Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

Lost Scene: Sleeper

<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 24 Oct 2009, 17:49

Lost Scene: Sleeper

Sometime last year I picked up a photo on ebay thinking it was a behind-the-scenes shot from Sleeper, with the cast sampling the catering. But when I got it, the caption on the back revealed that it was, in fact, a short scene that was shot for the episode, following the sequence where Gambit, Purdey, and Steed watch the S-95 sleeping gas demo. All the characters go to a reception afterwards, and the bad guy (the fellow in the sunglasses), who is impersonating Professor Marco, almost gets caught out when Purdey speaks Spanish at him. He's saved when Steed decides to go out to dinner, and the S-95 inventor invites the fake Marco back to his flat to talk about the gas. Someone on the Avengers forum actually has an original Sleeper script with this scene in it, but he'd always assumed it was never filmed. Clearly it was! Makes you wonder what other bits of filming were cut out?

<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Oct 2009, 17:54

Re: Lost Scene: Sleeper

Fabulous - thank you for showing us this! I think you've showed us this picture before, but I always assumed it was just a break on the set, or some promotional event or whatever. I never realized this could be a snippet of a very rare outtake - if only we had some more video material! I bet Gareth and Joanna were jokin' around all the time.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Oct 2009, 18:03

Mara wrote:Fabulous - thank you for showing us this! I think you've showed us this picture before, but I always assumed it was just a break on the set, or some promotional event or whatever. I never realized this could be a snippet of a very rare outtake - if only we had some more video material! I bet Gareth and Joanna were jokin' around all the time.

Me too! Especially since Gareth's checking out the buffet in the background (Gambit doesn't talk a lot in the scene, as far as I remember.) It wasn't until I got it and flipped it over that I saw the caption. They're actually filming there! Purdey's just finished speaking Spanish! Why would they cut Purdey speaking Spanish? Don't tell me you wouldn't have loved to have heard that?
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Oct 2009, 18:11

I remember you showing this picture before, and we weren't sure whether it was behind the scenes, or a scene that was cut. So now we know!
Definitely a shame that it was cut, I would loved to have heard Purdey speaking in Spanish. (Hey, if Cathy can do it :lol: )

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Oct 2009, 18:21

Philippa wrote:I remember you showing this picture before, and we weren't sure whether it was behind the scenes, or a scene that was cut. So now we know!
Definitely a shame that it was cut, I would loved to have heard Purdey speaking in Spanish. (Hey, if Cathy can do it :lol: )

Hey, that's right, Cathy did speak Spanish (very well, too)! I'll bet Joanna would have done just as good a job. :grin:

So, yes, it's definitely a cut scene, not behind-the-scenes. I was very excited to figure it out--I didn't even see the caption until I went to frame it. All the other pictures I'd bought from that seller were reprints, so I got this original really cheap considering. There's something hilarious about Gambit checking out the buffet, though. I have no idea why, but it makes me grin. :lmao:
<<

Mara

Top Dog

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 24 Oct 2009, 18:49

I'm pretty sure that if Jo's able to speak French like that, she can do Spanish too. I'm thinking of the Pink Panther promotion she had to do back then - didn't she once wrote about her saying a few lines for the Spanish telly? I'd love to see that.
<<

Philippa

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 24 Oct 2009, 18:52

Yeah she did some sort of introduction for it, on Spanish television. She was on straight after the news, so millions and millions of people were watching. Would loved to have seen that, or the cut scene. I'm sure she did brilliantly :grin:

And indeed, Cathy's Spanish was really good :happy:

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

Gambit's Companion

Post 24 Oct 2009, 20:49

Philippa wrote:Yeah she did some sort of introduction for it, on Spanish television. She was on straight after the news, so millions and millions of people were watching. Would loved to have seen that, or the cut scene. I'm sure she did brilliantly :grin:

I just heard her talk about that when I was listening to my audio NRFS. I remember she said something in Chinese or something, sang a little song for a TNA promo for the series that she had learned phonetically as a kid. She had no idea if anyone understood her or not. :lol:

Return to The New Avengers