Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Favourite episodes!

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Jan 2009, 00:11

Favourite episodes!

My absolute fave is the X-mas special, Cold Turkey - I honestly nearly cried when I watched it for the first time cos I thought Pats had actually died.. :lol: The last scene is hilarious, but the one in the hospital does make me smile: it's one of those rare moments when they actually show some affection for each other. Besides, it has the best one-liners like the Gabon thing and Patsy's hilarious way of eating, lol.

Another one I absolutely love is Birthday - it was my introduction to AbFab, but I couldn't even bothered to watch the full episode at first.. It took me some time, but once I had watched them doing their sad karaoke performance, I loved it.

And of course we can't forget Fish Farm, series four: we won't get fooled again! :lolol: Joanna's fabulous Marilyn Manson impression and Eddie's struggle to handle a date, haha! I think I like series 4 most, cos it simply has the best episodes in it, and whole thing is still quite modern. (like the name of celebs they're using and references to popular trends...) I could talk for ages about my fave episodes cos I generally just love the show, haha!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jan 2009, 01:08

Re: Fave episodes!

Ooohh favourite episodes, that is so hard!! Because frankly I love them all :lol:
I love series 4 too, although apparently some people say it's the weaker series. I don't see why though.
I love love love Menopause, and Fish Farm in series 4. Menopause is just one big package of one-liners. Absolutely brilliant! I love Ruby Wax's part in it as Beth de Woody, and the dream sequence at the end with Pats and Mick Jagger's sperm is just hilarious :lol:
Jo as mosh queen and Eddie with her Marilyn Manson t-shirt is just fabulous in Fish Farm, and Patsy hiding under the sofa is a great piece of comedy, with Eddie's inflatable bra!
Other favourites are definitely The Last Shout, Happy New Year, France, Morocco, Parralox, Huntin' Shootin' Fishin', and Cold Turkey.
Oh man I could talk about my favourite episodes for hours on end, since I practically know all of them by heart and have watched them a kazillion times :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 10 Jan 2009, 13:08

Philippa wrote:Oh man I could talk about my favourite episodes for hours on end, since I practically know all of them by heart and have watched them a kazillion times :wub:

Haha, me too and that's why I've created this topic.. :grin: You mentioned a couple of the episodes I find less funny (they're still great though, cos I obviously love the whole show) like Morocco and the Last Shout. That's the weaker special to me, together with White Box.. I'll make a topic about the best/weaker series too, since I could talk about that for aaaages as well... Anyway anyway anyway - how about 'the End' of series three? Pats in NY (''the giant fruit'', ''the city that only sleeps twice''), the scene of Pats on the roof with her voddie bottle and ciggie, Eds who comes to pick her up.. (''EDDIE? YEAH BABE!") Best scene e-v-e-r, and especially admirable cos the both of them were obviously scared, but managed to turn it into something absolutely brilliant and probably the most legendary scene in AbFab.

Another fave is the 'Poor' episode, the bit were Pats 'n Eds are driving in Edina's car, looking for the supermarket, singing and drinking.. I cried when I first watched that scene, and I still completely crack up by the look of Jo trying to get out of the car.. There are so many great episodes, it's hard to pick a few favourites (cos I obviously love all of 'em) so this was just a small selection..
<<

Philippa

Post 10 Jan 2009, 13:49

Pats on top of the sky scraper in New York can easily be called legendary! It's just an amazing piece of film, apart from it being extremely funny!
And Edina's rant in court in 'Poor' is just so brilliant, actually quite non-Edina and very Jennifer.
Why not have a stupidity tax, just tax the stupid people!!
Absolutely brilliant :lolol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

mond257

Target

Post 12 Jan 2009, 01:33

ahh I agree, soooo hard!!

I think death and fat are my favs, but to be honest, I'm rubbish with puttin the episode to the episode name, so I could be completely wrong!! oh god, call myself a fan ahaha

oooh love the one where Eds and Pats get locked in the emergency room thing

and agree with Phil, love series 4, I think partly because I love listening to the commentary. they should soooooo ahve done that for all yhe serieseseses
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Jan 2009, 08:22

mond257 wrote:oooh love the one where Eds and Pats get locked in the emergency room thing

Panickin' darling. :D I love that one too: ''the lip...'' and ''big mother speaking'', make me laugh so hard..
<<

AbFabLaur89

Administrator

Post 13 Jan 2009, 08:05

Maartje babe, you totally beat me to it with Cold Turkey as your fave ep, coz it's mine too!! :party: :wub: Yeah, that episode just has everything (and everyONE!) that a superb, rock solid sitcom should have - side-splitting hilarity, originality, variety, and (almost exclusive to this episode) real emotion. That last element there, the real emotion, is why Cold Turkey is my favourite episode of Ab Fab, hands down. The scene when Eddy and Saffy arrive at the hospital and hear the nurse say "Ms. Stone passed away last night..." the look of shock on her face and how she chokes up almost immediately is so fantastically written and acted out by Jen. Then when they actually reach the hospital room and you hear Eddy's voice crack because you know she's about to burst into tears is just absolutely heart-wrenching!! :( And then the relief that you see and hear in Eddy's reaction when Pats emerges from the bathroom, saying "Come to take me home?" with that big smile on her face, is so triumphant! Omg and then my favourite moment of that episode (hell, probably of the entire series run) when Eddy just embraces Patsy and then steps back and looks up into her eyes, holding her hands around her face, so protectively :wub: :wub: :wub: I seriously die every time I see it. And then, as the ultimate cherry on top, Patsy's "Merry Christmas" to Saffy is just SO incredibly adorable!!!! :heart: And you'll notice that, all the while during the hospital scenes up until Patsy appears, there is no audience noise at all..it's absolutely silent. That is SO uncommon for Ab Fab. Usually there is nothing BUT uncontrollable laughter from the audience, so to hear utter silence is just plain freaky for Ab Fab...but also fucking brilliant. Massive props and worship to Jen, of course. She IS the master :worship: And I mean, every major character from the entire series was present in that episode, and for Christmas no less!! Eddy, Pats, Saff, Justin, Bo, Marshall, Gran, Bubble, and John from Gabon!! It totally warmed my heart lol :heart: Ohhhh, another one of my fave lines from that ep, "Oh, you tawt dat she was a man!" ..."That may well explain it!" LMAO!!! :lolol: But yeah, A+'s all around for this truly AB FAB episode! :grin:

If I had to choose a second fave, it would definitely have to be Gay. This episode is just so damn much fun and it makes me laugh so hysterically, I sometimes wonder how I survive after watching it!! :lol: The outfits, the scenarios, getting to FINALLY see Serge, NEW YORK CITY!!! :heart: It's another stroke of pure Saunders Ab Fabby genius, the whole episode!! :claps: I mean, where to start with this one?! For that matter, where to end with it?! It's just too fabulous for words! I think the Whoopi Goldberg scenes have definitely gotta be my faves though! "Is that my office?!" ROTFLMAO Philly!!! :lolol: Oh man, just too amazing!! And Bubble with the Post-It's on her face and then that ridiculous tazer dog collar HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! "What happened there?"..."I dunno, you clapped!" :P
No Room For Secrets
<<

Philippa

Post 09 May 2009, 23:52

I feel tempted to make a top 5 or a top 10, but I don't know if I can. I mean, I wouldn't know where to begin, all the episodes are fantastic!

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 May 2009, 23:59

Haha, I know, it's hard right? :lol: They're all great! I'm gonna think about this for a while, but I'm pretty sure I can make a top 5.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 10 Nov 2009, 23:32

Re: Favorite episodes!

My favourite is Explotin. :happy:

Becka.
xx
<<

lauraa

Target

Post 11 Nov 2009, 16:40

Re: Favorite episodes!

Omg I love all your choices - its way too hard to choose lol
I love Cold Turkey, cause of the 'Is he from Gabon' and the hospital scene because its just to cute the way Eddie goes up to Patsy and the 'merry christmas' to Saffy
And I love Birthday cause that was the first episode I ever watched of Ab Fab and the singing at the end always makes me laugh :lol: and Patsy entrance is just fab!
But my favorite is Fish Farm because theres not a bit in it I dont like and It always cheers me up :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 May 2010, 22:12

Re: Favourite episodes!

Now that I have put together my New Avengers top five, I somehow feel like I should attempt to list my favourite AbFab episodes. Mission impossible as, quite frankly, I love them all. So I'm not going with a top 5, but a top 10 this time.

1. Cold Turkey (special) - The good old Chrismas special. I still watch it every year around Christmas times about once or twice because it really gets me in the right mood.
2. Fish Farm (series 4) - Bonus points for Joanna's Marilyn Manson impersonation, even though she didn't have the foggiest idea who he was.
3. Poor (series 3) - It has me in tears from the opening till the tag scene. ''I'm taking my friend to hospital. She's sick!"
4. Birthday (series 1) - The first very episode I watched. Patsy and Eddie's karaoke performance still gets me.
5. Birth (series 1) - Because it simply has the best Patsy rant ever: abort, abort, abort! (''and bring me a knitting needle!'')
6. Gay (special) - We finally get to see Serge! Plus, Debbie Harry made a cameo in this one.
7. France (series 1) - Just because of the scene in the chateau. Great outtakes, best drunk act on the set of AbFab ever performed. (''someone has taken the steering wheel!'')
8. Huntin', Shootin', Fishin' (series 5) - One of the very few episodes of series 5 I really enjoyed I'm afraid. The pheasant makes up for it.
9. Donkey (series 4) - Poor Edina, still struggling with her weight years after. I love Jane Horrocks in this episode.
10. Death (series 2) - Joanna's epic fail into that grave, the great quotations... Not the best of episodes, but definitely enjoyable.
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 May 2010, 22:31

I love your Top 10 choices Mara. Let me think about mine overnight- this is way tricky!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 May 2010, 22:32

Laura wrote:I love your Top 10 choices Mara. Let me think about mine overnight- this is way tricky!

I suprised myself actually - I had my top ten written down in no time. I basically just tried to sum up the episodes I've watched most often and still tend to put on every time I watch Absolutely Fabulous. That's probably the quickest way to do it. :lol:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 02 May 2010, 22:59

I love your choices Mara. :hug:

I think I will have to think of mine over night and let you know in the morning. :smooch:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 15:54

Mine are Doorhandle, Cold Turkey and Birth, I think. Actually it's too hard to choose since I haven't watched them as often as you did (probably) but they are all fab!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 May 2010, 15:59

LunaFive wrote:Mine are Doorhandle, Cold Turkey and Birth, I think. Actually it's too hard to choose since I haven't watched them as often as you did (probably) but they are all fab!

That coule be true. I'd strongely advise you to get a life instead of watching each and every AbFab episode for over twenty times though. :lolol:

You've picked three great ones though - I really adore Doorhandle because it's so absurd. I'm so glad others are enjoying the old episodes as much as I do actually.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 03 May 2010, 16:29

My Top Ten :happy: :happy:

1) Exploitin - Series 5
2) The Last Shout - Special
3) Fish Farm - Series 4
4) Birthin - Series 5
5) Fear - Series 3
6) Gay - Special
7) Cold Turkey - Christmas Special
8) Small Opening - Series 4
9) Poor - Series 2
10) Birthday - Series 1

:grin:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 May 2010, 16:33

^ Excellent choices. I'm still debating mine. Head is filled with 24 hour news academia instead of useful stuff like Ab Fab quotes!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 04 May 2010, 06:05

Mara wrote:
LunaFive wrote:Mine are Doorhandle, Cold Turkey and Birth, I think. Actually it's too hard to choose since I haven't watched them as often as you did (probably) but they are all fab!

That coule be true. I'd strongely advise you to get a life instead of watching each and every AbFab episode for over twenty times though. :lolol:

Oh no, that would mean I would miss all the fun, no way! :lmao:

Mara wrote:You've picked three great ones though - I really adore Doorhandle because it's so absurd. I'm so glad others are enjoying the old episodes as much as I do actually.

I agree, it's so absurd and that's the brilliance of it.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

gelsomina

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 07 May 2010, 04:51

I think my favorite episode is probably Fear (Season 3), because for all the complete wackiness ("Don't EVER make me a cup of TEA" is one of my favorite quotes of the whole series) I think it actually injects some tragedy into the comedy, when you realize how fragile all the bonds between these characters are. The fact that they can be stoned out of their minds together on the bathroom floor one second, and ready to break off all contact with each other the next (just based on some random whim of Eddy's), really made me think about how I viewed the characters. Of course they reunite and all is well, but Fear was just kind of the episode that made me question who these people are. I think it's important for a comedy to balance all the comedic moments with ones that are genuinely poignant - something which AbFab does extremely well. Oh I love it so!

I sort of have a problem with Cold Turkey though. I didn't really like how it sort of explained Patsy, by having her talk about how she lost the only man she ever loved. I don't know why, that just seemed to make Patsy more human - by giving her a reason for being "Patsy". I like her better as some freakish creature that skulks around their house and burns through the world's tobacco... Probably just me though?
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 07 May 2010, 08:27

gelsomina wrote:("Don't EVER make me a cup of TEA" is one of my favorite quotes of the whole series)

Yep that quote is fantastic. :happy: I totally agree with what you said.
<<

gelsomina

Post 07 May 2010, 16:41

bexyshortcake wrote:
gelsomina wrote:("Don't EVER make me a cup of TEA" is one of my favorite quotes of the whole series)

Yep that quote is fantastic. :happy: I totally agree with what you said.

Haha I wish I knew why I love it so much!! It's so weird but so fantastic :)
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 07 May 2010, 16:43

I think it is just the way she say's at and she is like looking Eddie (Jen) right in the eye's. :happy:
<<

gelsomina

Post 07 May 2010, 16:58

Maybe the only time that Patsy has been stoned into seriousness? :D
Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous