Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling (1971)

<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 29 Mar 2011, 21:25

It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling (1971)

For some reason I thought all episodes were wiped, but a BBC documentary on BBC4 tonight Sex And The Sitcom showed a clip - Joanna in a negligee, vamping it up in front of a typically nerdish 'Sitcom Man'.

Black and white and videotape quality but very watchable.

I wonder how many episodes exist - I know there weren't many made. I wonder why are they sitting on this and not releasing them.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Mar 2011, 09:59

Re: It's Awfully Bad For Your Eyes Darling (1971)

Have you been able to record that by any chance?
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Mar 2011, 10:01

That's very interesting! I had no idea that the episodes were supposedly wiped. I'll have a look around, see if I can find anything.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 30 Mar 2011, 10:10

thanks, Philippa!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Mar 2011, 12:45

I confess that I didn't know this was a TV series--I thought it was a movie. :lol: I had no idea they were wiped, either. It's entirely possible they weren't. Lots of TV series haven't been released because of rights issues or because they think there simply isn't a market for it. SFX has a monthly "Wot? No DVD?" column dedicated to just such series. (I doubt this one will pop up in it, though. :lol: )

Anyway, if they have a clip, it's entirely possible they have more knocking around. Considering Joanna's celebrity, you'd think they'd want to release anything with her name on it.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 30 Mar 2011, 13:27

I thought it was a play as well as a TV series. Didn't Joanna star in the play as well? Or am I confusing this with something else now?

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 30 Mar 2011, 14:09

It was a BBC sitcom of seven episodes about a group of London girls who all share a flat.

I have recorded it and it will be available on iPlayer for those able to access it, but it was two tiny clips and the idiot narrator decided talk over Joanna's scene. It's not worth uploading and posting - even if I could attempt it (I wouldn't know where to begin, frankly). But I'm encouraged it was included, when you think of the masses of sitcom material they had.

It's of particular interest to me because it starred Joanna and Jennifer Croxton, who was in an episode of The Avengers in 1968 playing a one-off Avenger girl (in Tara King's absence).

Joanna played Samantha Ryder-Ross and seemed a typical (post) swinging 60s girl about town, almost a young Patsy Stone really.

Jane Carr also stars - and she and Joanna became flatmates in real life after. I can't remember if Joanna has said much about it in her various memoirs.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Mar 2011, 20:53

Avengerdan wrote:It was a BBC sitcom of seven episodes about a group of London girls who all share a flat.

I have recorded it and it will be available on iPlayer for those able to access it, but it was two tiny clips and the idiot narrator decided talk over Joanna's scene. It's not worth uploading and posting - even if I could attempt it (I wouldn't know where to begin, frankly). But I'm encouraged it was included, when you think of the masses of sitcom material they had.

It's of particular interest to me because it starred Joanna and Jennifer Croxton, who was in an episode of The Avengers in 1968 playing a one-off Avenger girl (in Tara King's absence).

Joanna played Samantha Ryder-Ross and seemed a typical (post) swinging 60s girl about town, almost a young Patsy Stone really.

Jane Carr also stars - and she and Joanna became flatmates in real life after. I can't remember if Joanna has said much about it in her various memoirs.

I think Philippa may be right--I think it was a play, too, possibly before it was a TV series. Can't be sure, though.

Fascinated that it had Jennifer Croxton in it, though. Forbes and Purdey unite! :cheer: (Now if only Gambit would drop by... :brows: )

The bit about Jane Carr sounds vaguely familiar. I haven't read any of Joanna's bios in a few years now, so I can't be sure. The bits that tended to stick in my mind are all about TNA, unsurprisingly. :lol:
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 30 Mar 2011, 21:02

I know practically nothing about it's origins. It was written by Jilly Cooper, who is better known for her very upper crust, rather raunchy books (imagine a very jolly hocky-sticks version of Jackie Collins) rather than a sitcom.

After a quick search ... try this thread of the Britmovie forum. Not good news, availability-wise . :no:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/looki ... eries.html
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 30 Mar 2011, 21:17

Avengerdan wrote:I know practically nothing about it's origins. It was written by Jilly Cooper, who is better known for her very upper crust, rather raunchy books (imagine a very jolly hocky-sticks version of Jackie Collins) rather than a sitcom.

After a quick search ... try this thread of the Britmovie forum. Not good news, availability-wise . :no:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/forums/looki ... eries.html

Not very promising at all, alas. It would be interesting to see, no doubt. I'm surprised that they were still wiping stuff in 1971--didn't the budget extend to new tapes by that point?--but no one really knew anyone would still be looking for them 40 years later, did they?
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 30 Mar 2011, 21:45

I know for a fact that some programmes were wiped well into the 80s, sadly. It happened a lot less but it still happened.

The saddest part is when you get a plea - often on that very Britmovie forum - for an episode of a sitcom or series of an old actor who may have had just the one television part and it's gone forever.

Someone once asking about their grandfather 's part in a well-known series that they've never seen and now it's the old feller's 80th birthday or something, but now will never see because it was wiped.

I wonder if it might be worth reviving that thread and asking for a copy of the one episode (with the end cut off)?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 31 Mar 2011, 12:40

Avengerdan wrote:I know for a fact that some programmes were wiped well into the 80s, sadly. It happened a lot less but it still happened.

The saddest part is when you get a plea - often on that very Britmovie forum - for an episode of a sitcom or series of an old actor who may have had just the one television part and it's gone forever.

Someone once asking about their grandfather 's part in a well-known series that they've never seen and now it's the old feller's 80th birthday or something, but now will never see because it was wiped.

I wonder if it might be worth reviving that thread and asking for a copy of the one episode (with the end cut off)?

I'm surprised they were wiping considering the '80s were the start of the home video revolution. Sad to hear they were so short-sighted for so long. Nowadays every obscure, short-lived series gets a DVD release. It's a shame, particularly in cases where it was that one appearance that disappeared into the ether. Too bad. :no:

If you do revive the thread, I'm sure we'd all love to see it. Rare, old Joanna footage ought to be good. ^^
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 14 Sep 2011, 20:00

Thanks to a member on the Avengers forum a poor copy of the programme can be seen in this YouTube clip. 9 mins 5 seconds in.

Blink and you miss it but at least it's something.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Sep 2011, 22:46

Avengerdan wrote:Thanks to a member on the Avengers forum a poor copy of the programme can be seen in this YouTube clip. 9 mins 5 seconds in.

PURRR has the same clip, but in better quality:

http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avenge ... r_eyes.htm
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 15 Sep 2011, 01:55

LMAO. That's the site I thought was German and I totally failed
Good site that one. Lots of clips and scans
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Sep 2011, 05:55

Thanks, Timeless, it's really a funny clip, I just wish it was longer :lmao:
<<

Becky

Obsession

Post 15 Sep 2011, 10:37

Joanna's such a flirt ;)
<<

Avengerdan

Lumley Looney

Post 15 Sep 2011, 10:39

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Avengerdan wrote:Thanks to a member on the Avengers forum a poor copy of the programme can be seen in this YouTube clip. 9 mins 5 seconds in.

PURRR has the same clip, but in better quality:

http://home.scarlet.be/~pvandew1/avenge ... r_eyes.htm

That looks a longer clip too. Very good, thanks. I keep forgetting to bookmark Purr as it gets updated quite a bit.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Sep 2011, 18:20

LunaFive wrote:Thanks, Timeless, it's really a funny clip, I just wish it was longer :lmao:

You're welcome. :grin: Joanna's hardly modest in it, is she? :brows:

(Funny how Purdey never greeted Gambit at the door like that. :whistle: )

Avengerdan wrote:That looks a longer clip too. Very good, thanks. I keep forgetting to bookmark Purr as it gets updated quite a bit.

PURRR has most things that pop up on youtube, and a lot of original stuff, too, so I check it pretty often. There are lots of new Gareth clips lately as well, which I need to catch up on. ^^
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 15 Sep 2011, 18:49

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
LunaFive wrote:Thanks, Timeless, it's really a funny clip, I just wish it was longer :lmao:

Ha yes, that would have been something, wouldn't it? I think the laser would have burned that DVD with this scene since you would watch it over and over again :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Sep 2011, 13:20

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Ha yes, that would have been something, wouldn't it? I think the laser would have burned that DVD with this scene since you would watch it over and over again :lmao:

You know me too well. :thumb: It'd be a genius scene, you have to admit. :lmao:
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Sep 2011, 21:02

Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Ha, ha, yes I'll have to admit that!! :lmao:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 16 Sep 2011, 22:34

LunaFive wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

Ha, ha, yes I'll have to admit that!! :lmao:

Just for Gareth's expression alone. Shocked, but very very happy. :lmao:

Return to Other