Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Have you ever written to her?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 31 Dec 2010, 14:28

Have you ever written to her?

Another topic, gone! I'm sure the lucky few on this forum who received something back are willing to share their experiences... or at least the scans. :wink:

And, of course, the address for those who want to give it a go:

Joanna Lumley
Conway Van Gelder Grant Ltd.
8-12 Broadwick Street
3rd Floor
London W1F 8HW
UK

(this is the right one, isn't it?)
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:03

Re: Have you ever written to her?

This is the address I used:

Joanna Lumley
Independent Talent Groupd ltd.
Oxford House
76 Oxford Street
London
W1N 0AX
UK

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:48

That's interesting, because I did send a letter to her PA using the first address but it did take a while. Perhaps both addresses are correct?
<<

Philippa

Post 31 Dec 2010, 15:51

I guess so. I got a reply when I sent something to the other address so they're probably both correct.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 01 Jan 2011, 00:13

I sent to her back in March I think it was and I still haven't got a reply yet. :sad:
I used your address Philippa.
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jan 2011, 12:39

Perhaps it has changed then. I sent my letter 2.5 years ago and I got a reply within 2 weeks. But we've sent a birthday card on behalf of the forum twice now to the same address and never got a reply, so perhaps she's switched agents in the meantime. It's possible.

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jan 2011, 12:45

Philippa wrote:Perhaps it has changed then. I sent my letter 2.5 years ago and I got a reply within 2 weeks. But we've sent a birthday card on behalf of the forum twice now to the same address and never got a reply, so perhaps she's switched agents in the meantime. It's possible.

I wouldn't think of that. Maybe she just doesn't reply to any birthday or thank-you cards or whatever :huh:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jan 2011, 12:48

But Becka sent a letter and never got a reply either, whereas I did get a reply to my letter. I've no idea, it was just a guess but I think it's possible.

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jan 2011, 12:58

Philippa wrote:But Becka sent a letter and never got a reply either, whereas I did get a reply to my letter. I've no idea, it was just a guess but I think it's possible.

Okay, that is strange. Maybe it was lost. Maybe she should try it out again, if then there's still no reply the address might be "dead" :confused:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Jan 2011, 13:53

Philippa wrote:Perhaps it has changed then. I sent my letter 2.5 years ago and I got a reply within 2 weeks. But we've sent a birthday card on behalf of the forum twice now to the same address and never got a reply, so perhaps she's switched agents in the meantime. It's possible.

We did get a reply the second time but only because I had included a letter asking if it'd be possible for us to meet Jo in London. And her PA said she wouldn't have the time. HA. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 01 Jan 2011, 14:54

We should send her PA a couple of our pictures accompanied by a note saying: SEEEEEEEEE!!
:tongue:

<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 01 Jan 2011, 15:23

Shall I dare to send another one to Mara's address this time ? - i'm scared !! :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Jan 2011, 16:18

I'm sure you could give it a go, although I'd probably wait for Joanna to come back from the States. I doubt if they're sending her mail all across the ocean to be honest.

Philippa wrote:We should send her PA a couple of our pictures accompanied by a note saying: SEEEEEEEEE!!
:tongue:

We really ought to, though I doubt if she'd even remember my letter. Slightly ironic though, according to her PA she ''wouldn't have the time to meet us'' though when we addressed Joanna personally she almost immediately came out of the theatre to say 'hi' and thanks. So lesson one guys: don't listen to the PA's. :lol:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 01 Jan 2011, 16:38

Maartje wrote:I'm sure you could give it a go, although I'd probably wait for Joanna to come back from the States. I doubt if they're sending her mail all across the ocean to be honest.

Okay, i'll leave to about about March then it would have been a year that I sent the last one.
Fingers crossed for this time though. :lol:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 01 Jan 2011, 23:06

It usually depends on the mood of the PA; it is always pot luck!

I used the Oxford Street one, although, why don't you try the other one in about February time Becka?
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 05 Jan 2011, 11:24

JackieO wrote:It usually depends on the mood of the PA; it is always pot luck!

I used the Oxford Street one, although, why don't you try the other one in about February time Becka?

I'll start writing my new letter sometime this week or next and then send it off near the end of the month. Thanks Laura, i'll do that then. :hug:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jan 2011, 18:11

bexyshortcake wrote:
JackieO wrote:It usually depends on the mood of the PA; it is always pot luck!

I'll start writing my new letter sometime this week or next and then send it off near the end of the month. Thanks Laura, i'll do that then. :hug:

Fingers crossed for you, Becka, I hope it will work out for you this time! :thumb:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 05 Jan 2011, 18:34

Thank you Britta. :hug:
I know roughly what to put in it but any other help with what to write in fan mail, I wouldn't want to bore her ? :lol:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jan 2011, 19:36

bexyshortcake wrote:Thank you Britta. :hug:
I know roughly what to put in it but any other help with what to write in fan mail, I wouldn't want to bore her ? :lol:

Well, I'm not sure if this helps, but I wouldn't write too much the first time (maybe if you could give her the letter yourself, it could be a longer one if necessary but as probably she (or her PA) will have a ton of letters to go through I wouldn't write 20 pages :wink: ). Just tell her while you like her, that you like her work (style, movies, whatever) and be yourself. As long as you write respectfully and nice, you can't do much wrong. I hope that helps but that's what I did when I gave her my gift and letter in London and the next day she thanked me for my eloquent letter (as I always apologize for my English due to grammar errors I do since it's not my native language).
I'm sure you'll do fine!!! :hug:
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 05 Jan 2011, 20:38

LunaFive wrote:
Well, I'm not sure if this helps, but I wouldn't write too much the first time (maybe if you could give her the letter yourself, it could be a longer one if necessary but as probably she (or her PA) will have a ton of letters to go through I wouldn't write 20 pages :wink: ). Just tell her while you like her, that you like her work (style, movies, whatever) and be yourself. As long as you write respectfully and nice, you can't do much wrong. I hope that helps but that's what I did when I gave her my gift and letter in London and the next day she thanked me for my eloquent letter (as I always apologize for my English due to grammar errors I do since it's not my native language).
I'm sure you'll do fine!!! :hug:

In my first one I wrote about my favourite Jo documentary, Ab Fab and a few other things and also wished her good luck in La Bete - with the thanks of Laura.
Okay - thanks Britta !! :hug:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 06 Jan 2011, 12:46

The ''only mention the things you really loved her in'' didn't exactly work for me as I've seen (and loved) her in so many projects already. :lol: I think my letter counted 5 or 6 pages but I gave it to her personally and told her she wouldn't have to read it all if she didn't want to. Two days later she remembered to thank me for it so I presume she did read it in the end..

I agree with Britta that it would be best to keep your letter short if you need to get in touch with her PA first. I should also say that it can take a really long time before you get something back: I received a letter from her assistant nearly two months after I had wrote it and I'm fairly sure it never even reached Jo.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 06 Jan 2011, 19:46

Maartje wrote:The ''only mention the things you really loved her in'' didn't exactly work for me as I've seen (and loved) her in so many projects already. :lol: I think my letter counted 5 or 6 pages but I gave it to her personally and told her she wouldn't have to read it all if she didn't want to. Two days later she remembered to thank me for it so I presume she did read it in the end..

I agree with Britta that it would be best to keep your letter short if you need to get in touch with her PA first. I should also say that it can take a really long time before you get something back: I received a letter from her assistant nearly two months after I had wrote it and I'm fairly sure it never even reached Jo.

Well, I guess I was just lucky when I wrote her last year (before I knew that I would ever fly to London) and got a reply pretty soon. But I am not 100 % sure that Joanna ever read my first letter so that's why I wrote something from what I wrote in my first letter in the second one, too. Of course I could have written many more pages but I forced myself to make it short.

I would think that now would be a pretty good time to write her because she sure will be home soon from New York and who knows when she starts travelling again.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 07 Jan 2011, 16:52

Okay thank you girls for all of your help - i'll get writing this weekend. :hug: :smooch:
<<

joannafrenchfan

Target

Post 16 Jan 2011, 09:34

Actually I tried writing to her last summer, and sent my letter to the address mentioned above, though I didn't get a reply from Joanna. As I'm a big fan of hers and really wanted her autograph, I was clever enough to send my request to the Music Box Theatre in New York City, where Joanna was performing in La Bête. My letter was forwarded to her and she signed every single photograph I had enclosed! :hyper: She even wrote in French on two of the photos. I will post scans later for ya'll to see! :wink:

http://img222.imageshack.us/i/numrisation0001go.jpg/
http://img291.imageshack.us/i/numrisation0002pj.jpg/
http://img718.imageshack.us/i/numrisation0003h.jpg/
http://img521.imageshack.us/i/numrisation0004f.jpg/
Last edited by joannafrenchfan on 16 Jan 2011, 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
<<

Philippa

Post 16 Jan 2011, 09:53

^That was a very clever move of you, and how fantastic that she signed your photographs (even in French!). I'll look forward to seeing them :grin:

Next

Return to Joanna discussion