Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Joanna vs. Davina

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 21 Oct 2008, 18:32

Joanna vs. Davina

This might sound rather naive, and I you might totally disagree on me, but the more I watch Sensitve Skin, the more 'Joanna' I seem to discover in Davina. I wonder.. Was this part written for her? There so many similarities between Joanna and the woman she plays. Both had a modelling career, both have an elder sister, I remember Joanna once said she'd have a fling if she wants, and I also think they have a few characteristics when it comes to personality in common.. I'm not saying Davina IS Joanna, but she could be based on her..

I might be talking total bollocks now: please tell me. I've been wondering about this for some while now though.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 21 Oct 2008, 20:26

Re: Joanna and Davina

I think you've got a point there. I've been thinking about this as well. And ofcourse I'm not sure, but it might be true that the part was written for her. A few years before Sensitive Skin she did Up In Town, written and produced by Hugo Blick, so he might have written Sensitive Skin with Joanna in mind.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 21 Oct 2008, 21:04

So I'm not the only one then.. I suppose one can only guess - both series finished quite some time ago, so I don't think there's any chance Joanna will talk about this in an interview.. Maybe the US version will attract the media? Who knows.

It's nice to have you back by the way darling - did you have a good time? :party:
<<

Philippa

Post 21 Oct 2008, 21:41

Fucking fabulous time, thank you darling :D

And I hadn't even thought about that, there might be some publicity involving Joanna when Sensitive Skin US *pukes* comes out :)

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 22 Oct 2008, 16:44

Philippa wrote:Fucking fabulous time, thank you darling.

That's great to hear. :D I loved the pictures on your Facebook by the way.

I wonder what Joanna thinks about the whole US remake thing anyway.. First SS, now AbFab.. Of course there is no way she could stop such a thing, and I don't think she would turn it down in the media, but I do wonder what she REALLY thinks about it..
<<

Philippa

Post 22 Oct 2008, 20:53

Personally, I don't think she's too fond of the idea. But who can saaaay.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Jun 2009, 17:12

To get back on topic, I think I've found another similarity in the second series: they both seem to hate wearing polonecks, haha. However, Davina does get one from Al for Christmas, so they actually made Joanna wear one, poor her. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 28 Jun 2009, 01:44

I believe Joanna's afraid of them. So am I to be honest. Should add that to my list of what I've in common with Joanna :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 28 Jun 2009, 01:46

Yes, that's what I remembered too, poor Joanna! :lol: (they do suit her, though)

I really do love wearing polonecks in winter, because they're so warm, so I don't actually agree with you two, haha. :wink:
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 28 Jun 2009, 17:41

Philippa wrote:I believe Joanna's afraid of them.

She's afarid of them :lol: thats quite funny :tongue:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 31 Oct 2009, 01:51

Im rewatching a lot of Sensitive Skin now, and I find the fact that they both have just one child, an older son, quite significant too. I think that's why the American remake would probably fail: there's so much of Joanna in Davina that it's hard to imagine any actress could play her that way. Unless they - of course - are going in a total different direction, which would make it even worse.
<<

Philippa

Post 31 Oct 2009, 08:51

Well since they've got other writers on board, they'll probably change a lot of the details as well. At least that's what I think.

<<

abfab88

Don't Just Lie There, Post Something!

Post 01 Nov 2009, 19:44

hey I was thinking about the same thing, actually the dynamics between Veronica and Davina in SS made me wonder if it was like Joanna and her sister (who I've read things about in the papers previously)
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 01 Nov 2009, 22:38

abfab88 wrote:hey I was thinking about the same thing, actually the dynamics between Veronica and Davina in SS made me wonder if it was like Joanna and her sister (who I've read things about in the papers previously)

Yes, I've read that too. I was rather shocked to read that story though, and although I'd have never made the connection between that particular Class Act episode and her sister's name, I understand she foud it quite insulting. It suprises me Joanna has never mentioned this though - surely No Room For Secrets could have been an opportunity to make it up.

I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but you could very well be right. (especially since her sister once described herself as ''the jealous hurted old sister'')

Return to Sensitive Skin