Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Emmy nomination for AbFab return

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Oct 2012, 09:22

Emmy nomination for AbFab return

Brilliant news! I expect some press articles will pop up over the next few weeks, but here's a Google news thingy with a few articles: click

They've been nominated for 'best sitcom' but I'm not sure what they're up against..
<<

Georgia

Donkey

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Oct 2012, 17:08

Re: Emmy nomination for AbFab return

This is brilliant. It would be amazing if they won.

Thanks for posting. :)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Oct 2012, 22:41

I'll just point out, in case it's not clear, that AbFab is up for an International Emmy, not the ones that got handed out in the States in September. I've always thought the international ones were more interesting anyway. Life on Mars won, I remember, even though they lost at the BAFTAs.

AbFab is up against The Invisible Woman from Brazil and What If? from Belgium, neither of which I've heard of. The fourth nominee is BSkyB's Spy, which I did watch most of earlier this year. Even without having watched the most recent AbFab episodes, I think it's safe to say it can beat Spy. No idea about how the other two were received, but good luck to Joanna.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Oct 2012, 11:05

The fact that AbFab is really well known worldwide and the other nominees aren't should work in their favour. I really hope they'll win, they deserve it :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Oct 2012, 13:18

Philippa wrote:The fact that AbFab is really well known worldwide and the other nominees aren't should work in their favour. I really hope they'll win, they deserve it :grin:

You'd think it would, wouldn't you? Fingers crossed--I'd like to see Joanna's acceptance speech. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Oct 2012, 14:40

'Spy' was pretty good fun, but I have no idea about the other nominees - even the Belgium show doesn't ring a bell. Indeed I forgot to add that it's the international ones - never really understood why there has to be a separate category for everything non-American, but that's the States for you..
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Oct 2012, 14:53

Mara wrote:'Spy' was pretty good fun, but I have no idea about the other nominees - even the Belgium show doesn't ring a bell. Indeed I forgot to add that it's the international ones - never really understood why there has to be a separate category for everything non-American, but that's the States for you..

I assume the American ones were first, and these are the "spin-off" ones, so to speak, but I may be wrong. But yes, it's another case of the assumption that the US is the centre of the TV and movie world at work (though I notice they're quite happy to slap "PBS" on imports like Sherlock and Downton and claim them as their own). Given the Emmys shows the last few years, I think I'd rather watch the international ones. :whistle:

Spy wasn't bad--I did miss a couple episodes of it, so I didn't really get to see the full plot arc unfold. But I don't know that it's the best comedy example to come out of Britain, and I don't know how well it'll shape up to the competition. AbFab probably has a better chance.

Return to Absolutely Fabulous