Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Did you know...? TNA Trivia

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 May 2010, 12:53

Re: Did you know...? TNA Trivia

haha very true! :grin:
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 May 2010, 17:33

Laura wrote:Wow, such interesting news about the music. I wonder if there is a big reel of the tracks hanging around somewhere? I can't believe about the driving, it always looks so real on the screen!

Laurie released a TNA soundtrack a couple of years back, but there wasn't anywhere near 650 pieces of music on it. I think a lot of tracks may not exist anymore, sadly. :no:

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Especially when one's lying on the floor. You hope that he couldn't see up her skirt, don't you? :lmao:

Must have been comfy driving for Jo in her TNA days. She was either pushed in the back of Steed's car (like ''a nodding dog'') or she had someone lying on the floor of her car whilst driving. It must have been a relief when they were shooting AbFab, as Jennifer did all the driving for that series. :lmao:

I have to say - I never once noticed Gambit had two cars instead of just the one Jaguar. I'm not a huge car-fanatic so I don't usually pay attention to them anyway, but it's pretty sad that British Leyland gave one of the most successful British series of that time such lousy stuff.

I always wondered why Purdey was stuck either in the back of Steed's car, or, more commonly, chauffeured around by Gambit--a lot Purdey/Gambit dialogue scenes are while they're driving--and now I know it's because British Leyland took the car away in-between, and didn't always have it when they needed it back, so not much driving for Purdey. British Leyland really screwed around with the cars, from the faulty Jags to no MGB, which was sad, because they only went with them to try and be loyal to Britain. I never noticed the difference between the two Jags, either--they were exactly the same model, identical in every way, except for the dent, which I've never been able to spot. I've always loved Gambit's car, though--I like Jaguars overall, but even if it didn't work, it looked lovely onscreen.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 May 2010, 12:40

They couldn't have picked better cars for the Avengers than the Bentleys and Jags they brought on. They're absolutely beautiful cars and really classy too. Just a bit of a shame the were all rented and that they had to go to such trouble to use them on the sets. Indeed there is a lot of conversation going on whilst driving - ''let's go round again'' and Purdey casually eating her orange in Gambit's car spring to mind. Good stuff. :lol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 12:42

I loved Purdey's yellow car, flawless!

Aha yes, the orange scene- so funny!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 17:02

Mara wrote:They couldn't have picked better cars for the Avengers than the Bentleys and Jags they brought on. They're absolutely beautiful cars and really classy too. Just a bit of a shame the were all rented and that they had to go to such trouble to use them on the sets. Indeed there is a lot of conversation going on whilst driving - ''let's go round again'' and Purdey casually eating her orange in Gambit's car spring to mind. Good stuff. :lol:

All the cars chosen for the show were lovely and reflected the characters very well. Alas, even the original Avengers Bentleys had issues--they'd refuse to start, and they'd often have to push them into shot. In Patrick's This is Your Life, you can see Gareth is struggling to to get the darned thing to start. :lmao: But TNA had more trouble, certainly. But they're all gorgeous pieces of machinery, even if Joanna thought her car was a bit "girly." :lmao: I love the Range Rovers, the TR7, the MGB, and, most of all, Gambit's XJS (but as I said, I'm a Jag woman--I'm happy every time they feature one on TopGear :lol: ).

I'm starting to wonder now if the reason we had so many driving scenes between Purdey and Gambit was because they were trying to get around the car problems, and then they sort of ran with it because those scenes always sparkled so well. If that's true, then we have British Leyland to thank for screwing up. :lmao:

Laura wrote:I loved Purdey's yellow car, flawless!

Aha yes, the orange scene- so funny!

Both Purdey's cars were yellow, even though they were different models--maybe they thought we wouldn't notice? :lmao:

I love the orange scene, too--and the one where she gives him a marshmallow. Maybe she's trying to fatten him up. :lmao: The whole Midas Touch car chase is brilliant, though--the Walter Huston conversation cracks me up every time. But another favourite is House of Cards, one of the few times Purdey drives Gambit, and he keeps telling her to keep her eyes on the road. Priceless. :lolol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 17:34

^I love all of those! I also love the Midas Touch running scene- WOW.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 17:48

Laura wrote:^I love all of those! I also love the Midas Touch running scene- WOW.

Oh, the running is amazing. They just rocket around, don't they? Climbing fences, full on sprints, going up ladders, jumping--have you paid attention to the bit where Gareth goes through those pipes like a set of hurdles without slowing down? I always expect him to trip and do a face-plant, but he executes it beautifully with no cut-aways--rolling, shooting, kicking. All in impractical footwear and clothes. No doubles. No wires. Just Gareth and Joanna pushing themselves to the limit. It's a sight to behold. You have to give them credit for being able to do all that. And Gareth did all that driving, too! :squee:

(Isn't it also insane how fast they can run? Joanna could have been an Olympic sprinter the way she goes, but in Midas Gareth actually looks to be outrunning her. How is that possible? :hypnose: )
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 18:36

Gosh, I wish I could run like that. It's just fab. And there's no dialogue really in that scene to interrupt it all. Fab. I love these aspects of the series so much, it shows the dedication and hard work from the cast- you can see that they loved filming it!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 May 2010, 18:46

Laura wrote:Aha yes, the orange scene- so funny!

It's a bit of a continuity mistake though - you can clearly see that Purdey's window in the next shot (about 2 seconds later) is closed. But hey, the oranges made for a good scene so who am I to complain? :lol:

The car scenes in TNA certainly did work so perhaps they did put more of those in - who will tell? I think it's amazing what they managed to do in those babies anyway, especially Gareth with his handbrake turns and fast driving.

Philippa and I noticed Joanna's ability for fast running in Sleeper too yesterday - one shot, about half a mile on full speed. I'd have been exhausted, that, plus the simply fact that I wouldn't be able to climb a fence. :hypnose:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 18:50

Laura wrote:Gosh, I wish I could run like that. It's just fab. And there's no dialogue really in that scene to interrupt it all. Fab. I love these aspects of the series so much, it shows the dedication and hard work from the cast- you can see that they loved filming it!

I always imagine Brian Clemens seeing what they were doing in training and thinking "Right, let's make 'em run!" Poor kids. :lmao: But man could they run. And run. And run some more. Again, in clothes and shoes that really weren't made for it. I love that you can actually hear them panting over the soundtrack--it makes it so much more realistic. You can tell they put their heart andsoul into being able to do it for themselves. :yes: And it's true--there's next to no dialogue, except for that little bit where they argue over which way to go: "Left!" "Right!" "Left!" "Right!" Have you ever noticed they both go in the opposite direction they were arguing for? Classic Purdey and Gambit. :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 18:55

Mara wrote:
Laura wrote:Aha yes, the orange scene- so funny!

It's a bit of a continuity mistake though - you can clearly see that Purdey's window in the next shot (about 2 seconds later) is closed. But hey, the oranges made for a good scene so who am I to complain? :lol:

The car scenes in TNA certainly did work so perhaps they did put more of those in - who will tell? I think it's amazing what they managed to do in those babies anyway, especially Gareth with his handbrake urns and fast driving.

Philippa and I noticed Joanna's ability for fast running in Sleeper too yesterday - one shot, about half a mile on full speed. I'd have been exhausted, that, plus the simply fact that I wouldn't be able to climb a fence. :hypnose:

Yes, I've noticed that, too--there's no real way for her to get it. Windows mean nothing to Purdey. She wanted an orange, dammit, and she was going to get one, even if a few laws of physics and matter had to be broken in the process. :lmao:

So many classic Purdey/Gambit exchanges happen in the car, you can't help but think they decided to add more of them as the show went on. I love them because they're so ordinary--everyone talks in the car. The only difference is Purdey and Gambit talk about strange stuff, and drive around after scary people. :lol: Gareth's driving is amazing, especially, though, even though he claims he'd get confused and spin the car the right way--he figured it out in the end, it seems. :lol: Crank that handbrake. :hyper:

That Sleeper shot is probably one of Joanna's most notable running scenes--I have a small article where it's mentioned, and the journalist writes that it absolutely was done in one take--no cutting and splicing to make her seem like she went farther and faster than she did. That was all ger. Amazing, isn't it? :hypnose:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 18:59

I love Sleeper, top, top episode.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 May 2010, 19:03

She can't have hid the orange in the little cupboard under the dashboard: that one is already stuffed with marshmallows of course. :lolol:

Laura wrote:I love Sleeper, top, top episode.

Isn't it just? Philippa and I both agreed that it's great for Gambit/Steed teamwork, which you don't get to see very often. They're amazingly good fun to watch though - their little undercover moment as one of the victims is one of my favourite TNA moments: I love how Steed casually talks about the cricket scores. Very into character, great writing.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 19:12

Mara wrote:She can't have hid the orange in the little cupboard under the dashboard: that one is already stuffed with marshmallows of course. :lolol:

Laura wrote:I love Sleeper, top, top episode.

Isn't it just? Philippa and I both agreed that it's great for Gambit/Steed teamwork, which you don't get to see very often. They're amazingly good fun to watch though - their little undercover moment as one of the victims is one of my favourite TNA moments: I love how Steed casually talks about the cricket scores. Very into character, great writing.

Of course it is--poor Gambit went looking for his insurance one day, and it came out all sticky. :lmao:

Sleeper is often highlighted as a fan favourite, but I'm always slightly underwhelmed by it, even though it has so many great scenes--Purdey in the car with the radio on, losing her PJs in the store window, the Purdey/Gambit kiss, and, as you say, loads of Steed/Gambit teamwork which shows how good that partnership is and lets it shine. Watching them take out two of the baddies by pretending to be asleep (Gambit standing up--who sleeps standing up, Gambit dear? :lolol: ), and, of course the cricket scores. And the beer. Gotta love Gambit casually kicking that door open to get the beer. :lol: See, lots of great scenes when I really think about it. But when I think of the overall episode, I seem to picture all the quiet scenes with people running around in deserted streets. I think I need to see it again. :yes:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 19:38

^ Me too! I think a re-watch is in order later this evening.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 May 2010, 19:46

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Watching them take out two of the baddies by pretending to be asleep (Gambit standing up--who sleeps standing up, Gambit dear? :lolol: ), and, of course the cricket scores. And the beer. Gotta love Gambit casually kicking that door open to get the beer.

Gambit kicking the door - how could I forget? And Steed leaving a little tip for the better service of course, always a gentleman. Philippa was actually upset he drank his beer straight from the bottle though. :lmao:

Purdey's managing on her own just fine as well, in her little blue pajamas. I just adore this episode for so many things, Gambit/Steed partnership being one: Purdey kicking the assess of those baddies being the other.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 May 2010, 20:10

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Watching them take out two of the baddies by pretending to be asleep (Gambit standing up--who sleeps standing up, Gambit dear? :lolol: ), and, of course the cricket scores. And the beer. Gotta love Gambit casually kicking that door open to get the beer.

Gambit kicking the door - how could I forget? And Steed leaving a little tip for the better service of course, always a gentleman. Philippa was actually upset he drank his beer straight from the bottle though. :lmao:

Purdey's managing on her own just fine as well, in her little blue pajamas. I just adore this episode for so many things, Gambit/Steed partnership being one: Purdey kicking the assess of those baddies being the other.

Well, as Gambit said, it was an emergency. Desperate times... :lmao: Steed left a tip, so that's very Steedly and back on form.

Purdey does very well in her PJs, I agree--it's such a typically Purdey thing to do. Fight crime in comfort! :wink:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 May 2010, 20:16

Purdey is fab in this :grin: whoop ass to all those crims!!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Mar 2013, 14:15

I posted this on the Avengers forum, but I thought I'd repost it here as well, because I found some good tidbits. :grin:

I've been doing research (for something sadly as far from Avengers-related as can be, alas), and trawling rather a lot of newspaper articles as a result. Since I have access to all these lovely databases, I thought I'd do a quick search for some TNA Canada-era stuff given that it's Canadian newspapers I'm looking at, and I did actually manage to find a couple of things, including a nice little piece about Joanna filming that water scene in Complex, and a painful reminder that Gareth was doing a play in Toronto in 1991, and therefore was in the same country as me for a brief period of time (and narrowly missed being in the same province). Yes, it was 10 years before I knew who he was, and I was very young at the time, but it still feels like a near-miss, somehow.

There's actually a very brief, but quite interesting, little interview with him as part of the publicity, too, where he cites his first TV appearance and such, information that I don't think I've seen out there.

There's also a great little piece from a guy whose 12-year-old son somehow managed to swing getting to hang out on the TNA set for the day, watching Gareth juggle oranges and talk about hunting wild boars in Poland, and getting smiled at by Joanna and Patrick. I'm so jealous...

I also went and poked around the archive for the Times, and found a few other things. The best bits are a ongoing column Joanna wrote for the Times, which I'd heard about before but never read. It's called "Joanna Lumley's Diary", and basically she recounts several little anecdotes of whatever it is she's been up to that week--lots of Pink Panther publicity and such, given this is in the early '80s. Gareth pops up a couple times, once as her date to a restaurant opening, the second, a bit depressingly, when they run into each other at the osteopath's office. She goes on to explain that both of their bodies are wrecked from doing TNA, and that Patrick is actually bouncing around in better shape than both of them. This is in 1983, which makes Patrick 61, while Gareth is 41, and Joanna a whopping 37. I know that around this time Gareth had back surgery, which I always suspected had something to do with TNA, so this just seems to back that up. I know that Joanna still has back problems from doing TNA as well, due to chipping and cracking a couple of vertebrae. "The New Avengers have become the Old Avengers," she sighs, the rounds off by saying she notices the show's on rerun, and plans to tape it, seeing as she's only seen 5 of the 26.

It's lovely, because you can see how Gareth and Joanna's friendship hung in there, and they were still part of each other's lives long after the show ended. But it's quite sad to hear what a toll it took on their bodies. Only to be expected, of course, but still sad.

I really have to go and save all of Joanna's diary columns, though. I didn't have a chance to read them all, but there's loads of good stuff in there, I'm sure. :grin:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Mar 2013, 15:20

That's lovely, Timeless. I had no idea about her writing a column (maybe I read about it but forgot about it) but it sure is interesting. It would be lovely to read them for sure but thanks for letting us know what they are about!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Mar 2013, 17:11

LunaFive wrote:That's lovely, Timeless. I had no idea about her writing a column (maybe I read about it but forgot about it) but it sure is interesting. It would be lovely to read them for sure but thanks for letting us know what they are about!

I remember seeing a little mini bio for her somewhere, I think on the back of Stare Back and Smile, where they described her as a "columnist for the Times", but it always confused me because I never saw it referenced elsewhere, and she didn't talk about it in interviews or anything. So when I saw all the articles, I was quite excited, because it was the first confirmation I'd seen of it. I'm hoping I can get a chance to save them all before my subscription runs out and I can't access them any longer. If anyone's interested, I'd put them all together and let you download them or something. They're a great little insight into what her life was like in the early eighties, which I always feel is a period of her life that you don't really hear about much. :happy:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Mar 2013, 09:18

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
LunaFive wrote:That's lovely, Timeless. I had no idea about her writing a column (maybe I read about it but forgot about it) but it sure is interesting. It would be lovely to read them for sure but thanks for letting us know what they are about!

I remember seeing a little mini bio for her somewhere, I think on the back of Stare Back and Smile, where they described her as a "columnist for the Times", but it always confused me because I never saw it referenced elsewhere, and she didn't talk about it in interviews or anything. So when I saw all the articles, I was quite excited, because it was the first confirmation I'd seen of it. I'm hoping I can get a chance to save them all before my subscription runs out and I can't access them any longer. If anyone's interested, I'd put them all together and let you download them or something. They're a great little insight into what her life was like in the early eighties, which I always feel is a period of her life that you don't really hear about much. :happy:

Oh I would be more than interested to read them. And you might be right about Stare Back... I might have read about it there but never gave it much thought as I knew I'd never have a chance to actually read them anyway.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Mar 2013, 14:21

LunaFive wrote:Oh I would be more than interested to read them. And you might be right about Stare Back... I might have read about it there but never gave it much thought as I knew I'd never have a chance to actually read them anyway.

All right, I'll see what I can do, Britta. :yes: I'm pretty sure it was in the Stare Back description that I heard about it, which makes sense seeing as it was published in the eighties, but I've never seen it anywhere, either, so I kind of forgot about it. I'm looking forward to reading them all. Who knows--we may find more new stuff. ^^
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 10 Mar 2013, 20:48

Lovely little bits of TNA information. Thanks for sharing Timeless :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Mar 2013, 07:10

Timeless A-Peel wrote:All right, I'll see what I can do, Britta. :yes: I'm pretty sure it was in the Stare Back description that I heard about it, which makes sense seeing as it was published in the eighties, but I've never seen it anywhere, either, so I kind of forgot about it. I'm looking forward to reading them all. Who knows--we may find more new stuff. ^^

thanks Timeless, it would be great to read what she wrote back then. You might be right about the Stare Back-Book, it would fit into the timeline perfectly! :yes:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers