Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 27 Apr 2009, 23:02

Re: Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

Philippa wrote:^Haven't watched that one in a while, but it's definitely a good one. Birds scare me enough as it is, so this episode isn't helping ahaha :lolol:

I hadn't seen it in ages, because it's not a favourite, but the upside to that is that it seems "fresher" because my memories of it weren't quite as clear. I like Purdey's funky take on the bob with the flicked out bangs on one side. :grin:

Because I'm watching the show in production order, next up are my two favourites--Target and Faces. I can't ever decide which one I like better--they're both brilliant!
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 27 Apr 2009, 23:07

They're definitely both brilliant! One focuses more on Purdey, and the other more on Gambit, so it's practically impossible to pick one over the other.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Apr 2009, 23:16

Philippa wrote:They're definitely both brilliant! One focuses more on Purdey, and the other more on Gambit, so it's practically impossible to pick one over the other.

I'd never thought about that before, but yeah, Target's more a Gambit episode, while Purdey gets highlighted more in Faces, but Gambit is actually pretty prominent in both. He's the one Steed trusts to go undercover, and he's the one who puts the pieces together and saves the day in Target. Yay Mike! :great:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 28 Apr 2009, 15:54

I love both episodes - I watched a bit of Target yesterday in my hotel room, since the internet access is terribly expensive, and I haven't got much other video footage on my hard disc. (it's all on DVDs, which are of course at home) Anyway - I showed my dad some Purdey highlights which was quite nice, since I didn't know Joanna has been an Avenger girl...

More Avengers tonight I guess.
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 03 May 2009, 00:06

Last watched : Dead Men Are Dangerous

Ten years previously agent Mark Crayford had defected to the East – but not before Steed managed to shoot him .
Now the bullet lodged close to his heart is threatening his life and Crayford wants revenge .
He returns to England and starts on a campaign to tear up Steed's life .

A good solid episode , well directed and guest starring Clive Revill and the lovely Gabrielle Drake ... :hearteyes: This episode has some lovely Steed & Purdey moments .
Excellent stuff !

John Steed : Are you sure this is just lemonade , Purdey ?
Purdey : Well it looked a bit sad so I added a dash of vodka to cheer it up .
Mike Gambit : Oh well , in that case .
[takes a sip - it makes his voice horse for a few moments]
Mike Gambit : Not bad . You've invented a new drink . Vodka and fizzy lemonade .
Purdey : And bitters .
John Steed : To cheer up the vodka .
Purdey : No , to cheer up the gin .
Mike Gambit : Persuade aid ?
Purdey : Sounds a bit medical .
John Steed : A purdka !
Mike Gambit : Right , yes . Have a purdka .

:d
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 May 2009, 16:53

Dead Men was my very first TNA, and for someone who was coming from the Emma era, it was a good one, because objectively it's one of the best of the series, and it's very Steedcentric, so it eases you into the two new characters. Beautiful line of melancholy theough it, and the Purdka is brilliant (Purdey always seems to be able to hold her liquor better than Gambit, a joke that is kept up throughout the series, and is just another example of the series turning gender stereotypes upside down, like in the original). I like Gambit and Purdey's bout in the gym (Gambit's little comment about keeping her scissored between his legs until Christmas is good for a snicker). And Gabrielle Drake is quite lovely in it--even for a staunch Purdey/Gambit fan, it's a joy to watch her spark with Gambit. Definitely the best of his conquests--they click so well! :great:
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 06 May 2009, 21:27

Last watched : Tale of the Big Why

This is not one of my favourite episodes .
I think it's a bit on the boring side and only saved by some of the fun dialogue between Gambit & Purdey .

Mike Gambit : Purdey ! Are you ok ?
Purdey : Bit bruised , that's all .
Mike Gambit : I'm renowned for my healing hands .
Purdey : [referring to Brandon's dead body] It's a bit late for that , Gambit .
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 May 2009, 06:01

Eric wrote:Last watched : Tale of the Big Why

This is not one of my favourite episodes .
I think it's a bit on the boring side and only saved by some of the fun dialogue between Gambit & Purdey .

Mike Gambit : Purdey ! Are you ok ?
Purdey : Bit bruised , that's all .
Mike Gambit : I'm renowned for my healing hands .
Purdey : [referring to Brandon's dead body] It's a bit late for that , Gambit .

This one's actually well-loved and often lauded as one of the best of the series, but I always fail to see the appeal. Don't hate by any stretch, but there are loads of episodes I'd rate above it. Love Steed and Gambit hitching the ride in the manure truck, though. :lolol:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 May 2009, 06:35

I think 'the Avengers forever' even marks it as the best TNA episode, which I can not see at all to be quite honest. I quite agree on their choices of picking Target, Faces and Dead Men Are Dangerous, but I must say I find this one rather boring too.
<<

Philippa

Post 07 May 2009, 11:01

Tale of the Big Y is quite an enjoyable episode. But I would definitely not list it as one of the best either.
And I watched Sleeper again last night, I've lost track of how many times I've seen some of the episodes, even though I've seen some of the others only once or twice :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 May 2009, 17:11

Philippa wrote:Tale of the Big Y is quite an enjoyable episode. But I would definitely not list it as one of the best either.
And I watched Sleeper again last night, I've lost track of how many times I've seen some of the episodes, even though I've seen some of the others only once or twice :lol:

I know exactly which ones I've only seen a few times (ie, less than the two dozen times i've watched most of them, probably more). It's always the bad ones, like The Gladiators, or Gnaws, but they then seem shiny and new as a bonus. Sleeper is pretty well-liked, too, I think because it reminds people of episodes like The Town of No Return or The Hour that Never Was with the abandoned cityscape. It's not my favourite, either, but I love watching Steed and Gambit work together. :grin:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 May 2009, 18:05

Oh, I love Sleeper, it's definitely in my top 5, but not because it remembers me of any episode at all.. (I just haven't seen as much of the Avengers as I've seen of TNA yet)

It has quite a good plot, one of Joanna's most famous TNA scenes:

... good G/S interaction:

... and some funny scenes!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 07 May 2009, 18:13

Maartje wrote:Oh, I love Sleeper, it's definitely in my top 5, but not because it remembers me of any episode at all.. (I just haven't seen as much of the Avengers as I've seen of TNA yet)

It has quite a good plot, one of Joanna's most famous TNA scenes:

... good G/S interaction:

... and some funny scenes!

There's no doubting Sleeper has lots of good bits, the Purdey/Gambit kiss one of the highlights of the whole show (the first and only kiss in Avengerland with no ulterior motive. Purdey just kisses him for the heck of it! Whoo! :wub: ). And Gambit's closet full of PJs (it's all about pajamas, this one--Gambit's fall out, Purdey's fall down :wink: ). But really, there's some great Steed/Gambit stuff here most of all. They work like a well-oiled machine together, and they both do their share of the detective work. It's a nice equal relationship--the baddies never stood a chance. I like Sleeper--it would probably just miss my top five. I just love Faces, Target, Dirtier by the Dozen, Last of the Cybernauts, Midas Touch, House of Cards more. But I pretty much love all of season one without question. :wink:

(PS what do you guys use to get screencaps? I've tried some programs, and they never work).
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 07 May 2009, 19:03

Tale of the Big Why rated as one of the best TNA episodes ?! :no:

Episodes like The Eagle's Nest , Sleeper , Target , Faces , Dirtier by the Dozen , Hostage , Dead Men Are Dangerous , Angels of Death , The Last of the Cybernauts , House of Cards , The Midas Touch ... those get my TNA juices flowing ! :d
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 07 May 2009, 19:06

Timeless A-Peel wrote:PS what do you guys use to get screencaps? I've tried some programs, and they never work.

I just use Power DVD Timeless , but I guess there's a bunch of programs out there that could do the trick ... :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 07 May 2009, 19:18

I agree on your choices Eric - I have no idea why the Tale of the Big Why was picked as the best episode, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste too.

Timeless, you can easily make screencaps with nearly any DVD player - even Windows Media Player knows the trick... I use VLC player to play every DVD on my laptop: it's free, and quite fast. Just press the 'prt sc' button, and paste it in PhotoFiltre, and done!
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 07 May 2009, 21:20

Maartje wrote:I agree on your choices Eric - I have no idea why the Tale of the Big Why was picked as the best episode, but I guess it's just a matter of personal taste too.

Luckily we all haven't the same taste Maartje , it would be a boring world if we did ... :wink:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 08 May 2009, 05:52

Eric wrote:Tale of the Big Why rated as one of the best TNA episodes ?! :no:

Episodes like The Eagle's Nest , Sleeper , Target , Faces , Dirtier by the Dozen , Hostage , Dead Men Are Dangerous , Angels of Death , The Last of the Cybernauts , House of Cards , The Midas Touch ... those get my TNA juices flowing ! :d

I agree with a lot of those--I don't know why Tale fares so well. Likely because it reminds people of the original series, and doesn't reveal the plot too early. A major criticism of TNA is that we know what's happening long before our heroes, unlike the original series, where you figured out what was going on at the same pace as Steed and co. Still wouldn't put it as a top episode, though, even if Gambit does ride on a place wing. :grin:

I'll give the screencap programs a try. Can you tell me how Windows Media Player does it?
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 14 May 2009, 15:54

Last watched : Trap

Another so , so episode for me I'm affraid ...
The premise is good but the episode is handled awfully .
I'm mostly annoyed by actor Terry Wood who plays Soo Choy .
Why oh why didn't they use a real Asian actor for the part ?!
He looks so fake with that lame eye makeup , he squints most of the time and uses an annoyingly false voice !
Some great dialogue moments from our heroes though which save this episode for me from total disaster .
Here are some of them ...

Purdey : [to Gambit] Well you can be telepathic . About five drinks and ten minutes after midnight in a discoteque I can sometimes tell what your thinking . But this time ...

Marty Brine : She's not bionic , is she ? Purdey . I mean she's just so perfect I thought maybe someone had made her .
John Steed : Some have tried . Many have floundered .

John Steed : That was without a doubt the worst landing I've ever seen .
Mike Gambit : Well , we're all down in one piece , aren't we ?
John Steed : Not quite .[winces in pain]
John Steed : My arm's broken .
Purdey : Are you sure ?
John Steed : [a beat] It is my arm .

Purdey : Me Tarzan . No , that's not right . Me Jane . No . Me Purdey .

:great:
<<

Philippa

Post 14 May 2009, 16:12

That last line has been playing in my head for days, but I couldn't remember which episode it was from. Thanks for solving the mystery for me :great:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 May 2009, 16:23

Can you believe I've downloaded the TNA episodes ages ago, but I only just found out I'm missing one episode, which is Trap I guess... :hypnose:

It's kinda great on the other hand though: a brand new episode to look forward to!
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 May 2009, 16:32

Eric wrote:Last watched : Trap

Another so , so episode for me I'm affraid ...
The premise is good but the episode is handled awfully .
I'm mostly annoyed by actor Terry Wood who plays Soo Choy .
Why oh why didn't they use a real Asian actor for the part ?!
He looks so fake with that lame eye makeup , he squints most of the time and uses an annoyingly false voice !
Some great dialogue moments from our heroes though which save this episode for me from total disaster .
Here are some of them ...

Purdey : [to Gambit] Well you can be telepathic . About five drinks and ten minutes after midnight in a discoteque I can sometimes tell what your thinking . But this time ...

Marty Brine : She's not bionic , is she ? Purdey . I mean she's just so perfect I thought maybe someone had made her .
John Steed : Some have tried . Many have floundered .

John Steed : That was without a doubt the worst landing I've ever seen .
Mike Gambit : Well , we're all down in one piece , aren't we ?
John Steed : Not quite .[winces in pain]
John Steed : My arm's broken .
Purdey : Are you sure ?
John Steed : [a beat] It is my arm .

Purdey : Me Tarzan . No , that's not right . Me Jane . No . Me Purdey .

:great:

Trap is pretty much universally panned by Avengers fans. The sad thing is, the scenes not involving Soo Choy and his lame accent are pretty good. It's actually fun watching the trio run around in the forest, exchanging lots of good dialogue, and even the bit where Gambit's about to get his head cut off is good. If they'd ditched the lame drug plot and gotten a decent baddie, this could have been a series best. As it is, I got lots of fic ideas from it. The bit where Purdey talks about being telepathic at the disco was my inspiration for "The Anniversary." And Marty Brine, played by Stuart Damon, has me thinking "Champions" crossover. Too many ideas! :lol:
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 14 May 2009, 17:25

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
Trap is pretty much universally panned by Avengers fans. The sad thing is, the scenes not involving Soo Choy and his lame accent are pretty good. It's actually fun watching the trio run around in the forest, exchanging lots of good dialogue, and even the bit where Gambit's about to get his head cut off is good. If they'd ditched the lame drug plot and gotten a decent baddie, this could have been a series best. As it is, I got lots of fic ideas from it. The bit where Purdey talks about being telepathic at the disco was my inspiration for "The Anniversary." And Marty Brine, played by Stuart Damon, has me thinking "Champions" crossover. Too many ideas! :lol:

I totally agree about the forest scenes Timeless , they're fun to watch .
Gambit making a bow and arrows like a modern day Robin Hood , some sort of bola which he made from shoes and a spear for Purdey and last but not least a horseshoe for Steed ! And our dear Gambit comes very close to death in this one . Like you've said , this could have been so much better with a decent baddie etc ...
And what about that final bit of dialogue ... "Chinese take-away !" ... :lolol:
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 14 May 2009, 17:26

Philippa wrote:That last line has been playing in my head for days, but I couldn't remember which episode it was from. Thanks for solving the mystery for me :great:

:lol: , my pleasure dear ... :happy:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 May 2009, 17:32

Eric wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:

I totally agree about the forest scenes Timeless , they're fun to watch .
Gambit making a bow and arrows like a modern day Robin Hood , some sort of bola which he made from shoes and a spear for Purdey and last but not least a horseshoe for Steed ! And our dear Gambit comes very close to death in this one . Like you've said , this could have been so much better with a decent baddie etc ...
And what about that final bit of dialogue ... "Chinese take-away !" ... :lolol:

I love Gambit's improvised armoury. The bow and arrow is particularly fun because Gareth actually did archery in real life--he learned it for a role, and loved it so much he kept it up. He was too soft-hearted to ever kill anything, though, and he admitted he was really lousy with guns. :lol:

It's quite tense when it looks like he's going to get his head taken off, but as he says, he doesn't "faint or anything," and he'd have laughed if he hadn't heard that joke before. :wink: Those scenes are classic Gambit.

And it's just so much fun watching the Avengers running around outside together, something that rarely happens. With such tiny tweaks it could have been sooo good. As it is, I try to love the bits I can, like Purdey tackling Gambit and her American accent. "Let's head 'em off at the pass." "Purdey, there isn't a pass, but I can always make one if you're in the mood." :lolol:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers