Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Favourite assignment

Your favourite assignment:

Assignment 1
20%
Assignment 2
60%
Assignment 3
No votes
Assignment 4
20%
Assignment 5
No votes
Assignment 6
No votes

Total votes : 5
<<

donttalkaboutmyfamily

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 14 Feb 2008, 09:48

Favourite assignment

first let me say that joanna lumley is beautiful as sapphire. and i love the intro to this show...sapphire and steel have been assigned (and with great graphics, lol)

assignment one was good, i liked the whole story about nursey rhymes causing the time trap. i love how sapphine changes her costume in different ages or whatever she did.

i think that assignment 2 was the best, if they even made a movie this would be the story to do, but the end with tully is kinda sad.

i also like assignment 3, its kinda a personal favorite because how the animals try to get reveage (being a vegetarian lol) or whatever the house was doing. i probably would have liked it better it that big gray lumpy thing wouldnt have tried to crawl out of the wall, lol but it was still good

assignment 4 was my least favorite, but i dont know why maybe b/c i dont watch this one too much. i did like how s&s got stuck in the photo

assignment 5 is my favorite b/c i love that agatha christie feel. and that there is alittle romance between s&s. and this one has my favorite line in it by joanna, when steel is asking who chose the name miles, he says he didnt but sapphire say, "yes you did" just the way she delivers it is funny to me

assignment six is really good, i think. buts its too sad for me being the last and that it never came back. its a love hate relationship with the ending, i dont like the feeling that they are stuck in time but then again not many series end like that. but i think this series ending was b/c of a writers strike, so ive heard

what does everone else think? :D that was quite a bit^
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Feb 2008, 23:16

i dunno, i've only seen epp 1 of the 1st assignment. but i really liked it :D
can't wait to see the rest!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 08 Mar 2008, 08:20

I'm currently on episode 2 of assignment 2 and it's definitely feeling SpOoKy :shock: :P I loved the first assignment. That kid Rob was such a little arse though!! I was like "dumbass, of course it's not your real father!! haven't you learnt anything from Sapphire and Steel?!" lol. But yeah, Jo is completely drop dead gorgeous as Sapphire :drool: She's just so yummy, eh?!! Always a new reason to adore the Lumster :wub:
No Room For Secrets
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Mar 2008, 13:37

i've seen assignment 1 & 2 and i loooove them both!
joanna looks soooo hot :wub: :drool:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 17 Mar 2008, 09:27

Mmm, damn straight Philly!! :wub: :blush: I'm only on episode 2 of assignment 2, but I'll catch up soon lol. I sooo WANT those boots Sapphire's wearing in assignment 2!!!:heart: They are soo cool! It really annoys me how Steel is such a miserable arse and that David McCallum is, MAYBE a 3, whilst Joanna is clearly a 10!!:D hehe
No Room For Secrets
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Mar 2008, 10:19

oh yeah those boots are hawt!!!!
i'm not a fan of steel either, he's a tit. but i saw an interview with him on youtube recently and david mccallum is actually quite nice.
but ofcourse nothing compared to the lumster :wub:

<<

donttalkaboutmyfamily

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 20 Mar 2008, 01:40

i loved those boots too. i have to say i love joanna's outfit in assignment three, its kinda cool
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jun 2008, 12:32

now that i've watched them all, i think assignment 5 is my favourite. i like the storyline, it's kinda weird, but they all are :lol:
i really liked the whole setting, the clothes (joanna looked fab as always). it was great :D

<<

Brooklyn Marcone

Donkey

Post 28 Jul 2008, 04:21

For me it's a tie between assignments 2, 3, and 5.
But honestly.. I loved them all! :D
<<

Philippa

Post 23 Aug 2008, 17:59

I recently re-watched all the assignments after buying the dvd's (YAY) and I'm sticking with assignment 5 as my favourite :D

<<

CurlyWurly

Target

Post 24 Aug 2008, 13:20

My favourite Assignment has to be 2, very scary & chilling. Poor Tully being sacrificed. I read somewhere that the creator/writer, P J Hammond was simply writing this Assignment week-to-week as they were filming it & he had no idea how he was going to finish it - hence why it's longer than other Assignments !

There's a fab S&S Livejournal community for anyone interested, lots of fanfics etc :-

http://community.livejournal.com/sapphirensteel/

Philippa - which DVD set did you buy ? I've got the UK Region 2 version that has released about 6 years ago in two volumes.

I understand the more recent Network release has special features, included a brief documentary which Joanna features in, there is a short clip on the website :-

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=500

And apparently the US release also has a different set of extras !
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Aug 2008, 17:54

CurlyWurly wrote:My favourite Assignment has to be 2, very scary & chilling. Poor Tully being sacrificed. I read somewhere that the creator/writer, P J Hammond was simply writing this Assignment week-to-week as they were filming it & he had no idea how he was going to finish it - hence why it's longer than other Assignments !

There's a fab S&S Livejournal community for anyone interested, lots of fanfics etc :-

http://community.livejournal.com/sapphirensteel/

Philippa - which DVD set did you buy ? I've got the UK Region 2 version that has released about 6 years ago in two volumes.

I understand the more recent Network release has special features, included a brief documentary which Joanna features in, there is a short clip on the website :-

http://www.networkdvd.net/product_info.php?products_id=500

And apparently the US release also has a different set of extras !

Oh wow I didn't know he wrote them week to week, that's really cool to know!
I've got the US release because I was in the US last month, and couldn't resist when I saw the dvd box at Barnes & Nobles ehehe.
Oh and thanks for the livejournal community link, I'm gonna check it out :D

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 12 Jan 2009, 07:19

Re: favorite assignment *may contain spoilers*

Now that I've seen all of the assignments, I'd have to say that my absolute favourite of all of them is Assignment 2. As has been mentioned already, it was the longest of the assignments and therefore kept us guessing for the longest period of time. That episode genuinely scared me in a lot of parts and I thought that was absolutely remarkable! I melted into a great big puddle of smush on the floor when Steel all of a sudden kissed Sapphire on the cheek. I was like :squee: :wub: :explode: :drool: :heart: :claps: :cloud9: :hypnose: hahaha..it was a great moment!! And I was SO freaked out when Sapphire's eyes went all black when "the darkness" was communicating to Steel through her!! And when it covered her face for a few seconds with that awful disease-type stuff, ICCKKK!!! :shock: :o I absolutely adored Tully though, he was SUCH a sweet old man!! lol. His fate at the end was so horrible!! You could tell that Sapphire was truly sad about the fact that he had to be sacrificed :cry: . But yeah, all in all I feel that assignment 2 brought the most to the table...including a steaming hot Joanna and those boots she wore in that episode, OMG gimme gimme gimme!!!! :worship: :wub: LOL
No Room For Secrets
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Jan 2009, 10:16

^I'm rewatching assignment 2 right now, and now I'm sure. It's my favourite assignment, closely followed by 5.
I'll have my long long long review about it in the assignment 2 thread later. But Laur, your emotions when Steel kissed Sapphire on the cheek x 100000000000 OMG I freaked completely. So sweet!!!
:wub: :heart: :cloud9: :squee: :grin: :claps: :drool: :explode:

<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2009, 07:04

heheheh thanks Philly!!!! :hug: Ahhhh, I know, that little peck on the cheek was just....sooooooooooooooo amazing!!!! :hypnose:

Sapphire ---> :smooch: <--- Steel

xxx :heart:

Oh yeah, I'll have to post all of my reviews for each assignment too haha!!
No Room For Secrets
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 16 May 2009, 10:21

Well, Assignment 2 is definitely the best one. But my favourite is Assignment 4. That "Destroy every photo of you and never have another taken" part at the end ... *shiver* Just imagine the Shape returning now, in the days of internet. Heavens, that guy would have a field day!
<<

Philippa

Post 16 May 2009, 10:29

Yes it is very scary. And you're right about the internet, everyone's pictures are all over it nowadays, so that would be seriously scary!

<<

Sapphire

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Post 17 May 2009, 19:01

*shivers at thought* ... I wonder what they'll do with the shape after the 70yrs under the sea are up.
And if it would be S&S who are sent out to take care of it again or if there'd be someone else doing it.

I like the assignment with the faceless man, but I always thought that Steel was too rude to Sapphire in it.
He's been demanding to her in every assignment, but in that one he was just mean. :( . When she breaks down and tells him she couldn't hold on to the time loop anymore and he just glares and walks away? Not caring at all ...

Nope, I like Assignment 2 better. :wink: .
"If you're the Sapphire that I'd grown to know, and to love..." *happy sigh*
A ballanced diet is a drink in each hand.
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 18 May 2009, 07:33

Re: Favorite Assignment *may contain spoilers*

Ah, yes, Steel can be quite the bastard, can't he? :) I guess that maybe he was kinda spooked by that Shape. Or had other matters on his mind. Maybe a previous assignment hadn't gone quite according to plan and he was determined not to let that happen again ... So many possibilities ...
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Jun 2010, 08:56

Re: Favourite assignment

Poll. Happy voting! ^^
<<

Philippa

Post 04 Jun 2010, 11:33

Voted :whistle:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 04 Jun 2010, 16:08

I think I'll need to wait awhile before I vote--I need more than 1.5 assignments to go on. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Jun 2010, 16:17

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I think I'll need to wait awhile before I vote--I need more than 1.5 assignments to go on. :lol:

So do I. But I thought it would be a nice add for those who have actually watched both series. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2010, 16:32

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I think I'll need to wait awhile before I vote--I need more than 1.5 assignments to go on. :lol:

So do I. But I thought it would be a nice add for those who have actually watched both series. :lol:

Definitely. And I'll come back and vote when I've seen the whole thing. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jun 2010, 18:00

I plunked for Assignment One in the end, though this was really hard. I could have easily gone for any of them, save for #3, which is clearly the weak link with the badly-executed plot point. I chose One because partly because it was my first, but also because I think it's the prototypical S&S episode--it has that cosy feel of suspense with the confined little set that feels warm and spooky at the same time. It keeps you guessing, the tension runs high, and things move around at a fair clip--there's not a lot of wasted time. Assignment 2 is also very good, but it's a little long so that ruins the pacing a little. Assignment 4 is also brilliant, but it goes the opposite way and feels a bit short--things don't have enough time to build up. Five would probably be my next choice, just missing it because it feels so different from the rest it's almost like a different show (but not in a bad way). Six is hurt by its ending and the fact that we were never meant to end things this way. So I think One will stick with me as the one with the warmest memories. But they were all great. :grin:
Next

Return to Sapphire & Steel