Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Favourite Quotes

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Nov 2009, 20:00

Re: Favourite Quotes

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Why? Do you know something I don't? :wink:

No. I've just always wanted to use that line. :whistle:

Watching Complex: ''Ssh! Your umbrella is talking to me...'' She should have won a BAFTA for that scene. :lol: It kinda reminds me of Emma in the the Hidden Tiger, if I'm correct.

There are lots of lines I want to use. One of my favourites is "Knock, knock. Answer the clue door." Not from Avengerland, though. :lol:

Do you mean Victoria Stanton in Medium Rare? I love that scene, if only for Steed's expression. Patrick does "say what?" looks better than anyone. Although I must say I love Purdey rolling her eyes in the background, too. :lmao:

Emma does the "twiddly-dah, twiddly-dum" while listening to Steed's umbrella in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station. People love that scene. There's something about Diana saying "boopity-boop" that can't help but make you smile. ^^ I want some of Steed's hidden gadget brollies, though. :hearteyes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Nov 2009, 20:04

Whoops, I just noticed I keep messing up the episodes. I don't know them like you do, you have to forgive me that. :lol: I meant Purdey's line in Complex though, she's giving a fantastc impersonation there, haha.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Emma does the "twiddly-dah, twiddly-dum" while listening to Steed's umbrella in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station. People love that scene. There's something about Diana saying "boopity-boop" that can't help but make you smile. ^^ I want some of Steed's hidden gadget brollies, though. :hearteyes:

Haha, that's the exact scene I mean. I love the brolly, but there's something about that bowler too. Wouldn't want to be hit by it though, as it is probably made of steel. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 08 Nov 2009, 20:12

The boopity-boop bit cracks me up every time. Diana's facial expression is priceless :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 Nov 2009, 20:19

Mara wrote:Whoops, I just noticed I keep messing up the episodes. I don't know them like you do, you have to forgive me that. :lol: I meant Purdey's line in Complex though, she's giving a fantastc impersonation there, haha.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Emma does the "twiddly-dah, twiddly-dum" while listening to Steed's umbrella in A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Station. People love that scene. There's something about Diana saying "boopity-boop" that can't help but make you smile. ^^ I want some of Steed's hidden gadget brollies, though. :hearteyes:

Haha, that's the exact scene I mean. I love the brolly, but there's something about that bowler too. Wouldn't want to be hit by it though, as it is probably made of steel. :lol:

Well, I'm bad with Gale episode titles, but we have Philippa for that. And you've got all the AbFab knowledge, so between the three of us, we should be good. :thumb:

Purdey does "I resent that assumption" so well, just with the right amount of disdain.

Steed's bowler is supposed to be steel rimmed, but they're also steel-crowned. He also has a hat of chainmail. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Dec 2009, 20:33

From K Is For Kill: ''I'm a girl. I'M A GIRL. And I will not let that fact gone unnoticed.''

Gotta love her. :lmao: Don't worry Purdey, point taken... :lolol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Dec 2009, 20:49

Mara wrote:From K Is For Kill: ''I'm a girl. I'M A GIRL. And I will not let that fact gone unnoticed.''

Gotta love her. :lmao: Don't worry Purdey, point taken... :lolol:

I love how Gambit and Steed sort of look at each other like they're conferring. "She's a girl." "Definitely." :lmao: Purdey wants attention, and throws a little tantrum. :lol:

It's great that they keep the joke going, too. Gambit: "You're still a girl." I don't think he ever forgets that. If you let him, Purdey, he'll make you feel like a woman. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Dec 2009, 20:53

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love how Gambit and Steed sort of look at each other like they're conferring. "She's a girl." "Definitely." :lmao: Purdey wants attention, and throws a little tantrum. :lol:

Oh yes, she does. Even later on in the episode (when she's banging that spoon against her tea cup) she feels unnoticed. I don't care about the plot of this episode, I'm watching for these little scenes.

Right.

:lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Dec 2009, 21:01

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love how Gambit and Steed sort of look at each other like they're conferring. "She's a girl." "Definitely." :lmao: Purdey wants attention, and throws a little tantrum. :lol:

Oh yes, she does. Even later on in the episode (when she's banging that spoon against her tea cup) she feels unnoticed. I don't care about the plot of this episode, I'm watching for these little scenes.

Right.

:lmao:

I know. "Gay Paris." And then she goes inside and Steed and Gambit are moping around drinking coffee with all the curtains drawn. You can tell Purdey's thinking "I am never going on vacation with you again." :lmao:

Heck, I haven't these shows for the plot for years. It's the characters that make it great--I'm still playing "watch what Gareth does in the background." :grin: Gareth and Joanna do such a good job of infusing Purdey and Gambit with lots of little fun looks and moments. Oh yes. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Dec 2009, 21:04

Haha yes, poor Purdey. Paris is quite good fun though when you're there with two guys (I know) but obviously not when work's involved. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Heck, I haven't these shows for the plot for years. It's the characters that make it great--I'm still playing "watch what Gareth does in the background."

Haha, I'm joining you in your little game. And I'm playing ''spot the smirk'' too, Joanna's great at that.

Can I just add I would have gone gay for her legs in those shorts? :hypnose: And yes, this is jealousy speaking here!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Dec 2009, 21:17

Mara wrote:Haha yes, poor Purdey. Paris is quite good fun though when you're there with two guys (I know) but obviously not when work's involved. :lol:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Heck, I haven't these shows for the plot for years. It's the characters that make it great--I'm still playing "watch what Gareth does in the background."

Haha, I'm joining you in your little game. And I'm playing ''spot the smirk'' too, Joanna's great at that.

Can I just add I would have gone gay for her legs in those shorts? :hypnose: And yes, this is jealousy speaking here!

I know, but both the guys are totally wrapped up in the case for once. They're not even looking at her legs! That must be hard for her to handle. :lol:

TNA's great because there are three of them, which means, unlike the original, if two of them are talking, there's a third one in the background with nothing to do for a moment, so I take great joy in watching what they do. Gareth's the best at it, but sometimes he has Joanna with him, and they do little eye conversations. This is why I love them. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Dec 2009, 23:30

Wife swapping in broad daylight:

''Ah well, as you said: there's other things to do. Gay Paris, has obviously gone to your head and you've finally decided to let me...''
''WORK.''

That does hurt, doesn't it Mike? I love how his eyes go ''wandering'' when he says that line. :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Dec 2009, 00:20

Mara wrote:Wife swapping in broad daylight:

''Ah well, as you said: there's other things to do. Gay Paris, has obviously gone to your head and you've finally decided to let me...''
''WORK.''

That does hurt, doesn't it Mike? I love how his eyes go ''wandering'' when he says that line. :lmao:

I love the wife swapping! I think it's hilarious the way the French waiter thinks Steed and Gambit are a couple of reprobates. :lmao:

And yes, Purdey does get poor Mike's hopes up, dragging him away from that nice French doctor of his. Oh, Purdey, Purdey--so cruel. But Mike does get a good look in. :brows:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Dec 2009, 21:29

''It was a Wednesday I think, here, and my parents took us boating. *mouth full* And this awful man came up to me and said...''
''How about here?''
''He certainly did not!''

:lolol:

I'll take another marshmallow to that myself. *stufs face*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Dec 2009, 22:02

Mara wrote:''It was a Wednesday I think, here, and my parents took us boating. *mouth full* And this awful man came up to me and said...''
''How about here?''
''He certainly did not!''

:lolol:

I'll take another marshmallow to that myself. *stufs face*

I love that scene! "What were you doing 17 years ago?"

"Me, I was discovering sex."

"What a waste of time. You could have been learning to drive." *Stuffs marshmallow in Gambit's mouth.* :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Dec 2009, 18:21

''I'm affraid we have no facilities for the imprisonment of young women.''
''You mean you haven't got a hair dryer?''

That's right Purdey - as long as the bob looks good. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Dec 2009, 18:32

Mara wrote:''I'm affraid we have no facilities for the imprisonment of young women.''
''You mean you haven't got a hair dryer?''

That's right Purdey - as long as the bob looks good. :lol:

I love how defiant and cool Purdey is in the face of Miller--and how it clearly irritates him to no end that Purdey refuses to quake in fear. :lmao: I love Dirtier for so many reasons, and this is one of them (reasons 2-25 are to do with Gambit in his uniform. :hearteyes: ) More Purdey/Gambit joy:

"Would it help if you were motivated?"
"Eh?"
"Pretend it's a chastity belt."
"I'll go find the key."

Yep, she knows how to motivate Gambit all right. :lmao:

One of my fanfic buddies started on a story that was an alternate version of Dirtier--it deviated from the ending in that Steed didn't arrive in time, and a bunch of events unfolded from there. She got sort of stuck and never finished it, but I could try and post you some links to it if you're interested...? (I promise you it's worth it, even if it's not finished).
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 02 Jan 2010, 19:56

One of Purdey's lines that always makes me laugh is one from Trap, when one of the American blokes (Marty?) dies. ''We have a dinner date, remember? I hate a bloke who stands me up!''

That is so typical for the Avengers, isn't it? You never cry, you have a whiskey. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Jan 2010, 20:11

Mara wrote:One of Purdey's lines that always makes me laugh is one from Trap, when one of the American blokes (Marty?) dies. ''We have a dinner date, remember? I hate a bloke who stands me up!''

That is so typical for the Avengers, isn't it? You never cry, you have a whiskey. :lol:

Yes, in Avengerland, death is treated a little more flippantly, although in TNA they generally are more serious about it--Gambit even avenges Marty (yes, that's his name) later on, despite the fact he was a rival for Purdey. Marty is actually played by Stuart Damon from The Champions, whom I adore, but he does something really bad with his accent in Trap, and that mustache! Stuart, I feel for you. :lol:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers