Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

General Avengers talk

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 15 Apr 2009, 06:18

General Avengers talk

Would you guys like a seperated topic for the Avengers to discuss the episodes? :whistle:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 15 Apr 2009, 06:26

Re: What are you watching?

Maartje wrote:Would you guys like a seperated topic for the Avengers to discuss the episodes? :whistle:

Philippa might. I haven't watched an original Avengers episode in ages (hopefully that'll change soon). The last thing I watched was the latest episode of "House." He's hallucinating about his friend's dead girlfriend. This can't be good. :hypnose:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Apr 2009, 09:28

Re: What are you watching?

Not necessarily, but wouldn't mind it either :whistle:
Just one more thing to add:
"Death of a Great Dane", is definitely a lot better than the remake, and I really enjoyed watching. Only the quality of that particular episode is quite bad, so you do really have to focus. (and I couldn't really watch it without subtitles) Normally I never have subtitles on, but I had to because of the poor sound quality sometimes. I do hope they will be able to restore them properly someday.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Philippa

Post 15 Apr 2009, 22:38

Re: The Avengers

Ahaha thanks for the separate topic Maartje :grin:

So now we're on about the Cathy episodes. I watched 'Second Sight' today. Now I am a big fan of the Cathy's, but this one was just a bit odd. The plot wasn't great, although there was some great interaction between Steed and Cathy. He just kept on improvising, forcing her into all these things she really didn't want to do. At some point she must've felt like slapping him, surely :lolol:
So quite thin on the plot, the ending was strange too, there was a fight and all of a sudden the episode was over. But the Steed/Cathy interaction was quite funny.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Apr 2009, 02:55

Philippa wrote:Ahaha thanks for the separate topic Maartje :grin:

So now we're on about the Cathy episodes. I watched 'Second Sight' today. Now I am a big fan of the Cathy's, but this one was just a bit odd. The plot wasn't great, although there was some great interaction between Steed and Cathy. He just kept on improvising, forcing her into all these things she really didn't want to do. At some point she must've felt like slapping him, surely :lolol:
So quite thin on the plot, the ending was strange too, there was a fight and all of a sudden the episode was over. But the Steed/Cathy interaction was quite funny.

I only have vague memories of this one, but Patrick was notorious for improvising, and I've read Honor commenting how she had to be on her toes all the time to keep up with him when he deviated from the script.

My favourite Gales are the ones that really left an impact, and that I rewatched as a result--The Nutshell, The Guilded Cage, The Wringer, The Charmers--some of the really gritty ones that exemplify the era at its best. Steed's forever being locked up as a traitor, but it makes for good TV. And do you realise that Cathy and Purdey are the only two Avengers girls to be shot? Shows that TNA owed about half its roots to Cathy.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Apr 2009, 21:46

^Those are a few of my favourites too! I also love The Medicine Men, Death Dispatch (despite the poor quality), Death on the Rocks, Don't Look Behind You,The Outside-In Man, The Little Wonders and The White Elephant.

I've noticed that most of my favourites are from series 3 :whistle:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Apr 2009, 06:39

Philippa wrote:^Those are a few of my favourites too! I also love The Medicine Men, Death Dispatch (despite the poor quality), Death on the Rocks, Don't Look Behind You,The Outside-In Man, The Little Wonders and The White Elephant.

I've noticed that most of my favourites are from series 3 :whistle:

I forgot about "Don't Look Behind You." That's another good one. I really have to watch the Cathys in order--I saw them in a hodgepodge, and to this day I don't know which are season 2 and which are season 3.
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Apr 2009, 15:28

I don't watch them in order either.
Someday I want to watch all the episodes in production order.

<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 17 Apr 2009, 16:31

Here are some of the wallpapers I promised you in the New Avengers pics topic Philippa .
I hope it's ok that I've posted them here ?
If they're not in the right place pls change them to wherever you want ...
(All credits go to the original artists)

Enjoy ... :wink:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Apr 2009, 17:17

That's absolutely fine. Thanks for posting :d

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Apr 2009, 20:46

Philippa wrote:I don't watch them in order either.
Someday I want to watch all the episodes in production order.

I think once I finish watching TNA in production order I'll do the originals next.
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Apr 2009, 09:47

I was just looking at all the wallpapers again, because I want to change mine. And I noticed, the wallpapers are always Emma or Tara or sometimes TNA. But there are never any Cathy wallpapers :sad:

<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 18 Apr 2009, 14:34

Philippa wrote:I was just looking at all the wallpapers again, because I want to change mine. And I noticed, the wallpapers are always Emma or Tara or sometimes TNA. But there are never any Cathy wallpapers :sad:

There were some on the PURRR website Philippa .
But it seems Patrick the owner of the site has closed his wallpapers section there because some of his work has appeared on other websites . Dunno which ones , it doesn't say . Really a shame , since they were great ... :cry:
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Apr 2009, 14:44

That IS a shame. Bastard copycats :chair:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Apr 2009, 17:07

Eric wrote:
Philippa wrote:I was just looking at all the wallpapers again, because I want to change mine. And I noticed, the wallpapers are always Emma or Tara or sometimes TNA. But there are never any Cathy wallpapers :sad:

There were some on the PURRR website Philippa .
But it seems Patrick the owner of the site has closed his wallpapers section there because some of his work has appeared on other websites . Dunno which ones , it doesn't say . Really a shame , since they were great ... :cry:

Oh dear. Since all the ones he's listed are TNA ones, I think it must be because I uploaded those ones to photobucket for you guys. I didn't mean any harm. I feel really bad now. I've taken them all down. Now I've ruined it for everyone. :sad: :no: :cry:
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 18 Apr 2009, 22:51

I dropped Patrick a line to aquire some more info on the matter .
Off course you didn't mean any harm Timeless , we all know that ... :wink:
And we don't know for shure it was your Photobucket site that did it .
I'll await Patrick's answer on the matter and we'll go from there .
Don't worry too much about it ...
<<

Philippa

Post 18 Apr 2009, 22:58

^I would be surprised if it was because of your photobucket account. I mean, people can't just access that can they? They have to have been given a link in order to see it. I think the wallpapers probably showed up on other people's websites, without proper crediting where they came from. Of coure it's just a guess, but that seems most logical to me.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Apr 2009, 06:08

Philippa wrote:^I would be surprised if it was because of your photobucket account. I mean, people can't just access that can they? They have to have been given a link in order to see it. I think the wallpapers probably showed up on other people's websites, without proper crediting where they came from. Of coure it's just a guess, but that seems most logical to me.

My photobucket account is open viewing, but the thing is it's unlikely you'd find your way there unless I've linked you. The only way you could is if you did a search for "Purdey" or "Gambit," and even then it wouldn't take you to the wallpapers because you have to give the picture a title for it to pop up in the search criteria, and only some of my pictures have titles that would come up on a TNA related search--maybe a dozen. And the wallpapers had no search criteria at all, so you'd really have to go looking for them--manually. That's what doesn't make sense to me. But they are all TNA, and I only uploaded TNA ones, so.... :|
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Apr 2009, 23:44

I still haven't finished 'Too Many Targets' :sad:
I know it's such a tiny book, but I just can't find the time and I only need to read a few more chapters. I get home between 11 PM and midnight most days, and then I'm too tired to read. And I wanna know how it ends!!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2009, 05:05

Philippa wrote:I still haven't finished 'Too Many Targets' :sad:
I know it's such a tiny book, but I just can't find the time and I only need to read a few more chapters. I get home between 11 PM and midnight most days, and then I'm too tired to read. And I wanna know how it ends!!

I can relate. I'm still trying to finish Roger Moore's biography, even though I've been on it for four months now. Just too much to do and not enough time to settle down and read properly, not rush. I promise you the fight scene at the end is worth the wait, though--Avengers unite! :great:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Apr 2009, 08:59

Oh I believe I've read part of the fight scene already, and it is indeed great.
I think I might just have to finish it today :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Apr 2009, 16:15

Philippa wrote:Oh I believe I've read part of the fight scene already, and it is indeed great.
I think I might just have to finish it today :lol:

It's a really good fight scene, too--usually I find them boring, but that one's a cracker.

I also love Emma and Cathy refusing to play cards with Steed--"You cheat!" They know him only too well. :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Apr 2009, 20:37

Just a random thought, it's so hard to put together a top 10 of episodes, even per series. On the Avengers forum, I managed to put a top 10 for series 4 together, and now there's a topic for a series 3 top 10 as well. I just don't know which ones to choose, there are really a lot of great episodes in series 3!

<<

Philippa

Post 05 May 2009, 14:59

Apparently Honor Blackman will be singing again soon :grin:

Shining bright again

The former Bond girl Honor Blackman is apparently taking over from where the late, great Eartha Kitt left off. A song called "The Star Who Fell from Grace", which was written for Kitt (she died last year), has now been taken up by Blackman, who at 83, is bringing it out as a single in June. A source said that she called the composer Adrian Munsey and lyricist Jeff Chegwin (brother of Keith) every day until they agreed for her to record the melancholy number, which tells the story of a fading female celebrity. One or two household names declined the offer before Pussy Galore pored over it.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-enter ... 76684.html

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 05 Jun 2009, 07:27

Guys - I need your help. :wink: I want to buy the coloured Emma Peel era on DVD, but the website unfortunately doesn't clearly see which one's which. (as they list the boxsets by episodes - and the printing of the cast isn't right, as Philly pointed out to me in Amsterdam)

So here's the list of DVDs Bol offers: which one should I buy?
Next

Return to The New Avengers