Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Favourite Quotes

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Sep 2009, 18:57

Re: Favourite Quotes

Maartje wrote:Oh, absolutely - he did a great job. You can definitely tell TNA was Joanna's first ''big one''. She still had so much to learn about acting, and it's amazing how much she improved over the years. But the guys did a great job, and it worked. I love TNA, and I love reading all Jo's memories about filming and promoting the series back then.

''Don't look at me like that. I tripped you out of bed, not into it.''

:lol: Epic. Can you imagine Steed saying such a thing to Emma?! That's what I liked about Gambit, he's less gentleman like, and one hell of a womanizer.

I think Joanna handles herself very well in TNA. She certainly proved she had a brain in her head, as opposed to what Mary Selway thought. She was certain Joanna would be awful because she had been a model, and was just playing at acting. I love reading Jo's memories as well--she always has lots to say about TNA's filming, particularly about Gareth because they spent so much time together. I love that she was quick to point out when he died that Gareth "was a very good actor" who had loads of impressive theatre credentials before TNA--and indeed during TNA! He was actually still doing theatre work while doing the first part of season one, just like Diana Rigg. So he really was terrific.

No, Steed would definitely never tip Emma out of bed--and if he made a joke about it, it wouldn't be that one! :lolol: Gambit isn't meant to be Steed, so he's not as suave or polished, but he's not ashamed of the way he is, either, and that makes him even more attractive. And yes, he likes the ladies, but he's also willing to be very loyal to one particular lady, if she'd only give him a chance...Gareth gave Gambit more dimensions than people give him credit for. He wasn't just a James Bond action man clone--he had a sweet, vunerable, funny side, and he fleshed that out onscreen.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 20 Sep 2009, 00:42

What more can I add? Yes to all the above! You keep amaze me with your long posts Timeless. :wink: What I love about the show is that I keep finding new things, whether it be lines, facial expressions, body language... Great!

Here's one in the category ''Purdey and Gambit are having another of their old married couple moments'':

''What did you do that for? I was winning!''
''Winning?! If you had ''won'' anymore, you wouldn't have been able to stand up!''

:lolol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Sep 2009, 00:49

Ahahaha
Oh I know many people don't appreciate Emily, but I just love it :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Sep 2009, 00:51

Maartje wrote:What more can I add? Yes to all the above! You keep amaze me with your long posts Timeless. :wink: What I love about the show is that I keep finding new things, whether it be lines, facial expressions, body language... Great!

Here's one in the category ''Purdey and Gambit are having another of their old married couple moments'':

''What did you do that for? I was winning!''
''Winning?! If you had ''won'' anymore, you wouldn't have been able to stand up!''

:lolol:

Thank you! *bows* I'm wordy. It's what I do. :lol:

I find new things in TNA all the time, mostly because Gareth (but also Jo) have a habit of doing things even when the camera isn't focussing on them, throwing in lots and lots of little smiles, glances, "eye-talk" as one of my fanfic buddies would put it, and, as you say, body language.

I love that scene, too, plus the follow-up, where Purdey says "Gambit" in a "I know you too well for that" flirty little way, and smiles at him like that. She sees right through him and has a little giggle about it, and Gambit knows he's not fooling her for an instant. They know each other so well, but there's a little fondness on Purdey's part. Yep, old married couple ahoy! :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Sep 2009, 16:06

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love that scene, too, plus the follow-up, where Purdey says "Gambit" in a "I know you too well for that" flirty little way, and smiles at him like that.

Oh, I know that look too well - typical Purdey! That reminds me... What does one do when being on a secret mission while driving in France? Exactly, play a game of I spy with my little eye:

''I spy with my little eye... Something beginning with L.''
''L?''
''L''
''Ladybirds!''
''Where?''
''We just passed some!''
''Oh. No, not ladybirds.''
''Legs.''
''Gambit...''

*second attempt*

''Lipstick.''
''Impossible.''
''Oh, why?''
''Well, MY little eye can't possibly see UNDER my little noise.''
''In the mirror?''
''Begins with M!''
''You can see the lipstick...''

Wrong again Gambit. Such a shame he didn't go for a third attempt... :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Sep 2009, 16:42

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love that scene, too, plus the follow-up, where Purdey says "Gambit" in a "I know you too well for that" flirty little way, and smiles at him like that.

Oh, I know that look too well - typical Purdey! That reminds me... What does one do when being on a secret mission while driving in France? Exactly, play a game of I spy with my little eye:

''I spy with my little eye... Something beginning with L.''
''L?''
''L''
''Ladybirds!''
''Where?''
''We just passed some!''
''Oh. No, not ladybirds.''
''Legs.''
''Gambit...''

*second attempt*

''Lipstick.''
''Impossible.''
''Oh, why?''
''Well, MY little eye can't possibly see UNDER my little noise.''
''In the mirror?''
''Begins with M!''
''You can see the lipstick...''

Wrong again Gambit. Such a shame he didn't go for a third attempt... :lol:

I love Gambit because he's willing to argue about it--so much of Purdey and Gambit's relationship involves debating silly little things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but that they talk about nonetheless. Gambit and Purdey arguing about I Spy rules just fits in perfectly with that. Poor Gambit wants to know why his guess can't work--if they hadn't had to do some actual work they'd probably be on about it all the way to Paris. :lmao:

Naturally, when Gambit's not trying to win an argument, he's being cheeky. Purdey should be flattered he loves her legs so much. :wink: His next guess might have been too racy for TV. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Sep 2009, 17:20

Did you notice how she pronounces ''nose''? I know people have often critizised her when it comes to her accent, but wouldn't you wish you spoke English like that yourself? I certainly would!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love Gambit because he's willing to argue about it--so much of Purdey and Gambit's relationship involves debating silly little things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but that they talk about nonetheless.

Absolutely. There's a lot of debating going on between the two of them, but it hardly ever makes sense. What I like about this particular scene is Steed's presence though, because you can see it amuses them. Irreplacable indeed. :D

''Ah, I'll give up...''
''So do I.''
''Des lapins.''
''Come again?''
''Lapins. Rabbits. There were some just back there.''
''But that's cheating, playing in French!''
''Oh, I don't know, she's got a point there! After all, we are in France!''
''Yes, but unfortunately not in the part where they've got all the clothes and the shoes!"'

Hey, that could have been me saying that. :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Sep 2009, 17:57

Maartje wrote:Did you notice how she pronounces ''nose''? I know people have often critizised her when it comes to her accent, but wouldn't you wish you spoke English like that yourself? I certainly would!

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love Gambit because he's willing to argue about it--so much of Purdey and Gambit's relationship involves debating silly little things that don't matter in the grand scheme of things, but that they talk about nonetheless.

Absolutely. There's a lot of debating going on between the two of them, but it hardly ever makes sense. What I like about this particular scene is Steed's presence though, because you can see it amuses them. Irreplacable indeed. :D

''Ah, I'll give up...''
''So do I.''
''Des lapins.''
''Come again?''
''Lapins. Rabbits. There were some just back there.''
''But that's cheating, playing in French!''
''Oh, I don't know, she's got a point there! After all, we are in France!''
''Yes, but unfortunately not in the part where they've got all the clothes and the shoes!"'

Hey, that could have been me saying that. :lolol:

Who picks on her accent? I've never heard anyone say anything but admiring things about her voice. It's a lovely voice. It's not a drama school accent, but she did take a few classes to change it (Gareth's accent in TNA is a drama school accent. He's actually Cockney, and occasionally it bleeds through, but Gambit actually sounds different than Gareth himself).

Steed gets a lot of entertainment from Purdey and Gambit's little arguments, I suspect. It's never a boring car ride when they're along, that's for certain. Poor Gambit--he can't do the French thing. Purdey's just making it harder for him, isn't she? :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 26 Oct 2009, 00:03

''Purdey?
''Excuse me, I've been noticed!''

And what did we learn from this, Mike? She's no fun when she's hungry. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 Oct 2009, 00:15

Mara wrote:''Purdey?
''Excuse me, I've been noticed!''

And what did we learn from this, Mike? She's no fun when she's hungry. :lol:

Feed her and she will love you forever! Start putting marshmallows in the glove box. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Oct 2009, 20:05

''That's the way he's heading.''
''Are you sure?''
''Sure I'm sure. Well, if this is the lagoon we're on, and if we are going in that direction, and if he doesn't make a ride here, and I've I haven't got the map upside down... Then it's definitely, absolutely an without a shadow of doubt, lake Ontario. Probably.''

What's it with women and maps? :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Oct 2009, 00:30

Mara wrote:''That's the way he's heading.''
''Are you sure?''
''Sure I'm sure. Well, if this is the lagoon we're on, and if we are going in that direction, and if he doesn't make a ride here, and I've I haven't got the map upside down... Then it's definitely, absolutely an without a shadow of doubt, lake Ontario. Probably.''

What's it with women and maps? :lol:

That's what Gambit would like to know. :lmao: Great scene. One of my favourite lines from that ep is his frustrated "I don't know, Purdey, ask me another." I use that all the time. Poor Gambit wants out of the swan boat now. :lolol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Oct 2009, 00:39

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Poor Gambit wants out of the swan boat now. :lolol:

Out of that boat and back to that bridge. ''We gotta make it look real'' - no worries Mike, you did. :d

''Step on it, Gambit!''
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Oct 2009, 00:43

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Poor Gambit wants out of the swan boat now. :lolol:

Out of that boat and back to that bridge. ''We gotta make it look real'' - no worries Mike, you did. :d

''Step on it, Gambit!''

Yes, I think making out on the bridge was more his cup of tea. Yep, they made it look real--although I would have been interested in realer. :brows: Yeah, Mike, step on it!
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Oct 2009, 00:45

"Step on it Gambit!" is an altime favourite :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 29 Oct 2009, 11:35

Purdey's "Down boy, this is more my scene!" from Angels of Death I find strangely erotic ... :wub:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Oct 2009, 13:46

Avengerdan wrote:Purdey's "Down boy, this is more my scene!" from Angels of Death I find strangely erotic ... :wub:

That reminds me of that little scene in The Midas Touch, when this guy is supposed to watch her. We don't very often get to see her like that!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Oct 2009, 16:48

Mara wrote:
Avengerdan wrote:Purdey's "Down boy, this is more my scene!" from Angels of Death I find strangely erotic ... :wub:

That reminds me of that little scene in The Midas Touch, when this guy is supposed to watch her. We don't very often get to see her like that!

That scene always gives me the creeps--poor Purdey always got threatened sexually more than the other Avengers or girls. It's always a relief for me when Gambit shows up and whacks the guy. ^^

The best bit of the Purdey/Angels fight scene for me is the cuts back to Gambit wincing. I always half expect to see him offering up a silent prayer of thanks: "I love my job. I love my job. I don't care that I'm going to get shot in the next ten minutes. I love it anyway." :lmao: What is it with men watching women fight? :roll:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 29 Oct 2009, 20:36

Men love to watch women fight - it's so ... physical.

It goes back to all those cat-fights you find in Westerns (which only ended when some guy would pour his ale over the two writhing hellcats!)
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Oct 2009, 20:46

Avengerdan wrote:Men love to watch women fight - it's so ... physical.

It goes back to all those cat-fights you find in Westerns (which only ended when some guy would pour his ale over the two writhing hellcats!)

I don't think Purdey would appreciate it one bit if Gambit were to do that :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Oct 2009, 02:55

Avengerdan wrote:Men love to watch women fight - it's so ... physical.

Men are weird. :lol:

Maybe that's why Steed wanted to get to the pub so bad--beer for the catfight. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 30 Oct 2009, 14:21

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Men are weird. :lol:

I resent that assumption. :whistle:

P: Is she not answering?
G: Steed can borrow my little black book.
P: Steed doesnt need a black... What little ''black book''?!
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Oct 2009, 16:14

Mara wrote:

Purdey's so funny in this. One moment she's just commenting on Gambit's remark until she suddenly realises: WHOA what little black book?
With a matching hilarious facial expression :lmao:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Oct 2009, 17:33

Philippa wrote:
Mara wrote:

Purdey's so funny in this. One moment she's just commenting on Gambit's remark until she suddenly realises: WHOA what little black book?
With a matching hilarious facial expression :lmao:

I know--she does a little double take. "Wait, what?" All of the sudden the competition just skyrocketed. No wonder she kissed him--she has to reassert her dominance. :lol:

Mara wrote:

Why? Do you know something I don't? :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 08 Nov 2009, 19:56

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Why? Do you know something I don't? :wink:

No. I've just always wanted to use that line. :whistle:

Watching Complex: ''Ssh! Your umbrella is talking to me...'' She should have won a BAFTA for that scene. :lol: It kinda reminds me of Emma in the the Hidden Tiger, if I'm correct.
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers