Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Gareth Hunt

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Apr 2013, 11:21

Re: Gareth Hunt

Ooh yes I love that one :hearteyes:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 05 Apr 2013, 13:19

Philippa wrote:Ooh yes I love that one :hearteyes:

It's gorgeous, isn't it? :hearteyes: All angsty and, well, dishy. And something about the pose makes it great for poster size. Yes, I'm very pleased with it. :grin:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:17

Yesterday I stumbled across this fabulous radio interview with Gareth done while he was promoting TNA on video. There's an absolutely genius bit where he talks about how hard the hairstylists on the show worked to straighten out his hair from its usually curly state, complete with an awful lot of blow-drying. At the end of the day it would all curl up again. It's a pretty great interview. :lol:

I thought this fit nicely with this gorgeous 8x10 I picked up a couple weeks back. :hearteyes: Think how hard the hairdresser worked to get his hair to look like that! :lmao:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:30

Thank you! :grin: Nice find!

That look he gives us... :hypnose:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2013, 20:54

Mara wrote:Thank you! :grin: Nice find!

That look he gives us... :hypnose:

You're very welcome. :grin: And yeah, the look...I think I think I just melted a little. :hearteyes:
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Apr 2013, 14:58

Oh hi there :brows:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Apr 2013, 15:11

Philippa wrote:Oh hi there :brows:

Hello, indeed. :brows:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 May 2013, 19:26

So I got a magazine with a 1977 interview with Gareth in it, and it had pictures I'd never seen before in it. One of them is particularly spectacular, so I thought I'd share it. I recommend you brace yourselves.

Isn't it fabulous? :wub: I opened up the magazine, and there it was, and I was just... :hearteyes: There's another picture I've never seen before in the corner as well, and the article was good, so all around a good buy. :thumb: I think I may need to lie down now. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 17 May 2013, 22:22

Hello :hearteyes:

Thanks for sharing Timeless!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 May 2013, 14:00

Philippa wrote:Hello :hearteyes:

Thanks for sharing Timeless!

You're very welcome. Hello, indeed. :brows:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 Dec 2013, 19:26

Wow ! Timeless ...that's SOME photo with Purdey and Gambit...the best I've seen ...encapsulates their relationship... Purdey looks sensational in her leotard...Gambit looks great in denim...really cool ! Ticks all the boxes for me ! Thanks a million !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Dec 2013, 20:36

martyoreen wrote:Wow ! Timeless ...that's SOME photo with Purdey and Gambit...the best I've seen ...encapsulates their relationship... Purdey looks sensational in her leotard...Gambit looks great in denim...really cool ! Ticks all the boxes for me ! Thanks a million !

Yes, they're both quite rare photos, so I was happy to find them. Glad you enjoyed. ^^
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 Dec 2013, 03:47

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Okay, I know I say I love Gambit's clothes. I do. I really, really do--I think they're awesome. Which is why I bought a magazine with a feature on Gareth and fashion. The following are not Gambit's clothes, sadly--they're what the magazine had him model. And at least one example is pretty scary. :lol:

Okay, article first. I love hearing him talk about his build and how it's hard for him to find clothes that fit properly (luckily all the TNA suits were tailored for him). He really did have a narrow little waist for a guy (in a good way :brows: ), although I always thought his legs looked pretty long. I also love how he has a lucky suit, and he talks about wanting casual clothes on TNA (and he brings up the old story about splitting his pants).

But now we get to the clothes. The first example is pretty bad, the second middling, the third pretty nice. So we start with the worst and get better.

Okay, I never thought I would see Gareth in a bad seventies track suit. This is just wrong on so many levels. Seventies at its worst. I'm not advocating this! There were better seventies clothes out there. Just not this. Oh, Gareth, I'm so happy you never wore this onscreen. :lmao:

Next two:

The top one's a bit middling, but I love the bottom one. Gareth looks good in white. And in a turtleneck. :hearteyes: Pity he's smoking in both though. Naughty Gareth.

Anyway, there's your little fashion supplement for the day. I think I need to go look at Gambit in his pinstripes to get over that tracksuit now.

Gareth looks class in the bottom one...naughty Gareth :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Dec 2013, 14:27

martyoreen wrote:Gareth looks class in the bottom one...naughty Gareth :wink:

He does. I haven't looked at these in awhile, but seeing them again...yes, he looks very good indeed. :thumb: I've actually warmed to the tan one, though the white one is still the best. ^^ The tracksuit is still bad, though. :lol:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 Dec 2013, 20:51

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

He does. I haven't looked at these in awhile, but seeing them again...yes, he looks very good indeed. :thumb: I've actually warmed to the tan one, though the white one is still the best. ^^ The tracksuit is still bad, though. :lol:

Two out of three is not bad :wink: The suit he wears in Faces where he's talking to Purdey at her ballet barre ... he looks very impressive here... :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Dec 2013, 21:07

martyoreen wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Two out of three is not bad :wink: The suit he wears in Faces where he's talking to Purdey at her ballet barre ... he looks very impressive here... :yes:

I love the majority of Gambit's clothes. Seventies fashion is endlessly mocked, by I actually think the cut of the suits was incredibly flattering. Gambit's clothes are beautifully tailored, and made of some lovely fabrics. I wish men's clothes were as flattering now.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 Dec 2013, 02:59

Yes, Gambit's wardrobe is quite effective and very flattering ...he nearly always looks great in The New Avengers :yes: I think every decade has contributed something unique to fashion...the 70's ...colourful and creative... :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 Dec 2013, 14:05

martyoreen wrote:Yes, Gambit's wardrobe is quite effective and very flattering ...he nearly always looks great in The New Avengers :yes: I think every decade has contributed something unique to fashion...the 70's ...colourful and creative... :thumb:

It's the seventies cut for suits for men that I love the most, and they really flattered people with Gareth's build. I'm not as keen on the sixties cuts where all the suits look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer. :lol: Patrick's sixties suits were better, but then his didn't follow trends as rigidly as others at the time.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 27 Dec 2013, 05:25

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Yes, Gambit's wardrobe is quite effective and very flattering ...he nearly always looks great in The New Avengers :yes: I think every decade has contributed something unique to fashion...the 70's ...colourful and creative... :thumb:

It's the seventies cut for suits for men that I love the most, and they really flattered people with Gareth's build. I'm not as keen on the sixties cuts where all the suits look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer. :lol: Patrick's sixties suits were better, but then his didn't follow trends as rigidly as others at the time.

You have a way with words....'look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer ...' :lol: Spot on ! Those drainpipe trousers ... :no: Gambit's bellbottoms :yes: Suits look great AND his ties are well chosen :thumb: Gambit arriving at Purdey's wearing a suit ... says a lot... :thumb: Image
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Dec 2013, 15:15

martyoreen wrote:You have a way with words....'look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer ...' :lol: Spot on ! Those drainpipe trousers ... :no: Gambit's bellbottoms :yes: Suits look great AND his ties are well chosen :thumb: Gambit arriving at Purdey's wearing a suit ... says a lot... :thumb:

Yeah, I'm not keen on the drainpipe trousers, but I love flares. :grin: And I agree, he had good ties as well. He avoided all the loud patterns. I know Gareth wished they'd dressed him a little more casual, because it made it hard for him to do stunts in suits all the time, but I love Gambit's suits and think he looked fabulous in them. :yes:
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Dec 2013, 06:09

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:You have a way with words....'look as though they've been shrunk in the dryer ...' :lol: Spot on ! Those drainpipe trousers ... :no: Gambit's bellbottoms :yes: Suits look great AND his ties are well chosen :thumb: Gambit arriving at Purdey's wearing a suit ... says a lot... :thumb:

Yeah, I'm not keen on the drainpipe trousers, but I love flares. :grin: And I agree, he had good ties as well. He avoided all the loud patterns. I know Gareth wished they'd dressed him a little more casual, because it made it hard for him to do stunts in suits all the time, but I love Gambit's suits and think he looked fabulous in them. :yes:

ImageImage Certainly STYLISH our Gambit :thumb: Image He looks very impressive and really towers over Purdey at her ballet barre ! Love the church door scene...included pic. here , as Purdey has obviously grown about six inches, and shapes up to Gambit very impressively here :wink: :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Dec 2013, 14:40

martyoreen wrote:Certainly STYLISH our Gambit :thumb: He looks very impressive and really towers over Purdey at her ballet barre ! Love the church door scene...included pic. here , as Purdey has obviously grown about six inches, and shapes up to Gambit very impressively here :wink: :thumb:

It always amazes me how much Gareth towers over Joanna, especially considering how high her heels usually were (I know his boots had a bit of a heel, too, but they would have been more than cancelled out by Joanna's shoes). Gareth was 6', whereas Joanna is 5'8" (or was, until her spine got wrecked doing the TNA stunts), so there should only be four inches between them, but it looks like a lot more. She has to really stand on tiptoe if she wants to be eye-level with him.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 29 Dec 2013, 19:00

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Certainly STYLISH our Gambit :thumb: He looks very impressive and really towers over Purdey at her ballet barre ! Love the church door scene...included pic. here , as Purdey has obviously grown about six inches, and shapes up to Gambit very impressively here :wink: :thumb:

It always amazes me how much Gareth towers over Joanna, especially considering how high her heels usually were (I know his boots had a bit of a heel, too, but they would have been more than cancelled out by Joanna's shoes). Gareth was 6', whereas Joanna is 5'8" (or was, until her spine got wrecked doing the TNA stunts), so there should only be four inches between them, but it looks like a lot more. She has to really stand on tiptoe if she wants to be eye-level with him.

Her posture looks a bit slouched at times..look at her in purple leotard closing door, same in To Catch a Rat ... but look at Medium Rare where facing clairvoyant (listening to pipes scene) she pulls herself up to her full height ...she looks impressively tallImage This pic. shows her lovely wide shoulders... sideview pic. of same shows why Gambit towers over Purdey ! Very surprised at how skinny Purdey looked at times in The New Avengers ! Very noticeable in Last of the Cybernauts (Scrabble ) and Faces (as Lolita at the ballet barre!) I'd guess weight training was never part of Purdey's fitness programme and Joanna did say she never went to the gym ! She almost certainly would not have hurt her back if she did, and Gambit would certainly not have towered over her, as she'd certainly be standing at her full height naturally :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Dec 2013, 15:00

martyoreen wrote: Her posture looks a bit slouched at times..look at her in purple leotard closing door, same in To Catch a Rat ... but look at Medium Rare where facing clairvoyant (listening to pipes scene) she pulls herself up to her full height ...she looks impressively tall. This pic. shows her lovely wide shoulders... sideview pic. of same shows why Gambit towers over Purdey ! Very surprised at how skinny Purdey looked at times in The New Avengers ! Very noticeable in Last of the Cybernauts (Scrabble ) and Faces (as Lolita at the ballet barre!) I'd guess weight training was never part of Purdey's fitness programme and Joanna did say she never went to the gym ! She almost certainly would not have hurt her back if she did, and Gambit would certainly not have towered over her, as she'd certainly be standing at her full height naturally :thumb:

That's funny--I've never thought she looked slouched, and her modelling training would have taught her not to. When she looks taller, it always looks to me like she's stretching up on her tiptoes. And her and Gareth were, in fact, in the gym every day when they did TNA, and did a six-week Olympic crash course before they started filming. They were extremely, extremely, extremely fit--Joanna's heartbeat fell to near-Olympic levels. She didn't do weights (though Gareth did), but otherwise she did loads of other training, including ballet training, which would have been all about posture. I should also point out that both Gareth and Joanna hurt their backs quite badly doing the TNA stunts, and Gareth (who was doing the weight training) hurt his much worse than her, and ended up needing back surgery as a result. Joanna chipped and cracked two vertebrae doing her stunts, and has to sit straight now if she doesn't want to be in pain. They both wound up (coincidentally) seeing the same chiropractor, so the TNA stunts took their toll, sadly. :no:

But yes, she is very skinny at times. I think she looks skinniest in the French episodes, particularly The Lion and the Unicorn--you can tell the stress of the lack of funding, and not being paid, and overseas filming, and just overwork started taking their toll. Both Joanna and Gareth look exhausted through the whole episode, and Gareth got pretty thin himself. It's sadly a fairly common theme for the series--Diana, Honor, Linda, and Patrick all suffered from being extremely overworked.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jan 2014, 05:12

Wishing you and all members of the Forum a very happy New Year ! Thanks for your very informative reply ! Sorry to hear Gambit hurt his back...mind you he did tussle with some physically impressive men in Hostage, Emily and Lion the Unicorn ! Mentioning the Lion and the Unicorn , Purdey's actually a lot skinnier than I had originally noticed , but the clothes she wears can conceal this, and she can look physically very impressive indeed ! Agreed Gambit Is quite fit ! Purdey is reasonably agile, (and most of her training is geared to improving this one aspect of her Fitness !) but I doubt very much she'd have the agility of say Bond Girl Kim Basinger ! Slouch ,yes I think, quite noticeable and she is noticeably hollow chested also !Wearing a cape and long, very capacious, right up to the knee boots in Medium Rare Purdey looks physically very impressive as she does wearing (very voluminous) floral dress and boots visiting Gambit,s in Faces :thumb: Purdey is loved because of the way she plays the role ; her haughty, superior air, the dagger-eyes snoot look she throws, that posh plummy voice and the way she shapes up before going in to action, which she does better than all the Avenger Girls with the possible exception of Emma Peel on occasion :wink: Extremely Fit she is not :shock: and I reckon if you asked Joanna, she was surprised Caroline Munro was stronger than her , and she'd admit that Purdey wouldn't last too long in a doorway with Adele Bloemendaal :blush: Great to do crash courses etc ... but use it, or you lose it ! :happy:ImageImageImageImage
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers