Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

How To Write A New Avengers Novel

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 03 Jul 2009, 19:14

How To Write A New Avengers Novel

Yes, I did promise a "sequel" thread of sorts with some good bits from TNA novels for a change, lest you think House of Cards was an accurate representation of the TNA books. Fighting Men is an adaptation of the episode Dirtier by the Dozen, which was great in itself, but the book is even better. It starts deviating from the TV episode when Gambit goes to rescue Purdey from her cell. Instead of escaping, Gambit is captured, too. Gambit has heard what Miller is planning, though, and he fills Purdey in while they sit in the cell.

G: "He's going to put us in the Atlantic."
P: "What, and I haven't a thing for the beach."
"In the middle. In a box."
"Oh, well that's different. I won't need anything grand." :lmao:

Later...

P: "Cheer up, it could be worse."
G: "How?"
P: "They could be putting us in our box."
As she said it a key turned in the lock and Seargeant Bowden, amply supported by five soldiers, appeared.
"Right. Time for you two to get into your box."
G: "You were ight. Things could be worse, and they are."

Steed finds Purdey and Gambit in said box.

"Is Purdey there? Is she all right?"

P: "I haven't had any breakfast." World War 3 is coming, but Purdey's hungry, :lmao:
S: "I'll see you later."
P:" What about my breakfast?"
S: "I'll take you to the Ritz tomorrow."
P: "I wish he would hurry up. I'm getting hungry."

Later, Purdey and Gambit end up in the back of the enemy's plane. They're locked in their box, and are about to be dumped in the ocean.
P: "Mike, have you ever thought of going into something a little less exciting? A new line of work?"
G: "I have. I would like to resign now. Do you think anyone will take any notice?"

More later.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 03 Jul 2009, 23:37

Re: How To Write A New Avengers Novel

Those lines are brilliant. I can totally picture these dialogues between Purdey and Gambit. I love how Purdey keeps going on about food :lmao:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 04 Jul 2009, 00:00

Haha, those lines are rather brilliant indeed! Purdey and food, always a funny combination. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jul 2009, 05:52

Philippa wrote:Those lines are brilliant. I can totally picture these dialogues between Purdey and Gambit. I love how Purdey keeps going on about food :lmao:

Aren't they just? I love them because I could hear Gareth and Joanna saying those lines exactly. Justin Cartwright, the author, had a great ear for their dialogue. He clearly had watched the show, and knew how the characters worked. That's why it's all so funny. And yes, Purdey goes on about food for the entire rest of the book. Miller locked her up and didn't give her any food, see. So she wants breakfast. You'll see more lines with her complaining about her empty stomach to Gambit, who starts getting annoyed at her, and then gets hungry himself. I told you--this book is genius! :hyper:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 04 Jul 2009, 08:18

Agreed. Pure genius. I really have to re-read it. Oh, and btw, it's really brilliant where it doesn't stray from the episode, too. This book's probably the reason why I like Uncle Elly so much ... ;)
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 04 Jul 2009, 11:29

Ah, reading these lines makes me want to watch TNA so badly. Which is rather strange, since I'm going through a huge Sensitive Skin phase now. :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 04 Jul 2009, 16:53

Khell wrote:Agreed. Pure genius. I really have to re-read it. Oh, and btw, it's really brilliant where it doesn't stray from the episode, too. This book's probably the reason why I like Uncle Elly so much ... ;)

I just know I took some of the stuff from that book for my Uncle Elly in my fanfics. Remember I read the books before watching the show, so for awhile I swore it was in the series Purdey said he was her mother's brother, and a few other things, but no, twas the book. :lol:

I should reread it, too, but it's too tempting to skip to the funny bits, as I'm doing here. I'll put in all the breakfast bits, I promise. :wink:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jul 2009, 08:23

Ah, the mother's brother was in the books? Hm, ok, then I'm going after the show for my Beginnings story, where it's not mentioned, and still have him be her father's brother. ;)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 05 Jul 2009, 16:40

Khell wrote:Ah, the mother's brother was in the books? Hm, ok, then I'm going after the show for my Beginnings story, where it's not mentioned, and still have him be her father's brother. ;)

Yes, so it's not canon. So she can still be Purdey Foster. I just liked the idea of Uncle Elly as her mum's brother, so I went with it. :grin:
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jul 2009, 18:26

I'm looking for the book on Ebay, but no luck so far :no:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 06 Jul 2009, 07:45

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Khell wrote:Ah, the mother's brother was in the books? Hm, ok, then I'm going after the show for my Beginnings story, where it's not mentioned, and still have him be her father's brother. ;)

Yes, so it's not canon. So she can still be Purdey Foster. I just liked the idea of Uncle Elly as her mum's brother, so I went with it. :grin:

Yep, that way, the eccentric streak in Purdey would definitely be coming from her mother's side. :tongue:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jul 2009, 16:39

Khell wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Yep, that way, the eccentric streak in Purdey would definitely be coming from her mother's side. :tongue:

Makes sense, doesn't it? :tongue:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 17 Jul 2009, 18:08

The good novel lines continue!

Purdey refuses to tell Colonel Miller anything. Miller leaves.

Purdey sat on the empty box and whistled a tune cheerfully until Miller came back.

Miller: "Changed your mind?"
P: "Yes."
M: Good.
P: Yes, I've decided I don't like you after all. :lmao:

It continues in this vein:

M: The world is in a state of war. We operate on that assumption at all times here.
P: What a rousing little speech.

The colonel, as Purdey rightly suspected, had never hit a lady, though he was tempted. He turned on his heel. He paused at the door.
M: You will not be fed until you tell me who you are and who sent you.
P: Oh good. I was thinking of going on a diet anyway.
:lmao:
Isn't it all classic Purdey? Miller wants to kill her, but she keeps smiling and saying witty things (you can see why she starts getting hungry, though).

Later on, when Gambit's undercover, Purdey hears Gambit talking to someone outside her cell. I just love the descriptor.

"It was Gambit's voice, without a doubt, although sounding slightly strangled as though he were trying to impress his bank manager." :lol:

Later, when Gambit tries to get Purdey out, things don't go as well as in the episode. Purdey and Gambit are tied up to be put in their box. They also have their mouths taped up, which leads to some great dialogue. This is exactly how it's spelt in the book, I swear.

P: Mmma aargh.
G: Aargh, mmhgh.
"Which was Gambit's attempt at "we can't go on meeting like this." The joke was lost on Purdey."

Later on.

Gambit was struggling to get at the small, titanium steel knife he kept in his inside pocket. His hands were securely tied behind his back. If only he could get Purdey to help.

"Aaarghh," he said.

"Whhaagh?" she replied.

In the dark they were packed together like chummy sardines; he turned his back to her and with his fingers tried to guide her hand inside his pocket. Purdey mistook his intentions for a moment.

"Nnghaargh."

But Gambit insisted, Her hands closed on something. She understood now what he was getting at, and tried to say sorry, but it came out like a dog growling at a postman."

Sounds about right. Gambit tries to get them out, and Purdey thinks he's getting fresh. I can just see Gareth doing one of his "look to heaven/give me strength" expressions. :lmao: More later.
<<

Philippa

Post 17 Jul 2009, 18:39

I now officially love the person who wrote this :lmao:

<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 17 Jul 2009, 22:01

Loved him ever since I first read that book. :)
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 18 Jul 2009, 02:41

Khell wrote:Loved him ever since I first read that book. :)

We all love him for actually writing decent dialogue. Of course, I'd love him even more if he'd written another book! :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jul 2009, 10:18

If anyone ever comes accross a copy of this on Ebay or anywhere else, please tell me, because I'd really love to have it!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 Jul 2009, 18:53

Philippa wrote:If anyone ever comes accross a copy of this on Ebay or anywhere else, please tell me, because I'd really love to have it!

You used to trip over TNA paperbacks whenever you went on ebay, but since I have them all I haven't been paying attention. But if I see one, I'll let you know.
<<

Joris

Sweetie Darling

Post 20 Jul 2009, 19:32

I had written an original story once with Steed and Mrs Gale, the action took place in Cornwall and there was the famous "ghost theme" which was used. I'll try to put it online around the break in October, I had put 12 chapters online, on the French forum. I've got to translate them one by one but there's no problem at all. I want you to read it.
Don't move or...I call the New Avengers rightaway !
<<

Philippa

Post 20 Jul 2009, 19:53

Great! If you decide to put it online, you can post a link in the 'fanfiction' thread :happy:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Aug 2009, 18:59

Forgot all about this with everything that's been going on.

Poor Purdey and Gambit find themselves locked together in a cell.

P: Try not to blame yourself. We'll think of something.
Gambit looked round the room. The door was about three inches thick of solid steel and there was no window.
G: What do you propose? We dig our way out with my biro?
P: Tssk, tssk, Mike, don't get tetchy.

Later...The Hunger theme continues.
Gambit kep the gun pointing at the door.
P: I wish something would happen. I am going to die of starvation soon."

P:"This is no fun on an empty stomach.:
G: "I'm very fond of you, Purdey, but I do wish you would stop talking about food."
P: I'm having fantasies. Apple pie and ice cream. Large breakfast with pork sausages and eggs. My mind is going.

But wait! Gambit has something:

Gambit removed a piece of chocolate from the inner recesses of his newly-acquired uniform.
G: I'm afraid it's a bit soft on account of the heat, but would you like some?
P: Like some? If you don't watch out I'll take your hand and the wrapper in one gulp."
He watched Purdet eat, wearing a pair of trousers nine sizes too big for her and a white satin bra. The sight was so absurd he began to laugh uncontrollably.

You aren't the only one, Gambit. :lmao:

Yay, Purdey and Gambit are off the plane and in Africa. Unfortunately, things aren't going well.

P: How are we going to get to town?
G: Can you ride a donkey?
P: Probably.
G: There are boufnd to be some aorund.
P: Into battle on a donkey. Terrific.
They rounded up two donkeys and were soon jogging uncomfortably down the road into town, a strange sight in the moonlight with their FN rifles and their ill-fitting uniforms.

I'm sorry but the mental imagery of Purdey and Gambit bouncing along on donkeys is just priceless. The New Avengers--always glam. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Aug 2009, 21:20

Haha, I love it, thanks for typing it up! Especially the conversation about food is great, I can just picture them sitting there, just the two of them, while the only thing Purdey has got on her mind is marshmallows. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Aug 2009, 21:28

Ahahah this was brilliant, thanks for writing it all down for us.
Purdey and food, it's a brilliant but lethal combo :lol:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Aug 2009, 05:53

Maartje wrote:Haha, I love it, thanks for typing it up! Especially the conversation about food is great, I can just picture them sitting there, just the two of them, while the only thing Purdey has got on her mind is marshmallows. :lol:

Philippa wrote:Ahahah this was brilliant, thanks for writing it all down for us.
Purdey and food, it's a brilliant but lethal combo :lol:

I love this writer for knowing Purdey is obsessed with food. Gambit's ready to throttle her after awhile because she won't quit talking about it. It's the whole book she complains, right to the end. There are still good bits to come, though. By the end Purdey and Gambit have been through the wars and are so tired they're bantering back and forth with abandon, even when it starts endangering their lives. I can hear the dialogue in my head, it's so perfect--Gareth and Joanna would have eaten it up.

More later. :grin:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 09 Sep 2009, 19:09

The best of the TNA novels, the brilliant Fighting Men, is currently available on ebay dirt cheap from a nice Aussie fellow. This is the book I've been quoting from in this thread, and I will be adding more lines from it here (as well as from some of my other TNA books as I dig them out. Assuming you guys like reading these lines. :wink: ) But I know Philippa was looking for one, and I said I'd keep an eye open, so if you still want Purdey/Gambit hilarity, clicky clicky.
Next

Return to The New Avengers