Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Filming locations

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 30 Jan 2009, 11:55

Filming locations

Very well said, I couldn't have put it better. I once read a Dutch newspaper review, and it was really a nasty piece of writing - I obviously got the series completely wrong, such a shame.. It's not the slapstick AbFab-kind of humor, and I often wonder how hard it must be for both Jennifer and Joanna to get rid of that image. It seems that almost everything Jennifer wrote after the Edina-era is compared to AbFab, and the very same goes for Joanna's acting. What I liked about series 2 is that we saw not only more of Joanna, but also of the character she plays. I'm still hoping that they'll show it on television here in the Netherlands, it's a brilliant piece of drama.

But anyway - I like the set-up of it too: most of it is London, but I only recently released that I've been to a few of the set locations. The Railway station where Davina waits in series 1, the famous ''tower'' in South London (does anyone know the name of it?) and the British Museum. Something I liked about the first series was the conversations Davina had with her imaginary friends, because those were actually the only scenes in which she spoke out her thoughts. For instance the mummy scene (here) - was filmed in the British Museum, but I somehow I completely missed the shot of the actual building in the actual episode, so I only realised it was filmed there after I had been there.

Walking around in the museum, I also came accross the Egyptian gallery with the mummy's, and as I was bowing down to read the informative description, I suddenly reminded this very particular scene. Unfortunately, the mummy didn't give me any good advice.. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 24 Jul 2009, 00:25

Re: Filming locations

I'd totally forgotten about the British museum where the famous ''mummy scene'' was shot.

And here's my picture:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Nov 2009, 22:44

This is the view I meant to show you for ages! (taken in London, November 2009)

We also drove past the place where Davina has her boat in the second series, which is somewhere near Chelsea. I would have taken a picture of the bridge, but it all went pretty fast, so I didn't manage to do that unfortunately.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 16 Nov 2009, 15:06

Thank you. :happy:

Becka.
xx
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Nov 2009, 00:30

Next time darling, we're going to London together, and we'll take pictures of every landmark featured in Sensitive Skin/AbFab and every other tv series imaginable :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Nov 2009, 00:32

Philippa wrote:Next time darling, we're going to London together, and we'll take pictures of every landmark featured in Sensitive Skin/AbFab and every other tv series imaginable :lol:

Check out Gambit's flat and Steed's Stable Mews while you're at it. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Nov 2009, 00:37

I definitely will :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jan 2010, 18:20

Did anyone ever notice Davina goes to Bond Street to do some shopping with that bloke she meets in series 2? I'm not sure if she actually goes in there (I didn't recognize the store) but she does pass Harrod's. Fabulous!
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2010, 21:38

I didn't notice that. In which episode is that? (I can't check for myself at the moment, DVDs are in Amsterdam)

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jan 2010, 21:41

Philippa wrote:I didn't notice that. In which episode is that? (I can't check for myself at the moment, DVDs are in Amsterdam)

I think that is episode three - maybe you can check when you get back to Amsterdam? 'Cause I'm not quite sure if the scene with the two of them sitting together was filmed there too, I only recognised the show windows...
<<

george123

Donkey

Post 29 Jan 2010, 00:50

That was Selfridges. When they are sitting at the table its the Champagne Bar upstairs. Spookily, one of the side streets near Selfridges (just out of shot as Davina goes through the main doors) is called Lumley Street. I'll have to get a shot of the sign next time Im passing.
Georgina.

<<

Philippa

Post 29 Jan 2010, 12:50

That's so cool! Thanks for posting :grin:

(Just one thing. Could you possibly upload the pictures to imageshack or photobucket or something and re-post them? Because right now they're a bit big and messing up the frames. Thanks :happy: )

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Jan 2010, 16:02

I've passed those boats near Chelsea, it's such a lovely place! I couldn't take any pictures because I was on a bus, so thanks for posting these.

So the store she goes shopping at is Selfridges? I don't think I've ever been there, I'll have to go there next time I'm in London. :whistle: And Lumley Street of course too haha, how fabulous is that?
<<

george123

Donkey

Post 29 Jan 2010, 19:12

(Just one thing. Could you possibly upload the pictures to imageshack or photobucket or something and re-post them? Because right now they're a bit big and messing up the frames. Thanks )

Yeah, sure - strange how that happened. Are you able to delete them please & I'll do them again via Photobucket when I get more time at the weekend. Thanks.
Georgina.

<<

george123

Donkey

Post 29 Jan 2010, 19:50

Ah, that didnt take long at all - I found the time to do it now. So Mara/ Phillipa - if you are able to delete my last effort it would be really appreciated. Thanks!

The street that Al runs down to meet his old University friend for lunch (series 1)...

Chelsea houseboats (series 2)...

Chelsea houseboats (series 2)...

Chelsea bridge (see the last scene of the last ever episode)...

I definately have to get a sign of Lumley Street too! I'll post it when I do!
Georgina.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Jan 2010, 20:05

george123 wrote:Ah, that didnt take long at all - I found the time to do it now. So Mara/ Phillipa - if you are able to delete my last effort it would be really appreciated.

Done! :wink:

Wouldn't you just love to live on one of those boats near Chelsea? Your pictures are wonderful - thank you for sharing. (I do feel like rewatching the series now!)
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 29 Jan 2010, 20:26

Wow great, thank you. :happy:
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Jan 2010, 21:38

Thank you!
I'd love to live on one of those house boats. There are tons of house boats in Amsterdam as well, and they look so lovely and cosy. I wouldn't mind living on one at all.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 29 Jan 2010, 22:34

Philippa wrote:I'd love to live on one of those house boats. There are tons of house boats in Amsterdam as well, and they look so lovely and cosy. I wouldn't mind living on one at all.

Well, why don't we just look for a boat house instead of an apartment to live in next year then? :lol: We really must go and see Lumley street some day - I had no idea it was there! Don't you just love Google Maps?
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Feb 2010, 22:42

Thanks for these photos, they're fab! Lumley Street- its on my list of must sees next time i'm in the capital!

Just watched Season One for the first time (loved it) and I think their apartment is located around the Old Street area. I recognize some of the buildings, a big advertising billboard in the middle of a roundabout and there were a few close-ups of some bus stops. Some of the other scenes were filmed in and around the Clerkenwell area. Looking forward to catching up with Season Two now!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Feb 2010, 10:18

Look what happened to Davina's lovely art gallery! :wink:

If anyone wants to visit the filming location: it's Eton House on Venn Str. 59 in Lambeth. (near Clapham high)
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 20 Feb 2010, 12:00

Thanks Mara! :D
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Feb 2010, 12:19

We are so going there babe :hearteyes:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 20 Feb 2010, 16:06

Philippa wrote:We are so going there babe :hearteyes:

Definitely. It's really rather close to the tube station near our hotel anyway.
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Feb 2010, 17:41

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:We are so going there babe :hearteyes:

Definitely. It's really rather close to the tube station near our hotel anyway.

Even more fab :hyper:

Next

Return to Sensitive Skin