Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Hi!

<<

Faces

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 17 Feb 2011, 11:58

Hi!

New fan here! :wave: So, it all started with Ab Fab, I hadn’t seen anything with Joanna before and I absolutely loved Pats so I tried to find out what more she had done. I watched some of her films (Shirley Valentine, The Tale of Sweeney Todd, Boogie Woogie et c) and docs (The Nile one was very interesting), but I must say I was most impressed by her TV work, such as the incredibly well-written bittersweet drama Sensitive Skin and Up in Town (I’m very curious about Blick’s other work, has anyone seen Marion & Geoff?). Sensitive Skin is definitely one of my favourite TV shows; great music, witty, intimate, simple yet so touching, mature… oh well, I could go on and on. All in all, she’s a great actress and comedienne, and very inspiring as a person. Currently watching The New Avengers!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 17 Feb 2011, 13:56

Re: Hi!

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum. I really like your banner + avatar!

:wave:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Feb 2011, 14:25

Hello there and welcome. Enjoy watching TNG. I agree with you, Sensitive Skin is a brilliant show and so is Up in Town which I love both. But Joanna has done so many great stuff, I'm sure you'll enjoy her in her other movies, too. and I agree with Maartje, you have a wonderful banner and avatar! :wave:
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 17 Feb 2011, 20:49

Welcome! :wave: I'll add to the avatar compliments, and add that I hope you're enjoying TNA. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 17 Feb 2011, 22:06

Hi there, welcome :wave:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 20 Feb 2011, 08:09

Welcome! What's your name? :wave:
<<

Faces

Post 21 Feb 2011, 21:52

Thanks everyone! ^^

Becky wrote:Welcome! What's your name? :wave:

Oh, forgot the name. Haha. Anna. From Sweden!
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 21 Feb 2011, 22:59

SWEDEN! :squee: I like Swedish people. Do you like Agnetha Faltskog at all? :whistle: or ABBA?
<<

Faces

Post 21 Feb 2011, 23:58

Lucky me! :grin: Haha. Nah, I wouldn't call myself a fan, but I like some of their songs. I think Lay All Your Love On Me is my favourite.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Feb 2011, 06:31

Faces wrote:Thanks everyone! ^^

Becky wrote:Welcome! What's your name? :wave:

Oh, forgot the name. Haha. Anna. From Sweden!

Oh from Sweden, how nice! Is it still that pretty cold there? I have a friend in Sweden who told me that they had -23°C last week... :huh:
<<

Faces

Post 22 Feb 2011, 10:07

Yeah, it's cold. I hate the winter! ... and it never seems to end :crybaby:. We have -14° C right now, but it varies a lot depending on where you live in Sweden. In the north it's like -21° C and in the south it's -5° C (at least today). Still cold though. Everywhere :angry:.
Where are you from?
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Feb 2011, 10:30

Another Sweden lover here :wave:
I have a relative who lives in Stockholm.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 22 Feb 2011, 13:47

Faces wrote:Yeah, it's cold. I hate the winter! ... and it never seems to end :crybaby:. We have -14° C right now, but it varies a lot depending on where you live in Sweden. In the north it's like -21° C and in the south it's -5° C (at least today). Still cold though. Everywhere :angry:.
Where are you from?

Oh boy, I don't envy you, with all these cold months and then these early sundowns... I'm freezing too right now, because we have at least -4°C with strong winds that make it feel like at least -10°C. I'm from Northern Germany by the way, I live at the coast :germany:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2011, 13:52

LunaFive wrote:
Faces wrote:Yeah, it's cold. I hate the winter! ... and it never seems to end :crybaby:. We have -14° C right now, but it varies a lot depending on where you live in Sweden. In the north it's like -21° C and in the south it's -5° C (at least today). Still cold though. Everywhere :angry:.
Where are you from?

Oh boy, I don't envy you, with all these cold months and then these early sundowns... I'm freezing too right now, because we have at least -4°C with strong winds that make it feel like at least -10°C. I'm from Northern Germany by the way, I live at the coast :germany:

That is getting chillier, Britta. I'm living on the coast for the first time, and the wind off the water can be pretty wicked. I used to live on the prairies, though, and we'd get -40° C occasionally, so I'm not complaining when it's -3° C. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Feb 2011, 18:01

-40 degrees?! That's madness! I lived quite close to the sea before I moved to Amsterdam and I'm already having trouble adapting to the winter here. :lol: (note to self: if you ever go to Canada, go in summer!)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2011, 19:22

Maartje wrote:-40 degrees?! That's madness! I lived quite close to the sea before I moved to Amsterdam and I'm already having trouble adapting to the winter here. :lol: (note to self: if you ever go to Canada, go in summer!)

Ha, ha, well, that's the stereotype--cold Canada. :lmao: I will say that's not true for most of the country, though--the prairies (Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba) get cold in winter because there aren't huge bodies of water, etc. to regulate the temperature. But the rest of the country doesn't get anywhere near as cold in the winter--Vancouver thinks 2 degrees above zero is frigid, and is pretty terrified of snow, and Victoria grows flowers all year long. It's pretty mild on the Atlantic coast, too. And most place in Canada'll bake you to death in the summer, too (40 degrees about zero in the Okanagan Valley. There's a reason it was called semi-desert!). But, yeah, I can't deny the prairie winters can be rough, though you get used to it, believe it or not. :lol:
<<

Faces

Post 22 Feb 2011, 19:52

LunaFive wrote:Oh boy, I don't envy you, with all these cold months and then these early sundowns... I'm freezing too right now, because we have at least -4°C with strong winds that make it feel like at least -10°C. I'm from Northern Germany by the way, I live at the coast :germany:

Germany? Nice! I've studied some German, and I've been there a couple of times... and I've got a friend from Germany! Woo. AND I like your song for this year's Eurovision (Lena - Taken by a Stranger, right?). :germany:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I used to live on the prairies, though, and we'd get -40° C occasionally, so I'm not complaining when it's -3° C.

:help: :help: :help:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2011, 20:18

Faces wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I used to live on the prairies, though, and we'd get -40° C occasionally, so I'm not complaining when it's -3° C.

Like I said, that only happens occasionally, not all the time. :lmao: You'll all think Canada's the land of perpetual snow and ice now--it's not true at all. :lol:
<<

Faces

Post 22 Feb 2011, 20:28

Haha. I believe you! Sweden has the same reputation, hell, some believe we have polar bears walking on the streets.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 22 Feb 2011, 22:02

Faces wrote:Haha. I believe you! Sweden has the same reputation, hell, some believe we have polar bears walking on the streets.

Same here. Perhaps one day our two countries could have an urban-dwelling polar bear swap? :lmao:

I'd love to go to Sweden one day, btw. It always sounds fabulous. ^^
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 23 Feb 2011, 06:43

Faces wrote:
LunaFive wrote:Oh boy, I don't envy you, with all these cold months and then these early sundowns... I'm freezing too right now, because we have at least -4°C with strong winds that make it feel like at least -10°C. I'm from Northern Germany by the way, I live at the coast :germany:

Germany? Nice! I've studied some German, and I've been there a couple of times... and I've got a friend from Germany! Woo. AND I like your song for this year's Eurovision (Lena - Taken by a Stranger, right?). :germany:

Oh you like her new song? I have to admit, I don't even know it because I think it's stupid that she's going to sing again this year, she'll never win. They make such a hype here with that girl that it's too much. there are other good singers out there, too, not only this one. It's nice that you have a friend from Germany and even been here a few times. I'm sorry to say that so far I never made it to Sweden, but I would love to come there some day!

-40°C? I shall never complain about our temperatures here again! :zip: :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 Feb 2011, 14:04

LunaFive wrote:

It's the Canadian badge of honour--ain't no one going to tell me what cold is. :lmao:
<<

Faces

Post 25 Feb 2011, 12:44

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Faces wrote:Haha. I believe you! Sweden has the same reputation, hell, some believe we have polar bears walking on the streets.

Same here. Perhaps one day our two countries could have an urban-dwelling polar bear swap? :lmao:

Haha, yeah! And make a TV show out of it, like that silly Wife Swap programme. :lol: It would definitely be a hit... or not.

LunaFive wrote:Oh you like her new song? I have to admit, I don't even know it because I think it's stupid that she's going to sing again this year, she'll never win. They make such a hype here with that girl that it's too much. there are other good singers out there, too, not only this one.

Well, it's a subtle, sophisticated pop song (something you rarely hear in the Eurovision where vulgarity blossoms, haha), I don't think it'll win but it's a good song. I agree, it's strange that she competes again... that she dares, I mean. From what I've heard, she sang all the entries? So it was more a Lena concert than a competition, why did they decide to do it that way? (it hasn't always been like that, right?)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Feb 2011, 14:01

Faces wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Haha, yeah! And make a TV show out of it, like that silly Wife Swap programme. :lol: It would definitely be a hit... or not.

Bear Swap? Maybe on one of those outdoor life channels. :lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 25 Feb 2011, 19:05

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
LunaFive wrote:

It's the Canadian badge of honour--ain't no one going to tell me what cold is. :lmao:

Haha reminds me of last Wednesday. Our last lecture of the day was until 5 pm, and about halfway through it started snowing. So we were kind of annoyed because we needed to go out soon and we were getting a bit sick of snow and cold. And I noticed that our lecturer, who's Canadian, was smiling when she watched us panic over a teeny tiny bit of snow. She probably thought we were such wimps for kicking up a fuss over a few snowflakes :lol:

Next

Return to Welcome