Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Doodles for charity

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Jan 2012, 13:35

Doodles for charity

Looks like Joanna had done another doodle in 2012. It's not yet up on ebay but will be:

*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Jan 2012, 17:08

Re: Charities Joanna supports

Cute! Only I can't quite make out what the golden/silver rounds where - it says that their medals? :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 24 Jan 2012, 17:54

Does this sketch remind anyone else of the opening credits to Sapphire and Steel? "Gold. Jet. Lead. Sapphire. Steel. Sapphire and Steel has been assigned." :whistle: Joanna's even ended it with "and Sapphire", as though Steel's just been left out because she ran out of room. I wonder if that was intentional?
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Jan 2012, 19:09

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Does this sketch remind anyone else of the opening credits to Sapphire and Steel? "Gold. Jet. Lead. Sapphire. Steel. Sapphire and Steel has been assigned." :whistle: Joanna's even ended it with "and Sapphire", as though Steel's just been left out because she ran out of room. I wonder if that was intentional?

Haha! I'm not too sure about that one (I've never watched S&S so I couldn't tell you what the credits look like) but it did remind me of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat! It...waaaas...gold and silver and lead and bronze... :lol:

Anyway, I love how dedicated Jo is to charity work; she does so much yet manages not to brag about it, unlike some other celebs. I rather like the messiness of her latest doodle; it's sort of free-flowing and absent-minded the way a proper doodle should be! :thumb: Although, I must confess that I thought the medals were coins until I read the writing. :blush: :lol:

Edit: Re-read the post to discover I'd made a type, which I have now corrected.
Last edited by Heleno on 24 Jan 2012, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Jan 2012, 19:17

Heleno wrote:Haha! I'm not too sure about that one (I've never watched S&S so I couldn't tell you what the credits look like) but it did remind me of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat! It...waaaas...gold and silver and lead and bronze... :lol:

Anyway, I love how dedicated Jo is to charity work; she does so much yet manages not to brag about it, unlike some other celebs. I rather like the messiness of her latest doodle; it's sort of free-flowing absent-minded the way a proper doodle should be! :thumb: Although, I must confess that I thought the medals were coins until I read the writing. :blush: :lol:

S&S is good but strange. Definitely something to look into as you explore Joanna's body of work. The credits are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjHmEUiaxo

I kind of hope it's meant to be an in-joke--considering that she moves from metals to gemstones, it seems a bit suspicious. :wink:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 24 Jan 2012, 20:13

Timeless A-Peel wrote:S&S is good but strange. Definitely something to look into as you explore Joanna's body of work.

Hey, 'Good but Strange' is my middle name! (Actually, my parents couldn't be bothered to give me a middle name. Shhh. Don't tell anybody, OK?) I'll definitely be checking it out sometime soon; I've having to be vigilant as to how much stuff I watch online at the moment, as I went over my ISP usage limit last month and ended up with a hefty bill. :blush: :whistle:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The credits are here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gjHmEUiaxo

I kind of hope it's meant to be an in-joke--considering that she moves from metals to gemstones, it seems a bit suspicious. :wink:

Thanks for the link; I thoroughly enjoyed my short-lived trip through space. ^^ I see what you mean though; the two are very similar, aren't they? You know, I think you might be right. This might be Jo's way of giving a little wink to her 'old-school' fans. :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Jan 2012, 00:03

Heleno wrote:Hey, 'Good but Strange' is my middle name! (Actually, my parents couldn't be bothered to give me a middle name. Shhh. Don't tell anybody, OK?) I'll definitely be checking it out sometime soon; I've having to be vigilant as to how much stuff I watch online at the moment, as I went over my ISP usage limit last month and ended up with a hefty bill. :blush: :whistle:

Thanks for the link; I thoroughly enjoyed my short-lived trip through space. ^^ I see what you mean though; the two are very similar, aren't they? You know, I think you might be right. This might be Jo's way of giving a little wink to her 'old-school' fans. :thumb:

Well, then, if you're up for a slice of slightly trippy sci-fi horror, then S&S should be right up your street. It's one of Joanna's earlier projects, her first major gig after TNA made her a star. You can save your ISP usage by picking up the DVDs--I bought the complete series years back for a pretty reasonble price. :yes:

I'd like to think that Joanna means it as an in-joke. She's made reference to her past roles in little doodles before (she had a "From Purdey to Patsy" transition one that I'm quite fond of), and she's referenced them in other shows, too. This may be S&S's turn to be in-joked. :thumb:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Jan 2012, 00:21

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Does this sketch remind anyone else of the opening credits to Sapphire and Steel? "Gold. Jet. Lead. Sapphire. Steel. Sapphire and Steel has been assigned." :whistle:

First thing that crossed my mind! I see you already mentioned ''From Pats to Purdey'' but she does seem fond of little in-jokes, doesn't she? (I still regret I didn't bid on that sketch at the time!) Remind me to get a tweet out when it's up for sale!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Jan 2012, 00:37

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Does this sketch remind anyone else of the opening credits to Sapphire and Steel? "Gold. Jet. Lead. Sapphire. Steel. Sapphire and Steel has been assigned." :whistle:

First thing that crossed my mind! I see you already mentioned ''From Pats to Purdey'' but she does seem fond of little in-jokes, doesn't she? (I still regret I didn't bid on that sketch at the time!) Remind me to get a tweet out when it's up for sale!

Hey, then it's not just me! :cheer: I like that Joanna likes to play on her past roles (like Purdey/TNA in Class Act and Ab Fab). It tells us that she still remembers and thinks back to them, just as her fans do. I tend to wonder if the TNA references in Class Act were her idea for that reason, and I'm willing to bet that she's doing it again here. I don't think she's ever snuck an S&S in-joke in before, but there's got to be a first time for everything, right? :wink:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 25 Jan 2012, 01:24

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, then, if you're up for a slice of slightly trippy sci-fi horror, then S&S should be right up your street. It's one of Joanna's earlier projects, her first major gig after TNA made her a star. You can save your ISP usage by picking up the DVDs--I bought the complete series years back for a pretty reasonble price. :yes:

I'm planning on watching Assignment 1 online ('tis available on youtube) then, if I find it floats my boat and tickles my pickle I'll buy the complete series, which is available at Tesco for just under nineteen quid. Bargain, me thinks. :yes:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'd like to think that Joanna means it as an in-joke. She's made reference to her past roles in little doodles before (she had a "From Purdey to Patsy" transition one that I'm quite fond of), and she's referenced them in other shows, too. This may be S&S's turn to be in-joked. :thumb:

Oh yes! I remember seeing that and thinking of using it in my signature (giving full credit to Jo of course); I decided against it for some reason, I can't remember why. I think it might of been because it was vertical rather than horizontal. Anyway when I looked on the national doodle day website today to browse through Jo's past additions, it wasn't there. Did she, by chance, draw it for another charity? If so, which one? I sort of fell a tinsy bit in love with that picture, and now I can't find it. :no:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Jan 2012, 10:54

Heleno wrote:Oh yes! I remember seeing that and thinking of using it in my signature (giving full credit to Jo of course); I decided against it for some reason, I can't remember why. I think it might of been because it was vertical rather than horizontal. Anyway when I looked on the national doodle day website today to browse through Jo's past additions, it wasn't there. Did she, by chance, draw it for another charity? If so, which one? I sort of fell a tinsy bit in love with that picture, and now I can't find it. :no:

We used to have about five times as many topics on this board (and a couple of others) but they got lost when the host messed up our boards. Philippa and I had to move everything and I think the doodle topic was one that got lost when we moved everything. I was going to say that I was sure I had stored it somewhere on my hard disk, mais non. *note to self* :stupidme:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Jan 2012, 14:00

Heleno wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Well, then, if you're up for a slice of slightly trippy sci-fi horror, then S&S should be right up your street. It's one of Joanna's earlier projects, her first major gig after TNA made her a star. You can save your ISP usage by picking up the DVDs--I bought the complete series years back for a pretty reasonble price. :yes:

I'm planning on watching Assignment 1 online ('tis available on youtube) then, if I find it floats my boat and tickles my pickle I'll buy the complete series, which is available at Tesco for just under nineteen quid. Bargain, me thinks. :yes:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'd like to think that Joanna means it as an in-joke. She's made reference to her past roles in little doodles before (she had a "From Purdey to Patsy" transition one that I'm quite fond of), and she's referenced them in other shows, too. This may be S&S's turn to be in-joked. :thumb:

Oh yes! I remember seeing that and thinking of using it in my signature (giving full credit to Jo of course); I decided against it for some reason, I can't remember why. I think it might of been because it was vertical rather than horizontal. Anyway when I looked on the national doodle day website today to browse through Jo's past additions, it wasn't there. Did she, by chance, draw it for another charity? If so, which one? I sort of fell a tinsy bit in love with that picture, and now I can't find it. :no:

Oh, good, let us know what you think of the series in the S&S board. I hope you enjoy it enough to get the whole set. :yes:

Unfortunately, I can't recall which charity Joanna did the Purdey/Patsy sketch either, and a quick glance through my harddrive hasn't turned it up, but if I find it, I'll repost it. :yes:

EDIT: Found it!

<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 25 Jan 2012, 14:43

Mara wrote:We used to have about five times as many topics on this board (and a couple of others) but they got lost when the host messed up our boards. Philippa and I had to move everything and I think the doodle topic was one that got lost when we moved everything. I was going to say that I was sure I had stored it somewhere on my hard disk, mais non. *note to self* :stupidme:

Yes, I read about that incident on other threads when I was lurking around here before I decided to register. It must've been very annoying for you both to lose so much content. :no:

Perhaps we could restart the doodle thread? There's at least nine doodles on the National Doodle Day website, one for The Ulster Wildlife Trust (her beetle) and of course the 'From Purdey to Patsy' one. I know there's quite a few others, but maybe in time we could add to the collection. Let me know if you think it's worthwhile, as I'd be more than happy to do it. ^^

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Oh, good, let us know what you think of the series in the S&S board. I hope you enjoy it enough to get the whole set. :yes:

Unfortunately, I can't recall which charity Joanna did the Purdey/Patsy sketch either, and a quick glance through my harddrive hasn't turned it up, but if I find it, I'll repost it. :yes:

EDIT: Found it!

Woop-woop! Nice one Timeless! :cheer: You're a star! :hug:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Jan 2012, 07:25

I wouldn't mind having another doole site up with all the doodles we can find. I know I have several Joanna doodles at my home computers, not sure how many but maybe we can bring them all together in one thread?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Jan 2012, 12:15

LunaFive wrote:I know I have several Joanna doodles at my home computers, not sure how many but maybe we can bring them all together in one thread?

As you wish :wink:

I can't find the other ones that she did on this computer but maybe someone else can upload them?
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Jan 2012, 13:15

Mara wrote:
LunaFive wrote:I know I have several Joanna doodles at my home computers, not sure how many but maybe we can bring them all together in one thread?

As you wish :wink:

I can't find the other ones that she did on this computer but maybe someone else can upload them?

Thank you! I shall try to think of uploading the other ones if no-one else does it in the meantime. :wave:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 26 Jan 2012, 16:53

Re: Doodles for charity

I found some on my computer.

Handprint against sex traffic

another one from 2011

That's it, I don't have anymore! :wave:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 27 Jan 2012, 00:40

Does anyone mind if I wade in?

This one, I believe, was drawn by Miss Lumley for the Ulster Wildlife Trust in 2010:

Love it! :grin:

Edit: Just found another one!

This is what Joanna contributed to help raise funds for The Mayhew Animal home in 2011:

Sorry for the size and wonkiness; the sketch was printed onto bookmarks which were sold online and at the centre itself. The picture of the bookmark on the Mayhew website was also accompanied by picture of Jo, which I (clumsily) edited out. The full picture's available here for anyone who thinks they might be able to do a better job of it. :happy:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2012, 07:54

Thanks for the bettle, I must have missed saving it last year! And the dog one was totally new to me. I checked out this page, I would have loved to buy one but they would charge 12 pounds for the postage and that's ridiculous! :crybaby:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Jan 2012, 11:13

Wow thanks girls, I didn't even recognise most of these! They're fabulous, she really has an eye for drawing hasn't she?
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jan 2012, 11:24

Mara wrote:Wow thanks girls, I didn't even recognise most of these! They're fabulous, she really has an eye for drawing hasn't she?

Oh yes, she definately has! I wish she would publish a book with her drawings :wub:
<<

Heleno

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 27 Jan 2012, 21:27

LunaFive wrote:
Mara wrote:Wow thanks girls, I didn't even recognise most of these! They're fabulous, she really has an eye for drawing hasn't she?

Oh yes, she definately has! I wish she would publish a book with her drawings :wub:

Indeed, she's very talented. I really love the style of drawing too; it's sort of messy and carefree as if she hasn't really thought about how she's going to go about the sketch, like she's just put pen to paper and gone with the flow. ^^

Oh and I agree, Britta; a book of her sketches would be marvellous! And I'm sure there's no shortage of drawings to put in it; I have a feeling that Joanna's got countless sketchbooks lying around the house, all full of beautiful pictures. :wub:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Jan 2012, 12:57

Heleno wrote:Oh and I agree, Britta; a book of her sketches would be marvellous! And I'm sure there's no shortage of drawings to put in it; I have a feeling that Joanna's got countless sketchbooks lying around the house, all full of beautiful pictures. :wub:

That's what I think, too. Yet alone from all her travels she must enough to fill a book, I'm sure :wub:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Jan 2013, 06:36

Joanna did a new doodle this year, it's not jet up for auction but you can see it here:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jan 2013, 18:41

Is it wrong that my first thought is, "Joanna can see the Bowie clown"? :lol:
Next

Return to Joanna discussion