Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Did you know...? TNA Trivia

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Apr 2010, 17:56

The TNA trivia topic

george123 wrote:Ah, thanks Timeless - I enjoyed reading about that. I love the way she yelled that she was running away & never coming back - just like a little child. Funny.

Yeah, she sounded just like a little kid. Great, eh? She was usually pretty professional, but everyone has their breaking point. The really hilarious bit was that they'd trained her so well even ex-stuntman Austin couldn't keep up with her. I don't know if anyone could, except maybe Gareth, who seemed to be outpacing her the one time they ran together in Midas Touch (Joanna also described him as "much stronger and quicker" than she was, as though she was a slouch), but who knows where he was--possibly bandaging himself up again. Gareth bled a lot on TNA. A lot.

Laura wrote:Oh I love that TNA story- go Jo! Yes please Timeless, start a TNA trivia thread!! It makes the show EVEN better!

It definitely makes things more hilarious (or, in some cases, more alarming) when you watch the show. :lol: I dunno--you guys really want a thread full of things that are floating around in my brain. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:08

Re: Witter: Joanna Lumley

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It definitely makes things more hilarious (or, in some cases, more alarming) when you watch the show. I dunno--you guys really want a thread full of things that are floating around in my brain. :lol:

You've contributed to much to this forum (particularly the TNA section, I may say) that I'm not going to stop you from opening any topic, am I? :lol:

She might have sounded like a little kid, but I understand her frustration. She had very little experience with acting and getting the part of an Avengers girl is a pretty big deal. Acting wasn't exactly a luxury for her at the time either as she had to support both herself and Jamie, so I understand things might have gotten a bit stressful at times.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:16

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:It definitely makes things more hilarious (or, in some cases, more alarming) when you watch the show. I dunno--you guys really want a thread full of things that are floating around in my brain. :lol:

You've contributed to much to this forum (particularly the TNA section, I may say) that I'm not going to stop you from opening any topic, am I? :lol:

She might have sounded like a little kid, but I understand her frustration. She had very little experience with acting and getting the part of an Avengers girl is a pretty big deal. Acting wasn't exactly a luxury for her at the time either as she had to support both herself and Jamie, so I understand things might have gotten a bit stressful at times.

Especially at that point, in the dying days of the series. That was one of their last days, I believe. They'd already gone awhile without being paid, and everything was sort of falling apart around them. Stress was probably huge. The fact that they were so cheerful in spite of it all was a miracle, really. I suspect Gareth was responsible for keeping her chin up a lot near the end--you've read the story about the trailer's septic tank overflowing and ruining their costumes, and Gareth's beautiful, philosophical response? I think they leaned on each other a lot. :wub:

I may just have to make that TNA trivia thread, now. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:31

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I suspect Gareth was responsible for keeping her chin up a lot near the end--you've read the story about the trailer's septic tank overflowing and ruining their costumes, and Gareth's beautiful, philosophical response?

Interesting, interesting... But no, I don't think you've told us that before, please share the trivia. (see, I've helped you a bit with the creating a new topic) :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:36

Did you know...? TNA Trivia

From the depths of Timeless' brain, random things about TNA, the actors, the stunts, and other stuff from 11 years of reading books and articles. Occasionally I might get the details a little off--I read some of this stuff years ago, after all!--but I'm pretty accurate for the most part. Assuming that the original article had it right, of course. I'll add stuff as I think of it/feel like it.

Anyway, enjoy these dribs and drabs from New Avengerland. :grin:

--Gareth didn't just share an association with the Royal Shakespeare Company with fellow Avenger, Diana Rigg. Like Diana, he also pulled double duty while shooting TNA, appearing onstage with the National Theatre while shooting TNA's first season. When the man slept is beyond me.

--Joanna was once overheard, lounging on set one day among all the crew and other personnel, many of whom she considered friends, to say that she thought it would be lovely "to have a child with each of her friends," not in a sexual way, but merely because she thought it would be a nice thing to share with a friend. Joanna, of course, had been told she was infertile before having her son, Jamie. In all likelihood, she did want more children, but it never happened.

--Patrick had relocated to the U.S. several years before TNA began. With no residence in Britain while he was shooting the first season in 1976, he bunked with Diana Rigg, who soon became pregnant with her daughter, Rachael, and her husband, Archie Stirling. He lived elsewhere while shooting season 2.

--Fight scenes are hard on your wardrobe. Honor Blackman's leather wardrobe came out of practical reasons: her pants were forever splitting open, so leather was chosen for its durable qualities. Alas, putting Gambit in leather pants wouldn't have gone over half as well, his name not being "Jason King." :wink: Sadly, then, with seventies trousers being on the tight side, Gareth did split his pants doing fights.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:38

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I suspect Gareth was responsible for keeping her chin up a lot near the end--you've read the story about the trailer's septic tank overflowing and ruining their costumes, and Gareth's beautiful, philosophical response?

Interesting, interesting... But no, I don't think you've told us that before, please share the trivia. (see, I've helped you a bit with the creating a new topic) :lol:

Oh, you beat me to it--I already started one in the TNA thread. Can we do some merging magic? :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:42

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, you beat me to it--I already started one in the TNA thread. Can we do some merging magic? :grin:

*pulls a rabbit out of a hat* There you go! :d

Something tells me I'm going to enjoy this topic, haha.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:47

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, you beat me to it--I already started one in the TNA thread. Can we do some merging magic? :grin:

*pulls a rabbit out of a hat* There you go! :d

Something tells me I'm going to enjoy this topic, haha.

Oooh! *pets bunny* Moderator magic! (Can we stick my original post on top, though? Just because I've sort of introduced the thread there :grin: )

I hope you like this topic. Anything interesting to you yet? :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Apr 2010, 18:55

Timeless A-Peel wrote:(Can we stick my original post on top, though? Just because I've sort of introduced the thread there)

I'm afraid I can't do that, sorry. Once you're trying to merge to topics, the oldest post automatically becomes the begin post. There's nothing I can't do about that. :no:

Well, I think I have the Joanna/Gareth trivia before, but I didn't remember Diana and Patrick lived together! Could you please also post that story about the ''trailer's septic tank'' you've mentioned earlier?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 19:23

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:(Can we stick my original post on top, though? Just because I've sort of introduced the thread there)

I'm afraid I can't do that, sorry. Once you're trying to merge to topics, the oldest post automatically becomes the begin post. There's nothing I can't do about that. :no:

Well, I think I have the Joanna/Gareth trivia before, but I didn't remember Diana and Patrick lived together! Could you please also post that story about the ''trailer's septic tank'' you've mentioned earlier?

Oh, okay. No biggie. :grin:

Ah, yes, the septic tank story. Well, when they were shooting TNA on location in Canada, they had a Winnebago with them, for make-up, changing, and bathroom uses. One day they came and found that a septic tank or something had overflowed overnight, and the roof had leaked and soaked all their costumes. Joanna wasn't too thrilled about it. Gareth, officially the most upbeat man on the planet, picked one of his shirts off the floor and said "A scout smiles and whistles under all difficulties," which I'd like to be my motto. Tell me that's not a wonderful little piece of philosophical positive thinking? :wub:

Of course, Gareth was pretty hard to keep down, anyway. Also while on location in Canada, they arranged for trailers for the actors to use as dressing rooms. Joanna got one. Patrick got one. Gareth didn't get one. Not one to complain, but feeling like he'd been shafted a bit, he asked someone, "Um, would you mind getting me one?"
"Well, okay, but you're being difficult," was the reply. I don't know if ever got one, but he ended up changing behind a tree, outside, in what had become a very cool fall day. Ain't TV glamourous? :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Apr 2010, 19:50

Re: Did you know...? TNA Trivia

Aw no, poor Gareth! At least he could have shared a dressing room with Patrick (not with Jo, obviously) but having him getting changed behind a tree is a bit cruel. :lol: He never did once complain, did he? The cast not getting paid, all those cutbacks... All these things are so hard to believe, considering how popular the Avengers was at the time.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:01

Hehee I love this thread! Please post more Joanna/Gareth trivia!!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:02

Mara wrote:Aw no, poor Gareth! At least he could have shared a dressing room with Patrick (not with Jo, obviously) but having him getting changed behind a tree is a bit cruel. :lol: He never did once complain, did he? The cast not getting paid, all those cutbacks... All these things are so hard to believe, considering how popular the Avengers was at the time.

I know! Terrible, isn't it? And they told him he was being "difficult" for asking! I don't know why one of the others didn't offer to let him use theirs--I'm sure Joanna would have offered in an instant if she'd heard about it. She'd already lived with him--I doubt there was much mystery between them left. :lmao: But no, Gareth just laughed it all off, even years later. He was the most amiable guy on the planet, I think. Don't you just love his little quotation? :wub:

It was all the funding that got them in the end. Never any money for anything--it was often being filtered away by people "up top." Brian Clemens and Albert Fennell ended up paying Gareth and Joanna's wages themselves, so they were in the hole, too. Terrible, really. :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:03

Laura wrote:Hehee I love this thread! Please post more Joanna/Gareth trivia!!

I got a million of 'em. They were always doing something interesting. I'll try and think of some more. ^^
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:25

There are so many interesting things behind the scenes of The Avengers/New Avengers. I hadn't read about the septic tank incident. It's a pity Gareth never got the opportunity to write his own memoirs.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Apr 2010, 20:35

Thanks darling :grin:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Apr 2010, 00:20

Avengerdan wrote:There are so many interesting things behind the scenes of The Avengers/New Avengers. I hadn't read about the septic tank incident. It's a pity Gareth never got the opportunity to write his own memoirs.

Yeah, a shame isn't it? I think he had a lot of anecdotes socked away, but he hardly ever got a chance to share them.

Laura wrote:Thanks darling :grin:

You're welcome. I have more. :wink:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Apr 2010, 17:42

Please post more! hahah
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Apr 2010, 18:30

Laura wrote:Please post more! hahah

More, more. Lessee now...

Well, as a lot of you probably know, Purdey's character was originally to be called "Charly," until the perfume of the same name came on the market. Joanna, of course, chose Purdey, taking as inspiration the famous and expensive shotgun of the same name, model Sue Purdie, and crew member Ron Purdie. It was also thought that it was sit well with the American audiences because it was so close to the slang "purty" for "pretty," and it had that nice cat-like "purrr" sound in it. Purdey (or Charly, rather) was also originally conceived as Steed's niece, which would have made for an interesting dynamic with Gambit flirting with her right in front of him! At least one early draft of a script had the character called "Charly," but I've no idea if she was actually ever written as Steed's niece. I tend to think the idea was dropped fairly early on.

Gambit, on the other hand, was originally conceived as a "swinger," running around in jeans and bomber jackets. Gareth was actually more keen on that wardrobe idea, since he pretty much lived in jeans himself at that point and liked being casual. Brian Clemens, however, decided Gambit would have to dress well in order to blend in and quietly mingle with people in the corridors of power--clubs and Whitehall and such--and so the jeans were nixed in favour of Gambit's pinstripes and tailored suits. Gareth only ever recalls squeaking in jeans once, which I think must have been either when playing his own double on target range (watch it--Gambit never wears jeans, but his double does!), and also when he plays the pop star in House of Cards. Further pushing by Gareth for a more casual wardrobe for Gambit got him a nice line of cardigans, which hadn't been quite what he'd been aiming for. He gave up after that. But at least Gambit was always nice and warm. :lol:

Because TNA didn't pay anywhere near huge money (600 pounds an episode in season one, and 800 per ep in season 2), peope were always a bit disappointed when they saw what the "Stars" were driving. Joanna was trundling around in a Mini at the time, I believe. Gareth had a blue Volkswagon Beetle. He named it Alexander. I'm so serious. :lol:
Last edited by Timeless A-Peel on 13 Apr 2010, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Apr 2010, 19:48

Hahah love the cars! There's nothing wrong with a Mini- I must ask Mum if she Joanna driving hers! And Alexander, that's so cute. My car is named Dora! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Apr 2010, 20:08

Laura wrote:Hahah love the cars! There's nothing wrong with a Mini- I must ask Mum if she Joanna driving hers! And Alexander, that's so cute. My car is named Dora! :lol:

Aww, Dora! What kind of car is she? :hug: I love that Gareth named his car, too--just the idea of Gambit in a mini is pretty brilliant. I wish they'd put him in one in the show once, just for the fun of it. I remember he had to get up in the middle of an interview once and apologised because he thought Alexander was going to get towed and he wanted to check on him. :lol:

I like Minis, but people were so disappointed with it--they expected something posher because they figured Joanna was a millionaire from the show (they always laughed whenever they heard that, because it was so far from the truth). Joanna had a lot of negative comments about the poor Mini because it just didn't live up to the hype.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Apr 2010, 20:19

Haha I love that, "Excuse me, just gotta check on Alexander!"

I can't stand car snobs, there's no need to be like it! I drive a Vauxhall Corsa, in silver. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Apr 2010, 20:27

Laura wrote:Haha I love that, "Excuse me, just gotta check on Alexander!"

I can't stand car snobs, there's no need to be like it! I drive a Vauxhall Corsa, in silver. :lol:

It's great, isn't it? :lol: Gareth said people always expected him to be driving an XK6, too, so it was just a case of them not being "glamourous" enough for TV people. "Alexander the Beetle does me just fine," was Gareth's final word on the matter. He didn't want him to get towed, anyway. :lol:

(I just checked--Alexander was blue, not green. I'm sure that makes a huge difference in everyone's lives. :lol: )

Aw, Dora's silver. Sweet. :grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Apr 2010, 20:42

Yep :happy: haha. I love Beetle's too- they have good taste in cars!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Apr 2010, 20:47

Laura wrote:Yep :happy: haha. I love Beetle's too- they have good taste in cars!

They're so huggable. The Beetle, I mean. But then so's Gareth. Fits, doesn't it? :wink:
Next

Return to The New Avengers