Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

General Jennifer talk

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Feb 2012, 23:29

Re: General Jennifer talk

Philippa wrote:As far as I know she's still doing ok. Let's hope it stays that way :yes:

And I too admire the way she's handled it all with regards to the media etc.


That's good to hear. :yes: Hopefully she won't need to deal with any reoccurrences. ^^
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 11 Feb 2012, 09:40

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:If anyone has some spare money left: please donate to this cause. http://www.walkthewalkfundraising.org/jens_big_tits

Jennifer's organising a walk through London to raise money for a charity that fights against breast cancer. She's put together an amazing team with lots of famous faces (including Jane Horrocks and most of the Jam & Jerusalem cast) so please donate ^^


I tried to make a small donation but the site keeps telling me that my card dates are wrong. Well, I should know. Too bad, they just don't want my money :crybaby:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2012, 13:19

Re: General Jennifer talk

LunaFive wrote:I tried to make a small donation but the site keeps telling me that my card dates are wrong. Well, I should know. Too bad, they just don't want my money :crybaby:


I feel your pain Britta. :hug: They don't want my money either, just because it's made out of paper and not a load on non-existent ones and zeros fired into action by a magnetic strip. :no:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Feb 2012, 19:05

Re: General Jennifer talk

I read some tweets from others saying they had the same problem with their card, so I don't think you're the only one Britta :hug: Hardly an hour after I completed the transaction my bank called me to inform if it was really me who had donated the money, and not some kind of shady skimmer guy. Whoops :lol:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 12 Feb 2012, 10:04

Re: General Jennifer talk

Oh, so I am not the only one? Then I'm a bit relieved by now. I thought it had something to do with me IN PERSON, :lmao: Anyway, I think it's a shame that people cannot donate because of troubles in the system.

And Maatje, you even got a call if you really wanted to make a donation? My bank never calls me if I pay with my credit card... :shock:

Helen, I agree with you, they should provide an address where people could send it a few pounds if they want to. Not eveyone in the universe has electronic money to pay with!

I guess the poor Jen will have to walk without my money then. :cry:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Feb 2012, 13:24

Re: General Jennifer talk

LunaFive wrote:And Maatje, you even got a call if you really wanted to make a donation? My bank never calls me if I pay with my credit card... :shock:


Yes! They called me to say my payment didn't find my usual spending patron (why are they keeping track of this?) so I just told them it's a UK friend's charity. Let's hope Jen doesn't find out.. :whistle: :lol:

They've raised almost 5000 pounds already - amazing, isn't it? I can't help wonder why Jo isn't on her team...
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 12 Feb 2012, 18:10

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:
LunaFive wrote:And Maatje, you even got a call if you really wanted to make a donation? My bank never calls me if I pay with my credit card... :shock:


Yes! They called me to say my payment didn't find my usual spending patron (why are they keeping track of this?) so I just told them it's a UK friend's charity. Let's hope Jen doesn't find out.. :whistle: :lol:

They've raised almost 5000 pounds already - amazing, isn't it? I can't help wonder why Jo isn't on her team...


wow, your bank IS amazing. But I wouldn't want mine to keep track of what I'm buying or giving my money for :no:

Well, maybe Jo isn't on Jen's team because she wasn't ask? Don't kill me but I sometimes think that Jen is a bit cool towards Joanna. I am sure she would support her if she could - whether it was during her cancer treatment (but Jen didn't want to talk about that to her as I read - if it's true) and I have the impression that Joanna is much warmer and caring towards other people than Jennifer as she always gives me the impression that she is a rather "cold" person.
Of course we can only speculate, maybe she did ask her but Joanna has other plans already, I guess we never know. :huh:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Feb 2012, 18:20

Re: General Jennifer talk

LunaFive wrote:I am sure she would support her if she could - whether it was during her cancer treatment (but Jen didn't want to talk about that to her as I read - if it's true) and I have the impression that Joanna is much warmer and caring towards other people than Jennifer as she always gives me the impression that she is a rather "cold" person.


Hm, interesting. You're not to first to find Jennifer rather cool, but I think a lot of people mistake that for being shy. Jennifer and Joanna have very different personalities: Joanna is the outgoing, charming one of the two who likes to be the centre of attention (so is Dawn French) whilst Jennifer is the complete opposite, and I think that's why they work so well together. They're probably not BFF forever: they're both far to busy to maintain a very close friendship I suppose, but I have no doubts that they're very fond of each other.

My guess is that Jo was just too busy at the time - Dawn isn't on the list either, and I'm very sure Dawn is one of Jennifer's best friends.
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 13 Feb 2012, 10:38

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:
LunaFive wrote:I am sure she would support her if she could - whether it was during her cancer treatment (but Jen didn't want to talk about that to her as I read - if it's true) and I have the impression that Joanna is much warmer and caring towards other people than Jennifer as she always gives me the impression that she is a rather "cold" person.


Hm, interesting. You're not to first to find Jennifer rather cool, but I think a lot of people mistake that for being shy. Jennifer and Joanna have very different personalities: Joanna is the outgoing, charming one of the two who likes to be the centre of attention (so is Dawn French) whilst Jennifer is the complete opposite, and I think that's why they work so well together. They're probably not BFF forever: they're both far to busy to maintain a very close friendship I suppose, but I have no doubts that they're very fond of each other.

My guess is that Jo was just too busy at the time - Dawn isn't on the list either, and I'm very sure Dawn is one of Jennifer's best friends.


What does BFF mean? (my brain is not working fully right now, I have a cold, you know and I cannot find a clue for the meaningg of "BFF" in my brain right now :hypnose: )

Anyway, sure, Jennifer might be a shy person and Joanna definately is not but they know each other for such a long time now, I think she still could react a little warmer towards Jo. Anyway, I agree with you that they are probably very found of each other and it's not really buy business to speculate about it in the first place, it was just a thought I had.
I am sure Joanna and Dawn are busy or made just a silent donation :thumb:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Feb 2012, 11:07

Re: General Jennifer talk

BFF stands for 'best friends forever'.
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Feb 2012, 18:01

Re: General Jennifer talk

LunaFive wrote:Anyway, sure, Jennifer might be a shy person and Joanna definately is not but they know each other for such a long time now, I think she still could react a little warmer towards Jo. Anyway, I agree with you that they are probably very found of each other and it's not really buy business to speculate about it in the first place, it was just a thought I had.


We can always speculate, that's what a forum is for. But have you seen Jen's docu ''Laughing at the 90s'' and the way she reacts when Joanna walks in? Lots of touching and hugging there, it's very sweet :yes: (Did I mention how I find it a little odd that the Brits usually hug each other? In France or the Netherlands, they'd almost certainly have kissed each other on the cheek. Just a thought...)
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 13 Feb 2012, 18:15

Re: General Jennifer talk

Philippa wrote:BFF stands for 'best friends forever'.


Aaaahhhh! Never heard that one before, thanks for letting me know! :thumb:


Mara wrote:We can always speculate, that's what a forum is for. But have you seen Jen's docu ''Laughing at the 90s'' and the way she reacts when Joanna walks in? Lots of touching and hugging there, it's very sweet :yes: (Did I mention how I find it a little odd that the Brits usually hug each other? In France or the Netherlands, they'd almost certainly have kissed each other on the cheek. Just a thought...)


To be honest, exactly this is one of the samples I mean where she reacts rather coldly towards Jo, but maybe I'm just wrong here :huh:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2012, 03:16

Re: General Jennifer talk

Britta, I can totally understand why you would perceive Jennifer to be cold; she most definitely comes across as such. :yes: However, I agree with Maartje, I think it's just shyness and may I even use the word reserved? Jo's even said it herself on a number of occasions; in the beginning she found it difficult, she never knew what Jen wanted from her because Jen didn't react, she didn't give away anything at all. I think Jennifer has a very introverted personality and I also think that she's the sort of person you would have to know for a long time before you 'got', if you get my drift.

Anyway, of course you're entitled to think whatever you wish to think, my dear, and I'm certain that no-one here would ever dream of shooting you down for having an opinion, no matter how much it differed from their own. :hug:

People see different things in different people, that's just the way it is. But may I just throw something out there? I would suggest that the way Jennifer interacts with people on camera is entirely different to how she interacts with them behind closed doors. :yes:

Oh and before I go -- Maartje, I must ask; why do you find the hugging odd? I'm not having a go by the way, I'm genuinely interested! :happy:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2012, 09:46

Re: General Jennifer talk

I'm with Maartje on the hugging. I would hug my friends, but not just everyone. Both in the Netherlands and in France it's much more common to kiss each other on the cheeks than to hug, which is why both of us probably think that hugging is somewhat strange. At least not something you would just do with anyone.

For example: I once met Lauren's (who used to be an active member on this forum, but not anymore) mother and grandmother, and when we all said goodbye to them they hugged us. Now I know that in North America it's much more common to hug people (they're Canadian), but to me that felt strange and almost wrong. It felt really strange to hug someone's grandmother, because they way I've been brought up and what is perceived as normal over here, is that you either shake someone's hand, or if you know them a bit better you kiss them on the cheeks. But you don't hug them. So yeah, it's just a cultural difference I guess.

Hope that answers your question Helen :happy:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 14 Feb 2012, 10:58

Re: General Jennifer talk

Philippa wrote:I'm with Maartje on the hugging. I would hug my friends, but not just everyone. Both in the Netherlands and in France it's much more common to kiss each other on the cheeks than to hug, which is why both of us probably think that hugging is somewhat strange. At least not something you would just do with anyone.

For example: I once met Lauren's (who used to be an active member on this forum, but not anymore) mother and grandmother, and when we all said goodbye to them they hugged us. Now I know that in North America it's much more common to hug people (they're Canadian), but to me that felt strange and almost wrong. It felt really strange to hug someone's grandmother, because they way I've been brought up and what is perceived as normal over here, is that you either shake someone's hand, or if you know them a bit better you kiss them on the cheeks. But you don't hug them. So yeah, it's just a cultural difference I guess.

Hope that answers your question Helen :happy:


This is sure interesting! Here in Germany we normally don't kiss or hug like that. Friends and family okay, but never people we don't know or even just met.
I remember when I was in Monte Carlo years ago I met some people I was introduced to. They were French and I outstretched my hand for a greeting (I never met these people before) and then there was this sweaty guy who came kissing me on the cheeks. I didn't like that at all :no: and I guess I never recovered from that :lmao: But as I said if it's family or good friend, I'm okay with hugging and kissing on the cheek but to do that with a stranger, it's no a thing we Germans do :no:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2012, 11:34

Re: General Jennifer talk

Try walking into a room with at least 15 French people. You have to kiss them all on both cheeks. No wonder get togethers in France always go on for hours :lmao:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 14 Feb 2012, 12:37

Re: General Jennifer talk

Good point Helen! Unlike Jo, I think she acts different whenever there are cameras around: it's all part of the shyness. :yes:

Philippa wrote:Try walking into a room with at least 15 French people. You have to kiss them all on both cheeks. No wonder get togethers in France always go on for hours :lmao:


Quelle horreur! :lolol:

It's interesting though, this cultural differences. I hug close friends or people I haven't seen in a long time - a quick greeting is a kiss on both cheeks (and shaking hands is, like Philippa pointed out, for complete strangers). But then again, it all depends on the person whom you're with as well. Hence why I was a little surprised why Jo hugged me at the LIW, haha.
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 15 Feb 2012, 07:29

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:Try walking into a room with at least 15 French people. You have to kiss them all on both cheeks. No wonder get togethers in France always go on for hours :lmao:


Quelle horreur! :lolol:

It's interesting though, this cultural differences. I hug close friends or people I haven't seen in a long time - a quick greeting is a kiss on both cheeks (and shaking hands is, like Philippa pointed out, for complete strangers). But then again, it all depends on the person whom you're with as well. Hence why I was a little surprised why Jo hugged me at the LIW, haha.


That's really interesting that our ways of greetings are completely contrawise. Having to kiss 15 people, maybe even strangers, would be an ordeal for me, really :lmao:
And I agree with you, I too was surprised when Joanna embraced me, something I would have never thought would ever happen. I didn't mind her doing that btw :dance:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 09 Mar 2012, 21:30

Re: General Jennifer talk

Looks like Jen and Ade are going to be grandparents this year. This is what Ella tweeted today:

Ok so there's a reason you haven't got much outta me on the music front. Truth is i've been making something else.....a baby! 16weeks today


I think this is wonderful news and I'm happy for them! :dance:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Mar 2012, 00:31

Re: General Jennifer talk

Ah yes, I read that! She's going to be a young mum, but as long as she's happy... I'm sure Jen and Ade will make lovely grandparents :wub:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 12 Mar 2012, 07:48

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:Ah yes, I read that! She's going to be a young mum, but as long as she's happy... I'm sure Jen and Ade will make lovely grandparents :wub:


I am sure they will - and they sure will be funny one, too! :lmao:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 26 Jun 2012, 22:29

Re: General Jennifer talk

Zigga ziggah! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... torms-back

As much as I love the girls and Jen, I probably won't get a ticket but I've had 'Wannabe' stuck in my head for the entire evening. Result!
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 27 Jun 2012, 06:27

Re: General Jennifer talk

Mara wrote:Zigga ziggah! http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/thea ... torms-back

As much as I love the girls and Jen, I probably won't get a ticket but I've had 'Wannabe' stuck in my head for the entire evening. Result!


Hm, the link seems to be broken :no:

But I'm with you, I won't buy a ticket, I'm not a fan of the Spice Girls (to be honest, I can't stand Victoria Beckham at all) but I hope for Jennifer that it's going to be a success.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 27 Jun 2012, 10:01

Re: General Jennifer talk

Oh I'm exactly with you when it comes to Victoria (yesterday I tried to find a picture of her smiling - mission not succeeded) It's mere youth sentiment, their songs were my life as a kid. I'm guessing that's what Judy Cramer and Jennifer had in mind too: the 'Spice' generation is now in their twenties.

Ok, here are the links I wanted to post:
goo.gl/o5C6w
goo.gl/FVZB1
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Jun 2012, 14:49

Re: General Jennifer talk

I don't think I'd want to see the musical either. For some reason it just doesn't appeal to me, even though I used to adore the Spice Girls. But of course I do hope for Jen that it'll be a success :yes:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
PreviousNext

Return to Absolutely Fabulous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred