Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Fan Videos

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Nov 2008, 22:45

Fan Videos

Here's the place to post New Avengers fan videos.
I made one today :)
Clicky clicky
Let me know what you think.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 23 Nov 2008, 23:10

Re: Fan Videos

I've got nothing to share alas, but I really do enjoy watching Avengers fan vids.. I love yours too btw, very well done.. :)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Jan 2009, 06:07

For those interested, I've just finished a TNA fanvideo, "When She Was Young," based around a song by the Killers. It basically revolves around the events in "Obsession," with Purdey remembering what she wanted and thought she had with Larry, and how her relationship with Gambit may tick more boxes than she's willing to admit. This song always made me think of Purdey, so I thought I'd give it a try. Pay attention to the lyrics on this one, as I always try to make them match the clips as best I could. I also used the sepia tone effect this time round, though youtube has made it all black and white. Oh well. You can find the video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mTQwg7Ab ... annel_page

Comments are much appreciated. Hope you enjoy!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 05 Jan 2009, 18:42

Amazing how the lyric fits this episode so well... Your best video so far I'd say, keep the good work up!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jan 2009, 21:36

Charm wrote:Amazing how the lyric fits this episode so well... Your best video so far I'd say, keep the good work up!

Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed it. The episode seemed to fit the song so well, I just had to do it. It was lots of fun to make, and gave me plenty of opportunity to indulge in Purdey/Gambit angst (the best kind!). The question is, will Purdey ever do anything about the "beautiful boy"...? :wub:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jan 2009, 16:09

That's brilliantly done Timeless! The song fits the video, and the whole story so well. I absolutely love it :heart:
Oh and the bits with Purdey and Larry do seem sepia to me and not black and white.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jan 2009, 16:30

Agree - it's clearly sepia to me, don't worry!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The question is, will Purdey ever do anything about the "beautiful boy"...? :wub:

Haha, well, that's actually what I love about the M/P thing. There's clearly some flirtation going on, but they're not in an actual relationship and that makes it all so much more fine.. I'm sure they'd have ended up if it was an American show though, I'm glad it isn't...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Jan 2009, 00:13

Charm wrote:Agree - it's clearly sepia to me, don't worry!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The question is, will Purdey ever do anything about the "beautiful boy"...? :wub:

Haha, well, that's actually what I love about the M/P thing. There's clearly some flirtation going on, but they're not in an actual relationship and that makes it all so much more fine.. I'm sure they'd have ended up if it was an American show though, I'm glad it isn't...

Philippa wrote:That's brilliantly done Timeless! The song fits the video, and the whole story so well. I absolutely love it
Oh and the bits with Purdey and Larry do seem sepia to me and not black and white.

Thanks so much! I'm glad you both enjoyed it (and that the colours turned out all right. Looking at it on this computer it does look sepia. It's just that the files were compressed three times and that always leads to a reduction in quality).

Purdey and Gambit are strange in that they have all the aspects of a relationship except the actual relationship, if you catch my meaning. They've seen and know things about each other that are quite intimate, and they're both jealous of anyone who catches the fancy of the other. It's obviously more entertaining to watch them flirt than in an actual relationship (I've written some post-series fiction that follows that line of thought, and I have to be very careful to let it no get too saccharine or--even worse--dull). However, because the characters do have a tendency to bicker like an old married couple, actually getting them together in some ways doesn't change the dynamic much, oddly enough. I have great affection for the Gambit character, who always seems to get the short end of the stick, so I've always wanted him to make it with Purdey. I think he'd be very good for her. She just needs to get past everything that's happened. Hence the song. I've come to the conclusion there's a Killers song for every occasion. I have a terrible urge to make a Life on Mars video.

There's your psychoanalysis of fictional characters for the day! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 07 Jan 2009, 10:49

Well I think your psychoanalysis is spot on!
It is true that they have every aspect of a couple, without actually being a couple. You can clearly tell when a man fancies Purdey, that Gambit's jealous. And the other way round if Gambit has a date, or is just eyeing a pretty girl, Purdey's definitely jealous and will make a comment about it or at least give him one of her 'looks' if you know what I mean.
I too love the Gambit character and I think it's a shame that we never got to know more about him, and that he just sort of was the 'legs and more athletic body' for Steed, because he had gotten a little older. It would've been interesting to have seen a more indepth episode about Gambit, I'm convinced he must've had some sort of mysterious and possibly dangerous past.
And as for the relationship issue, and I've said this before, the fact that they didn't get together in the series makes it interesting. Your point about making sure it doesn't get boring in fanfiction Timeless, is a very good one, because I think if they had brought Purdey and Gambit together as a couple in the series, it eventually would've become boring.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Jan 2009, 01:17

Philippa wrote:Well I think your psychoanalysis is spot on!
It is true that they have every aspect of a couple, without actually being a couple. You can clearly tell when a man fancies Purdey, that Gambit's jealous. And the other way round if Gambit has a date, or is just eyeing a pretty girl, Purdey's definitely jealous and will make a comment about it or at least give him one of her 'looks' if you know what I mean.
I too love the Gambit character and I think it's a shame that we never got to know more about him, and that he just sort of was the 'legs and more athletic body' for Steed, because he had gotten a little older. It would've been interesting to have seen a more indepth episode about Gambit, I'm convinced he must've had some sort of mysterious and possibly dangerous past.
And as for the relationship issue, and I've said this before, the fact that they didn't get together in the series makes it interesting. Your point about making sure it doesn't get boring in fanfiction Timeless, is a very good one, because I think if they had brought Purdey and Gambit together as a couple in the series, it eventually would've become boring.

Oh, I know the Purdey "look" well. She can sneer better than anyone. And Gambit's often at the receiving end. He manages to get his own back on occasion, though. In "Faces" you can tell she regrets going on about how attractive he was when she was playing Lolita, and that bit about Gambit being 1000x better than "Terry." The way she cries when she thinks he's been murdered speaks volumes. When Steed got shot in "K is for Kill" she listed off all his good personal traits--'good, honest' etc.--but with Gambit she runs off all hysterical and goes on about how he's dead and spits fire at "Terry." So she worries about him, and obviously cares about him, and doesn't approve of the 'little black book,' which all seems to add up to "I'm not yours, but you can't be anyone else's." The funny thing is Gambit puts up with it and acts guilty, even though he's not "cheating" by any stretch of the imagination. So again they're just about there, so you can do a lot with their relationship and leave the basics intact. It would be terribly dull if they hooked up on the show and spent three years or so like that, but I do wish we'd had three more seasons like Joanna and Gareth were signed for, and that perhaps in the final episode they'd gotten together, because face it, the way they flirt they either had to do something about it or move on. To stay that way forever would have been unrealistic. Alas, we were shorted.

I think Gambit had quite the past, too--we know he was in the Navy at 14, raced cars, and according to other literature was a major in the parachute regiment and worked as a mercenary. I've tried to incorporate all that into fic, but I do wish we'd gotten more from the actual show. I think Gambit, of anyone, would have the sort of past that could come back to haunt him. We had Tommy o'Hara in "The Gladiators" but they never expanded on that. More fic opportunities.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Mar 2009, 17:43

How did I miss your analyse?! I've been in quite a TNA mood lately, so I'm watching all the fan videos you've made once more, and they're really good. I don't think I've ever complimented you on the tribute to Purdey, did I? Well, I love it. (here ya go!)

Although I think the combination of the Avengers and the Killers is still my favourite - I think it's been months since I first listened to that song, and it's been on my iPod ever since, it's beautiful and it reminds me so much of the show... There's a Killers song for everything - there's also this track called 'Mr Brightside' which reminds me of Gambit so much:

I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it�s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Mar 2009, 02:58

Maartje wrote:How did I miss your analyse?! I've been in quite a TNA mood lately, so I'm watching all the fan videos you've made once more, and they're really good. I don't think I've ever complimented you on the tribute to Purdey, did I? Well, I love it. (here ya go!)

Although I think the combination of the Avengers and the Killers is still my favourite - I think it's been months since I first listened to that song, and it's been on my iPod ever since, it's beautiful and it reminds me so much of the show... There's a Killers song for everything - there's also this track called 'Mr Brightside' which reminds me of Gambit so much:

I just can't look its killing me
And taking control
Jealousy, turning saints into the sea
Swimming through sick lullabies
Choking on your alibis
But it�s just the price I pay
Destiny is calling me
Open up my eager eyes
'Cause I'm Mr Brightside.

You too? I've always associated Gambit with "Mr. Brightside," so much so that when I wrote "The Anniversary" in 2006, I actually had him apologise for "Not being Mr. Brightside this morning" when he turns up looking all tired and Purdey's gaping at him. To me it always sounds like the way Gambit would react if he ever caught Purdey and Steed together. I definitely have to agree there's a Killers song for every occasion. When I was co-writing "Berlin," I played Sam's Town a lot, and the song that really made me think of Purdey and Gambit in that one was "Bones." And I always think of Gambit when I hear "For Reasons Unknown," as well. But "When You Were Young" always screamed Purdey to me. Now I keep thinking how much "The World that we Live In" would suit a Life on Mars fanvid. (There are already a couple of really good ones, here:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl00iCWOAwM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?gl=CA&hl=en&v=m7q8cVF0MMU

I'm glad you like my fanvids, too. I'm not sure which one you mean by the Purdey tribute--"Purdey Don't Feel Like Dancin"? That's one of my favourites, because I love that Scissor Sisters song. Thanks for all the kind words. I try hard with the vids. Don't know when I'll make another.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Mar 2009, 16:03

Timeless A-Peel wrote:You too? I've always associated Gambit with "Mr. Brightside," so much so that when I wrote "The Anniversary" in 2006, I actually had him apologise for "Not being Mr. Brightside this morning" when he turns up looking all tired and Purdey's gaping at him.

Oh, I didn't even realise that! I absolutely love the Killers, their songs all got a different sound, and Mr Brightside has one of those lyrics I keep thinking about: it'd suit the show so very perfectly. I can see why Bones reminds you of the P/G relationship as well though, it's - again - such a strong lyric...

And yeah, I was talking about the video for I Don't Feel Like Dancing: it's a happy and quite cheerful song that somehow represents the kind of show the TNA was. Yeah, people got killed, but it was always very cheerful. (as Joanna herself said, haha)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:12

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:You too? I've always associated Gambit with "Mr. Brightside," so much so that when I wrote "The Anniversary" in 2006, I actually had him apologise for "Not being Mr. Brightside this morning" when he turns up looking all tired and Purdey's gaping at him.

Oh, I didn't even realise that! I absolutely love the Killers, their songs all got a different sound, and Mr Brightside has one of those lyrics I keep thinking about: it'd suit the show so very perfectly. I can see why Bones reminds you of the P/G relationship as well though, it's - again - such a strong lyric...

And yeah, I was talking about the video for I Don't Feel Like Dancing: it's a happy and quite cheerful song that somehow represents the kind of show the TNA was. Yeah, people got killed, but it was always very cheerful. (as Joanna herself said, haha)

Yep, go back and give it a read if you'd like. The lyrics really reflect Gambit, I find--I love finding songs that I can associate with characters. Whenever I make a fanvideo, I always try to make the lyric fit what's onscreen, as opposed to just throwing random clips together. More work, but also more satisfying. And the Killers have great lyrics. "Bones" worked so well for "Berlin" because Purdey and Gambit are just getting to know each other in that one, and are in a lot of danger at the same time, so it really fit that story (not so much the ones I've written, where they know each other very well). Because of this thread, I listened to all three of my Killers albums back to back last night while I took notes. :d

I loved making "Purdey Don't Feel Like Dancin'," because, like you say, it's such a bouncy, happy song, but also because the Scissor Sisters try to make everything sound seventies, so I thought it sounded like what Purdey and Gambit could dance to at the disco. And Purdey did a lot of dancing (there are also some good lines in there about a certain boy's two-step making her chest pound and such. What could I mean by that? :whistle: ) Nothing like a cheerful, happy show about people dying. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 23 Mar 2009, 17:30

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Whenever I make a fanvideo, I always try to make the lyric fit what's onscreen, as opposed to just throwing random clips together.

That's the point of a good fan video I think, but most people tend to forget that. I've made a couple of videos myself once too, and I always try to make the lyric fit with the clip playing. Random songs can sometimes just give you inspiration for a video, I've been thinking about putting a tribute for Joanna together, but I'm right now only in the process of selecting the right clips, haha.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:What could I mean by that?

Haha, I have no idea... :lol: You're right about the Scissor Sisters song though, it's very seventies: there's something very Saturday Night Fever-ish about it.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Nothing like a cheerful, happy show about people dying.

Haha, well, it was Joanna who said that, no me.. :whistle: I don't remember on which interview though, Parkinson maybe, or the FNP.. Ah well, gives me a good excuse to watch some of the old interviews she did!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Mar 2009, 20:19

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Whenever I make a fanvideo, I always try to make the lyric fit what's onscreen, as opposed to just throwing random clips together.

That's the point of a good fan video I think, but most people tend to forget that. I've made a couple of videos myself once too, and I always try to make the lyric fit with the clip playing. Random songs can sometimes just give you inspiration for a video, I've been thinking about putting a tribute for Joanna together, but I'm right now only in the process of selecting the right clips, haha.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:What could I mean by that?

Haha, I have no idea... :lol: You're right about the Scissor Sisters song though, it's very seventies: there's something very Saturday Night Fever-ish about it.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Nothing like a cheerful, happy show about people dying.

Haha, well, it was Joanna who said that, no me.. :whistle: I don't remember on which interview though, Parkinson maybe, or the FNP.. Ah well, gives me a good excuse to watch some of the old interviews she did!

Joanna said that when she was doing that video release with Gareth. She's sort of echoing what Brian Clemens said--when someone dies on the Avengers, you really can imagine the actor getting back up and going off to collect his paycheque. That's what's good about the show--it's not really lingering on death and destruction, although I find TNA is generally grimmer than the Emma/Tara years.

The Scissor Sisters have pretty much admitted they're meant to be a seventies glam rock band, with all the Bowie/Roxy Music/Bee Gees influences. I love them for it. Life on Mars got me into glam rock big time, and now I'm forever corrupted. :grin: I always want to make more TNA fan videos for it. I'd do "Paul McCartney," but I don't know that I could get exactly the right clips for the lyrics. Hope you have better luck with your Joanna vid.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Mar 2009, 23:18

Timeless A-Peel wrote:When I was co-writing "Berlin," I played Sam's Town a lot, and the song that really made me think of Purdey and Gambit in that one was "Bones."

I'm listening to the Sam's Town album a lot now (it's brilliant) and I was wondering... You didn't happen to base that 'uncle Johnny' line on the song right? I know the lyrics don't quit fit, but this suddenly came to my mind when I was listening to the album...

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's what's good about the show--it's not really lingering on death and destruction, although I find TNA is generally grimmer than the Emma/Tara years.

Oh absolutely - at least one or two people get killed every episode, but it doesn't seem to affect either of the three. That's what I often do find a bit unrealistic, remember the ''there goes one of the best friends I've ever had''? It doesn't seem as if Steed's too sad about the death of a close friend - of course the show must literally go on, but still...

Anyway - I really enjoyed your fan videos, so let me know as soon as you've finished making another one... :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 Mar 2009, 05:15

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:When I was co-writing "Berlin," I played Sam's Town a lot, and the song that really made me think of Purdey and Gambit in that one was "Bones."

I'm listening to the Sam's Town album a lot now (it's brilliant) and I was wondering... You didn't happen to base that 'uncle Johnny' line on the song right? I know the lyrics don't quit fit, but this suddenly came to my mind when I was listening to the album...

Timeless A-Peel wrote:That's what's good about the show--it's not really lingering on death and destruction, although I find TNA is generally grimmer than the Emma/Tara years.

Oh absolutely - at least one or two people get killed every episode, but it doesn't seem to affect either of the three. That's what I often do find a bit unrealistic, remember the ''there goes one of the best friends I've ever had''? It doesn't seem as if Steed's too sad about the death of a close friend - of course the show must literally go on, but still...

Anyway - I really enjoyed your fan videos, so let me know as soon as you've finished making another one... :wink:

No, I'm afraid my co-writer was the one who came up with the cover story idea of Steed being Gambit's dear, rich uncle, before I even jumped in, actually. But I don't blame you for thinking that! :d

I actually do think that deaths affect the TNA trio quite a bit in the series--they all look very grim when someone falls dead on them, and they often bring it up throughout the episode, particularly if it's significant. Gambit in particular seems to take it quite rough, Steed puts on a brave face, and Purdey looks a little lost. So quite a bit more of an impact than in the Emma/Tara years. But the difference is that by the end of the episode everyone's all right and smiling, and by the next episode it's as though it never happened, the exceptions being "Dead Men" and "Obsession" of course (two of the real punch to the gut episodes, those).

I don't know when I'm going to find time to make another fan video. I'm glad you liked the ones I've done so far, though! I do have one or two ideas, so when things settle down I might crack out Windows Movie Maker again.... :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Apr 2009, 13:18

Tilda can't watch the, Purdey: When She Was Young, video. It says: this video is not available in your country...

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Apr 2009, 19:32

Philippa wrote:Tilda can't watch the, Purdey: When She Was Young, video. It says: this video is not available in your country...

Hmm, I've never heard of that happening before. All I can say is that that video is under a copyright notice because it uses a Killers song, and therefore unlike my other videos youtube has the right to delete it or restrict access to it however they want on behalf of Universal Music, so I suspect that's why she's having problems. Tell her if she wants I'll upload the file somewhere where she can download it if she really wants to see it.
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Apr 2009, 19:39

Oh I see, well that is odd. Because we can all watch it, and we're all around the world..

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Apr 2009, 20:00

Philippa wrote:Oh I see, well that is odd. Because we can all watch it, and we're all around the world..

It is weird. I don't know where she's from, but everyone's got different restrictions. I'm guessing she can watch all the other ones, though?
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Apr 2009, 20:02

She's from Sweden.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Apr 2009, 20:10

Philippa wrote:She's from Sweden.

Really? Neat! Well, I'm sorry to say that I don't know what to do except make it available for download. I can only guess that Universal has some rights issue there with their music. :sad:
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Apr 2009, 16:55

I'm still really annoyed that YouTube muted my fanvideo, and only because I used a Blondie song. I was so proud of my video because it turned out quite nicely. I'm not happy :sad:

Next

Return to The New Avengers