Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 19 May 2009, 20:25

Re: Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

The latest episode I have seen is Complex. The Canadian episodes are - unfortunately - at the bottom of my list of favorites, but this is a rather good one. The plot isn't spectacular, but the idea of a demolishing building that kills everything and everyone inside it, is good material for an Avengers episode I think.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 19 May 2009, 20:27

Maartje wrote:The latest episode I have seen is Complex. The Canadian episodes are - unfortunately - at the bottom of my list of favorites, but this is a rather good one. The plot isn't spectacular, but the idea of a demolishing building that kills everything and everyone inside it, is good material for an Avengers episode I think.

The Canadian ones aren't great, sadly, (although I think Forward Base is very good). Complex isn't bad, either, even though it's essentially a remake of some original series episodes. Poor Gambit, forever getting arrested by the cop whom I'm guessing is OPP--and having to endure 008 jokes!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 19 May 2009, 20:30

Hm, so they've basically remade an episode, which one? (I can't tell because I simply haven't seen enough Avengers episodes...) Forward Base is quite good too, although I think I prefer this one, partly because of the humor in it. Poor Gambit, patiently waiting alone in his cell while having to endure cliché 008 jokes, haha. ''Gambit, you are WHERE?'' :lol:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 19 May 2009, 20:35

Maartje wrote:Hm, so they've basically remade an episode, which one? (I can't tell because I simply haven't seen enough Avengers episodes...) Forward Base is quite good too, although I think I prefer this one, partly because of the humor in it. Poor Gambit, patiently waiting alone in his cell while having to endure cliché 008 jokes, haha. ''Gambit, you are WHERE?'' :lol:

Brian Clemens liked doing the "Girl trapped in a building and having her head messed with" episodes. He started with Don't Look Behind You in the Gales, and essentially recycled it for The House that Jack Built, The Joker with Emma and Killer in the Tara era. Complex is more like Jack and Killer--there's an automated building in both.

I love Forward Base more, even though there aren't any 008 jokes. Come on, Purdey and Gambit in a swan? Putting the squeeze on an agent by reading the paper? Pretending to make out on the bridge? What's not to love? :lol:
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 19 May 2009, 22:54

You know, burn me at a stake but I also do love "Emily". There's just so many cool moments in there. And stuff like -

Steed: "I'll get the eggs."
Purdey and Gambit exchanging perplexed look.
Purdey: "Well, if you weren't gonna ask him, I certainly wasn't."

Or my favourite from that episode:
"If you'd won any more you wouldn't have been able to walk."

Yup. Definitely love that one. Not one of the best but still, I'm very fond of it. Especially the cat - sorry, car in the hat ... :grin:
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 19 May 2009, 23:33

Don't worry, I love Emily too! It's just a fun episode. The only one of the Canadian episode I don't like is Gladiators.

And it's funny, I'd never made the connection between Complex and the other episodes you mentioned Timeless. But it is true, there's an automated house in both this one and The House That Jack Built (brilliant episode btw :grin: ), nicely spotted!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 May 2009, 05:34

Khell wrote:You know, burn me at a stake but I also do love "Emily". There's just so many cool moments in there. And stuff like -

Steed: "I'll get the eggs."
Purdey and Gambit exchanging perplexed look.
Purdey: "Well, if you weren't gonna ask him, I certainly wasn't."

Or my favourite from that episode:
"If you'd won any more you wouldn't have been able to walk."

Yup. Definitely love that one. Not one of the best but still, I'm very fond of it. Especially the cat - sorry, car in the hat ... :grin:

I won't be doing the burning, because Emily's great fun if you don't take it too seriously. Purdey running through the car wash, Gambit getting accused of wrecking the car, Steed and Gambit carrying Purdey off and darn near pulling her sweater off in the process (I can't believe they left that in. It's hilarious!) And the eggs, of course. And Purdey tiredly playing the supportive woman as Gambit desperately tries to prop up his poor bruised ego after getting the worst of the fight. Good fun. But I love Forward Base best of all. The Canadian episodes aren't that bad if you're tolerant. I have to agree with Philippa that The Gladiators is the worst of the lot (except the bit about Canadian intelligence having an open day, which seems totally believable to me. :lol: ).

Philippa wrote:Don't worry, I love Emily too! It's just a fun episode. The only one of the Canadian episode I don't like is Gladiators.

And it's funny, I'd never made the connection between Complex and the other episodes you mentioned Timeless. But it is true, there's an automated house in both this one and The House That Jack Built (brilliant episode btw :grin: ), nicely spotted!

The connection has been well-documented--Brian Clemens admits he loved to do the "frightened woman in house" plot from thrillers, only with a twist because the Avengers girls never panic and fall apart the way most heroines do. Don't Look Behind You was remade as The Joker, but Complex's predecessors are obviously The House that Jack Built and (and this isn't mentioned, strangely enough) Killer. The Avengers love automation gone bad. Purdey's just the latest in the line--and it eats her skirt. :wink: I don't know if that connection's been mentioned as much. Maybe I am first. Woot!
<<

Philippa

Post 23 May 2009, 10:32

I haven't watched TNA (or the Avengers for that matter) for nearly 2 weeks now. I'm starting to get withdrawal symptoms :lol:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 May 2009, 13:36

* opening his doctors office*
How do they manifest themselves , these Avengers withdrawal symptoms ? :happy:

I'm watching series 3 of The Avengers currently . My very first watch .
I like them better then series 2 , those were hard for me to sit through sometimes ...
<<

Philippa

Post 23 May 2009, 13:41

Why thank you doctor :lol:

Series 3 is great, which episode do you like best so far?

<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 23 May 2009, 13:54

Philippa wrote:Series 3 is great, which episode do you like best so far?

Well , I've only just started watching this week (only 6 episodes in) , but so far I liked The Nutshell best .
Others I've also enjoyed are The Undertakers and Death Of A Batman .
Still 20 episodes to go though ... :wink:
<<

Philippa

Post 23 May 2009, 13:56

Yes, The Nutshell is a great episode!
And keep an eye out for Don't Look Behind You, one of my favourite Cathy episodes :grin:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 23 May 2009, 16:35

Philippa wrote:Yes, The Nutshell is a great episode!
And keep an eye out for Don't Look Behind You, one of my favourite Cathy episodes :grin:

The Nutshell is one of the best Cathys, I agree. It is a hard era to sit through, mostly because of the technical problems, but also because it has a higher proportion of dull or uninspired episodes than the rest of the series. But there are real gems to be had if you keep at it. Look out for The Wringer, The Charmers, and Intercrime while you're at it.
<<

Philippa

Post 23 May 2009, 23:52

Series 2 is especially hard to sit through. But series 3 is very strong, with a lot of great episodes, and only a few weak ones in my opinion. But then again, I'm a big fan of Cathy, so maybe I'm biased :wink:

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 May 2009, 06:17

Philippa wrote:Series 2 is especially hard to sit through. But series 3 is very strong, with a lot of great episodes, and only a few weak ones in my opinion. But then again, I'm a big fan of Cathy, so maybe I'm biased :wink:

I'm a terrible Avengers fan in that I can never keep track of which episode is in which season, but checking quickly I have to agree with you--season 3 is an improvement overall from season 2. That said, I actually like Venus Smith--I think she's a sweet little thing. And Dr. King is rather dishy (not a patch on Gambit of course. :wink: ) But there's definitely lots to see. I advise all fans to try all the eras, because I was really adverse to anything non-Emma, and then I found TNA, so it's possible to enjoy many or all eras of the show. Each one's unique and has lots to discover.
<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 24 May 2009, 13:53

I watched 'November Five' last night and thoroughly enjoyed it .
And I must say Honor looked absolutely yummie in it ... :heart:
Great to see David Langton in it as well , who I remembered as Mr. Bellamy from "Upstairs Downstairs" .
The music of Johnny Dankworth still hasn't grown on me unfortunatly .
I rather prefer Laurie Johnson's score ...
<<

Philippa

Post 24 May 2009, 14:05

I like November Five too, it's a good episode. And Honor looks great in most episodes, most of her outfits are really beautiful.
And I agree, I prefer Laurie Johnson's music too, but the Dankworth theme does suit the era, although it can be a bit overpowering sometimes.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 May 2009, 17:01

I find Dankworth's music rather repetitive and overbearing. Sounds a bit like newbulletin music, actually. "Tonight on the Avengers." I'm glad that Laurie took over.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 05:43

Over the weekend I popped in "Target" as part of my "watch TNA in production order" project (progressing very slowly, mainly because of Top Gear).

Target is one of my favourite TNAs--I can never decide if it or Faces is my number one, and it's easy to see why. Not only is it wonderfully shot what with the target range and all the doubles (Gambit's wears jeans! This must be the one time Gareth remembered being allowed to), plus the creative graffiti (what was it with TNA and graffiti? "I Luv Purdey." "You're never alone with a schizophrenic." That last one inaccurate, but anyway), and you've got a visual treat. On top of that, this is one of those episodes where they show off Gareth and Joanna's training to the full, and you can only gape at what fabulous shape they were in, and how nuts they had to be to agree to do all that stuff, in impractical footwear to boot! Running on rooftops, crashing through windows, climbing drainpipes, nearly getting blown up, tucking and rolling, shooting, throwing themselves around. These are two incredibly fit people doing everything without the benefit of doubles or trick camera angles, the real deal. It's a wonder to behold.

On top of it, of course, we get a wonderful dollop of Purdey/Gambit angst, with Gambit's vow to hunt down and kill those responsible if Purdey dies (the look on his face when he says "But it is Purdey" breaks my heart every time), plus the way he cradles her when he thinks she's already dead. Oh Gambit, Gambit. :wub: Never mind that it takes them all 300 years to make the connection between the darts and the deaths (duh).

Purdey's little teasing "I do love you" is good, too. And bonus points for Gambit in riding boots. Yes, lots to love in this ep. Next up? The other fave: Faces.
<<

Philippa

Post 03 Jun 2009, 11:12

I completely agree with your choices. Target and Faces are 2 of my favourites as well, and I can never decide which one I like better. Target is especially great for the action scenes which you pointed out, and of course Purdey/Gambit angst.
And Faces is actually just hilarious, great Purdey/Gambit dialogue, and of course Terry and Lolita. Those scenes are just priceless, and I can imagine that Joanna and Gareth had so much fun recording those scenes :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 03 Jun 2009, 13:21

Target and Faces, excellent choices ladies. :wink: Suprise suprise, but they're among my top five too, they're both great episodes when it comes to P/G interaction and I'd say the plot of Target's quite nice too.

Speaking of Target, I think I might watch that one this afternoon, it's been a while...
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 03 Jun 2009, 16:47

Philippa wrote:I completely agree with your choices. Target and Faces are 2 of my favourites as well, and I can never decide which one I like better. Target is especially great for the action scenes which you pointed out, and of course Purdey/Gambit angst.
And Faces is actually just hilarious, great Purdey/Gambit dialogue, and of course Terry and Lolita. Those scenes are just priceless, and I can imagine that Joanna and Gareth had so much fun recording those scenes :lol:

I have little debates all the time. I'll decide on Faces but then I'll think of all the wonderful scenes in Target and go for it. But then I'll think about Purdey crying over Gambit's death, and, well... Can I have two #1's? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 05 Jun 2009, 18:09

I've decided to start watching the episodes in broadcasting order again, so right now I'm watching The Eagle's Nest :grin:

<<

Eric

Sweetie Darling

Post 05 Jun 2009, 19:10

My last watch was Forward Base ...
This is one of the better if not the best Canadian episode .
Lots of humor , bizarre chases in plastic swans (Purdey : 'Step on it Gambit !' - Gambit : I am stepping on it !) It's pure Avengers entertainment .

If I had to make a top 4 of the Canadian episodes , mine would look like this ...

1. Forward Base
2. Complex
3. Emily
4. The Gladiators
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 05 Jun 2009, 21:55

Gladiators

Not the best of episodes but i kinda like it :whistle:

I love Purdys hair in this one it looks diferent to the earlier canadian episodes, i also love the russian ambassador, him and steed are fab when there in the office and hes teling him he has the caviar the way steed likes it while the other guy just looks on in bemusment :lol: :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to The New Avengers