Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

General ''Sapphire & Steel'' talk

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 02 Jun 2010, 20:43

Re: General ''Sapphire & Steel'' talk

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The beginning's usually a good place. :lol: That's how I'm going about it--start with assignment one, and take them in the order in which they were intended, and made.

I very seldom watch a series from the first beginning - I basically start with an episode/series fans tend to like best, so I can tell if it's really something for me. I started off with series 4 (followed by 5) of AbFab and I did the same with TNA.

So.. preferences, anyone? :lol:

I do that sometimes. Depends whether I start by watching it on TV or DVD. TNA I watched on TV originally, so I ended up seeing season 2 first, before it cycled around to season one. If I'm buying/renting it, then sometimes I'll look for a popular season, or, in most cases, I'll read the descriptions and decide which one sounds most appealing to me. But some series are only available to be purchased in complete show sets and never end up on TV, so those ones I watch from the beginning, and in the case of S&S I have the whole set and I'm going to watch the whole thing no matter what, so it doesn't make much sense for me to start in the middle or something.

Obviously as I've only watched one assignment I'm not much good for suggestions, but I will say as a newbie I found assignment one an enjoyable slow burn that did a good job of introducing me to the series. So don't know if that helps. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 02 Jun 2010, 22:45

Assignments 2 and 5 are definitely my favourites. But we can watch them when you come to France, Maartje. Because I've got the complete DVD box here :grin:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 02 Jun 2010, 22:55

Philippa wrote:Assignments 2 and 5 are definitely my favourites. But we can watch them when you come to France, Maartje. Because I've got the complete DVD box here :grin:

Oh, that sounds like a plan! About time I'd start waching some Sapphire and Steel, hihi.
<<

Kim

Post 03 Jun 2010, 00:15

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The beginning's usually a good place. :lol: That's how I'm going about it--start with assignment one, and take them in the order in which they were intended, and made.

I very seldom watch a series from the first beginning - I basically start with an episode/series fans tend to like best, so I can tell if it's really something for me. I started off with series 4 (followed by 5) of AbFab and I did the same with TNA.

So.. preferences, anyone? :lol:

I do that sometimes. Depends whether I start by watching it on TV or DVD. TNA I watched on TV originally, so I ended up seeing season 2 first, before it cycled around to season one. If I'm buying/renting it, then sometimes I'll look for a popular season, or, in most cases, I'll read the descriptions and decide which one sounds most appealing to me. But some series are only available to be purchased in complete show sets and never end up on TV, so those ones I watch from the beginning, and in the case of S&S I have the whole set and I'm going to watch the whole thing no matter what, so it doesn't make much sense for me to start in the middle or something.

Obviously as I've only watched one assignment I'm not much good for suggestions, but I will say as a newbie I found assignment one an enjoyable slow burn that did a good job of introducing me to the series. So don't know if that helps. :grin:

Same here. Obsession is what got me started on TNA, an era I had avoided for years because of my initial disappointment that Mrs. Peel wasn't in the series. It was only because of Timeless that I ever started to watch the series at all and as I said in an earlier post, one thing led to another...Anyway, if certain episodes are pointed out more than others, I tend to check one or two of those out first to see if they can grab my attention. If they do, then I'll usually watch from beginning to end. :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2010, 00:38

Kim wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do that sometimes. Depends whether I start by watching it on TV or DVD. TNA I watched on TV originally, so I ended up seeing season 2 first, before it cycled around to season one. If I'm buying/renting it, then sometimes I'll look for a popular season, or, in most cases, I'll read the descriptions and decide which one sounds most appealing to me. But some series are only available to be purchased in complete show sets and never end up on TV, so those ones I watch from the beginning, and in the case of S&S I have the whole set and I'm going to watch the whole thing no matter what, so it doesn't make much sense for me to start in the middle or something.

Same here. Obsession is what got me started on TNA, an era I had avoided for years because of my initial disappointment that Mrs. Peel wasn't in the series. It was only because of Timeless that I ever started to watch the series at all and as I said in an earlier post, one thing led to another...Anyway, if certain episodes are pointed out more than others, I tend to check one or two of those out first to see if they can grab my attention. If they do, then I'll usually watch from beginning to end. :happy:

I wasn't really keen when I watched TNA at first, either--I was an Emma or nothing kind of girl. But I think that because I had absolutely rock-bottom expectations for it, that actually worked in my favour, because I was expecting nothing and ended up being really pleasantly surprised. I think that's true a bit of S&S, too--I was expecting it to be more along the "horror" spectrum than it is, but we'll see how the next assignment goes. I'm so glad I helpd get you into TNA, though, Kim--it can use every fan it can get. ^^
<<

Kim

Post 03 Jun 2010, 20:41

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Kim wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I do that sometimes. Depends whether I start by watching it on TV or DVD. TNA I watched on TV originally, so I ended up seeing season 2 first, before it cycled around to season one. If I'm buying/renting it, then sometimes I'll look for a popular season, or, in most cases, I'll read the descriptions and decide which one sounds most appealing to me. But some series are only available to be purchased in complete show sets and never end up on TV, so those ones I watch from the beginning, and in the case of S&S I have the whole set and I'm going to watch the whole thing no matter what, so it doesn't make much sense for me to start in the middle or something.

I wasn't really keen when I watched TNA at first, either--I was an Emma or nothing kind of girl. But I think that because I had absolutely rock-bottom expectations for it, that actually worked in my favour, because I was expecting nothing and ended up being really pleasantly surprised. I think that's true a bit of S&S, too--I was expecting it to be more along the "horror" spectrum than it is, but we'll see how the next assignment goes. I'm so glad I helpd get you into TNA, though, Kim--it can use every fan it can get. ^^

Actually, I think the TNA fandom is getting bigger. At least that's my perception. When I first joined David's forum, TNA seemed to be the family member nobody talked about, or if they did, it was in muttered asides. At that point, my feelings were that the only way you could get me to watch that era was by having Gambit dance naked on the screen *Down Timeless! Down Girl!* :lmao: Anyway, watching TNA opened up a whole new world for me, especially in exploring the works of the lovely Ms. Lumely.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jun 2010, 01:26

Kim wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Kim wrote:Same here. Obsession is what got me started on TNA, an era I had avoided for years because of my initial disappointment that Mrs. Peel wasn't in the series. It was only because of Timeless that I ever started to watch the series at all and as I said in an earlier post, one thing led to another...Anyway, if certain episodes are pointed out more than others, I tend to check one or two of those out first to see if they can grab my attention. If they do, then I'll usually watch from beginning to end. :happy:

Actually, I think the TNA fandom is getting bigger. At least that's my perception. When I first joined David's forum, TNA seemed to be the family member nobody talked about, or if they did, it was in muttered asides. At that point, my feelings were that the only way you could get me to watch that era was by having Gambit dance naked on the screen *Down Timeless! Down Girl!* :lmao: Anyway, watching TNA opened up a whole new world for me, especially in exploring the works of the lovely Ms. Lumely.

The TNA fandom has grown by leaps and bounds over the years, yes. A lot of people have simply come around to the fact that if you watch it for its own merits, it can be very enjoyable, whereas before most people tried to pretend it didn't exist. The general availablity of the episodes and a desire to branch out beyond Emma I think has pushed it, along with Joanna's high profile and the screenings on BBC4. There are so many flavours of Avengers, and I think people are missing out if they don't try them all. TNA will always hold a special place for me because it was what really encouraged me to look beyond the Emma era, and to try out so many other period shows that I've come to love over the years. It's linked me to a lot of things, just the way it has you. So I'm glad it gets more love now, especially Gambit. Gareth was long overdue a little appreciation after all the abuse he got over the years. Even if he never did the dance. Don't tease me so, Kim. :brows:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Jul 2010, 00:14

I've caught myself no longer watching this series after I finished the second assignment - I was just too freaked out, haha. I guess that's my punishment for ignoring this show for such a long time. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 21 Jul 2010, 00:25

Mara wrote:I've caught myself no longer watching this series after I finished the second assignment - I was just too freaked out, haha. I guess that's my punishment for ignoring this show for such a long time. :lol:

Heh, I thought I was supposed to be the one who freaked after Assignment 2? :lmao: I guess I've just watched enough sci-fi and read enough warnings in books that I was sort of prepared for it. There's lots of good stuff in there to see, though, if you feel up to continuing. I delayed watching that show for something like three years because I thought I was going to be terrified by it, but I ended up really enjoying it. But I can see it not being to everyone's taste, so don't go on if you think it's only going to make you unconfortable. :hug:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Aug 2010, 14:34

I've been watching a little bit of Toby Whithouse's Being Human, of which I've heard so much about the past couple of years. It's not bad, but there was a little treat in the episode last night. It's a long story, but one of the characters is a ghost, and she decides she wants to haunt her murderer. Unfortunately, she's not very good at it, so she tries to come up with scary things to say to him along the lines of "I am death, I am darkness." And then she starts to run out of ideas, and goes "I am diamonds and dust, and sapphire, and, uh...steel?"

Made me giggle. :lmao: They also played the Scissor Sisters! :squee:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Aug 2010, 15:19

^Ooh that's lovely :grin: Always nice when something you like gets recognition in another series!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Aug 2010, 19:33

Philippa wrote:^Ooh that's lovely :grin: Always nice when something you like gets recognition in another series!

Isn't it? I just about died when Gene started talking about Steed and the Avengers on LoM. I guess he's a S&S fan, too. :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Aug 2010, 21:36

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Isn't it? I just about died when Gene started talking about Steed and the Avengers on LoM. I guess he's a S&S fan, too. :lol:

Or the TNA references in Class Act... epic! It's a neat reference you have there though, love it!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Aug 2010, 23:11

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Isn't it? I just about died when Gene started talking about Steed and the Avengers on LoM. I guess he's a S&S fan, too. :lol:

Or the TNA references in Class Act... epic! It's a neat reference you have there though, love it!

I adore the TNA references in Class Act--it's probably the only series to do it other than AbFab, and for that reason (one of many), I shall love that show forever. :grin: But it's nice to see S&S get a mention, too. It works because the show's very much in the sci-fi/horror vein, like S&S. What else would a ghost watch? :lmao:
<<

xBloodthirstyx

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 01 Oct 2010, 19:47

Lmao.
I love it when shows put 'subtle' references to other shows
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Oct 2010, 14:44

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Maartje wrote:

I adore the TNA references in Class Act--it's probably the only series to do it other than AbFab, and for that reason (one of many), I shall love that show forever. :grin: But it's nice to see S&S get a mention, too. It works because the show's very much in the sci-fi/horror vein, like S&S. What else would a ghost watch? :lmao:

Haha true that :lol:

I was watching Being Human a few days back, and there was a Sapphire & Steel reference in there as well.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Oct 2010, 17:06

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Maartje wrote:Or the TNA references in Class Act... epic! It's a neat reference you have there though, love it!

Haha true that :lol:

I was watching Being Human a few days back, and there was a Sapphire & Steel reference in there as well.

I know--I posted about it half a dozen posts up, and you answered! :lmao:

Being Human is good, though, isn't it? We get the second season starting next week, and I'm looking forward to it. :yes:
<<

Philippa

Post 25 Oct 2010, 08:56

Haha seriously? Well this forum grows and grows and I can't keep track of everything that I or anyone else has posted :lmao: It just comes to show that we have great taste in TV series apart from the usual Joanna related stuff :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Oct 2010, 19:40

Philippa wrote:Haha seriously? Well this forum grows and grows and I can't keep track of everything that I or anyone else has posted :lmao: It just comes to show that we have great taste in TV series apart from the usual Joanna related stuff :lol:

That it does--Joanna attracts good TV watchers. :wink: I find I repeat myself on threads, too. At least it shows my mind works consistently. :lmao:

I enjoyed Being Human so much I bought the first season DVD. I didn't think it'd be quite my cup of tea, much the way I did Sapphire and Steel, but I've found the horror aspects, which I'm less big on, were more than made up for in both series. Series two starts on Thursday here! :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Oct 2010, 18:11

Cool! I've not seen series 2 yet either. Apparently they're filming series 3 at the moment, so there's loads of goodness to come :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 29 Oct 2010, 02:07

Philippa wrote:Cool! I've not seen series 2 yet either. Apparently they're filming series 3 at the moment, so there's loads of goodness to come :grin:

Yes, they're working on season 3 as we speak. And an American remake...

I've just discovered that the new season is on too late for me to watch, alas. I guess that's what DVDs are for. :doubt:
Previous

Return to Sapphire & Steel