Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Fan fiction

<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 Nov 2008, 21:57

Fan fiction

A great deal of fan fiction has been written about The Avengers (I'm a big big fan of fan fiction :D )
A member of The Avengers Fan Forum, who goes by the name Timeless-A-Peel, particularly likes to write New Avengers fan fiction, and she has posted many stories on the website fanfiction.net
Avengers Fan Fiction

If you have a spare moment, I can highly recommend them, because she has a fantastic way of writing.
I especially recommend the story called 'Brazil', this one isn't finished yet, but it's very exciting :D
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 18 Nov 2008, 22:43

Re: Fan fiction

I normally don't really like (or not at all..) fan fic, but I'll try these ones. Thanks for the link!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Dec 2008, 06:53

Re: Fan fiction

Hello, I've only just joined up. I know Philippa from the Avengers Fan Forum, and thought I'd pop in here as well. I'm a TNA fan, and where there's TNA, there's Gambit and Purdey, and therefore, Joanna!

Anyway, poking around here I'm flattered to find Philippa putting a good word in for my fanfics. I write only TNA fic as of now, and I'm currently in the process of posting what I've written, the latest being the aforementioned "Brazil," which I'll just take a moment to plug :oops: :

http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4588007/1/Brazil

I just updated it, so there's a fresh chapter to be read. If anyone else is interested in more TNA fic, I know a few other writers who pen Purdey and Gambit (we're a rare breed--Steed and Emma have a monopoly!), and I'd be happy to link them up for your reading pleasure.

Nice to be here!
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Dec 2008, 16:22

Re: Fan fiction

Great to have you heare Timeless, thanks for joining :D
And by the way, you're killing me with your 'Brazil' story, I'm literally on the edge of my seat. Poor Purdey, and also poor Gambit, he's so worried. Which makes him the ultimate sweetheart :wub:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Dec 2008, 17:48

Re: Fan fiction

Hi timeless, welcome... :) I really enjoyed your fanfic, keep the good work up!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 Dec 2008, 19:55

Re: Fan fiction

Philippa wrote:Great to have you heare Timeless, thanks for joining :D
And by the way, you're killing me with your 'Brazil' story, I'm literally on the edge of my seat. Poor Purdey, and also poor Gambit, he's so worried. Which makes him the ultimate sweetheart :wub:


Thank you both. It's a terribly long fic, and I think I need to start posting longer chapters or I may never get through it! I just need to get more editing in.

One thing I can tell you is Gambit will spend an inordinate amount of time worrying after Purdey (nothing new there, then), and Purdey herself will be AWOL for awhile (and has a lot more to go through as well, I promise). That means there will be a Special Guest Star of sorts to round out the trio on this adventure, although not for a few chapters yet. First I have to pump up the worry factor (I'm so cruel to these characters. I love Gambit and yet I keep turning him into a nervous wreck. Such is the life of fictional characters). But rest assured, he'll actually get to do something other than worry--and that ought to make you love him even more. :wub:

Anyway, glad you're enjoying it. Always nice to know you're not posting to thin air!
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Dec 2008, 01:39

Re: Fan fiction

I started with the Brazil story, but the others looked also quite promising, and I must say: I've read a couple of them so far, and they're amazing. You wrote excellent combinations of conversations between the characters and the actual story line. Especially the dialogues are very well written, it feels like they could have been in the actual series.

My compliments, you know the serie and it's characters so well, and you're a talented writer. Please keep the good work up!

*continues reading stories again*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 23 Dec 2008, 18:20

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:I started with the Brazil story, but the others looked also quite promising, and I must say: I've read a couple of them so far, and they're amazing. You wrote excellent combinations of conversations between the characters and the actual story line. Especially the dialogues are very well written, it feels like they could have been in the actual series.

My compliments, you know the serie and it's characters so well, and you're a talented writer. Please keep the good work up!

*continues reading stories again*


Thank you very much! It's always great to hear that people are enjoying my fics, and I try my hardest to write believable dialogue (pretty much my whole reason for writing fic. Plot tends to be secondary as a result), so it's always great to hear that it sounds right. I hope you like "Brazil." It is going to be quite long, though, so expect lots of updates in the future. A lot of the fics I've posted are quite short, so if you ever want to read something that doesn't require a lot of commitment, there's lots to be had.

Just curious, which ones have you read so far (other than "Brazil")?
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 Jan 2009, 17:54

Re: Fan fiction

Please let Purdey be found soon Timeless, I beg you. Poor Gambit can't take it much longer ahaha. I honestly feel for him :heart:
And perhaps they could go on a nice date to celebrate the safe ending of the adventure :P (sorry I'm getting carried away)
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Jan 2009, 01:18

Re: Fan fiction

Philippa wrote:Please let Purdey be found soon Timeless, I beg you. Poor Gambit can't take it much longer ahaha. I honestly feel for him :heart:
And perhaps they could go on a nice date to celebrate the safe ending of the adventure :P (sorry I'm getting carried away)


Not just yet, but I do promise he'll be getting some help soon and the opportunity to do something about her predicament, which'll make him feel not so useless. And when she gets back, well, they will celebrate a little... :D
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Jan 2009, 19:15

Re: Fan fiction

There's a new TNA one on (and those are quite rare...), only added a couple of days ago and I must say I quite like it: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4780073/1/B ... ening_Move

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Just curious, which ones have you read so far (other than "Brazil")?


Let me think... I've started with Brazil, haven't finished that one yet. All of the short stories - I've started with a couple of others too, like the Anniversay story (really goood) and the Christmas story. (excellent) One of your best ones so far is the 'See You Fall' - not as light and amusing as usual, and I think that's what I like about it...

The short stories really did make me laugh, especially the Magazines one. Some of them couldn't have been in an actual episode cos it hasn't got much to do with the actual theme of the show (spying) but the witty conversation and remarks you wrote are amazing though - you can definitely tell you've put a lot of effort into studying the characters..
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jan 2009, 20:42

Re: Fan fiction

Oh thanks for the link Maartje, I shall enjoy reading another TNA fanfic :grin:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Jan 2009, 06:26

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:There's a new TNA one on (and those are quite rare...), only added a couple of days ago and I must say I quite like it: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4780073/1/B ... ening_Move

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Just curious, which ones have you read so far (other than "Brazil")?


Let me think... I've started with Brazil, haven't finished that one yet. All of the short stories - I've started with a couple of others too, like the Anniversay story (really goood) and the Christmas story. (excellent) One of your best ones so far is the 'See You Fall' - not as light and amusing as usual, and I think that's what I like about it...

The short stories really did make me laugh, especially the Magazines one. Some of them couldn't have been in an actual episode cos it hasn't got much to do with the actual theme of the show (spying) but the witty conversation and remarks you wrote are amazing though - you can definitely tell you've put a lot of effort into studying the characters..


I read that new TNA fic last night when it was posted. I was quite surprised to see fresh TNA fic from someone other than me! :grin: It's very good, does all the characters justice, and, most importantly, is based around Gambit and his relationship with Purdey. All around winner then.

Anyway, I'm well aware a lot of my fics are light on plot. The shorts especially. Essentially I get an idea for a scene and don't want to build a whole story around it just so I can write a few pages of dialogue. "Magazines" is a personal favourite of mine, and I believe my first short. I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it rang true. I find it interesting to see which fics different people respond to. I had another person who just loved "See You Fall," despite it's depressing AU content, but the idea wouldn't get out of my head once I heard that song, so I'm glad I wrote it and people responded to it! "The Anniversary" is quite special to me, too, and quite old--at least, the original version was. I heavily rewrote it a few years later. But the general premise remained the same. And Gambit's upset has deep-set roots in future fic in my story arc. "Merry Christmas, Mr. Gambit" is pretty old, too, but it survived intact. Ever since I typed it in 2006, I've made a tradition of writing a Christmas fic every year, including this one. My arc just keeps getting longer!

And there's lots of "Brazil" coming, too. I'm glad you're enjoying them. Thanks for all the kind words! :claps:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jan 2009, 10:06

Re: Fan fiction

I'm really excited to read the rest of Brazil, it's really really good!
Oh and I loved magazines too, a lot, it was really funny. I don't mind some fanfics being short. To be honest, sometimes I'm put off if I see a fanfic has 10+ chapters, because some people just don't write interesting enough and after chapter 2 it tends to get a bit boring (this doesn't go for you though Timeless) ;)

And that other new TNA fanfic, I read it yesterday and I loved it! I thought it was very good, very well written, and I loved how she had divided it into small scenes. And ofcourse that it focused on Gambit and his feelings for Purdey :heart:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Jan 2009, 15:53

Re: Fan fiction

I've checked the user, and she has written an impressive amount of fanfiction, including some more Avengers stuff: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/830329/Wiccagirl24 :)

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The shorts especially. Essentially I get an idea for a scene and don't want to build a whole story around it just so I can write a few pages of dialogue.


Interesting - I understand what you mean by them not being Avenger-ish enough for an entire new story, but I do enjoy reading them. (looking forward to some new stuff!)
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jan 2009, 16:02

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:I've checked the user, and she has written an impressive amount of fanfiction, including some more TNA stuff: http://www.fanfiction.net/u/830329/Wiccagirl24 :)


Oh don't tempt me, I've got so much revising to do!!

I'm already on here instead of studying so it's no good :blush:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Jan 2009, 17:52

Re: Fan fiction

Philippa wrote:I'm really excited to read the rest of Brazil, it's really really good!
Oh and I loved magazines too, a lot, it was really funny. I don't mind some fanfics being short. To be honest, sometimes I'm put off if I see a fanfic has 10+ chapters, because some people just don't write interesting enough and after chapter 2 it tends to get a bit boring (this doesn't go for you though Timeless) ;)

And that other new TNA fanfic, I read it yesterday and I loved it! I thought it was very good, very well written, and I loved how she had divided it into small scenes. And ofcourse that it focused on Gambit and his feelings for Purdey :heart:


I'm glad "Brazil" is keeping you interested! I know long fics can be tough to stay enthusiastic about, because they demand a commitment from the reader, and you have to be able to pick up the plot after a long break. I know "Brazil" is long, but I'm grateful people are sticking to it. I'm wordy, y'see, do if I'm going to do something with a plot, expect a lot of it. This is the reason it's refreshing to do a short. If I can't think up a plot that would be halfway decent, or I'm just too tired to do something elaborate and plot out the machinations, or just have an idea I want to play with while it's fresh, I write a short. "Magazines" was the first time I tried it, and I still occasionally get an idea that makes me want to write right now! My AU stuff tends to feel sort of like an extended short, though, because even though it might be longer, it's essentially one big romp which makes it fun to write ("Swapped" and "Forgetting" would be the best examples of this). Anyway, I do have a few more shorts buried in my writing folder, but I'm not sure whether they're quite up to standard for public consumption. But I do hope that if you stick to my arc (i.e., Brazil et al.) that you'll start to feel rewarded because I'm trying really hard to tie all the events of the series and all my own ideas together and feel like a really satisfying take on the TNA universe, along with plotting the evolution of Purdey and Gambit's relationship, which is pretty much the main purpose of the arc. So stay tuned! After "Brazil" the next fic is set post-"Obsession" and gives Purdey an, er, "interesting" way of working way her problems with Gambit.

Charm wrote:Interesting - I understand what you mean by them not being Avenger-ish enough for an entire new story, but I do enjoy reading them. (looking forward to some new stuff!)


I do try to make them Avengerish, but I like said, there often isn't a plotline that I'd add that doesn't just feel tacked on, or that I really want to spend too much time with. The main purpose is to have some fun! But when I do write a plot, I try my best to make it at least somewhat believeable.

Anyway, I'll try and get another chapter up soon. I've got this new fic in the works that keeps distracting me, and I'm quite excited about it. But like you two I've got school to contend with. I hardly got any break at all over the holidays!

(And true to form, this post is wordy, too. :lol: )
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Jan 2009, 18:26

Re: Fan fiction

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do try to make them Avengerish, but I like said, there often isn't a plotline that I'd add that doesn't just feel tacked on, or that I really want to spend too much time with. The main purpose is to have some fun! But when I do write a plot, I try my best to make it at least somewhat believeable.


I know what you mean, but it's kinda hard to explain it. You've remained absolutely true to the characters, but it's the setting that wouldn't have worked out in the actual show (like 'Magazines') cos it hasn't got much to do with the working relationship between the three on which the series is based... Anyway - I'm excited to hear that you've got some more shorties: if it's not appropriate stuff for fanfic.net, please share them here. (I'd love to read them)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Jan 2009, 18:35

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do try to make them Avengerish, but I like said, there often isn't a plotline that I'd add that doesn't just feel tacked on, or that I really want to spend too much time with. The main purpose is to have some fun! But when I do write a plot, I try my best to make it at least somewhat believeable.


I know what you mean, but it's kinda hard to explain it. You've remained absolutely true to the characters, but it's the setting that wouldn't have worked out in the actual show (like 'Magazines') cos it hasn't got much to do with the working relationship between the three on which the series is based... Anyway - I'm excited to hear that you've got some more shorties: if it's not appropriate stuff for fanfic.net, please share them here. (I'd love to read them)


Oh, no, I understand what you're getting at. No, most wouldn't fit in the context of the series because they're not really about anything--they're like quick character sketches meant to flesh out Purdey, Gambit, and Steed as people. Hey, they can't be spies all the time! :D But I sometimes like to set them in such a way that it's clear that they're on their way back from assignment, or about to go on assignment, etc. (Magazines taking place shortly after the conclusion of the French stories, "French Lessons" during the Canadian episodes, etc.). No, not much on the spying plot, but then I'm wrestling with that enough on the arc!

I do have a few more shorts. They're not really "inappropriate" in terms of content, so much as I don't feel like they're quite as polished as some of my other offerings, which makes me unsure of how they'd work in the public domain (I'm terribly critical of my own writing so it's often tough for me to share stuff. I'm doing ff.net to try and get over that!). There is one I wrote when Philippa asked on the other forum for a romantic Purdey/Gambit story, which I'm not sure if it fits the bill. But if there's interest, I could post some bonus shorts here (and if the reaction's good, I could transfer them to ff.net). So yeah, if you'd like them, let me know!
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Jan 2009, 19:15

Re: Fan fiction

Timeless A-Peel wrote:There is one I wrote when Philippa asked on the other forum for a romantic Purdey/Gambit story, which I'm not sure if it fits the bill. !


Ooohh I'm intrigued now!! Fabulous :wub:
Can't wait to read that one!!
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Jan 2009, 19:49

Re: Fan fiction

Timeless A-Peel wrote:They're not really "inappropriate" in terms of content, so much as I don't feel like they're quite as polished as some of my other offerings, which makes me unsure of how they'd work in the public domain (I'm terribly critical of my own writing so it's often tough for me to share stuff. I'm doing ff.net to try and get over that!).


It's good to be critical at times, but don't be too hard on yourself, cos your fanfics really are very good. I'd love to read the other short stories you've written so far, please feel free to share them here.. (and I'll read and comment)

Btw, I also love the background information you include in every story - please keep doing that. I always quite enjoy to read a writer's thought behind a story.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Jan 2009, 02:45

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:They're not really "inappropriate" in terms of content, so much as I don't feel like they're quite as polished as some of my other offerings, which makes me unsure of how they'd work in the public domain (I'm terribly critical of my own writing so it's often tough for me to share stuff. I'm doing ff.net to try and get over that!).


It's good to be critical at times, but don't be too hard on yourself, cos your fanfics really are very good. I'd love to read the other short stories you've written so far, please feel free to share them here.. (and I'll read and comment)

Btw, I also love the background information you include in every story - please keep doing that. I always quite enjoy to read a writer's thought behind a story.


You mean the author's notes? Oh, thank you, I didn't know if anyone was actually reading those! Yes, I promise there are more notes with my other fics. I just have to save them until the end for fear of spoilers. I also explain all my in-jokes. i love in-jokes. You can trace what I was watching/listening to at the time I wrote the fic by what I reference.

I'll try and get the other fics up one of these days. I'm quite busy and I've just come down with a cold, so I'm moving at a snail's pace. But I will post them as there's interest! In the meantime, I uploaded a new chapter of "Brazil"yesterday, so that should keep you occupied...
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 Jan 2009, 19:14

Re: Fan fiction

Timeless A-Peel wrote:You mean the author's notes? Oh, thank you, I didn't know if anyone was actually reading those! Yes, I promise there are more notes with my other fics.


I do read the author's notes, it often makes a story so much more interesting if you understand what the author had in mind while writing..

Anyway - I think you can have your own topic here as well if you want, for the unpublished (short) stuff you do not want to post on Fanfiction.net, I'm sure we'd all love to read it!
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Jan 2009, 19:22

Re: Fan fiction

^I would definitely love to read it :grin:

Oh and I finally updated my story, after 3.5 months. I suffered from major writer's block first, and completely forgot about the story afterwards. It's not a TNA story, but an Avengers story.
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4562431/1/Back_in_London

I'll try to update more often from now on..
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 15 Jan 2009, 20:15

Re: Fan fiction

Charm wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:You mean the author's notes? Oh, thank you, I didn't know if anyone was actually reading those! Yes, I promise there are more notes with my other fics.


I do read the author's notes, it often makes a story so much more interesting if you understand what the author had in mind while writing..

Anyway - I think you can have your own topic here as well if you want, for the unpublished (short) stuff you do not want to post on Fanfiction.net, I'm sure we'd all love to read it!


Thanks! I'm glad someone's reading the notes, and I believe some of the other shorts have them as well. A new topic might be best, so I'll start posting them one by one as soon as I've got a chance.

And I'll have to check in on your fic, too, Philippa!
Next

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred