Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Joanna related Youtube videos

<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Feb 2012, 15:42

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Ha, ha, that is a good clip! :lol: Joanna's very candid in that one. Here's another one from the same event. It's labelled Cheltenham Literary Festival 2011, so that must be where it's from. She was probably there promoting her book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1i8lCj ... re=related
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Feb 2012, 15:57

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Timeless A-Peel wrote:It's labelled Cheltenham Literary Festival 2011, so that must be where it's from. She was probably there promoting her book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1i8lCj ... re=related


Oh yes, I remember reading about that. As for the video: here's granny Lumley speaking. :lol: Mind you, I'd surely take off my headphones if I passed Jo in the streets and she would want to say goodbye to me. :whistle:

But yes: wearing my iPod whilst walking or biking through the city, guilty of that one. It's not so much a matter of trying to block out the world around me completely but it helps me to unwind after a busy day in college for instance. Even Amsterdam, though nothing compared to London, can be terribly busy and overwhelming and listening to music helps me to focus on myself instead of the traffic, the noises, the smells, ect. It's like meditation in a way.

I agree with her on the idea that everybody deserves the same fair chances. She's a socialist at heart, I like that :yes:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Feb 2012, 16:26

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

I have to admit, the idea of Joanna miming at people is pretty funny. :lol: I don't have an iPod, as you know, but I do understand how some people use it as therapy, to relax, etc. The biggest thing I worry about when I see people with iPods is whether or not they're aware of what's going on around them--I see people crossing the street without looking, and no way of hearing a car coming because of their music. Some of them almost get hit as a result. So I'm more worried about it from a safety standpoint than anything. If I wore one, I think I'd still be looking around, so I'd be able to see Joanna and say "hi" without her having to mime desperately at me. :lmao:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 12 Feb 2012, 16:51

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Timeless A-Peel wrote:The biggest thing I worry about when I see people with iPods is whether or not they're aware of what's going on around them--I see people crossing the street without looking, and no way of hearing a car coming because of their music. Some of them almost get hit as a result.


Haha aw yes, I see enough of those too. I've very nearly been hit by a car or tram a few times too, but it had not really much to do with me wearing my iPod (it's never on volume level 100% anyway) but I sometimes get so sucked up into my own mind that I forget the world around me. It often happens to me when I'm biking because it's a perfect break from what I'm doing.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Feb 2012, 17:17

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Mara wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:The biggest thing I worry about when I see people with iPods is whether or not they're aware of what's going on around them--I see people crossing the street without looking, and no way of hearing a car coming because of their music. Some of them almost get hit as a result.


Haha aw yes, I see enough of those too. I've very nearly been hit by a car or tram a few times too, but it had not really much to do with me wearing my iPod (it's never on volume level 100% anyway) but I sometimes get so sucked up into my own mind that I forget the world around me. It often happens to me when I'm biking because it's a perfect break from what I'm doing.


Ha, ha, yeah, I confess I do that, too--I'm too busy thinking, I sort of lose track of what's going on around me. Not good. Probably just as well I don't add an iPod to it, then. :lol:
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Feb 2012, 13:43

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Mara wrote:''DON'T GO''. I have a feeling drama schools all over the UK are having major facepalm moments now :lmao: I can see where she's coming from, although she must admit herself that some of Britain's finest actors did indeed finish their education in drama school (e.g. Diana Rigg) V funny though, thanks.


Oh indeed a lot of our great Thespians spent years at drama school, usually rather prestigious ones like The RSC or RADA, I don't think Jo's denying for a second that drama school is advantageous. What I think she's trying to say is that even though acting is something rather fantastical you still have to look at it from a logical point of view. If you can't afford to go to drama school, then don't go! And if acting is just a flight of fancy, don't do it! I think she's trying to disillusion people, to show people the gritty reality of the situation. I think because, as an occupation, acting is as far removed from reality as anything can possibly be, people tend to overlook the logistics. I think Jo's basically saying, "Don't bankrupt yourself to go to drama school when, at the end of it, you're not guaranteed a thing. Oh and actually, whilst we're on the subject, if you can see yourself doing anything other than acting then do that instead, because acting is a dreadfully cruel profession. You'll be out of work most of the time, you'll probably be very poor and you'll be rejected so often that it might end up destroying you."

But as Jo says, "If you have to act, then act." A lot of great actors say that they could never imagine themselves doing anything else, that if they couldn't act they would be desperately unhappy. It's those people to whom Jo appeals to, "If you can afford to go to drama school, then go. But if you can't, then don't. But find another way in!" Because she knows that people who are desperately passionate about a career in drama will not object to such hard graft if, at the end of it, there's even the slightest possibility of them being rewarded with a role.

That's what I got from it, anyway. :yes:

Mara wrote:Speaking of modelling and her youth, this is one of my all time favourite Jo clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC9r5-oG ... creen&NR=1

It shows how charmingly immature she was and yet how very little she has changed in forty years. ^^


Wow. What a tremendous find! Nice one, Maartje! I still can't get over how little she's changed in all of these years; she's as beautiful now as she was back then. :wub:

However, as charming as that clip is, does anyone else feel a tad uneasy when she starts talking about the injections? I've heard her talking about them before, on Desert Island Discs I think. God knows what they were pumping into her body. :no:

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Ha, ha, that is a good clip! :lol: Joanna's very candid in that one. Here's another one from the same event. It's labelled Cheltenham Literary Festival 2011, so that must be where it's from. She was probably there promoting her book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZ1i8lCj ... re=related


Oh, well done Timeless for finding out where that clip was from! I thought you said you weren't the Canadian Angela Lansbury! :lol:

I totally agree with Jo there; everyone deserves the same chances in life. Although, I do have to say that, in my opinion, closing the social divide in this country will come down to much more than education. Mindsets musts be changed before education can even begin to take an effect. :yes:

Oh and I'm very relieved to know that I wouldn't frustrate Jo if I were to walk down the street and bump into her. I never walk and listen to music simultaneously, that would most definitely be a recipe for disaster! :lol: I do, however, listen to my ipod on the bus/tube, (too many people in a cramped space for my liking, distraction is necessary for me to retain my inner cool) so let's just hope I never meet Jo on the Northen Line! :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Feb 2012, 13:53

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Joanna has talked extensively about the injections she used to get in her biographies. She recalls having them when she was pregnant with her son, before she knew she was pregnant, and shudders at what must have been in them. Between that and the supplements, there were some none-too-good things floating around in her body. :no:

I suppose I'm the Canadian Angela Lansbury only on a part-time basis. :lol:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Feb 2012, 14:26

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

And then they say that modelling today is an unhealthy, risky business to be in. Foodwise yes, but imagine having injections with unknown chemicals pumped into you. It's a wonder she delivered a healthy baby at all.

I agree with what you said there, Helen - spending money you don't have seems like a wise advice. But it's not the first time I've heard her talk about drama school and she's never very appraising when it comes to RADA, ect. Of course you can't really blame her: they turned her down and look how that turned out, but then again: if you really passionate about something, do it. In the end, all of us students have to borrow money that we don't have because universities are dealing with so many cutbacks that I'm glad they continue to exist at all. You are also very right when it comes to people's mindset - make the rich richer and the poor ones poorer doesn't work, we've seen that happen in America. But education's certainly a proper basis if you want to change things.

By the way, does anyone have a clue of how old she is in that video? 20, 21? She looks lovely but forgive me when I say she looked much, much prettier in her thirties (and heck, even in her forties)
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Feb 2012, 15:24

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Joanna has talked extensively about the injections she used to get in her biographies. She recalls having them when she was pregnant with her son, before she knew she was pregnant, and shudders at what must have been in them. Between that and the supplements, there were some none-too-good things floating around in her body. :no:


Mara wrote:And then they say that modelling today is an unhealthy, risky business to be in. Foodwise yes, but imagine having injections with unknown chemicals pumped into you. It's a wonder she delivered a healthy baby at all.


Deary me, I don't even want to think about it. :no: You know, Jamie must've been a resilient little thing to put up with floating around in all of that rubbish! :lol:

Mara wrote:I agree with what you said there, Helen - spending money you don't have seems like a wise advice. But it's not the first time I've heard her talk about drama school and she's never very appraising when it comes to RADA, ect. Of course you can't really blame her: they turned her down and look how that turned out, but then again: if you really passionate about something, do it. In the end, all of us students have to borrow money that we don't have because universities are dealing with so many cutbacks that I'm glad they continue to exist at all. You are also very right when it comes to people's mindset - make the rich richer and the poor ones poorer doesn't work, we've seen that happen in America. But education's certainly a proper basis if you want to change things.

By the way, does anyone have a clue of how old she is in that video? 20, 21? She looks lovely but forgive me when I say she looked much, much prettier in her thirties (and heck, even in her forties)


Yes, I totally agree; if you're passionate about something then, by all means, go for it! It's you're decision (heck, it's your life!) at the end of the day. I just think it's quite responsible of Jo to be giving young hopefuls a word of warning. :yes:

And as for closing the social gap, I must point out that when I said changing mindsets was the first step, what I meant was that people's view of the situation must be changed. Here in Britain we have tons of lower-class young people who don't go into further education, and don't set themselves high goals in terms of achievement and occupation because they believe that their class has already determined their path in life. This may or may not be true, but what I'm saying is that they need to believe they can do well and go places for them to be able to achieve it. They need to believe that their class is irrelevant. You can provide people with all the opportunities and education in the world, they're not going to snatch it up unless they believe it will make a difference.

My god, who knew that this conversation was going to turn into a sociological discussion? :lol:

Oh and as for the clip, I have absolutely no idea how old she is there, but I would agree she's in her early 20's. :yes: Timeless, it seems we have another case for you to crack! :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 13 Feb 2012, 16:02

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

I believe that interview was circa 1966, so she would've been 20 :yes:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Feb 2012, 17:51

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

I think we agree with each other Helen, we just have different ways of putting it. :wink: The social system in Britain seems even more divided than it is in the Netherlands, I forget that sometimes. It's sad though, when youngsters no longer see the point in educating themselves and decide to become low-paid cashiers for the rest of their lives (or worse, decide to stop working at all)

Philippa wrote:I believe that interview was circa 1966, so she would've been 20 :yes:


Just as old as I an now, then. It's safe to admit I'm slightly jealous - modelling, fabulous people and music, the 60s... What's life for me? University, books and the era of Gaga and Perry. Ok, and maybe a bit of partying. :lol:
<<

Heleno

User avatar

Cat Amongst The Pigeons

Posts: 145

Joined: 12 Jan 2012, 11:27

Location: London, UK.

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2012, 02:48

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Mara wrote:I think we agree with each other Helen, we just have different ways of putting it. :wink:


Sorry, I'm twaffling, I know. :blush: It's just I get caught up in the moment, post something, then read it back to find it's not awfully coherent. I'm then overwhelmed by the urge to clarify my position. What can I say? I'm extremely (maddeningly?) pernickety. :lol:

Mara wrote:The social system in Britain seems even more divided than it is in the Netherlands, I forget that sometimes. It's sad though, when youngsters no longer see the point in educating themselves and decide to become low-paid cashiers for the rest of their lives (or worse, decide to stop working at all)


I must confess that I'm one of the people whom you've just described. :lol: I officially left the education system last summer (although, in reality I hadn't set foot inside a school since I was 13 -- 'tis a long story, I shan't explain it) without a single GCSE (the compulsory school-leavers' exam, here in the UK) to my name. The result is that it's almost nigh impossible for me to find employment and enrolling myself on a course for further education/training is out of the question as you are required to have at least at least a English and Math GSCE to apply. Any employment I have been able to find over the past ten months has been low-paid and dead-ended, and I shall probably remain in jobs like this for the rest of my life.

I sound bitter, I'm really not. I left school because I hated it with a fiery passion -- I always have done, ever since I was little. I always knew I would never progress into further education; college and university were never part of the picture. It just seemed rather pointless to put myself through something I would hate every second of when I actually don't want to do anything dreadfully important. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. My point is, for me it's different. I want to work at Tesco, most people who actually work at Tesco (long-term) feel that they have no other choice, which is sad because, well, they shouldn't be feeling that, not even for a second.

Well, now you all know what a useful member of society I am, I think I'll shut up. :grin:

P.S.

Philippa wrote:I believe that interview was circa 1966, so she would've been 20 :yes:


Where do you get your knowledge from? And once you obtain said knowledge how on Earth do you manage to retain it? I feel like a mere fan amongst super-fans sometimes, I really do. Utterly miraculous! :lol:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 14 Feb 2012, 09:48

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

^Well I do have a knack for remembering useless facts. Stuff I need to remember for exams, not so much :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 14 Feb 2012, 12:42

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

Heleno wrote:I sound bitter, I'm really not. I left school because I hated it with a fiery passion -- I always have done, ever since I was little. I always knew I would never progress into further education; college and university were never part of the picture. It just seemed rather pointless to put myself through something I would hate every second of when I actually don't want to do anything dreadfully important. I know that sounds awful, but it's true. My point is, for me it's different. I want to work at Tesco, most people who actually work at Tesco (long-term) feel that they have no other choice, which is sad because, well, they shouldn't be feeling that, not even for a second.


Setting the record straight her for a sec: if you left school because you had personal problems, that's totally understandable. If you didn't finish because you don't like to go into further education: that's entirely your decision. :wink: It cost me a great deal of effort to even get into uni, so I find it sometimes hard to understand why other people wouldn't even want to, but that's my small-mindedness playing up haha. But Helen, you're still young - I can see why it's hard to find a job now, but it's not as if your future has already been decided. There is always so much you can change :hug:

If you work at Tesco because you want to: go girl. But I agree with you on the people who claim they've never had the opportunity. Work your ass off and go for it :wink:
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 15 Feb 2012, 07:23

Re: Joanna related Youtube videos

I agree with Maartje, if you want to work at Tesco, I think it's a good thing - see, if nobody would work there or in other shops - where would people buy their groceries etc.? And it's not that everyone needs to have a degree or something (I don't have that either, never went to university, never wanted to, to be honest), I think as long as you're willing to work at all that's fine. And you'll never know maybe some day something bigger will emerge out of that, too. :wave:
*Listen to the song of life*
Previous

Return to Joanna discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred