Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Fashion

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 07 Mar 2012, 20:13

Fashion

It seems unbelievable, but we've somehow managed to go all this time without a thread on Purdey's (and Gambit's, and Steed's) fashion choices. Now, Purdey's wardrobe, by Avengers girl standards, is nothing to write home about, but she did have some good outfits. The reason I'm bringing this up now is that Liz Eggleston is currently selling a couple of Purdeyish outfits via her Vintage-A-Peel clothing business. One is the green outfit worn in Cat Amongst the Pigeons, and also a TNA photoshoot. All these years I've thought it was a dress, but it turns out it's a matching skirt/halter top combo! The things you learn.

http://www.vintage-a-peel.co.uk/dresses ... umley.html
http://emmapeelpants.blogspot.com/2012/ ... ender.html

This is such a major revelation, I want to write fic about it. Damn my paper. :lol:

The other is a Catherine Buckley skirt in the style of one Joanna wore in House of Cards. Catherine Buckley did a lot of Joanna's early Purdey clothes, so she made her one of these patch work skirts that were big at the time, with a high slit for movement.

http://www.vintage-a-peel.co.uk/separat ... skirt.html
http://emmapeelpants.blogspot.com/2012/ ... y-new.html
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Mar 2012, 00:30

Re: Fashion

That's brill! I love the flowery Purdey dress, it looked stunning on Jo. If only I had a spare 250 pounds :lol: Thanks Timeless!

Look what the description says:

{...} the one thing which might distract the world from your pudding-bowl haircut!

:lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Mar 2012, 12:49

Mara wrote:That's brill! I love the flowery Purdey dress, it looked stunning on Jo. If only I had a spare 250 pounds :lol: Thanks Timeless!

Look what the description says:

{...} the one thing which might distract the world from your pudding-bowl haircut!

:lolol:

It's a very iconic piece--probably one of Purdey's most recognisable since it was used in so much publicity. I don't know that any dress would be enough to distract from the Purdey bob, though. :lol:

I thought it was pretty neat. Glad you enjoyed. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Mar 2012, 21:38

Received a few mocking tweets from people saying that it's not actually the dress that Jo wore, but a copy. I thought the TNA ouftits were designed especially for her - is that even possible? :unsure:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Mar 2012, 23:05

Mara wrote:Received a few mocking tweets from people saying that it's not actually the dress that Jo wore, but a copy. I thought the TNA ouftits were designed especially for her - is that even possible? :unsure:

It's *not* the exact one Joanna wore, no. Lots of Joanna's Purdey outfits were designed especially for the character, but this one was bought "off the rack", so to speak--the one Liz is selling is one of many that were produced, none of which would have been "exclusive" to TNA. This looks to have been an outfit that was made in 1976, and someone in wardrobe (or Joanna herself) picked one up for Purdey. Sorry if I didn't make that clear, but Liz is quite clear in her listing that this one *wasn't* worn by Joanna herself. :unsure:

The skirt isn't one she wore, either--it's just a Catherine Buckley that was made in the same style as one Catherine made for Joanna.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Mar 2012, 00:45

Hm, guess I didn't read it well enough then - my fault. Lots of pieces were designed especially for Jo, and I sort of assumed this was one of them. I've never seen this this dress on Ebay before either. Ah well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway :whistle:

Oh, I also got a comment by someone who said ''love it, never going to fit!'' which kind of made me laugh. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Mar 2012, 13:13

Mara wrote:Hm, guess I didn't read it well enough then - my fault. Lots of pieces were designed especially for Jo, and I sort of assumed this was one of them. I've never seen this this dress on Ebay before either. Ah well, I wasn't going to buy it anyway :whistle:

Oh, I also got a comment by someone who said ''love it, never going to fit!'' which kind of made me laugh. :lol:

Oh, yes, many pieces were, especially at the start when Catherine Buckley was doing them. But remember that Catherine had to quit because she wasn't making clothes fast enough for the production schedule, so there may have been a few episodes between when she quit designing and when someone else stepped in where they had to fill the void by buying clothes "off the rack." Seeing as this one was being worn in May for the photoshoot, my guess is that was why it was purchsed--but I have no way of knowing for sure.

And yeah, I couldn't fit it either. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Sep 2013, 22:14

Here's a great shot of Joanna in the kimono she wore in To Catch a Rat. We didn't really see it very well in the episode, so it's nice to see it properly. The only publicity shot we have of it has it draped all over the floor, so this is the best up and down shot of it I've seen. A nice treat. ^^
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 07 Sep 2013, 12:17

Ooh that's a great shot. Thanks for sharing :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Sep 2013, 13:30

Philippa wrote:Ooh that's a great shot. Thanks for sharing :grin:

You're very welcome. ^^ It is indeed a great shot, and I hadn't seen it before, which was a bonus. :grin:

Speaking of TNA fashion, Piers Johnson completed a TNA fashion guide a month or two back which documents all the outfits of all three leads. It's lots of fun, and it's amazing how many little details you miss when you're watching. Have a look if you're interested:

http://www.dissolute.com.au/the-avenger ... rs-01.html
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Sep 2013, 13:17

Ooh, that fasion guide is brilliant! Someone has obviously put a hell of a lot of work into this.. Nice :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Sep 2013, 13:33

Mara wrote:Ooh, that fasion guide is brilliant! Someone has obviously put a hell of a lot of work into this.. Nice :yes:

The credit goes to good old Piers Johnson, whose site was the first Avengers site on the 'net, and is still updating it to this day. He's been planning a TNA fashion guide (to follow up the ones he did for Emma and Tara) for a couple of years now, and I've been waiting for it, so I was really thrilled when he finally put it together. It's a great resource, and it reminds you of all the outfits that only were briefly worn in one episode, and were easily forgotten as a result. You can spend a lot of time looking at all the pictures. :grin:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 01 Nov 2013, 05:17

Purdey's Wardrobe !

The cape from Hostage and a terrific pair of long beige boots in Medium Rare :thumb: Noticed in Faces Joanna in a pink dress at her ballet barre (Lolita) has wide shoulders ! She looks formidably sexy in the cape...just look at her beside Gambit :thumb:
Last edited by martyoreen on 27 Dec 2013, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 27 Dec 2013, 20:53

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Here's a great shot of Joanna in the kimono she wore in To Catch a Rat. We didn't really see it very well in the episode, so it's nice to see it properly. The only publicity shot we have of it has it draped all over the floor, so this is the best up and down shot of it I've seen. A nice treat. ^^

A brilliant shot :thumb: The one you mention ...draped all over the floor ...love to see a good quality pic. of it :worship:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Dec 2013, 14:34

martyoreen wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Here's a great shot of Joanna in the kimono she wore in To Catch a Rat. We didn't really see it very well in the episode, so it's nice to see it properly. The only publicity shot we have of it has it draped all over the floor, so this is the best up and down shot of it I've seen. A nice treat. ^^

A brilliant shot :thumb: The one you mention ...draped all over the floor ...love to see a good quality pic. of it :worship:

It's one of the most common TNA pictures of Joanna, so I don't have a link to it handy for that reason. But she's sitting on the floor, so most of the skirt is lying flat on the ground, and you can't see it very well. We don't get a very good look at it onscreen, either--we most see Joanna from the waist up. You can see the detail on the skirt in that shot, which is why it's notable.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Dec 2013, 05:48

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:

It's one of the most common TNA pictures of Joanna, so I don't have a link to it handy for that reason. But she's sitting on the floor, so most of the skirt is lying flat on the ground, and you can't see it very well. We don't get a very good look at it onscreen, either--we most see Joanna from the waist up. You can see the detail on the skirt in that shot, which is why it's notable.

ImageImage No sparing of material ...hangs so elegantly on Purdey :thumb: Beautiful combination of colours ... would love to have seen Purdey striding out wearing a pair of long green boots teamed with it :blush: (with Gambit of course ) :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Dec 2013, 14:44

martyoreen wrote: No sparing of material ...hangs so elegantly on Purdey :thumb: Beautiful combination of colours ... would love to have seen Purdey striding out wearing a pair of long green boots teamed with it :blush: (with Gambit of course ) :wink:

She wears black shoes with it in publicity shots, but again, we don't see it for long enough onscreen to see what she's wearing with it in the show. We only see it the once--clearly it's meant to be something casual Purdey can wear around the house, almost like a decorative housecoat. It wouldn't be very practical to wear out.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Dec 2013, 18:44

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote: No sparing of material ...hangs so elegantly on Purdey :thumb: Beautiful combination of colours ... would love to have seen Purdey striding out wearing a pair of long green boots teamed with it :blush: (with Gambit of course ) :wink:

She wears black shoes with it in publicity shots, but again, we don't see it for long enough onscreen to see what she's wearing with it in the show. We only see it the once--clearly it's meant to be something casual Purdey can wear around the house, almost like a decorative housecoat. It wouldn't be very practical to wear out.

I've never seen a housecoat anything near as classy as this :wink: and stockings and suspenders show, I thought, she had to be going out somewhere OR expecting Gambit to call round :thumb: I'd certainly prefer to see her wear it going out, than the suit she wore on her dinner date with Cromwell ...not 'accessorised' properly...ask Gambit :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Dec 2013, 14:50

martyoreen wrote:I've never seen a housecoat anything near as classy as this :wink: and stockings and suspenders show, I thought, she had to be going out somewhere OR expecting Gambit to call round :thumb: I'd certainly prefer to see her wear it going out, than the suit she wore on her dinner date with Cromwell ...not 'accessorised' properly...ask Gambit :whistle:

Yeah, well, this is Avengerland, where Steed hangs around his house wearing a suit all day--they don't exactly do sweats. :lol: I suspect she put on her stockings because she was getting ready to go out, but she would have traded the kimono for a different outfit before she did--it really does look like more of a robe. A bit too impractical to wear outside the house, particularly if there was a wind. :wink:

I really love the suit she wears on her date with Cromwell, though--it gets across that she's not planning on taking any nonsense from him. Purdey as a character had a slightly different role than the other Avengers girls because she had to be both the "girl" of the group, and be able to be "one of the boys", since she had two male colleagues. So she's very feminine in some ways, but she also cuts her hair short and wears trouser suits as well. The suit reflects that part of her character, one that Joanna was always keen to emphasise, as she wanted Purdey to be very tough and no-nonsense. She hated all the stocking shots, and fought them at every corner. She must have succeeded, because they disappeared in season 2.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jan 2014, 06:39

You'd think Gambit would have brought Steed up to date, given him that 'stylish' tracksuit Gambit is modelling ! :lol: Would have worn it still ('the kimono.') ..an overcoat is a great deterrent to the wind and stimulant to the imagination :wink: ImageImage Love your comments ...Purdey a no nonsense girl :thumb: Anyway if Purdey turned up, as she does here, poor Cromwell would have been totally distracted,
wouldn't have been able to eat his dinner :lol: Joanna has a matchless way of wearing jackets :thumb: Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Jan 2014, 14:45

martyoreen wrote:You'd think Gambit would have brought Steed up to date, given him that 'stylish' tracksuit Gambit is modelling ! :lol: Would have worn it still ('the kimono.') ..an overcoat is a great deterrent to the wind and stimulant to the imagination :wink: Love your comments ...Purdey a no nonsense girl :thumb: Anyway if Purdey turned up, as she does here, poor Cromwell would have been totally distracted,
wouldn't have been able to eat his dinner :lol: Joanna has a matchless way of wearing jackets :thumb:

I shudder to imagine the tracksuit onscreen, I really do. I didn't claim all seventies clothes were good--this is one of the bad exceptions to the rule. :lol:

Purdey being no-nonsense are Joanna's words, and always what she strived for with the character. She hated the fact that Purdey's wardrobe was so unconducive to the action scenes, and she really, really, really hated the stockings shots. She fought to get rid of them quite tenaciously, and I think by the time season 2 rolled around, she made some headway. She used to complain to Gareth as well, who'd commiserate because he didn't like taking his shirt off, either. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 04 Jan 2014, 07:08

Well, maybe Purdey would have been okay in the tracksuit ! Better than what she wore in The Lion and the Unicorn :lol: ImageNot a big fan of the stocking shots myself, with one exception :thumb: Image Gambit without a shirt ... could affect the viewers very badly ..if overdone... :lol: ImageJoanna in The Plank 1979 wears lovely red boots with and without ( bobby) socks :thumb: Certainly she could have added bobby socks, to go with the chestnut boots she wore in Faces, Target ,Gnaws ... :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jan 2014, 14:46

martyoreen wrote:Well, maybe Purdey would have been okay in the tracksuit ! Better than what she wore in The Lion and the Unicorn :lol: Not a big fan of the stocking shots myself, with one exception :thumb: Gambit without a shirt ... could affect the viewers very badly ..if overdone... :lol: Joanna in The Plank 1979 wears lovely red boots with and without ( bobby) socks :thumb: Certainly she could have added bobby socks, to go with the chestnut boots she wore in Faces, Target ,Gnaws ... :thumb:

Anything would be better than Purdey's Lion and the Unicorn outfit. I would quite happily swap it for the tracksuit any day. :lol:

I confess that I'm not adverse to Gambit without his shirt. :whistle: But I understand why Gareth wasn't comfortable with it.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jan 2014, 05:20

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Well, maybe Purdey would have been okay in the tracksuit ! Better than what she wore in The Lion and the Unicorn :lol: Not a big fan of the stocking shots myself, with one exception :thumb: Gambit without a shirt ... could affect the viewers very badly ..if overdone... :lol: Joanna in The Plank 1979 wears lovely red boots with and without ( bobby) socks :thumb: Certainly she could have added bobby socks, to go with the chestnut boots she wore in Faces, Target ,Gnaws ... :thumb:

Anything would be better than Purdey's Lion and the Unicorn outfit. I would quite happily swap it for the tracksuit any day. :lol:

I confess that I'm not adverse to Gambit without his shirt. :whistle: But I understand why Gareth wasn't comfortable with it.

Why wasn't Gambit comfortable with it ? Confess :lol: Purdey's outfit in Lion and the Unicorn certainly has a few who would take it out of her wardrobe :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jan 2014, 15:00

martyoreen wrote:Why wasn't Gambit comfortable with it ? Confess :lol: Purdey's outfit in Lion and the Unicorn certainly has a few who would take it out of her wardrobe :thumb:

There's no big story behind it--he just wasn't keen on it for the same reasons as Joanna. Gareth was always a bit bemused by the sex symbol thing, too--he didn't think he was classically good-looking, and pointed out his broken nose. Which only serves to make him more attractive, in my view. :lol:
Next

Return to The New Avengers