Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Favourite Quotes

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Jun 2009, 02:24

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:G: What could YOU do for me? Well, first of all I'd like to go over the school records, list of all the old boys...
P: And second?
G: Take you to dinner, and then go somewhere for a nice, quiet drink?
P: Like your place, Mr Gambit?
G: The service there is highly recommended.
P: How well do you mix a Martini?

Now, one thing... You don't mix Martini, you have it pure! But otherwise: brilliant scene. :hearteyes:


Horrors! Penny and Mike have got their alcohol wrong! Bad Brian Clemens. (I don't drink, so they had me totally fooled). But doesn't the whole shaken-not-stirred thing count as mixing?

Penny and Gambit are great fun, though. My favourite bit is when the headmaster walks in while they're lying on the floor. They look like they're both 15 and lying around reading comics or something.

"Ah, headmaster! It's not what it looks like. Unfortunately."

See Gambit the working-class boy get a jab in on the establishment. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Jun 2009, 07:24

Re: Favourite Quotes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Horrors! Penny and Mike have got their alcohol wrong! Bad Brian Clemens. (I don't drink, so they had me totally fooled). But doesn't the whole shaken-not-stirred thing count as mixing?


Hm well, you can mix it, but I personally think it's a waste of alcohol - Gambit should agree with me on this one! (that's why I'm suprised his answer is ''well enough'') He'd probably go for something stronger anyway. :lol:

The two of them lying on the floor... Haha! It's funny though - we do often see Gambit flirt with other women, but hardly ever do we get to see the dinner dates in the actual episodes. I bet you've enjoyed that scene in his apartment too - didn't you? :whistle: Eye candy!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Jun 2009, 16:54

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Horrors! Penny and Mike have got their alcohol wrong! Bad Brian Clemens. (I don't drink, so they had me totally fooled). But doesn't the whole shaken-not-stirred thing count as mixing?


Hm well, you can mix it, but I personally think it's a waste of alcohol - Gambit should agree with me on this one! (that's why I'm suprised his answer is ''well enough'') He'd probably go for something stronger anyway. :lol:

The two of them lying on the floor... Haha! It's funny though - we do often see Gambit flirt with other women, but hardly ever do we get to see the dinner dates in the actual episodes. I bet you've enjoyed that scene in his apartment too - didn't you? :whistle: Eye candy!


That does sound wrong, then. But you're probably right--I think Gambit goes in for something stronger. He's a Scotch man, I think (I know that's what he carries in his flask, so I assume that's his tipple of choice). Which is sort of ironic, since he's Irish and Welsh, not Scottish at all. :lol:

You're right--we hardly ever see the follow-through of Gambit's dates. Sometimes we hear him make one, like with the German girl in The Eagle's Nest, and once we actually see that blonde already at his flat, so presumably they're getting to the end of their date, but other than Penny, the only one we see with him afterwards is Dr. LeParge from K is for Kill. Never thought of that. You can tell they wanted to stick more of Penny in, though, and why not? She works great with Mike. She knows how to be saucy right back at him. She even tends to his war wounds (instead of just giving him a look for playing up the wounded hero bit, the way Purdey would) and is more than happy to go for a sandwich. I'm thinking Penny stuck around with Gambit for a bit.

Who, me? No, I never look forward to seeing Gambit with his shirt off. It's not as though I know exactly which three episodes to look for, either. Whatever gave you that idea? :whistle: :rolleyes:

(But he looks pretty darn good, don't you think? For someone that slim, the weight training kicked in awfully well. All right, I admit it, Gambit was my first TV crush. Can you see why? :hearteyes: )
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Jun 2009, 17:46

Re: Favourite Quotes

I can definitely see why :hearteyes:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Jun 2009, 21:57

Re: Favourite Quotes

Timeless A-Peel wrote:All right, I admit it, Gambit was my first TV crush. Can you see why? :hearteyes:


Do I really need to answer that question, still? :wub:

And yes, you're right about Penny - she's a good match for Gambit. But still - she ain't no Purdey, he'd probably never care about someone else as much as he cared about her. But hey, the guy's just enjoying himself in the meantime, you can't blame him for that, can you?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Jun 2009, 05:18

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:All right, I admit it, Gambit was my first TV crush. Can you see why? :hearteyes:


Do I really need to answer that question, still? :wub:

And yes, you're right about Penny - she's a good match for Gambit. But still - she ain't no Purdey, he'd probably never care about someone else as much as he cared about her. But hey, the guy's just enjoying himself in the meantime, you can't blame him for that, can you?


I love Gambit for many reasons, even when he doesn't have his shirt off. But it doesn't hurt. :wink:

No, Purdey's hard to beat for a Gambit match, but Penny's a good second. Gambit's too wrapped up with Purdey-girl to really think seriously about anyone, but while he's waiting, Purdey can't just expect him to sit around and twiddle his thumbs, can she? :whistle:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Jun 2009, 11:59

Re: Favourite Quotes

From the Tale of the Big Why:

G: Hold it, hold it... I'm back in a prison cell.
P: Well, sometimes I think you ought to be.

Sweet one, isn't she? :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Jun 2009, 17:05

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:From the Tale of the Big Why:

G: Hold it, hold it... I'm back in a prison cell.
P: Well, sometimes I think you ought to be.

Sweet one, isn't she? :lol:


She has such faith in the goodness of his background. Then again, he was in the navy, so maybe she's justified. :rolleyes:

I sort of wish they'd shown Gambit in his cell more. I think that would have been really interesting, but it probably would have slowed the plot down.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Jun 2009, 20:08

Re: Favourite Quotes

P: Food! I need food. Now.

- couple of scenes later, at a food stall down the road -

P: *while eating a sandwich* Is this one of your favorite restaurants? I suppose you bring all your girlfriends here. *tries to get attention from cook* Did he book?

Haha, poor Purdey, and it gets even worse after that:

G: Purdey?!
P: Excuse me, I've been noticed.

:lmao: But hee, did you notice she says ''all his girlfriends'', stressing all? :brows:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Jun 2009, 21:43

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:P: Food! I need food. Now.

- couple of scenes later, at a food stall down the road -

P: *while eating a sandwich* Is this one of your favorite restaurants? I suppose you bring all your girlfriends here. *tries to get attention from cook* Did he book?

Haha, poor Purdey, and it gets even worse after that:

G: Purdey?!
P: Excuse me, I've been noticed.

:lmao: But hee, did you notice she says ''all his girlfriends'', stressing all? :brows:


Oh yeah :brows:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 14 Jun 2009, 05:30

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:P: Food! I need food. Now.

- couple of scenes later, at a food stall down the road -

P: *while eating a sandwich* Is this one of your favorite restaurants? I suppose you bring all your girlfriends here. *tries to get attention from cook* Did he book?

Haha, poor Purdey, and it gets even worse after that:

G: Purdey?!
P: Excuse me, I've been noticed.

:lmao: But hee, did you notice she says ''all his girlfriends'', stressing all? :brows:


Awww, does Purdey want to be counted as a girlfriend? Or is she testing him out to see how well he'll feed her if they ever get together..? :lol:

(I love this scene, btw. Purdey with that big sandwich in her hand never fails to make me smile).
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 14 Jun 2009, 11:42

Re: Favourite Quotes

It's a brilliant scene, since she's more amused than actually angry, because deep down, she probably doesn't care where he takes her, as long as she is with him. But it does look rather ridiculous though: Purdey eating a sandwich in her lovely evening dress.

Best scene in the whole episode! :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 14 Jun 2009, 16:48

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:It's a brilliant scene, since she's more amused than actually angry, because deep down, she probably doesn't care where he takes her, as long as she is with him. But it does look rather ridiculous though: Purdey eating a sandwich in her lovely evening dress.

Best scene in the whole episode! :wink:


She also wants to be fed more than anything. Food is important to Purdey--she eats a lot! And she's used to Gambit keeping her fed, usually at better places than that. :lolol: She does find it a bit funny ("Did he book?"), but she'd be enjoying herself even more if she got some attention out of old Mike. Figures, eh? The one time she actually wants him to take her out somewhere fancy, and maybe play a little footsie under the table, Gambit's too distracted with the case to take her up on it. Now that's dedication! Who said Gambit didn't care about his work? :wink:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Jun 2009, 16:55

Re: Favourite Quotes

It muts be a hell of a big case for it to distract Gambit from taking Purdey out for a proper dinner :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 14 Jun 2009, 17:04

Re: Favourite Quotes

Philippa wrote:It muts be a hell of a big case for it to distract Gambit from taking Purdey out for a proper dinner :lol:


Life and death! (Steed's, in particular. He owes Gambit "take Purdey out to dinner" money :wink: ).
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 29 Jul 2009, 18:05

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:Another of my faves, from Target:

''You do like me a little then?''
''I like you a lot. But then again, I like Beethoven a lot.''


''The difference is, he's dead. And I'm very much alive.''
''But you're playing in the wrong key!''

I watched this episode today (TV trash in front of the telly...) and I only just realized what she means. I must have seen this episode a dozen of times, how silly am I?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Jul 2009, 18:21

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:
Maartje wrote:Another of my faves, from Target:

''You do like me a little then?''
''I like you a lot. But then again, I like Beethoven a lot.''


''The difference is, he's dead. And I'm very much alive.''
''But you're playing in the wrong key!''

I watched this episode today (TV trash in front of the telly...) and I only just realized what she means. I must have seen this episode a dozen of times, how silly am I?


George really is persistent, isn't he? See, Gambit never has a problem keeping his hands to himself. But Purdey's very good at taking care of herself. :whistle:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 07 Aug 2009, 23:23

Re: Favourite Quotes

P: They'll probably kill us, won't they?
S: I do fear they have something rather permanent in mind, yes.

I love Steed's remarks in this episode - ''rule Britannia'', haha. :lol:
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 08 Aug 2009, 04:47

Re: Favourite Quotes

Love the moment with "Rule Britania" too ! :lol:
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Aug 2009, 09:44

Re: Favourite Quotes

Just the way he says 'Rule Britannia' and the face he pulls. Priceless :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Aug 2009, 16:53

Re: Favourite Quotes

Philippa wrote:Just the way he says 'Rule Britannia' and the face he pulls. Priceless :lol:


It's so hopeful, and slightly apologetic. "Rule Britannia?" As in, "Please don't kill me. I'm just being patriotic." No one can deliver a line like Patrick. :lmao:
<<

Joris

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 264

Joined: 20 Jul 2009, 18:48

Location: France

Post 08 Aug 2009, 18:19

Re: Favourite Quotes

I like it because it's typically British, even in dangerous situations (Like being with neo-nazis here) Steed has always something to say, something hilarious. ^^
This dear old Steed ! ^^
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 01 Sep 2009, 00:11

Re: Favourite Quotes

G: ''But it's not what you think. Unfortunately. Yet...''

I'm doing a bit of a rewatch of all my favorite Gambit scenes, I love that guy... :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 01 Sep 2009, 00:42

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:G: ''But it's not what you think. Unfortunately. Yet...''

I'm doing a bit of a rewatch of all my favorite Gambit scenes, I love that guy... :lol:


Love that line. Love that scene. Gambit and Penny lying on the floor having a bit of a chuckle is priceless. Gambit's quite willing to have fun of the more innocent sort, too. Doesn't mean he can't like the other kind as well. :whistle:

Gareth really did a marvelous job with him, sneaking lots of little humourous bits in, and always doing something even when the scene wasn't focussed on him. I pretty much watch the whole series for favourite Gambit scenes! They're most of what I look for! :lol: But really, there's loads of fun to be had with his character, and if you watch him the whole time you'll find lots of little extras you've never seen before. Never seen an actor who does so much silently with just his expression as Gareth does. I love Mike dearly, but then you knew that, right? :wub:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Sep 2009, 18:25

Re: Favourite Quotes

Oh, absolutely - he did a great job. You can definitely tell TNA was Joanna's first ''big one''. She still had so much to learn about acting, and it's amazing how much she improved over the years. But the guys did a great job, and it worked. I love TNA, and I love reading all Jo's memories about filming and promoting the series back then.

''Don't look at me like that. I tipped you out of bed, not into it.''

:lol: Epic. Can you imagine Steed saying such a thing to Emma?! That's what I liked about Gambit, he's less gentleman like, and one hell of a womanizer.
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred