Welcome
Welcome to Absolutely Joanna Lumley, a forum dedicated to the actress Joanna Lumley.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest. You're most welcome to join our forum, which gives you access to all forum boards and allows you to communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, and access many other special features.

We hope to welcome you soon!

New TNA DVD-box to be released!

<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 09 Jun 2010, 09:01

New TNA DVD-box to be released!

Hi, all!

Just wanted to let you know: The new New Avengers DVd-box will be released on June 17th. Available for pre-order on amazon.de - which I just did. ;)

http://www.amazon.de/Mit-Schirm-Charme- ... 268&sr=1-1

It's another box in the series that already released all the Emma Peel and Tara King episodes. I was hoping for them to do the New Avengers, too, so - yay!
It also means I'll soon have THREE New Avengers DVD-boxes: old one, new one and German one. :lol: Let's see if the versions are the slightly cut German ones or the uncut English ones. Gonna be interesting to find out.
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 09 Jun 2010, 09:52

Re: New DVD-box!

Oh thanks, sounds interesting!
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Jun 2010, 10:38

Re: New DVD-box!

Hi Khell!

Long time no see, how are you? :wave:

Thanks for letting us know about this new release - I'm afraid I won't order it though, as I've already bought this one a couple of months ago: http://www.amazon.co.uk/New-Avengers-Di ... 238&sr=8-3 (I'm guessing this box is the one you're referring to as ''the new one'', haha)

I'll be interesting to see in what language these episodes will get released though. :yes: (and perhaps - bonus features! A girl can dream...)
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 09 Jun 2010, 12:30

Re: New DVD-box!

Hi!

The text on amazon.com says:
German and English language version, audio commentary by Brian Clemens and Gareth Hunt for "The Eagle's Nest", "Avenging the Avengers" and something by Oliver Kalkofe remembering the New Avengers. Kalkofe's a columnist, also into satire and stuff.
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jun 2010, 14:57

Re: New DVD-box!

Hey Khell!
Long time no see indeed, how have you been?
That new boxset looks great, and I love the picture they chose. I still don't own a TNA boxset, but now I have to decide whether to get this one or the same one that Maartje owns :lol:
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Jun 2010, 16:34

Re: New DVD-box!

Khell wrote:Hi!

The text on amazon.com says:
German and English language version, audio commentary by Brian Clemens and Gareth Hunt for "The Eagle's Nest", "Avenging the Avengers" and something by Oliver Kalkofe remembering the New Avengers. Kalkofe's a columnist, also into satire and stuff.


Hey, Khell! How's life? (I'm finally watching Sapphire and Steel, and loving it. Rejoice! Told you I'd get there eventually :lmao: )

We've been chatting about this set on the Avengers forum for several months, now. Never occurred to me to post about it here. I actually posted information about it on the April 8th update of my site, as well:

I've also received word that TNA will receive a German DVD release from Kinowelt on June 17, 2010. Extras are said to include the Brian Clemens/Gareth Hunt audio commentary for The Eagle’s Nest, as featured on the earlier British Optimum release, the Avenging the Avengers documentary, a filmed introduction with German fan Oliver Kalkofe, a vintage TNA trailer used to promote the series in 1976, and German opening titles. More information on the set can be found on the Kinowelt website. With thanks to SteedMonk on The Avengers Fan Forum for keeping me up-to-date.


http://avengersanew.com/new.html

A lot of that's repeat--the documentary, the commentaries. The one thing I'd really love to see is the trailer promoting TNA, featuring the cringeworthy "newer than the newest thing there is" or something tagline. I'm told that there's footage of Gareth, Joanna, and Patrick behind-the-scenes or doing publicity or something in it, too, from people who remember seeing it in 1976, which I'd love to see. I'm tempted to buy it, but I already have the A&E releases and the later Optimum set Maartje just bought, so I don't know. If someone does, though, I'd love to see the trailer. Hint, hint. :whistle:
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 09 Jun 2010, 18:50

Re: New DVD-box!

Philippa wrote:That new boxset looks great, and I love the picture they chose. I still don't own a TNA boxset, but now I have to decide whether to get this one or the same one that Maartje owns :lol:


Well if you buy this release, we can exchange box sets. :lol: I really am interested in the extra features, but the only thing I'm worrying is the sound: I don't hope they've synchronised the original, English lines. I once saw a German dub of the b/w Emma's and it was just so wrong.
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Jun 2010, 19:16

Re: New DVD-box!

Mara wrote:
Philippa wrote:That new boxset looks great, and I love the picture they chose. I still don't own a TNA boxset, but now I have to decide whether to get this one or the same one that Maartje owns :lol:


Well if you buy this release, we can exchange box sets. :lol: I really am interested in the extra features, but the only thing I'm worrying is the sound: I don't hope they've synchronised the original, English lines. I once saw a German dub of the b/w Emma's and it was just so wrong.


I haven't seen too much dubbing--a little French TNA once--but I can imagine it would be horribly aggrevating if done badly. But I would like the extra TNA trailer. Everything else I already have, or isn't of too much consequence--the German titles I expect will look the same except for the text. Might be interesting to see what Oliver has to say, though. Khell, you'll have to let us know! :grin:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 09 Jun 2010, 20:28

Re: New DVD-box!

I really need to get at least one TNA boxset I think!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 09 Jun 2010, 20:36

Re: New DVD-box!

Laura wrote:I really need to get at least one TNA boxset I think!


Agreed. :grin:
<<

Philippa

User avatar

Patsy Stone, 39, International style and beauty guru

Posts: 7888

Joined: 26 Jan 2008, 23:16

Location: Edinburgh

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 10 Jun 2010, 00:44

Re: New DVD-box!

I've seen a bit of dubbing in both French and German and I thought it was just plain awful :lol: (No offence)
Image

It is a miracle I can walk at all. I bless the wonder of life and the newness of living ~ Patsy Stone
<<

LunaFive

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2673

Joined: 16 Mar 2010, 11:49

Post 10 Jun 2010, 06:31

Re: New DVD-box!

No offence taken! Acutally, I think Emma Peel's voice was very nice and I liked Steeds also.
But usually I go for the original voices, too.
*Listen to the song of life*
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 10 Jun 2010, 07:23

Re: New DVD-box!

Well, the German voices of Gambit, Purdey and Steed might sound odd but at least, they didn't make a complete mess of the dubbing. It's really spot on where bantering and stuff comes in. They didn't try to translate everything quite literal but instead, went for German expressions that mean the same and are just as funny in German as the English ones are in English. I also like the distinction Purdey, Gambit and Steed make when addressing each other. Between Gambit and Purdey, it's "du", between Steed and the other two, it's the more formal "Sie". Which, imo, fits quite nicely with Steed being the senior agent. It also puts Purdey and Gambit on kind of an equal footing. I re-watched some episodes on arte when they were on and even though they were in German (and I prefer original version nowadays), I immediately remembered why I'd fallen so in love with TNA. :)
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 10 Jun 2010, 11:39

Re: New DVD-box!

Philippa wrote:I've seen a bit of dubbing in both French and German and I thought it was just plain awful :lol: (No offence)


I agree. I hold nothing against the German languages, but I feel it's just wrong for a what is a typically British series. (even thought the translations might really be very good) It's nice to know the show gets so much attention over there as well though: it means we now have the Optimum releases but also the Germanic and Dutch sets to look forward to.

Edit: I just realised this is actually the 5000th post on the TNA board. Nice work, you lot! :squee:
<<

Timeless A-Peel

User avatar

Gambit's Companion

Posts: 8895

Joined: 19 Dec 2008, 06:38

Location: New Scotland, Canada

Favourite: The New Avengers

Post 10 Jun 2010, 16:23

Re: New DVD-box!

Khell wrote:Well, the German voices of Gambit, Purdey and Steed might sound odd but at least, they didn't make a complete mess of the dubbing. It's really spot on where bantering and stuff comes in. They didn't try to translate everything quite literal but instead, went for German expressions that mean the same and are just as funny in German as the English ones are in English. I also like the distinction Purdey, Gambit and Steed make when addressing each other. Between Gambit and Purdey, it's "du", between Steed and the other two, it's the more formal "Sie". Which, imo, fits quite nicely with Steed being the senior agent. It also puts Purdey and Gambit on kind of an equal footing. I re-watched some episodes on arte when they were on and even though they were in German (and I prefer original version nowadays), I immediately remembered why I'd fallen so in love with TNA. :)


Oh, I like that attention to detail--distinguishing between peers and superiors within the group. And I already love some of the translations--you recounted the one for House of Cards between Purdey and Gambit when they're arguing about going through the field toward the cliff: "Hang the cliff!" :lmao: Brilliant.

Mara wrote:I agree. I hold nothing against the German languages, but I feel it's just wrong for a what is a typically British series. (even thought the translations might really be very good) It's nice to know the show gets so much attention over there as well though: it means we now have the Optimum releases but also the Germanic and Dutch sets to look forward to.

Edit: I just realised this is actually the 5000th post on the TNA board. Nice work, you lot! :squee:


TNA has always been fairly popular in Germany, as far as I can tell. Gareth used to say that he could always tell when they were showing it on German TV again because he'd suddenly get these huge piles of fanmail, half of it probably asking him to please put them out of their misery and tell them if Gambit and Purdey were sleeping together. :brows:

Yay for 5000 posts of TNA goodness. :hyper: Dare I ask how many of those were me? :lmao:
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 16 Jun 2010, 16:08

Re: New TNA DVD-box to be released!

Got a mail today that my box-set has shipped - nice, since it's not supposed to be released before Friday. *gg* If I'm lucky, I'll be able to pick it up after work tomorrow.
<<

Mara

User avatar

Top Dog

Posts: 8647

Joined: 21 Sep 2008, 14:59

Location: Amsterdam

Favourite: Sensitive Skin

Post 16 Jun 2010, 17:34

Re: New TNA DVD-box to be released!

Khell wrote:Got a mail today that my box-set has shipped - nice, since it's not supposed to be released before Friday. *gg* If I'm lucky, I'll be able to pick it up after work tomorrow.


Fabulous! Would you mind leaving us a little review as soon as you've had the chance to properly watch it and all that? :wink:
<<

JackieO

User avatar

Absolutely Fabulous

Posts: 2744

Joined: 23 Jan 2010, 18:13

Location: USA

Favourite: Absolutely Fabulous

Post 16 Jun 2010, 19:04

Re: New TNA DVD-box to be released!

Please- i'd love to hear!
"Darling, sweetie, darling!"
<<

Khell

User avatar

Sweetie Darling

Posts: 356

Joined: 16 May 2009, 09:52

Post 17 Jun 2010, 07:10

Re: New TNA DVD-box to be released!

No problem. Just might take some time until I watch them since New Avengers is pretty much like Sapphire & Steel: Once I start watching, I get totally wrapped up in it again. And I gotta finish editing my NaNo-novel (from last year's National Novel Writing Month) into a half-decent shape so that I can get my free proof-copy at createspace.com. ;)

Return to The New Avengers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

cron

Hosted by © 2017 FreeForums.org | Create a free forum | Powered by phpBB
About FreeForums | Legal | Advertise Here | Investors | Contact FreeForums.org
Report Violation
suspicion-preferred