Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Gareth Hunt

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jan 2014, 15:06

Re: Gareth Hunt

martyoreen wrote:Wishing you and all members of the Forum a very happy New Year ! Thanks for your very informative reply ! Sorry to hear Gambit hurt his back...mind you he did tussle with some physically impressive men in Hostage, Emily and Lion the Unicorn ! Mentioning the Lion and the Unicorn , Purdey's actually a lot skinnier than I had originally noticed , but the clothes she wears can conceal this, and she can look physically very impressive indeed ! Agreed Gambit Is quite fit ! Purdey is reasonably agile, (and most of her training is geared to improving this one aspect of her Fitness !) but I doubt very much she'd have the agility of say Bond Girl Kim Basinger ! Slouch ,yes I think, quite noticeable and she is noticeably hollow chested also !Wearing a cape and long, very capacious, right up to the knee boots in Medium Rare Purdey looks physically very impressive as she does wearing (very voluminous) floral dress and boots visiting Gambit,s in Faces :thumb: Purdey is loved because of the way she plays the role ; her haughty, superior air, the dagger-eyes snoot look she throws, that posh plummy voice and the way she shapes up before going in to action, which she does better than all the Avenger Girls with the possible exception of Emma Peel on occasion :wink: Extremely Fit she is not :shock: and I reckon if you asked Joanna, she was surprised Caroline Munro was stronger than her , and she'd admit that Purdey wouldn't last too long in a doorway with Adele Bloemendaal :blush: Great to do crash courses etc ... but use it, or you lose it ! :happy:

I suspect Gareth's back suffered not just from the fights, but doing things like jumping onto airplane wings and the like. But it all adds up in the end. He did an enormous amount of his own stuntwork, and that's eventually going to take its toll, as it did on Joanna. They frequently went home covered in bruises. Joanna remembers having to wear dark stockings because her legs were covered with so many bruises, they needed to cover them up somehow. But I really have to disagree that Joanna wasn't extremely physically fit for the series, simply because it's a matter of record that she was in very good shape during the shooting of the series. She obviously couldn't do the actual martial arts herself or benchpress 100 lbs or anything, but they worked both her and Gareth extremely hard. Joanna could run so fast the camera couldn't keep up with her, and neither could all the professional stuntpeople, even though she was wearing impractical footwear all the time. Now, obviously when the show finished, she wouldn't have to work so hard any longer, so I can't comment there. But while the show was going, Gareth and Joanna were both extremely fit, as everyone who worked on the series has attested to.

She was quite thin, though, much the way Diana Rigg got thin when the stain of doing the series and theatre work simultaneously took its toll. They worked the stars of these series too hard, looking back--it was borderline exploitation, really.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 04 Jan 2014, 04:50

Avengerland...a land of fantasy where 'ordinary' girls and guys are set up to succeed at doing extraordinary things ! Joanna said the stunt people made her look far better than she was :yes: She certainly doesn't LOOK extremely fit in that famed sitting Purdey pose, where she is wearing blue chiffon dress...extremely skinny :yes: ,yet that sleek Purdey-Bob and hauteur with posh voice to boot make her compulsive viewing :thumb: Linda Thorson spoke of the producers being wedded to an image, in her view, that was too skinny for an Avenger Girl ,after they put her on a diet to lose weight :yes: Purdey certainly, compared to what she was, before she did her training, was noticeably fitter to all her colleagues :thumb: Compared to Cathy Gale ask, John Steed :wink: ImageJoanna's favourite Purdey pose :thumb: Certainly could have added more leather to her wardrobe :wink: better on a windy day :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jan 2014, 14:54

martyoreen wrote:Avengerland...a land of fantasy where 'ordinary' girls and guys are set up to succeed at doing extraordinary things ! Joanna said the stunt people made her look far better than she was :yes: She certainly doesn't LOOK extremely fit in that famed sitting Purdey pose, where she is wearing blue chiffon dress...extremely skinny :yes: ,yet that sleek Purdey-Bob and hauteur with posh voice to boot make her compulsive viewing :thumb: Linda Thorson spoke of the producers being wedded to an image, in her view, that was too skinny for an Avenger Girl ,after they put her on a diet to lose weight :yes: Purdey certainly, compared to what she was, before she did her training, was noticeably fitter to all her colleagues :thumb: Compared to Cathy Gale ask, John Steed :wink: Joanna's favourite Purdey pose :thumb: Certainly could have added more leather to her wardrobe :wink: better on a windy day :lol:

Skinny doesn't necessarily equate with lack of muscle--Gareth was pretty lean, too, but when he did take his shirt of, you could see the muscle tone in his arms. Joanna couldn't have run the way she did if she hadn't been in shape. The producers wanted them to be able to run around and fight and such, so they weren't looking for them to be musclebound, but quick and agile and athletic. Neither Gareth or Joanna were exactly heavy before they started, though, so I doubt they were worried about their weight. Honor Blackman was also very fit, as she did all her own stunts, and had to do them "as live", so they couldn't bring in a double. Her spine suffered for those stunts as well.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jan 2014, 04:59

Agreed, it doesn't, as it doesn't necessarily equate with being fit either ! No questioning Gambit's fitness or muscle tone ! Purdey, with a bit more weight and muscle, would certainly have been a far more impressive Action Girl ! :thumb:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jan 2014, 15:02

martyoreen wrote:Agreed, it doesn't, as it doesn't necessarily equate with being fit either ! No questioning Gambit's fitness or muscle tone ! Purdey, with a bit more weight and muscle, would certainly have been a far more impressive Action Girl ! :thumb:

I think she did have pretty good muscle tone, it was just toned for flexibility, not strength. But she did get quite thin as she got tireder and tireder, and so did Gareth. It makes it a bit hard to watch some episodes because you can see they're run ragged and desperately need a break that they never got during the course of the show.
<<

martyoreen

Sweetie Darling

Post 11 Jan 2014, 02:57

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
martyoreen wrote:Agreed, it doesn't, as it doesn't necessarily equate with being fit either ! No questioning Gambit's fitness or muscle tone ! Purdey, with a bit more weight and muscle, would certainly have been a far more impressive Action Girl ! :thumb:

I think she did have pretty good muscle tone, it was just toned for flexibility, not strength. But she did get quite thin as she got tireder and tireder, and so did Gareth. It makes it a bit hard to watch some episodes because you can see they're run ragged and desperately need a break that they never got during the course of the show.[/quote ] Purdey as a ballerina ,in Obsession ,shocked me by how wimpish she looked compared to the ballerina who passes by her door !
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 Feb 2014, 15:12

Gareth would have been 72 today. Still not terribly old. Still much missed. :cry:

I always wonder if Joanna thinks of him today. I like to think she does.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Feb 2014, 23:27

Ah missed it by 2 days. For some reason I always think that he died in March, not sure why. But yes very sad, he died way too young :no:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Feb 2014, 02:12

Philippa wrote:Ah missed it by 2 days. For some reason I always think that he died in March, not sure why. But yes very sad, he died way too young :no:

No, you're right, he did die in March--March 14, to be exact. February 7 was his birthday, the last of which he spent with Joanna. They're a matter of weeks apart, sadly. Joanna said how frail he was when they went out to dinner together. He really was much too young. :crybaby:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2014, 10:30

Ah yes, I misread your post. Turns out my memory's not so bad after all! Very sad either way :no:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Feb 2014, 14:06

Philippa wrote:Ah yes, I misread your post. Turns out my memory's not so bad after all! Very sad either way :no:

It is. It's nice that you--and others--remember him, though. :yes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Feb 2014, 00:51

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I always wonder if Joanna thinks of him today. I like to think she does.

I'm sure she does - I like to think they always stayed close friends. Such a shame :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Feb 2014, 14:47

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I always wonder if Joanna thinks of him today. I like to think she does.

I'm sure she does - I like to think they always stayed close friends. Such a shame :no:

I have no doubt they did, given she was still going out with him alone on his birthday. Which makes it even more of a shame. :crybaby:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers