Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 05 Jun 2009, 22:31

Re: Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

I actually love all the TNA episodes, some better than others, but the only one I couldn't really stand was Gladiators. That's the reason why I've only seen it once, about 1.5 years ago. Perhaps I should give it another go, since I can't even exactly remember what happens in the episode, only that I didn't really enjoy watching.

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:14

Philippa wrote:I actually love all the TNA episodes, some better than others, but the only one I couldn't really stand was Gladiators. That's the reason why I've only seen it once, about 1.5 years ago. Perhaps I should give it another go, since I can't even exactly remember what happens in the episode, only that I didn't really enjoy watching.

The Gladiators is one of the worst episodes of the series, I agree. Haven't watched it in ages, but because of that, it'll be new when I see it again. All Avengers episodes I'm not big on become new to me when I see them again, so there's at least one perk to them. I do love the open day at Canadian Intelligence, though, because I can totally see us doing that--Canada is like that. I'd go. :wink:

But Forward Base is my favourite Canadian ep. Swans! Swans!

If you're going to try watching the series from the start, Philippa, can I recommend production order? That's what I'm doing now, and it gives you a real insight into how the show and the characters involved. And you can watch Joanna's hair grow. Avengers fan love doing that with all eras for the same reasons. See the Avengers girl's hair grow!
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:17

Good idea, might do that. But Eagle's Nest was still the first one right? :d

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jun 2009, 02:21

Philippa wrote:Good idea, might do that. But Eagle's Nest was still the first one right? :d

Yep! (Gareth and Joanna aren't quite into their characters yet). You can just do what I do and follow David K. Smith's episode guide--all the episodes are listed in production order. I've got Faces up next.

http://theavengers.tv/forever/newave.htm
<<

Khell

Sweetie Darling

Post 06 Jun 2009, 11:25

Ok, that explains why they're showing the German episodes in a different order than what I'm used to from the newer of the New Avengers DVD-sets ... I started at Purdey's flat yesterday. One day, you see Kane thrash it for good. the next day, everything's there again. Was kinda going like "whew, the Department's clean-up-team's really GOOD!" ... :tongue:
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 06 Jun 2009, 15:17

Timeless A-Peel wrote: But Forward Base is my favourite Canadian ep. Swans! Swans!

Forward Base is the only episode i havent seen yet i know :chair:
Theres alot of talk about swans for this ep i think im gunna have to watch it to understand :lol:

My fav episode has to be House of Cards, i love Target, Faces and Last of the Cybernaughts too but House of Cards was the 1st one i watched and has just stuck. Love it :heart:
<<

Philippa

Post 06 Jun 2009, 15:26

All the TNA episodes are on my YouTube channel, so you can watch Forward Base there :d

<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 06 Jun 2009, 15:30

Ooo il have to check it out thanks (:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 06 Jun 2009, 17:03

Khell wrote:Ok, that explains why they're showing the German episodes in a different order than what I'm used to from the newer of the New Avengers DVD-sets ... I started at Purdey's flat yesterday. One day, you see Kane thrash it for good. the next day, everything's there again. Was kinda going like "whew, the Department's clean-up-team's really GOOD!" ... :tongue:

Also remember most of Cybernauts takes place a year later, like Gnaws, so presumably in 1977. It should actually be considered part of the season 2 timeline. So Purdey's flat survives all of season one, then gets trashed and she redoes it in Medium Rare. It works as a rationalisation. :lol:

M-J;;W wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:But Forward Base is my favourite Canadian ep. Swans! Swans!

Forward Base is the only episode i havent seen yet i know :chair:
Theres alot of talk about swans for this ep i think im gunna have to watch it to understand :lol:

My fav episode has to be House of Cards, i love Target, Faces and Last of the Cybernaughts too but House of Cards was the 1st one i watched and has just stuck. Love it :heart:

You'll like Forward Base. The swans are worth it. :wink:

You've hit a lot of my favourites--Target and Faces are tied for number one, and I love Cybernauts and House of Cards, which stuck in my mind a great deal when I watched the show on TV and I finally saw season one. There's a lot of atmosphere to Cards, and Purdey getting surprised by Gambit in her flat is pretty fun, too. :lol:
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 12 Jun 2009, 14:32

So i FINALLY watched Forward Base last night :great:
You guys were right defo the best canadian episode good plotline :D

SWANS!! :lolol: I have to get one those :tongue: How funny did Gambit and Purdey look goin down the river in them and when Steed got in with Gambit hahaha!

Trust Gambit to come up with the idea of him and Purdey bein a couple on the bridge :brows: && that poor canadian guy he just got so confused through the whole episode :lol:

:heart: Loved it, cant believe i left it til last "/
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 12 Jun 2009, 17:01

M-J;;W wrote:So i FINALLY watched Forward Base last night :great:

SWANS!! :lolol: I have to get one those :tongue: How funny did Gambit and Purdey look goin down the river in them and when Steed got in with Gambit hahaha!

Trust Gambit to come up with the idea of him and Purdey bein a couple on the bridge :brows: && that poor canadian guy he just got so confused through the whole episode :lol:

It's fun, isn't it? I'd forgotten that Steed got in as well. "Shall you drive, or should I?" "Well, it is a left-handed swan." :lmao:

I love the argument from last Tuesday, too, which Purdey keeps bringing up and reiterating (and which Gambit walks out on halfway through). In Gambit's defense, if Purdey didn't want him to leap on the "couple" cover, she shouldn't have snuggled up to him when she told him about the swans. Whoops!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's good to leave a good ep 'til last, don't you think?
<<

M-J;;W

Donkey

Post 12 Jun 2009, 20:36

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
M-J;;W wrote:So i FINALLY watched Forward Base last night :great:

It's fun, isn't it? I'd forgotten that Steed got in as well. "Shall you drive, or should I?" "Well, it is a left-handed swan." :lmao:

I love the argument from last Tuesday, too, which Purdey keeps bringing up and reiterating (and which Gambit walks out on halfway through). In Gambit's defense, if Purdey didn't want him to leap on the "couple" cover, she shouldn't have snuggled up to him when she told him about the swans. Whoops!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's good to leave a good ep 'til last, don't you think?

:lol: Last tuesday's argument, i love that reference makes them seem even more like a couple :tongue: && when Purdey looks over to him in the car and hes not there the look on her face :lolol:

Definatly good to leave a good ep til last :-D
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Jun 2009, 11:44

My latest episode is Tale of the Big Why, I actually quite like this one. Nice continuity, and the plot (whodunnit) is actually pretty suprising as well, I think. Plus, some fabulous scenes of ''Purdey'' on a motor bike. Now wasn't it a stunt guy that did those stunts for her? :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jun 2009, 11:49

Yeah the only thing Joanna really couldn't do was ride a motorbike, so someone else did those scenes for her. I believe it had something to do with insurance as well..

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2009, 11:52

Hm, well, I can see why, I mean - learning how to ride a motor bike is not something you do in thirty minutes... Insurance might have been a problem too, although it's hard to imagine riding a bike was being more dangerous than running around on rooftops and hanging on stepladders from a flying helicopter... :lol:
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jun 2009, 11:54

Yeah well it is common knowledge that they weren't insured for the helicopter stint :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 13 Jun 2009, 12:01

Exactly. So how could riding a bike - beside the fact that she could't do it - be so much of a problem? :tongue:

Anyway, I do like this episode, although it's been ages since I last watched this one.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 13 Jun 2009, 17:09

Maartje wrote:My latest episode is Tale of the Big Why, I actually quite like this one. Nice continuity, and the plot (whodunnit) is actually pretty suprising as well, I think. Plus, some fabulous scenes of ''Purdey'' on a motor bike. Now wasn't it a stunt guy that did those stunts for her? :lol:

It was often a man, but they also used a stuntwoman, Wendy Cooper, when they "really had to show it was a girl." They gave Joanna a lunch hour(!) to learn, but she only managed the "slowest, most gormless things." You'll notice if you watch Big Why that Joanna coasts a bit to a stop in one scene--that was as much as she could manage. The rest of the time they do marvelous cutting jobs to make it look like she really is driving. But no, they never had insurance, which meant they were perpetually afraid Gareth or Joanna was going to fall off something and break their neck/leg/head. Usually they just ended up bleeding on something. But that helicopter scene...yikes! "Watch out for the trees!" Thanks a lot, eh? :lol:
Previous

Return to The New Avengers