Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

How Not To Write a New Avengers Novel

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 18 May 2009, 21:43

Re: How Not To Write a New Avengers Novel

Now I want that book too!!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 May 2009, 05:19

Khell wrote:Yep, and even though I do think "K" does have its moments, I'd have preferred "Dirtier" to be the two-parter ... Excuse me, please. *scrambling for her copy of "Fighting Men"*

I actually think K is for Kill was a bad choice for a two-parter--the first part is pretty draggy and dull actually. Things don't really pick up til part two. It's a pity--the first Avengers two-parter since the Keel era, and it was underwhelming. Dirtier would have been much better. Or Faces.

(I've already got my copy out, and I'm tempted to reread it. Best Avengers novel, hands down. Philippa, get yourself a copy! You won't regret it!)
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 19 May 2009, 22:50

Yes, do get it, if you can. I promise you'll never want to let go of it again! :d
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 May 2009, 17:04

More idiocy from the novel House of Cards. Remember how I said I had this idea that Purdey and Gambit were really thick before I started watching the show? Here's why:

Steed: "He's trying to kill you, Mike."
Gambit: "Don't understand, Steed."

Don't understand? Don't understand? Sure, Gambit would be surprised, and a little thrown off-balance. Maybe he'd say something simple like "What?" or duck a blow and say "You're telling me." But "I don't understand." Someone's trying to kill you. There's not a lot of "understanding" needed there.

Gambit proves annoyingly thick later on. It takes 3/4 of a page for him to figure out Steed's point, which should be glaringly obvious (Steed even says as much). And when he does get it, what does he say?

"Wow! So we're up against a suicide squad."

Wow? Wow? Erm, last time I checked, Gambit didn't say "wow." Maybe it's just me, but that sounds weird written for him.

I'll just leave off with this bit, where Purdey not only calls Gambit an "idiot" twice (which, despite her put-downs, she never used on the series), and Gambit retorts with the incredibly out-of-character (not to mention sexist) remark: "You women. No sense of logic whatsoever."

I need to go lie down now. Too much out of character dialogue to read in one go.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 25 May 2009, 17:08

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I'll just leave off with this bit, where Purdey not only calls Gambit an "idiot" twice (which, despite her put-downs, she never used on the series), and Gambit retorts with the incredibly out-of-character (not to mention sexist) remark: "You women. No sense of logic whatsoever."

Ugh, I hate those kind of jokes to. My boss is really fond of them though: ''one could better keep up chickens instead of a woman...'' Pardon?! Anyway - I'm getting off-topic here, but I really do hate sexist remarks.

And the examples of lines you've just mentioned... they're so not TNA! :hypnose: (I feel your pain)
<<

Philippa

Post 25 May 2009, 17:09

I'm on the verge of a breakdown after reading this. It'll either be fainting or vomiting.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 25 May 2009, 17:10

*hugs Philly*

And people actually bought this stuff? :no:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 May 2009, 17:21

Maartje wrote:*hugs Philly*

And people actually bought this stuff? :no:

They put a nice picture of our heroes on the cover, so they probably went with that. Seriously, only two of the novels are this bad. The other four are pretty good (one being outstanding).

But seriously, Gambit may like the ladies, but I'd never call him sexist. He's pretty interested in the two-way back-and-forth, and I'd say he and Purdey have bags of respect for each other. Which makes writing her as a shrewish bitch (see "idiot" comment above) all the more annoying. :tongue:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 25 May 2009, 20:54

Oh, I can see Gambit go "wow!" over Purdey. Imagine they're about to leave Steed's place for a reception where they gotta - I dunno, "babysit" some big number or something like that. Her coming down the stairs in an absolutely stunning dress. Gambit definitely would go "wow!" there. And stare at her and slowly take his hands out of his pockets. And stare some more. :d

Other than that, I think Gambit's banished "wow" from his vocabulary. Good thing I watched the show before I got the novels. If I'd had those two novels - To Catch a Rat and House of Cards - before I saw the show, I might not have given it a chance.

But Fighting Men really is excellent. I know it's not nice to lough at someone who's starvin but a starving Purdey, now THAT ... *giggles* You know what? I'm gonna put that Larry-story online and then, I'll grab Fighting Men and read it. The whole book. Cos I also love that stuff about the model soldiers. Hilarious!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 May 2009, 06:11

Khell wrote:Oh, I can see Gambit go "wow!" over Purdey. Imagine they're about to leave Steed's place for a reception where they gotta - I dunno, "babysit" some big number or something like that. Her coming down the stairs in an absolutely stunning dress. Gambit definitely would go "wow!" there. And stare at her and slowly take his hands out of his pockets. And stare some more. :d

Other than that, I think Gambit's banished "wow" from his vocabulary. Good thing I watched the show before I got the novels. If I'd had those two novels - To Catch a Rat and House of Cards - before I saw the show, I might not have given it a chance.

But Fighting Men really is excellent. I know it's not nice to lough at someone who's starvin but a starving Purdey, now THAT ... *giggles* You know what? I'm gonna put that Larry-story online and then, I'll grab Fighting Men and read it. The whole book. Cos I also love that stuff about the model soldiers. Hilarious!

I stand corrected--I can see that scene in my mind, just perfectly (love the bit where he takes his hands out of his pockets, a little Gambit idiosyncrasy I thought only I'd noticed. Brilliant!). But it would be a quieter wow, a nice husky one, said in the same way that Gambit says "yesss" sometimes, with the "s" right in the back of his throat. Know what I mean? His voice sort of drops down an octave--see that bit in "Last of the Cybernauts" where he's watching Purdey do her exercises (right after he puts his hand on hers). ANd then, like in that scene, he'd do a little once-over eye flick. So yes, there'd be a wow in there. And Purdey would of course be basking in it and doing a little turn for his benefit. She doesn't mind being admired--not modest that way! :lol: But otherwise, Gambit's not a "wow! Golly!" kind of guy. Maybe after he'd inhaled some helium or something, but otherwise...

Those were my first two books--Rat, and Cards. I bought "Rat" way back when I was still getting into Emma, and stopped reading it. Never finished it. Did finish "Cards" which has a decent plot despite the bad dialogue. But I did read "Fighting Men" and a couple of others, too. Anyway, it worked out for the best. Because I had rock-bottom expectations for TNA, when I watched it on TV, I was really, really, really surprised. And I started with season 2, too! So it all worked out for the best.

I love the bit where Purdey puts her leg across the model soldier battlefield to get them to pay attention, and a totally soused Prentice and Steed just prattle on about that being an old trick. I've dug out my copy, too, and I'm tempted to read it for what must be the fifth time. Starving Purdey never gets old, either. Or the bit where Purdey and Gambit are locked up and can't talk, and Gambit has to get Purdey to put her hand in his pocket. The way it's written is just so hilarious I'm going to crack up just thinking about it. :lol:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 26 May 2009, 07:44

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:Oh, I can see Gambit go "wow!" over Purdey. Imagine they're about to leave Steed's place for a reception where they gotta - I dunno, "babysit" some big number or something like that. Her coming down the stairs in an absolutely stunning dress. Gambit definitely would go "wow!" there. And stare at her and slowly take his hands out of his pockets. And stare some more. :d

I stand corrected--I can see that scene in my mind, just perfectly (love the bit where he takes his hands out of his pockets, a little Gambit idiosyncrasy I thought only I'd noticed. Brilliant!). But it would be a quieter wow, a nice husky one, said in the same way that Gambit says "yesss" sometimes, with the "s" right in the back of his throat. Know what I mean? His voice sort of drops down an octave--see that bit in "Last of the Cybernauts" where he's watching Purdey do her exercises (right after he puts his hand on hers). ANd then, like in that scene, he'd do a little once-over eye flick. So yes, there'd be a wow in there. And Purdey would of course be basking in it and doing a little turn for his benefit. She doesn't mind being admired--not modest that way! :lol: But otherwise, Gambit's not a "wow! Golly!" kind of guy. Maybe after he'd inhaled some helium or something, but otherwise...

Mushrooms. There's mushrooms out there that will do strange things to you. Maybe someone slipped him some mushrooms. Only thing I can think of to make Gambit go "wow" in circumstances other than those you and I described.

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Those were my first two books--Rat, and Cards. I bought "Rat" way back when I was still getting into Emma, and stopped reading it. Never finished it. Did finish "Cards" which has a decent plot despite the bad dialogue. But I did read "Fighting Men" and a couple of others, too. Anyway, it worked out for the best. Because I had rock-bottom expectations for TNA, when I watched it on TV, I was really, really, really surprised. And I started with season 2, too! So it all worked out for the best.

I love the bit where Purdey puts her leg across the model soldier battlefield to get them to pay attention, and a totally soused Prentice and Steed just prattle on about that being an old trick. I've dug out my copy, too, and I'm tempted to read it for what must be the fifth time. Starving Purdey never gets old, either. Or the bit where Purdey and Gambit are locked up and can't talk, and Gambit has to get Purdey to put her hand in his pocket. The way it's written is just so hilarious I'm going to crack up just thinking about it. :lol:

Aaaaah, evil, evil work. If it wasn't for that, I'd start reading at once! Well, maybe this evening. After I've done my first part of editing of the looooooong story ...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 26 May 2009, 16:44

Khell wrote:Mushrooms. There's mushrooms out there that will do strange things to you. Maybe someone slipped him some mushrooms. Only thing I can think of to make Gambit go "wow" in circumstances other than those you and I described.

Aaaaah, evil, evil work. If it wasn't for that, I'd start reading at once! Well, maybe this evening. After I've done my first part of editing of the looooooong story ...

Gambit on mushrooms...oh, help! Actually, there is a bit where they drug Gambit in the "House of Cards" novel, remember? And he sits there all grinny and babbling about how he likes the movies and stuff. There's your "wow" moment right there, when he's stoned out of his mind. Come to think of it, that'd explain a lot of that novel. :lmao:

I wanna read it, too, but there are too many things going on. Oh well. I expect we'll both get to it eventually. We always do. :wink:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 26 May 2009, 19:34

Gambit: Oh wow, you look absolutely lovely! *dopey grin* Wonderful!
Steed: *frown* Gambit, have you been into those mushrooms again?

:lmao:
<<

Philippa

Post 26 May 2009, 23:44

Khell wrote:Gambit: Oh wow, you look absolutely lovely! *dopey grin* Wonderful!

That would've been some good television :lmao:
*sighs* if only..

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 May 2009, 06:19

Khell wrote:Gambit: Oh wow, you look absolutely lovely! *dopey grin* Wonderful!

The clincher is when Steed finds him lying behind the couch drinking Schnapps (we all know how he feels about that) and singing "Love is the Drug" with a very bad Bryan Ferry impression. Oh yes, and he'll be encouraging Purdey to have a good time on her date. That's when they'll take him to the hospital fearing brain damage. :wink:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 27 May 2009, 07:38

Gambit: Hey, Purdey! Have fun on your date! Hope you'll enjoy it!
Purdey: *blink* Right, who are you and what have you done to Gambit?

:grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 27 May 2009, 11:05

I'm guessing the Schnapps washed Gambit away :lmao:

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 27 May 2009, 13:58

*lol*
Ah, poor Gambit! Always being made fun of. Thank god he can bear it like a man. ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 May 2009, 16:58

Khell wrote:Gambit: Hey, Purdey! Have fun on your date! Hope you'll enjoy it!
Purdey: *blink* Right, who are you and what have you done to Gambit?

:grin:

Poor Purdey--Gambit's given her quite a scare. She's going to think Terry Walton's made an appearance again. :wink:

Philippa wrote:I'm guessing the Schnapps washed Gambit away :lmao:

Along with most of his brain cells. Should never have mixed with the mushrooms. :lol:

Khell wrote:*lol*
Ah, poor Gambit! Always being made fun of. Thank god he can bear it like a man. ;)

That seems to be his lot in life. But not only can he take it, in reality it's all part of a cunning plan to make Purdey feel sorry for him and cancel her date. Reverse psychology, you know? "Go have fun," is code for, "Come over here and fawn over me." Mission Accomplished. :wink:

But I'm betting his Bryan Ferry impression still would leave something to be desired:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci9jA_4O3GI
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 02 Jun 2009, 16:56

"All right now, sweetheart. Mrs. Milner is at home to guests."

So says Gambit to Purdey as I continue to plumb the depths of awful lines from House of Cards. So you don't have to!

"Mike, this is so sudden," Purdey tries to joke, when Gambit throws himself on top of her to keep her from getting shot. Er, I can see what you're trying to do here, Peter dear, and following it up with Gambit saying "I was just beginning to enjoy that," is the right move, but that Purdey line? Close but no cigar. Ditto having her say "No way" a few lines later. :rolleyes:

Sexist Gambit makes a reappearance: "Whoever said that women have no sense of logic?" Presumably the bit where Purdey gives him a good kicking and leaves him in the ditch by the road was cut for length reasons. And old Mike would have to be high as a kite before he'd start calling Purdey things like "Little Miss Bright."

Even when he gets the dialogue right, the descriptor is wrong. When Purdey and Gambit are stuck in a phone box being gassed, Purdey asks what they should do. "Try not to breathe for about ten minutes?" Gambit suggests. Bang on. I can hea Mike say that. But then you read the rest, and he's smiling apologetically and offering it up "hopefully." Gambit would say that grimly, quite flat, almost monotone. Tsk.

And I'll just sum up by saying that no one in Avengerland, least of all Purdey, should ever, ever use the term "Superfreaky." Uy.
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jun 2009, 22:59

You know, after airing the Emmas and all the Taras, Arte are now actually airing the New Avengers, too! I'll love them for that forever! Yay! I missed the first two episodes (stupid me - they were on yesterday but I forgot to watch) but caught "House of Cards" today. And guess what? Of course, the German voices made me cringe at first but when I kept watching, I did remember why I fell for the New Avengers the very first time I saw them (in German, mind you). They didn't literally translate the original dialogue but if you ask me, they got the atmosphere right. There actually were parts that made me laugh out loud.

I also like how they handle our three adressing each other. Between Gambit and Purdey, it's the more familiar "du" but they both adress Steed as "Sie" (using the more formal form of you) which kinda makes sense since he's their boss, right? And it's only the third episode, after all, so they have been working together but maybe aren't as familiar with each other as later on, yet.

All in all - I prefer the original version but really, the German dubbing is so much better than some of the quotes Timeless gave us from that abominable book. Only down-side is: They cut some of the best scenes! *wail* Purdey's fight with Spence. And Steed and Gambit finding out the bishop's Purdey's stepfather. But I think if they put the New Avengers on DVD, too, I'll get them. Just to have the German version at hand and properly compare it to the original version.

Yes, I definitely do remember why I fell in love with the New Avengers almost on first sight ... Darn good show, even with German dubbing.
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Jun 2009, 23:07

Timeless A-Peel wrote:"All right now, sweetheart. Mrs. Milner is at home to guests."

So says Gambit to Purdey as I continue to plumb the depths of awful lines from House of Cards. So you don't have to!

"Mike, this is so sudden," Purdey tries to joke, when Gambit throws himself on top of her to keep her from getting shot. Er, I can see what you're trying to do here, Peter dear, and following it up with Gambit saying "I was just beginning to enjoy that," is the right move, but that Purdey line? Close but no cigar. Ditto having her say "No way" a few lines later. :rolleyes:

Sexist Gambit makes a reappearance: "Whoever said that women have no sense of logic?" Presumably the bit where Purdey gives him a good kicking and leaves him in the ditch by the road was cut for length reasons. And old Mike would have to be high as a kite before he'd start calling Purdey things like "Little Miss Bright."

Even when he gets the dialogue right, the descriptor is wrong. When Purdey and Gambit are stuck in a phone box being gassed, Purdey asks what they should do. "Try not to breathe for about ten minutes?" Gambit suggests. Bang on. I can hea Mike say that. But then you read the rest, and he's smiling apologetically and offering it up "hopefully." Gambit would say that grimly, quite flat, almost monotone. Tsk.

And I'll just sum up by saying that no one in Avengerland, least of all Purdey, should ever, ever use the term "Superfreaky." Uy.

*cringes*
Yeah those things just sound awful, and I know I keep saying this, but have they actually watched TNA? :yuck:

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 02 Jun 2009, 23:13

*imagination running wild again*

Gambit: Wow!
Purdey: Superfreaky!
McKay: *deep frown* What's wrong with them?
Steed: *heavy sigh* They got into their roles a little too much.
McKay: Roles?
Steed: Yes. Terry Walton and Lolita.
McKay: Oh.
<<

Philippa

Post 02 Jun 2009, 23:49

Khell wrote:*imagination running wild again*

:lmao: Brilliant!!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 02:59

Khell wrote:You know, after airing the Emmas and all the Taras, Arte are now actually airing the New Avengers, too! I'll love them for that forever! Yay! I missed the first two episodes (stupid me - they were on yesterday but I forgot to watch) but caught "House of Cards" today. And guess what? Of course, the German voices made me cringe at first but when I kept watching, I did remember why I fell for the New Avengers the very first time I saw them (in German, mind you). They didn't literally translate the original dialogue but if you ask me, they got the atmosphere right. There actually were parts that made me laugh out loud.

I also like how they handle our three adressing each other. Between Gambit and Purdey, it's the more familiar "du" but they both adress Steed as "Sie" (using the more formal form of you) which kinda makes sense since he's their boss, right? And it's only the third episode, after all, so they have been working together but maybe aren't as familiar with each other as later on, yet.

All in all - I prefer the original version but really, the German dubbing is so much better than some of the quotes Timeless gave us from that abominable book. Only down-side is: They cut some of the best scenes! *wail* Purdey's fight with Spence. And Steed and Gambit finding out the bishop's Purdey's stepfather. But I think if they put the New Avengers on DVD, too, I'll get them. Just to have the German version at hand and properly compare it to the original version.

Yes, I definitely do remember why I fell in love with the New Avengers almost on first sight ... Darn good show, even with German dubbing.

Oh, wow! TNA in German! I know it was aired pretty often over there, because Gareth Hunt was always talking about how much fan-mail he got from Germany whenever it came back on, right up until he died (and all asking him to confirm whether or not Gambit and Purdey were sleeping together. I kid you not). That's really fascinating, how they've got Purdey and Gambit addressing Steed formally (like the equivalent of "vous" in French), and that they've rewritten the dialogue. Any lines that are really different from the original that you can pass on? I've never heard anyone talk about alternate dialogue before, so I'm really interested (and yes, some of it is probably way better than the novels). Bummer they've cut out parts of the eps, though.

Khell wrote:*imagination running wild again*

Sounds like stoner Purdey and Gambit actually. I want to add a "wow, like totally way out there, man!" to end of that dialogue. And a bong. Brilliant! :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers