laura wrote:Haha both :wink:

Pretty much a given where I'm concerned. :lol: Will do. :thumb:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Apr 2010, 18:20

Thanks babe :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 May 2010, 20:57

A couple more pieces this Thursday.

Laurie Johnson "heard" the theme to TNA in his head on his way downstairs from his Pinewood Studios office for lunch. He went back upstairs, wrote it, and fifteen minutes later was eating his lunch downstairs. Laurie also wrote a whopping 650 pieces of individual music for TNA, comprising a running time of thirteen hours, not including the theme, which ran over two minutes when played in full.

Purdey's MGB, used in the first series (later she got a TR7), was notoriously always being taken away by British Leyland, but when it was around, it didn't work very well--it kept stopping. In order to make it drive, a mechanic had to lie on the floor by Joanna's feet and do whatever needed to be done. So whenever you see Purdey driving around in her MG, there's a chance she's not alone. :lmao:

TNA was also meant to have a total of 30 episodes. Some of the extra four would probably have been shot in France if the funding hadn't dried up. When it did, there were plans to shoot more in Canada, and they actually got as far as thinking up a couple of extra plots before things collapsed. One would have involved a Toronto Star van that had a mind of its own and drove around. Another would have sent Purdey and Gambit over Niagara Falls. In a barrel, naturally. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 May 2010, 21:13

I knew about the trouble they had with British Leyland because Joanna mentioned it on Top Gear once, but it's still a pretty odd thought two people were driving that car at the same time. :lmao: Thanks for sharing - this trivia is priceless.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 May 2010, 21:22

Mara wrote:I knew about the trouble they had with British Leyland because Joanna mentioned it on Top Gear once, but it's still a pretty odd thought two people were driving that car at the same time. :lmao: Thanks for sharing - this trivia is priceless.

Especially when one's lying on the floor. You hope that he couldn't see up her skirt, don't you? :lmao: British Leyland really let them down on so many levels--you know they had two of Gambit's Jaguars, right? Because the electrics were so faulty in them that they needed them to back-up each other in case one went kaput. Apparently you can tell which one's being used at any given time because one has a dent in the side and the other doesn't. I haven't been able to spot it myself, but they really gave them some beaters didn't they? Looked pretty, though. :lol:

I picked a lot of this stuff up from Laurie's wonderful autobiography, Noises in the Head. It really is a great read, even the bits not about the Avengers/TNA. Laurie tells you so much about the writing process and how his brain just spontaneously comes up with stuff. It's fascinating. He also adores Gareth and Joanna, so that's another point going for him. :thumb:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 May 2010, 11:07

Wow, such interesting news about the music. I wonder if there is a big reel of the tracks hanging around somewhere? I can't believe about the driving, it always looks so real on the screen!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 May 2010, 11:17

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Especially when one's lying on the floor. You hope that he couldn't see up her skirt, don't you? :lmao:

Must have been comfy driving for Jo in her TNA days. She was either pushed in the back of Steed's car (like ''a nodding dog'') or she had someone lying on the floor of her car whilst driving. It must have been a relief when they were shooting AbFab, as Jennifer did all the driving for that series. :lmao:

I have to say - I never once noticed Gambit had two cars instead of just the one Jaguar. I'm not a huge car-fanatic so I don't usually pay attention to them anyway, but it's pretty sad that British Leyland gave one of the most successful British series of that time such lousy stuff.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 May 2010, 12:23

Yep, as Purdey, her driving looks fab. Always super fast! Wouldn't it have been great to see Patsy drive a car, sports or Smart!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 May 2010, 12:41

Laura wrote:Yep, as Purdey, her driving looks fab. Always super fast! Wouldn't it have been great to see Patsy drive a car, sports or Smart!

Either Eddie drives for her or she gets a cab. You have to be sober to drive which Pats never isn't'. :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers