Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Gareth Hunt

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 08 Feb 2012, 01:23

Re: Gareth Hunt

We remembered, and I think she did too. They were friends until the very end, I think that's wonderful :cry:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 08 Feb 2012, 03:40

Mara wrote:We remembered, and I think she did too. They were friends until the very end, I think that's wonderful :cry:

I saw that you remembered, and it made me happy. :hug: I had a really busy day today and didn't manage to get on the internet at all to post about it, but I was happy to find your post when I came home. ^^

I do think Joanna thinks of him, too. She spent his very last birthday with him, after all--I think it was the last time she saw him. He was, as she said, a dear friend, for 30 years. It gives you hope, doesn't it? :cry:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 09 Feb 2012, 00:37

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do think Joanna thinks of him, too. She spent his very last birthday with him, after all--I think it was the last time she saw him. He was, as she said, a dear friend, for 30 years. It gives you hope, doesn't it? :cry:

It's a most beautiful example of friendship I can think of. I know I've said it so many times already, but he passed away too soon :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Feb 2012, 14:38

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do think Joanna thinks of him, too. She spent his very last birthday with him, after all--I think it was the last time she saw him. He was, as she said, a dear friend, for 30 years. It gives you hope, doesn't it? :cry:

It's a most beautiful example of friendship I can think of. I know I've said it so many times already, but he passed away too soon :no:

Oh, isn't it though? :cry: He most definitely passed away too soon. They just really seemed to enjoy each other. :crybaby:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Mar 2012, 17:33

It's five years since Gareth died today. Can't believe how quickly it's gone. Still much missed. :crybaby:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Mar 2012, 21:32

Goodness, has it been five years? RIP. :cry:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Mar 2012, 23:08

Mara wrote:Goodness, has it been five years? RIP. :cry:

It has. Unbelievable, isn't it? He'd be 70 by now. :cry: I tried to write some fic to commemorate it, but I was just too exhausted to make it come together. I need the end of term before I'm going to be able to get proper writing done. :crybaby:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 18 Mar 2012, 00:44

It's alright Timeless - I know how busy you are and you already gave us that wonderful Purdey/Gambit fic a few weeks ago. :hug:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Mar 2012, 13:19

Mara wrote:It's alright Timeless - I know how busy you are and you already gave us that wonderful Purdey/Gambit fic a few weeks ago. :hug:

Thanks, Maartje. :hug: I just wanted to mark it in some way, but I literally couldn't muster up the mental energy to do it. Oh well. If I do manage to get that arc story written, it'll be a lot about Gambit (and Purdey), so that'll have to do. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Feb 2013, 14:41

Found this fabulous video on youtube. Outtakes of Gareth while shooting one of his Nescafe commercials. Clearly he's had to a do a lot of takes, and is starting to wilt a bit. He sweats a lot, swears a fair bit, does a couple of different voices, and manages to be pretty hilarious a lot of the time, all in the course of roughly 80 seconds. It's pretty brilliant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afxEIyAgjaY

Having heard equally sweary outtakes from Patrick from The Howling, and given that we all know Joanna's language can be pretty colourful on occasion, I think it's safe to say there were a lot of, shall we say, "expressive" words spoken on the TNA set. :whistle:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 10 Feb 2013, 18:13

Brilliant. "Ungh-faackin' 'ell" sounds more like Gene Hunt than Gareth Hunt.
He looked very hot and tired under those studio lights, which probably added to the discomfort.

Thanks for the clip.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 10 Feb 2013, 19:01

Avengerdan wrote:Brilliant. "Ungh-faackin' 'ell" sounds more like Gene Hunt than Gareth Hunt.
He looked very hot and tired under those studio lights, which probably added to the discomfort.

Thanks for the clip.

I'm still not entirely convinced that we got a seventies-era character named "G. Hunt" by coincidence, so maybe there's more Gareth in Gene than we know about... :whistle:

And Gareth does look impossibly hot under those studio lights (and when I say "impossibly hot", yes, you can take that both ways :brows: ). He wipes the sweat off so many times, I start to worry he's going to die of dehydration. Hopefully somebody gave him something to drink (not coffee). I've no doubt it's part of the reason he's so tired, and probably doesn't help him remember his lines, either--his brain's probably boiling.

I'm amused by the fact that, despite the number of four-letter words he utters during the course of that clip, his utterance when he sighs with the heat is, "Oh, Christmas." :lol: Seems ridiculously mild in comparison.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Feb 2013, 13:37

*burps* ''Excuse me..."

Oh my, what a gentleman (Purdey better not hear this) :lol: Great find, thank you Timeless!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Feb 2013, 14:30

Mara wrote:*burps* ''Excuse me..."

Oh my, what a gentleman (Purdey better not hear this) :lol: Great find, thank you Timeless!

Well, he did say "excuse me"... :whistle: I love how self-deprecating he is about it--"Did you get that?"--as though yes, of course, they're going to pick that take for the ad. :lolol: You can hear the crew cracking up in the background. :lol:

I get the funny feeling that in the course of any number of late night stakeouts, Purdey's heard just about everything from Gambit (and Joanna from Gareth--they lived together for awhile, remember. I'm sure they heard just about everything). :lol: I'm intrigued to know which one of them could outswear which--we've heard what Joanna said in front of an AbFab audience, so who knows what she'd say in the privacy of a studio? :lmao:

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's a really great candid clip, though, isn't it? You can see what Joanna meant when she said he used to make her cry with laughter on-set. Even when he's dead tired, he's still making jokes. What I wouldn't give for TNA outtakes...
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 14 Feb 2013, 14:38

When he says, "I've got about eight thousand lines going round" I wonder if he was in something else at the time as well as doing the ad (Beryl Marston?).

It must be hard to be an actor - you have to learn lines perfectly, then unlearn them to learn new ones. So I shudder to think how you then have to learn lines from two different things you're working on at the same time. These days they'd have Autocue I suppose.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Feb 2013, 15:25

Avengerdan wrote:When he says, "I've got about eight thousand lines going round" I wonder if he was in something else at the time as well as doing the ad (Beryl Marston?).

It must be hard to be an actor - you have to learn lines perfectly, then unlearn them to learn new ones. So I shudder to think how you then have to learn lines from two different things you're working on at the same time. These days they'd have Autocue I suppose.

I've no doubt he was doing something else at the time, and was probably doing this on an evening or weekend after his regular workday. It could very well have been Beryl--it aired in 1981, but probably would have been shot in 1980, which is when these outtakes were done. I get the sense that he was fatigued even before he started. He may have been doing something in the theatre as well, so yeah, that's a lot of lines to keep straight. I think the heat was getting to him as well--his brain's probably boiling. No wonder he can't keep the lines straight.

He was probably expecting his second son by this point, too, so he had a lot going on at home as well. I'd be tired, too!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Mar 2013, 15:25

Today marks six years since we lost Gareth. Somehow it seems like ages ago, and yet not that long at all. Still much missed. :crybaby: I'm sure Joanna's thinking about him today. :cry:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Mar 2013, 01:15

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Today marks six years since we lost Gareth. Somehow it seems like ages ago, and yet not that long at all. Still much missed. :crybaby: I'm sure Joanna's thinking about him today. :cry:

Can't believe I missed your post. Has it been six years, really? :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 31 Mar 2013, 13:24

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Today marks six years since we lost Gareth. Somehow it seems like ages ago, and yet not that long at all. Still much missed. :crybaby: I'm sure Joanna's thinking about him today. :cry:

Can't believe I missed your post. Has it been six years, really? :no:

It has. Hard to believe, isn't it? :no:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Mar 2013, 17:42

Very much so. :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 01 Apr 2013, 13:11

Mara wrote:Very much so. :no:

It's especially sad because even today, he wouldn't be terribly old--71--which emphasises how he wasn't very old when he died. :crybaby: The best we can do is remember him, though. I'm sure Joanna would agree. :yes:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Apr 2013, 11:11

Can't believe it's been 6 years already. And he died much too young :no:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Apr 2013, 13:30

Philippa wrote:Can't believe it's been 6 years already. And he died much too young :no:

He did indeed. It's amazing how time flies, isn't it? :cry:

In happier news, I discovered that my school offers a poster printing service, so I had one of my favourite shots of Gareth, which I've wanted in poster size for years, printed up, and I picked it up yesterday. Because I owned a good-quality 8x10 of it, it blew up really beautifully, and I'm quite pleased with it. Can't wait to buy a frame for it. ^^
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Apr 2013, 15:22

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Philippa wrote:Can't believe it's been 6 years already. And he died much too young :no:

In happier news, I discovered that my school offers a poster printing service, so I had one of my favourite shots of Gareth, which I've wanted in poster size for years, printed up, and I picked it up yesterday. Because I owned a good-quality 8x10 of it, it blew up really beautifully, and I'm quite pleased with it. Can't wait to buy a frame for it. ^^

Oh that's brilliant! I bet it's going to look great on your wall. Which picture is it by the way? ^^

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Apr 2013, 21:45

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Oh that's brilliant! I bet it's going to look great on your wall. Which picture is it by the way? ^^

It's this one. It's one of my all-time favourite ones of Gareth/Gambit. I've loved it ever since I spotted it in one of the TNA annuals, and thought it would make a fabulous poster. It took me years to actually get my hands on the 8x10 (the annual scan would have been terrible quality), and until now I've never really gotten around to using a printing service, but this one was so convenient I thought I'd give it a shot. It came out so well, though--no real pixilation, and it's really striking because it's all black and white. After exams are finished, I'm going to enjoy finding a frame for it. :grin:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers