Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

General Class Act talk!

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Sep 2010, 13:22

Re: Class Act

Did she really? I don't think I ever remember Kate saying that!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 16 Sep 2010, 16:50

LunaFive wrote:Yesterday I meant I understood that Katie said something like "I'll have to reactivate Purdey...", can someone confirm that? It was the episode with the elderly people who were supposed to be been relocated.

She says she's going to "Get the old Purdey out," meaning, of course, the Purdey shotgun. Purdeys are the most expensive shotguns in the world, which is why Joanna chose the name for the character, but it's obviously meant to be an in-joke. In another episode, Richard Vernon complains that someone's "Stolen his Purdey," too. They had a lot of fun, those writers. :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Sep 2010, 17:07

thanks, Timeless, I had no idea that Purdey was a shotgun, too. I only knew one Purdey :lmao: And sometimes I just don't understand everything they say, especially Richard Vernon, he doesn't get his teeth apart :wink:

And Joanna choose the name Purdey at TNA? Really?
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Sep 2010, 18:52

LunaFive wrote:thanks, Timeless, I had no idea that Purdey was a shotgun, too. I only knew one Purdey :lmao: And sometimes I just don't understand everything they say, especially Richard Vernon, he doesn't get his teeth apart :wink:

And Joanna choose the name Purdey at TNA? Really?

I adore Richard Vernon from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as well as Class Act, but yes, I agree he can be hard to understand at times. He mumbles. But it works! :lol:

And yes, Joanna chose the name "Purdey" for her character. Originally she was going to be called "Charley," but since there was a perfume about to be released with the same name, Brian Clemens (the producer/creator of TNA) decided that it wouldn't be a very good idea to have a character's name promoting someone else's product. There are actually scripts around where she's still written as "Charley." He asked Joanna what she thought would be a good name, and she offered "Purdey," because, as I said earlier, Purdey shotguns are the most expensive and well-made in the world, and she thought the gun name would be a good one for an Avengers girl. Joanna also says that it was meant as a tribute to Sue Purdie, a fellow model from her modelling days, and that it was also liked because it had that "purrr" sound, to make it catlike, and because it was close to the American slang word for "pretty," purdie/purdy. So all in all, she said it was a "Good, tough name." And, as Class Act demonstrated, it made for good punny in-jokes. :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Sep 2010, 19:03

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I adore Richard Vernon from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as well as Class Act, but yes, I agree he can be hard to understand at times. He mumbles. But it works! :lol:

Mumbles, yeah, that's the word. I never saw the Hitchhiker's Guide... too bad.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:And yes, Joanna chose the name "Purdey" for her character. Originally she was going to be called "Charley," but since there was a perfume about to be released with the same name, Brian Clemens (the producer/creator of TNA) decided that it wouldn't be a very good idea to have a character's name promoting someone else's product. There are actually scripts around where she's still written as "Charley." He asked Joanna what she thought would be a good name, and she offered "Purdey," because, as I said earlier, Purdey shotguns are the most expensive and well-made in the world, and she thought the gun name would be a good one for an Avengers girl. Joanna also says that it was meant as a tribute to Sue Purdie, a fellow model from her modelling days, and that it was also liked because it had that "purrr" sound, to make it catlike, and because it was close to the American slang word for "pretty," purdie/purdy. So all in all, she said it was a "Good, tough name." And, as Class Act demonstrated, it made for good punny in-jokes. :lol:

I had no idea, thanks for explaining. Well, I think she choose definately the right name, Charlie wouldn't be right... reminds me of "Charlie's Angels". I think it's nice that the producer actually asked Joanna what she thought about it, usually the actors don't have much to say (like in Star Trek) so that's really a clever guy!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Sep 2010, 16:52

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I adore Richard Vernon from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, as well as Class Act, but yes, I agree he can be hard to understand at times. He mumbles. But it works! :lol:

Mumbles, yeah, that's the word. I never saw the Hitchhiker's Guide... too bad.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:And yes, Joanna chose the name "Purdey" for her character. Originally she was going to be called "Charley," but since there was a perfume about to be released with the same name, Brian Clemens (the producer/creator of TNA) decided that it wouldn't be a very good idea to have a character's name promoting someone else's product. There are actually scripts around where she's still written as "Charley." He asked Joanna what she thought would be a good name, and she offered "Purdey," because, as I said earlier, Purdey shotguns are the most expensive and well-made in the world, and she thought the gun name would be a good one for an Avengers girl. Joanna also says that it was meant as a tribute to Sue Purdie, a fellow model from her modelling days, and that it was also liked because it had that "purrr" sound, to make it catlike, and because it was close to the American slang word for "pretty," purdie/purdy. So all in all, she said it was a "Good, tough name." And, as Class Act demonstrated, it made for good punny in-jokes. :lol:

I had no idea, thanks for explaining. Well, I think she choose definately the right name, Charlie wouldn't be right... reminds me of "Charlie's Angels". I think it's nice that the producer actually asked Joanna what she thought about it, usually the actors don't have much to say (like in Star Trek) so that's really a clever guy!

The Hitchhiker's Guide is awesome, but then I'm a biased fan. :lol: It's probably the book/radio series/TV series combo that's ever been. :thumb:

Brian Clemens really liked Joanna (and still does), and he thought she was bright, too, so it's no wonder he asked her for input on the name. Brian's like that if he likes you, I think (if he doesn't, I don't think it goes nearly as well for you :lol: ). It was a good choice by Joanna in the end, though. I don't think anyone could see her as anything but a "Purdey" now. It's nice to see how the ideas of these characters evolved over time. Purdey was originally supposed to be Steed's niece, too, but that went out the window pretty fast.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 28 Sep 2010, 20:17

Re: General Class Act talk!

Lovely Class Act press pic for sale on Ebay :hearteyes:

There are several more, and not expensive at all!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 28 Sep 2010, 20:28

I'd like to have seen Brian's face if Joanna had said, "I think my character should be called 'Beryl'!"
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 28 Sep 2010, 20:59

HAHA!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Sep 2010, 02:17

Avengerdan wrote:I'd like to have seen Brian's face if Joanna had said, "I think my character should be called 'Beryl'!"

If she did, would that make her the woman Gareth was having an affair with in That Beryl Marston...!? I knew it! :lmao:

Great Class Act pictures--press photos, too. Always buy originals, kids. :thumb:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 29 Sep 2010, 10:03

Philippa wrote:Lovely Class Act press pic for sale on Ebay :hearteyes:

There are several more, and not expensive at all!

I noticed them, too but I have to hold back my money a bit, 2 short trips planned next month, I need money for souvenir-shopping :lmao: But I like the pictures, I had never seem them before.
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Jan 2012, 17:56

I've been rewatching all of Class Act now that I've got the DVD set, and both my parents really love it as well. We've only got 1 more episode to go, and it's been such a treat to watch the adventures of Kate, Gloria, and Jack again :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jan 2012, 18:11

Philippa wrote:I've been rewatching all of Class Act now that I've got the DVD set, and both my parents really love it as well. We've only got 1 more episode to go, and it's been such a treat to watch the adventures of Kate, Gloria, and Jack again :grin:

I rewatched the whole series in 2010, and I forgot how much I enjoyed it. :grin: It really is a great series, perhaps the most underrated (and forgotten) chapter of Joanna's career, competing as it was with the early days of AbFab. But it'll always be one of my favourite Joanna projects, not least because of the excellent John Bowe. I love Jack--what can I say? :wink:

It's funny you should post in this board, because I was thinking just the other day about a short fic idea featuring Kate. Maybe I'll actually write it one of these days, if I ever stop having so much work. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 11 Jan 2012, 19:03

Class Act fic? That sounds amazing! :squee:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 11 Jan 2012, 23:49

Philippa wrote:Class Act fic? That sounds amazing! :squee:

It would just be a short one, and it would be a crossover with something else, but yes, Class Act fic. I take it you're interested then? :whistle:
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Jan 2012, 19:39

Oh yes I'm definitely interested :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Jan 2012, 14:19

Philippa wrote:Oh yes I'm definitely interested :grin:

Oh, lovely, because I had lines bouncing through my head last night, and I was scribbling them down. It won't be long, but I definitely know what the structure's going to be and such. Hopefully it'll be entertaining. ^^

Since you've been rewatching the show, you wouldn't happen to remember the name of the newspaper Jack worked for, would you? There aren't any Class Act resources online, and I don't know where my DVDs are at the moment. Don't sweat it if you can't, but it would help. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2012, 20:55

Jack works for The Daily Post :happy:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jan 2012, 00:11

Philippa wrote:Jack works for The Daily Post :happy:

Thank you, Philippa dear. :hug: That's most helpful. :yes:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 14 Jan 2012, 19:51

Oeh, a Class Act fic - sounds interesting! Great idea, Timeless. :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jan 2012, 20:54

Mara wrote:Oeh, a Class Act fic - sounds interesting! Great idea, Timeless. :yes:

Thanks! :grin: I was just ruminating on crossovers to do, and one came to mind where Class Act would fit. Again, it won't be very long, but longer than the drabble I wrote for it a few years back. I already have some dialogue written, and I think it shall be fun to do. :yes: I'll be sure to post it here when it's finished. ^^
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 30 Jan 2012, 01:06

This might have been discussed before, but were there ever any outtakes? It's certainly something I would have loved to see :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Jan 2012, 08:23

Mara wrote:This might have been discussed before, but were there ever any outtakes? It's certainly something I would have loved to see :lol:

At least not on the DVD I have. So far I haven't seen any :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Jan 2012, 14:03

LunaFive wrote:
Mara wrote:This might have been discussed before, but were there ever any outtakes? It's certainly something I would have loved to see :lol:

At least not on the DVD I have. So far I haven't seen any :no:

I kind of doubt there were. The show was done back in the day before DVD extras, so there would be no reason to save bloopers and such, and it was also not a huge series, especially in comparison to AbFab, which had sort of taken over at that point. They probably didn't think they were of interest to anyone.
<<

Philippa

Post 30 Jan 2012, 14:05

It's a real shame. I would have loved to see some outtakes of Class Act. I bet they would've been hilarious :lol:

PreviousNext

Return to Class Act