Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 12 Jan 2009, 11:09

Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

The latest episode I've seen is 'Dirtier by the dozen'
Great episode, Purdey in red, Gambit in uniform...anyway drifting off.
It's a very good episode, good plot. A lot of great Purdey moments in this episode. Purdey running through the field when she sees the wounded man, Purdey in the bar with the soldiers. Purdey getting locked up: What, no hair-dryer? :lol:
The little scene when Gambit and Purdey are both whistling to locate each other is really lovely too. What do we do now, build a nest?
Another scene I really like is when Steed is talking to that army man, whilst his group is practising. He just continues to talk, while throwing handgranates, ducking away from gunshots, and they don't seem to be the least bit impressed by it. All the time they remain absolutely calm and continue to discuss their case.
Purdey talking to Steed on the phone when she's at Gambit's is hilarious too, the way she's impersonating all the noises she's hearing because Steed's calling from the "battlefield".
And ofcourse the end of the episode! Purdey handing Gambit her bra so he can use it as a catapult. And at the very end Purdey running into the minefield and getting rescued by that helicopter. The best moment ever is when she's being handed a bottle of champagne, and she just hangs on that ladder, drinking a glass of champagne. Brilliant ending to a fantastic episode :grin: :wub:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 13 Jan 2009, 02:55

Re: Latest episode you've seen *spoilers*

Ah, "Dirtier." A favourite. It's a real Gambit story, which is a rarity. He's the one to initiate the case, and pull Purdey in. Steed's inquiries simply dovetail.

Also, Gambit in a uniform. I think that has a lot to do with why I like it. Gareth has a great figure and fills it out nicely. They should have put him in one of those lovely British Naval uniforms. He would've looked awesome in it! :wub:

Ahem. :blush:

But there's lots more, too, including the scenes you mentioned--Purdey's sound effects andtrip on the ladder (done by Joanna so they wouldn't have to pay the stuntwoman. She was busy sleeping in the back of the car and they dragged her out for it). I also like this one because Purdey and Gambit do a lot of runnign around outside, and you can tell it's actually cold because you see their breath. Also, Purdey spends a lot of time ducking behind Mike and touching his back. Coupled with "Bra-vo!" and the way she flips him over, and you've got lots of great little moments. But one of the best has to be the moment Gambit realises Purdey's trapped in the minefield. Gareth's expression is one of absolute terror, then slides into despair as he realises the only way to save Purdey is to give up hs gun. After all that and a kicking by those three other fellows (although using Purdey's leg as a diversion is a cheeky stroke of genius), and the poor guy has to watch Steed whisk her away into the sky (classic Avengers ending). It's not really fair, is it?

Bonus points for Stephen Moore as Steed's army friend Prentice. He'd later be the voice of Marvin the Paranoid Android in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy." I keep waiting for him to say how depressed he is. :D
<<

Philippa

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:24

Timeless A-Peel wrote:
But there's lots more, too, including the scenes you mentioned--Purdey's sound effects andtrip on the ladder (done by Joanna so they wouldn't have to pay the stuntwoman. She was busy sleeping in the back of the car and they dragged her out for it)

Yes! And as Joanna later said in an interview on Parkinson in 2007, they weren't even insured! :lol:
I bow to Joanna for actually having done that, it must've been scary!

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 13 Jan 2009, 13:27

Haha, I remember that! Personally, I don't think she realized what she was doing at all.. :lol: They had just woken her up after all, haha! Best scene of the episode must be Purdey clinged to the ladder, with a bottle of champagne in her hand: that sight is always good for a laugh, isn't it?
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 14 Jan 2009, 06:14

Philippa wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:
But there's lots more, too, including the scenes you mentioned--Purdey's sound effects andtrip on the ladder (done by Joanna so they wouldn't have to pay the stuntwoman. She was busy sleeping in the back of the car and they dragged her out for it)

Yes! And as Joanna later said in an interview on Parkinson in 2007, they weren't even insured! :lol:
I bow to Joanna for actually having done that, it must've been scary!

Ironically, considering she suffered from very bad vertigo, they always seemed to find reasons to have her running around rooftops in high heels and such. It's a miracle she didn't fall off or at the very least break an ankle. As it was, her and Gareth used to go home each night with bruises, split lips, and cuts. Gareth sliced his forehead open diving through the window in Complex, and still had the scar years later. Joanan chipped and cracked two vertebrae doing the stunts, I believe, and to this day if she doesn't sit ramrod straight, it hurts her, much the way it does Honor Blackman, who has no cushioning left between her vertebrae from doing fight scenes on the concrete studio floor. I love TNA because Gareth and Joanna did so much of their own stuff, but it really was appalling what they'd make actors do without any sort of safety measures in place. Yeesh.
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 14 Jan 2009, 07:30

Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love TNA because Gareth and Joanna did so much of their own stuff, but it really was appalling what they'd make actors do without any sort of safety measures in place. Yeesh.

I believe the only stunts she simply didn't do was riding the motor bike? Indeed it she was lucky she (or Gareth) never got badly injured - even if they were insured, it still would have been dangerous, but I guess there was simply no money? I must say: it looks great. Even though they can do a lot with make-up and such, you can often still see stuns are done by someone else besides the ''real'' cast...
<<

Philippa

Post 14 Jan 2009, 13:13

Yes it's odd in a way, they all did their own stunts and suffer from it one way or the other, until this very day. Except for Diana Rigg, who had a stunt double.
I wonder why only she had one. Ofcourse with Honor Blackman it's obvious why she didn't, because those episodes were more or less 'live', so a stunt double was impossible.

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jan 2009, 00:47

Charm wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:I love TNA because Gareth and Joanna did so much of their own stuff, but it really was appalling what they'd make actors do without any sort of safety measures in place. Yeesh.

I believe the only stunts she simply didn't do was riding the motor bike? Indeed it she was lucky she (or Gareth) never got badly injured - even if they were insured, it still would have been dangerous, but I guess there was simply no money? I must say: it looks great. Even though they can do a lot with make-up and such, you can often still see stuns are done by someone else besides the ''real'' cast...

Yes, money was tight, so they couldn't afford to insure. They never would have gotten away with it today.

Philippa wrote:Yes it's odd in a way, they all did their own stunts and suffer from it one way or the other, until this very day. Except for Diana Rigg, who had a stunt double.
I wonder why only she had one. Ofcourse with Honor Blackman it's obvious why she didn't, because those episodes were more or less 'live', so a stunt double was impossible.

Everyone post-Honor had a stunt double. Diana and Linda both used Cyd Child, who went on to be Joanna's double as well, at Joanna's insistence. They didn't think she could pass for Joanna, but Cyd lost weight ("Jo was another skinny one."), Joanna had John Freida cut a wig into a bob, and they got a duplicate costume and both ran in front of the camera. They looked enough alike that they brought Cyd on. She also ran Gareth and Joanna's fitness training in the gym. Gareth's double was Rocky Taylor, who worked on the Tara King series, and I believe occasionally doubled for Patrick (he was also the Cybernaut in all three episodes, including "Last of...") So both Gareth and Joanna did have doubles, and they were called in whenever things looked a bit too hairy. But the thing was Gareth and Joanna wanted badly to do their own stunts, so they fought to do everything they could, no matter how dangerous, driving included. The only things Joanna couldn't do were tap dancing (they brought a dancer in) and drive the motorbike (they used a stuntman sometimes, and a stuntwoman, Wendy something, when they really needed Purdey to look female). Gareth couldn't ride, but he learned for the scenes in "Target."

So I suppose they couldn't complain too much since they wanted to do it in the first place!
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 15 Jan 2009, 19:10

Very interesting, thanks for that! Can I just ask - how did you find out about all these facts? I've seen lots of interviews with Joanna, and many were about TNA, but this is all very new to me..
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jan 2009, 20:25

Charm wrote:Very interesting, thanks for that! Can I just ask - how did you find out about all these facts? I've seen lots of interviews with Joanna, and many were about TNA, but this is all very new to me..

Honestly, just years and years of reading things. I've been an Avengers fan since 1998, and a TNA fan since 2001, and I've literally read every book about the Avengers that's been published in English. On top of that, I've got a complete set of Stay Tuned/On Target fanzines that feature lots of good factoids (an interview with Cyd Child gave me lots of info about stunts), and I've other fanzines as well. I've also read all three of Joanna's biographies, and a couple of those go into TNA in great detail. I was also lucky enough to get my hands on some scrapbooks full of newspaper articles circa 1976/77, and those had loads of rare factoids about Gareth and Joanna at the time the series was being made, and I'm still accumulating photos with captions that have little tidbits on the back and magazines and such. Plus I've found a lot of stuff on the net at one time or another. I was really fascinated by TNA when I watched it, but was frustrated that there was so little written--it was mostly about the Emma era (which I started with and still love to this day), but there was so little about Joanna, and, in particular, Gareth, who's still my favourite. So I set out looking for new TNA stuff. I find modern day articles tend to rehash the same old facts (although Joanna, of all the Avengers, is the best at digging out new little factoids about her time on the show). So basically being a mad collector and terribly curious has pulled me along, and I'm still finding out new stuff. :wink: One of my favourite stories is still how she lived with Gareth in Canada, though. Do you know that one?
<<

Philippa

Post 15 Jan 2009, 20:39

^I believe the Canada story is in 'Stare Back and Smile' isn't it?
I haven't read that yet, but I'm currently bidding on a copy on Ebay, so *cross fingers* that I'll have the winning bid in the end. I really wanted to have that book for such a long time now!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 15 Jan 2009, 23:46

Philippa wrote:^I believe the Canada story is in 'Stare Back and Smile' isn't it?
I haven't read that yet, but I'm currently bidding on a copy on Ebay, so *cross fingers* that I'll have the winning bid in the end. I really wanted to have that book for such a long time now!

Yes, that's right. "Stare Back and Smile" is a goldmine of little known TNA facts. Some of the above is in there (particularly about the stunts). I highly recommend you get that copy. You'll love it.
<<

Philippa

Post 19 Jan 2009, 18:46

The auction end tomorrow and so far I'm still the highest bidder. Let's hope it stays that way!

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 20 Jan 2009, 00:12

Philippa wrote:The auction end tomorrow and so far I'm still the highest bidder. Let's hope it stays that way!

Good luck! I got a very rare TNA poster a few days back for 2/3's of the price I thought I was going to pay, so hopefully the luck is catching!
<<

JadoreJoLumley

Donkey

Post 24 Jan 2009, 22:05

i randomly caught an episode of this last night...first one i've seen...purdy has this weird cockney accent for a bit...i was totally laughing. and also her hair is so 80's....like victoria woods 80's bowl cut lol

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

Philippa

Post 24 Jan 2009, 22:06

^Is she wearing a wig, and pretending to be a fake Purdey?
That's a great episode! :lol:

<<

JadoreJoLumley

Donkey

Post 24 Jan 2009, 22:32

Philippa wrote:^Is she wearing a wig, and pretending to be a fake Purdey?
That's a great episode! :lol:

YES!!!! yes it was that episode lol it was really weird because i walked out the room and she was all posh then i walked back in and she had a weird accent. i was kinda confused!!! but it was so fab. and my god...joanna still looks as gorgeous now as she did then!!!

Oh it's a small shoe....
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 25 Jan 2009, 18:09

Ah, Faces. It's constantly competing with Target for top spot in my favourite TNA list. There's just so much fun to be had, with Purdey and Gambit playing their alternate identities and, despite not knowing the other is genuine, immediately lapse into a cruder version of their own bantering relationship. Gambit gets more to do with his hands, though. :grin:

Not only that, but we get some heartfelt emotion from Purdey when she talks about how wonderful Gambit was, and also the bits as Lolita when she almost drools over Mike's picture. Says it all, really. Purdey, he adores you, why on earth are you holding back?

Bonus points for a quick glimpse of Gareth's tattoo, and his look of absolute disgust that anyone like Lolita could ever replace Purdey. Oh, and "in-ter-course" of course. :wink:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 25 Jan 2009, 20:02

Timeless A-Peel wrote:Gambit gets more to do with his hands, though. :grin:

Oh, he certainly did. :mrgreen:

Great episode, you're right about the ending in which Purdey tells the 'fake' Gambit that her 'real' companion is ten times better.. (''only ten?'') I love they way they end up making fun of each other, haha, the both of them are more daring and flirtations than they ever could have been as themselves. I really enjoyed this episode - funny, but clever. Some very good insiders-jokes and so brilliantly acted by both Joanna and Gareth, both so obviously irreplacable.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 27 Jan 2009, 00:18

Maartje wrote:
Timeless A-Peel wrote:Gambit gets more to do with his hands, though. :grin:

Oh, he certainly did. :mrgreen:

Great episode, you're right about the ending in which Purdey tells the 'fake' Gambit that her 'real' companion is ten times better.. (''only ten?'') I love they way they end up making fun of each other, haha, the both of them are more daring and flirtations than they ever could have been as themselves. I really enjoyed this episode - funny, but clever. Some very good insiders-jokes and so brilliantly acted by both Joanna and Gareth, both so obviously irreplacable.

I love how Gambit's grin just grows when he realises he's been playing against Purdey herself all that time, and remembers all the things he got to do and say that he'd never have otherwise (not to mention all the marvellous things she said about him). Purdey, meanwhile, feels a growing sense of horror ("I said he had style! I said he was a thousand times better! I'm never going to live this down!"). It really opens up their relationship for once. Plus, we get the angst factor when she thinks she's actually lost him. Is there any reason not to love this episode?

(Did you guys spot his tattoo by the way?)
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Jan 2009, 11:22

^Oh yeah I spotted the tattoo :lol:

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:20

I didn't! Must go and watch it again now... :grin: (by the way - is it a real one? Jo used to have a couple when she did Pats, but I'm pretty sure those are fake...)
<<

Philippa

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:33

^Are you sure Joanna's are fake?
Because I wouldn't be surprised if they were real, to be honest.

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Post 27 Jan 2009, 16:49

Hm, they look kinda faked, but I could be wrong of course.. Besides, if they were real, we should have noticed them in Girl Friday as well, right?

(slight off-topic, but whatever... ;))
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 28 Jan 2009, 00:07

Maartje wrote:I didn't! Must go and watch it again now... :grin: (by the way - is it a real one? Jo used to have a couple when she did Pats, but I'm pretty sure those are fake...)

Yes, it's real, a dragon on his right forearm. He mentions it in the DVD commentary, about how they were always covering it up with make-up. In "Dead Men are Dangerous" they put a big ugly bruise on top of it, but every time he went shirtless they had to cover it over (and did a good job, too).

Pause while we consider the ramifications of shirtless Gambit...

Anyway, moving on, you can see it when he's shaving after being locked up in the cell. I have a screengrab if you'd like me to post it...

I doubt Joanna has any tattoos. Wouldn't really work with the modelling gig, and I've never seen any anywhere. Gareth's is probably a hangover from his navy days.
Next

Return to The New Avengers