Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Julia Sawalha

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 11 Feb 2010, 18:54

Julia Sawalha

Because she's the only co-worker on the show we didn't have a seperated topic for yet. :lol:

I admit I haven't seen Julia playing many parts, so her role in Cranford was a whole new experience to me. (after having seen her as Saffy mainly) I think she played her character really well, and she seems a really witty woman. Check out her interview on Graham Norton - fun!
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2010, 18:56

Re: Julia Sawalha

I've only ever seen her in Ab Fab!!

This month she is on the cover of the Woman and Home magazine- she looks SOOO different compared to her part as Saffy.
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:01

I have her season on Jonathan Creek, but I haven't watched it yet. She was great in Cranford, though. :grin:
<<

lauraa

Target

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:06

lauraemilyd wrote:I've only ever seen her in Ab Fab!!

This month she is on the cover of the Woman and Home magazine- she looks SOOO different compared to her part as Saffy.

I know, shes so pretty! I saw the magazine today and had a quick look at the interview, but it took me agess to figure out who it was :lol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:09

lauraemilyd wrote:This month she is on the cover of the Woman and Home magazine- she looks SOOO different compared to her part as Saffy.

I'm a mad collector of covers, so I'm definitely going to buy a copy when I'm London!

Julia really is pretty, which you very easily tend to forget when you watch her play Saffy. I'm glad Julia really wanted Saffy to stay the same: it's a great contrast to Eddie who will follow every trend that comes along.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:12

I have only seen her in Absolutely Fabulous. :happy:
I have never watched this but she was in Lark Rise To Candleford. :happy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/larkrise/character ... lane.shtml
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:13

bexyshortcake wrote:I have never watched this but she was in Lark Rise To Candleford. :happy:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/larkrise/character ... lane.shtml

I have the series on my laptop, but I haven't come around watching it. (you should ask Philippa about it) It's funny though, because she starred in Lark Rise with Dawn French. Yep, the acting world in Britain is a small, small world. :lol:

Anyway, here's a picture of her character.
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:16

^ ^ ^ ^ Yeah Dawny. :heart:
Such a totally different role to Saffy. :happy:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:22

bexyshortcake wrote:Such a totally different role to Saffy.

Absolutely, but I think that's a great thing. I like actors who accept as many different parts as they get offered, and don't play it safe. I would never have been a Lumley fan if Joanna had stuck to parts like Patsy and Purdey forever - Kate (Class Act) and Davina (Sensitive Skin) might not have been such well known, but at least they gave Jo the chance to stretch her legs a bit.

Anyway - back to Julia now. How about this? Sure you must get the insider's joke. :lol:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Post 11 Feb 2010, 19:24

^I was just thinking about that sketch this morning. Freaky coincidence :lol:

I love Julia, and she's so great in Lark Rise to Candleford. Her character, Dorcas, is amazing.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 11 Feb 2010, 20:54

Silly me! I did watch her in Jonathan Creek, that's a great show.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 12 Feb 2010, 00:31

lauraemilyd wrote:Silly me! I did watch her in Jonathan Creek, that's a great show.

Like I said, I bought season four (her season) but haven't watched it yet. I keep hearing about it, so thought I'd give it a try one of these days.
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Feb 2010, 00:44

I still haven't watched any Jonathan Creek. So many series, so little time :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 12 Feb 2010, 11:36

^ ^ ^ ^ Haha there are. :lmao: :happy:
<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Feb 2010, 11:41

It's really good, but it has been aggges since i've seen it!
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Feb 2010, 11:45

My dad loves Jonathan Creek and he keeps telling me to watch it :lol:

<<

JackieO

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Feb 2010, 13:45

:D I think we both do! hehe
<<

Froggie

Obsession

Post 12 Feb 2010, 14:00

I like her as Dorcas in Lark Rise to Candleford, but I haven't watch any episode since Dawn left the series.
I saw her too in Jonathan Creek and must admit I was sort of shocked when I saw her in bed with Adrian Edmondson! :lol:
I remember seing her too in a teenage series ages ago but Idon't remember the title : it was about students writing articles in a student newspaper.
Wasn't she in Doctor Who and the curse of fatal death too?
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 12 Feb 2010, 17:52

Froggie wrote:I saw her too in Jonathan Creek and must admit I was sort of shocked when I saw her in bed with Adrian Edmondson!

Deary me... I've never seen that! That's what you get with acting couples. :lol:

You're right about Doctor Who: she did play a small part in that, with Joanna in actual fact. Again: it's a small world!
<<

Cheers_Thanks_Alot

Really New Avenger

Post 12 Feb 2010, 18:00

^ ^ ^ ^ It is a small world. :happy: :happy:
<<

Philippa

Post 12 Feb 2010, 22:57

Froggie wrote:I like her as Dorcas in Lark Rise to Candleford, but I haven't watch any episode since Dawn left the series.
I saw her too in Jonathan Creek and must admit I was sort of shocked when I saw her in bed with Adrian Edmondson! :lol:
I remember seing her too in a teenage series ages ago but Idon't remember the title : it was about students writing articles in a student newspaper.

I believe the teenage series you're referring to is called The Press Gang if I'm not mistaken.

<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Mar 2010, 07:23

you are right, this series was called "Press Gang". Actually Julia is the reason why I'm a fan of Joanna. I saw Julia in Lark Rise and just loved it, then I thought, I'd watch her in AbFab and the rest is history... but Julia is a brillant actress and Lark Rise is such a nice show. When I watch it I have to remind myself that Dorcas is played by the same person who played Saffy.

Philippa wrote:
Froggie wrote:I like her as Dorcas in Lark Rise to Candleford, but I haven't watch any episode since Dawn left the series.

I believe the teenage series you're referring to is called The Press Gang if I'm not mistaken.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 Mar 2010, 08:13

That's interesting! I first noticed Joanna in AbFab too, but that's only because I'd just gotten quite into Jennifer's work at the time. I have just bought the first series of Lark Rise To Candleford but I have yet to watch it, might watch the first ep. tonight. I loved her in Cranford though, so I think I'm gonna like LRTC (another costume drama) as well.
<<

LunaFive

Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 Mar 2010, 19:20

Well, I hope this time my post will be okay... I really hope you'll like Lark Rise, it's such a nice show. And Julia is a totally different person there, it's quite amazing. French Dawn is very funny there, I am sure you'll like her role. If you liked Cranford, you might like Lark Rise, too. Enjoy!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Philippa

Post 29 Mar 2010, 13:29

I found this really gorgeous picture of Julia on Google that I'd never seen before:

Next

Return to Absolutely Fabulous